Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:57 pm 

1985 - 2005

RIP Rare.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:04 pm 

Yeah, quite a shame to see a fall from grace that hard.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:04 pm 

Tell me about it. Sega, Konami and Capcom used to be my favourite developers. :( In the 90's, they were unbeatable.

Capcom still has MH, but... that's about it.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:07 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Apparently Halo: The Master Chief Collection was released before it was even properly finished! My buddy bought it about 10 days ago, and the online multiplayer still doesn't work. Paying 60$ for a game that's not even really finished is an absolute joke.

Quality modern day AAA games.

Pretty much, yeah. The only reason I'm interested in this one is because I love Halo 2.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:12 pm 

Quote:
It’s stupidly simple. Remember the rumble pack? Well, nowadays most video game controllers rumble when you get shot in the game. That rumbling means that an electrical signal is being sent to the controller to let you know you’ve been hit. All we’re doing is re-routing that same electrical signal and using it to turn on the blood collection system.

WOT? I repeat, wtf o_O This is beyond stupid and I'm shocked they've even got a dollar in donations, check out the kickstarter below. My apologies if this has been talked about before.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... ive-gaming

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:34 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Orbs...Jumping....punching???

Hey buddy, how about a fucking trigger warning next time? That goddamn Blast Corps dump truck haunts my dreams to this very day. Sometimes I see real-life dump trucks and get panic attacks. "No way that guy's EVER going to be able to powerslide that behemoth into all of these surrounding buildings with any sort of accuracy or speed!"

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:33 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
So Dragon Age: Inquisition is fucking amazing? I'm in shock. I can barely even put into words how exciting and unexpected this is. First off, this is the first Bioware game where cross-game choices actually do make major, palpable differences. It's pretty much what Bioware promised ME3 would deliver but didn't. Unlike Mass Effect, where your previous game choices emerge in embarrassingly expected ways, ("Hi Shepard, you did X in ME1; here's some money") the decisions of your previous heros can show up everywhere: from major, world-altering changes all the way to quiet, subtle differences that you could miss if you blink.

I'm still chalking up Mass Effect 3 due to the forced accelerated time schedule seemingly put upon by EA and the problems with them missing the story lead that was forced over into the Star Wars MMO. Mass Effect 3, mechanically, is a fucking revelation. The combat is fast, snappy, and they struck a good balance between power customization and raw, third-person shooting combat / power usage. And to me, they successfully restored at least 50% of the faith they lost with me with the Citadel downloadable-content. That content pack was absolute prime.

I still feel like if EA gave them at the very least, another six months and at most, another year, I feel like that game would've been so much better than what it was. There's a lot of stuff that feels shoe-horned in, half-baked, or entirely missing.

I may have hopes for the next Mass Effect, mostly because that universe is one of my favorite.

I completely agree with the gameplay of ME3, and at least some of the DLC was pretty good (well, anything that gave additional gameplay anyway), but the impact felt very little in the end of the plot. I freaking LOVED Leviathan as a DLC, but it sure as hell didn't feel like I completed it when I beat the game.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:38 pm 

Um, so when are other devs going to start trying again?

Because rocksteady is fucking serious.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:00 pm 

Free dlc for rome 2 if anyone wants

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=rEsUXVRAGau4HyvT

Bede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:58 pm 

Love how the Batman: Arkham Knight looks like, can't wait.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:21 pm 

So I'm done with Street Fighter and am moving on to Smash Bros.

At first it seemed like a casual shallow fighter. Mash buttons and knock them off the screen.

But now I'm getting into more of the mind games and outthinking the opponent and it's really fun.

I tried to get good with Wii Fit Trainer cause of the LOL factor but she's not my style. I tried to get good with Shulk cause Xenoblade <3 But I don't think switching Monado techniques is my style. His hits are satisfying to land though. I tried Rosalina cause that's who I use for Mario Kart. She doesn't fit me either. They're all still fun but they don't fit me perfectly.

Then I found Zero Suit Samus. That's my main now. I like her mid-range attacks and then I can add on pressure with her dive kick, which I do a split second off the ground by rolling my finger across the jump and attack buttons while holding down. Like how you'd P-link in Street Fighter. Her dash attacks feel nice and aggressive. I like her throw range and I punish blockers. She just fits me perfectly.

I play the fun mode with the other characters and the glory mode with Samus.

My Shulk in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEkSe4OPmC0

Wii Fit Trainer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6CGdwbtOXg

Edit:

Xeogred wrote:
Um, so when are other devs going to start trying again?

Because rocksteady is fucking serious.

Holy hell does that look good.

So looks like when I get a PS4 for Bloodborne, I'll also be getting Dragon Age Inquisition and this game.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:56 pm 

December is not a bad month for PS+ subscribers:

Injustice: Gods Among Us – Ultimate Edition (PS4)
Secret Ponchos (PS4)
Hitman Trilogy HD (PS3)
Deadly Premonition: The Director’s Cut (PS3)

Final Horizon (PS Vita)
Titan Attacks (PS4/PS3/PS Vita)

Deadly Premonition is one of the most divisive games ever, so I'm vaguely intrigued by it. And Hitman Absolution sucked, but apparently the older ones are better so I can finally check them out. Cool.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:08 pm 

I have probably said this before, but it bears repeating; Hitman: Blood Money is one of the best stealth games ever, and you should definitely try it out, Morrigan. It's hard, it's expansive, it provides you with lots of different options to approach targets, and has an understated, yet noticeable sense of (pitch black) humour.

Indeed, Absolution doesn't even compare.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:06 pm 

Deadly Premonition is an absolute masterpiece.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:17 pm 

Soooo, I'm rather late to the party and have been working through Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I know the game's been spoiled somewhat by the 6 trillion videos of people screaming at it on youtube, and there are some very noticeable kinks, but I'm still really enjoying it - I guess I'm desensitized enough that I don't get very scared outside the occasional startle, but the atmosphere, layout and level design are entrancing enough that I love exploring just to see how the next section will look.

A Machine for Pigs, though - that had the best atmosphere, setting and "scariness" by spades. Too bad the tension gets ruined when you realize there's maybe 2 actual "scares" across the entire game...A blend of DD's length, puzzles, pacing and scariness with MP's plot and setting would be mind-boggling. Hopefully Friction gets it right with Soma.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:13 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Deadly Premonition: The Director’s Cut (PS3)[/b]Deadly Premonition is one of the most divisive games ever, so I'm vaguely intrigued by it.

Deadly Premonition is godly. I can see why people argue against the outdated mechanics, but most of the complaints I've heard are simply fucking stupid: the usual "graphics suxxx" argument, can't move while aiming, driving takes too long, the voice acting and story, etc. All of which I don't think are good arguments, particularly the voice acting (which is average to above average, depending on the character) and story (which is absolutely amazing). That said, by what you've posted in this thread, I really don't think it's a game you'll like at all. For some reason I think you'll hate it with a burning passion.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:57 pm 

It's not for everyone, right Zach?

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:13 pm 

In the name of Harman.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:19 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
I can see why people argue against the outdated mechanics, but most of the complaints I've heard are simply fucking stupid: the usual "graphics suxxx" argument, can't move while aiming, driving takes too long, the voice acting and story, etc. All of which I don't think are good arguments

I dunno, shit controls and tedious driving segments seem like totally valid criticisms to me...
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:30 pm 

Can't move while aiming =/= shitty controls. I still have no qualms with RE4 type controls, and that's basically what Deadly Premonition has; I get that people don't like that control scheme, but it is not an obstacle. Maybe outdated but I'd hesitate to say anything other than that.

As for the driving, I was the guy that loved how the sailing in TLoZ: Windwaker took a while, I felt it was very atmospheric and immersive, on that note, I really think it helps Deadly Premonition's quirky, sometimes mundane, sometimes off-the-rails, style of gameplay and exposition.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:32 pm 

Looking to pick up the Batman: Arkham Collection soon. Collections are great and save money, no point in getting each individual game. Origins seems like a solid game, the reviews seem mostly nit-picky with not enough people in the cities and not enough easter eggs as legitimate complaints. Oh and 'too samey' is hardly a negative in my book, maybe take a rest from Batman if it's too samey.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:05 am 

Nochielo wrote:
Can't move while aiming =/= shitty controls. I still have no qualms with RE4 type controls, and that's basically what Deadly Premonition has; I get that people don't like that control scheme, but it is not an obstacle. Maybe outdated but I'd hesitate to say anything other than that.

Personally I find that control scheme so unbearable that it does hinder gameplay. I certainly like games that use that control scheme but it's definitely in spite of it. Now keep in mind, I haven't played Deadly Premonition, but I have a buddy who just raves about it constantly so I definitely plan on getting it and giving it a shot, but if that amazing story everybody touts is tied to a really irritating to play game... well shit I dunno which way I'm gonna swing.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:27 am 

You don't like it, that's fair. If you made it through RE4, you shouldn't have much problems going through this one, but I guess that depends on much you don't like that style, really. The story however, is a grand spectacle, but I don't want to spoil anything. Let's just say the pathos is strong, had me thinking for a few days afterward.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:46 am 

Nochielo wrote:
In the name of Harman.

Master, we're in a tight spot!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:49 am 

So I'm looking through the Autumn Steam sale deals, and I see Alice: Madness Returns for $5. Worth it? I get paid Friday so I won't be getting it until then if it's still on sale, along with Double Dragon Neon.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:27 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Nochielo wrote:
In the name of Harman.

Master, we're in a tight spot!

Somebody got it!
Spoiler: show

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:13 am 

The driving segments in Deadly Premonition were fucking hilarious. I will never forget that for the rest of the my life. It left a mark.

Anyways, there's an item you can get that's basically fast travel. So that complaint is null.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:26 pm 

Xeogred wrote:

Overall? The story and characters redeem it, but the gameplay is absolutely horrendous. I think everybody should play the game, but stick it on easy and run through the shitty shooting bits.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:37 pm 

So about the Steam Autumn sale and GMG sales...
Spoiler: show

Fallout NV is a measly $2 (or $2.50? seems you need some sort of VIP email to get access to those additionally reduced prices but I'm not sure how it works, on the site I see the grey prices which are still pretty good). Would I like that game? I have a feeling they're not my type but I dunno... for that price it seems worth trying.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:52 pm 

How do you feel about Fallout in general?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:57 pm 

I've never played a Fallout game. I'm told it's like Elder Scrolls with guns...? I don't like Elder Scrolls but that's mostly because I find the combat shitty. Since Fallout is with guns, the first-person combat might be better though.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:10 pm 

I'm not an expert on the series but I did play New Vegas quite a bit. It was basically Oblivion with guns. You can forage the environment for food and goodies just like in the later Elder Scrolls games, and if you play on hardcore mode it is pretty fun trying to keep your hunger down and makes the game way more challenging. The guns are cool at first but...it is still inherently skill-based and rolls a number every time you 'hit' an enemy. So just like the worst aspects of Morrowind, you sit there shooting a target dozens of times and if you aren't skilled enough it does fuck all and doesn't even register as hits. I still had plenty of fun playing the game, mind you, but just like TES it gets sorta samey and easy once you reach a certain level. The VATS system is cool to watch but way too overpowered IMO.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:36 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
I've never played a Fallout game. I'm told it's like Elder Scrolls with guns...? I don't like Elder Scrolls but that's mostly because I find the combat shitty. Since Fallout is with guns, the first-person combat might be better though.

That is definitely true. Even though virtual dice rolls have much influence on the combat, the FPS mechanics still make half of the equation (except when you use VATS). What makes it interesting is figuring out how to be effective despite your skill-limitations. Stealth can also be fun because stealth attacks get massive damage boosts. What sucks is when you shoot someone in the head with a sniper rifle and they'll be like "t'is but a scratch" because your stats are too low.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:00 pm 

Pretty much in agreement with Diamhea above, but here's my thoughts comparing them:
Morrigan wrote:

Can you be specific? *puts up shield* I think Oblivion is one of the worst games I've tried to play. In Oblivion when you swing at something in front of your face it's all determined by stats/percentages. 20+ swings to finally hit a giant mutant rat. In Skyrim, you hit the damn thing in front of you and whatever your weapons/abilities literally come into contact with. I'm all for a stat based battle system, but not in a first person real time game... well then again VATS does this decently.

Fallout 3 doesn't have iron sights which isn't a huge deal. VATS is fun and actually makes the whole stat/percentage chances of hitting stuff make a little more sense. Various body parts have different chances of being hit, the harder to hit places like the head obviously deal more damage. Now you are never forced to use VATS though, which is kind of nice. At the same time, it almost feels like cheating sometimes. "Hey... I'll just PAUSE the world". I dunno. New Vegas had iron sights and you can totally play these games without resorting to VATS, but the precision/hit detection is never going to feel like a normal FPS. I'd probably take Skyrim's combat over the newer Fallout's, but I still prefer the Fallout games (sci-fi bias) and prefer guns over a first person melee focus for something like Skyrim (other games like Condemned or whatever are different to me and I prefer the melee combat).

I've beaten Fallout 1 and liked everything about it... except the combat. Point, click/shoot. That was the full extent of the combat. It was incredibly bare bones and boring, then extremely tedious if you want to play with NPC's because they will shoot your face up around buildings/corners on the maps. If you're in their aim of sight you're going to get shot up, and vice versa. It's probably better to do these solo, but harder. Having played tactical isometric games like Jagged Alliance before I played Fallout was a nasty change.

In the end the joke probably goes though... if you're playing these for the combat you're doing it wrong. But I get it, shooting/hitting things keeps it interesting and fun every once and awhile. Otherwise they may as well be point and click adventure games or something.

ie check out New Vegas sometime and see what you think. Still my favorite by a long shot out of the open world Bethesda published games and considering Obsidian developed did that one, the writing is actually good. You could just get one of those power glove weapons and punch everything as Kenshiro would do, one of my friends did a full run doing that apparently.

Last edited by Xeogred on Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:01 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Combat is noticeably better than The Elder Scrolls (as others have pointed out) but gunplay without VATS takes some adjusting to. Probably one of the best aspects of New Vegas is that almost every quest in the game can be done through other means (like diplomacy, sneaking, etc.). The closest (modern) parallel I can draw to it is Deus Ex: HR, where basically anything you were asked to do you could do in multiple ways to suit your play style. The game is very doable with characters who do not specialize in combat.

As a side note, DLC for NV is amazing. Old World Blues dialogues are sheer hilarity through and through.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:04 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

Overall? The story and characters redeem it, but the gameplay is absolutely horrendous. I think everybody should play the game, but stick it on easy and run through the shitty shooting bits.

You will never forget those driving segments.

Good or bad, it left a mark. I'm being slightly sarcastic obviously, but it is absolutely mindblowing and incredible that such a game even exists. You have to see it to believe it. Fucking hilarious.

In seriousness though, Agent York is probably one of the coolest main characters I've ever seen.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:01 pm 

New Vegas is one of the only games I've ever played that I both liked *AND* thought had way too much content. I have never not burned out on NV at some point while playing it, and considering I generally prefer the 100-200+hour RPG/RPG-lite types of games, that's not saying nothing. Still infinitely better than something like Skyrim, a game that actually made me feel dumber the more "immersed" in its awful world I became.

I'm working on a review for the new Dragon Age and, surprisingly, people who like challenging, real-time (with no pause) combat might be surprised. Bioware's reported influence from Dark Souls wasn't false advertising. Now if only they could've taken influence from DS's art design... :(
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:41 pm 

Yeah, I watched a friend play a bit last night and it looks worth checking out to me (despite not liking the first and 2 looked awful). But yes... the art direction is freaking terrible. lol

I kind of hear you on New Vegas. It'd odd, but I only put 60 hours into it. So I clearly did not do everything. I think I got ~15 hours into a second hardcore/hard run I was doing at one point too. I hit one of the DLC's but stopped there.

Over the course of two years I put about a 100 into Skyrim, which frighteningly doesn't sound like much compared to most.

Fallout 3 was fun, but I got really bored eventually and wanted it to end, think I only had 30 hours on that one, that's with all the DLC included there. The only one I liked was the one that sent you back to the past during some war with China or something. Was kind of cool.

It's why in the end, I still prefer games like Deus Ex, Bioshock, etc, that are more linear, but have branching paths for levels and such. I think I prefer a more forced narrative in my games as well and like playing as a character, not a faceless avatar that is supposed to be you.

Last edited by Xeogred on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:53 pm 

It does get better as you get higher in level, but sadly crafting material type (which there are literally dozens of kinds, offering all sorts of unique bonuses; from resistances to ability buffs to attribute increases) dictates the color of each armor piece, so if you want balanced resistances/varied bonuses, expect to be walking fashion catastrophe, sporting about seven different colors, none fitting with the others.

Dragon battles are fucking wonderful, though. Heavily influenced from Dragon's Dogma and that's a very, very good thing.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:57 pm 

Oh yeah, maybe I'll get Dragon's Dogma instead... :lol:. Still gotta hit that one up, looks awesome.

I'm still pretty curious about Capcom's Deep Down. Godawful title, but it looks promising. I just hope this "Souls influenced" trend doesn't get too out of control though.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 634, 635, 636, 637, 638, 639, 640 ... 940  Next