Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
UnholyBlasphemerAgainstGod
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:56 pm 

Oh man, I haven't beaten silent hill, and I just picked it up again. I haven't touched it in so long. Now I feel bad because I can't remember what happened so far in the game, and I STILL can't get past the hospital (the second hospital visit). It's so confusing. There's all these doors, and there's no map, and no direction. I refused myself a walkthrough last time and ended up just giving up. This game is fricken hard.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:19 pm 

Started back on up STALKER yesterday (appropriate, since apparently it was the anniversary of the Chernobyl disaster). There's just something so damn satisfying about the game's firefights.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:27 pm 

I need to get on that. My first encounter with a mutant in some sewers scared the piss out of me and I never tried giving it a proper playthrough again. :lol:

I've heard of a few mods for it that look really interesting. MISERY is one I'm looking forward to play.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-misery

Vook
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:45 pm 

UnholyBlasphemerAgainstGod wrote:
Oh man, I haven't beaten silent hill, and I just picked it up again. I haven't touched it in so long. Now I feel bad because I can't remember what happened so far in the game, and I STILL can't get past the hospital (the second hospital visit). It's so confusing. There's all these doors, and there's no map, and no direction. I refused myself a walkthrough last time and ended up just giving up. This game is fricken hard.

Don't give up, that is the best part in the game with lots of good ideas thrown in :)

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:07 pm 

Sokaris wrote:
Started back on up STALKER yesterday (appropriate, since apparently it was the anniversary of the Chernobyl disaster). There's just something so damn satisfying about the game's firefights.

Maybe because it's all so anti-scripted, even when it's scripted. There's a realism to the environment and the firefights and everything that most games are completely missing. Really feels like you're just some person wandering around the Zone trying to figure shit out and stay alive.

I still haven't finished it btw.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:27 pm 

STILL?!?!?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:02 am 

Yeah, they're frustrating as all hell a lot of times. Some guys you didn't see make the pipe you're hiding behind pointless or you just plain get shot in the head (it should be noted that it's frustrating but it's fair). But then when I pull off something cool like working my way through cover to perform a shotgun ambush or surgically taking out two guys with automatic fire out in the open I can't help but yell "Yeah, bitch!" at my monitor like I'm Jessie fucking Pinkman.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:13 pm 

Great game! if you get so confused navigating; try drawing up a map yourself, kicking it old school!

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Ba Zuulizx Karoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:00 pm 

That one old Pokémon Tetris for the orginal GameBoy... I love it because the rules are easy and it brings me nostalgia.
Plus Squirtle. I love that guy

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:23 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Sokaris wrote:

Maybe because it's all so anti-scripted, even when it's scripted. There's a realism to the environment and the firefights and everything that most games are completely missing. Really feels like you're just some person wandering around the Zone trying to figure shit out and stay alive.

I still haven't finished it btw.

I wasn't big into games when I first played Shadow of Chernobyl and the sense of bare-knuckle survival it gave me was unlike anything I ever played.

There was a moment very early on where i was trying to make it back to the camp at night, when I was surrounded by a pack of mutant dogs.
I heard them growling all around me from the darkness, they'd constantly feint at me. And all I had was the dinky starting pistol with barely a magazine.

That was absolutely terrifying precisely because it was not scripted;
No game designer was there to guarantee sufficient health and ammo or occasional respite. And as a result the threat felt genuine.
Even in Amnesia they'll provide you a hiding spot in the room when the monster comes knocking.
Not in fucking Stalker there ain't, you're on your goddamn own. And it was awesome.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:51 pm 

You guys have piqued my interest with all this STALKER talk. Sounds like a better experience than, for example, Amnesia. You see, I really enjoyed The Dark Descent and am very stoked for the sequel, but removing combat from a game is an incredibly cheap and lazy way of creating tension. It's bad game design. I'm starting to see this tendency towards "no combat" and it troubles me. I think it's better to let the player pick his/her battles and get them to ask themselves to fight or run instead of forcing them to run. It's more engaging and adds another layer of complexity. The worst part about seeing a fearsome monster in old school horror games was realizing that you HAD to fight it and you are running low on ammo. That's tension inducing.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:48 pm 

I didn't actually think much of STALKER, the guns were crappy, the actual parts that weren't out in the open were really poor, mainly due to that non scripted nature, since the game basically broke down to back yourself into a corner, make noise, shoot everyone who tries to kill you. The mood when wandering the Zone alone is absolutely wonderful though, and it is worth a play just to feel how downright oppressive the world is. It's just the actual plot points and when it tries to actually give you tasks to do which drag it down.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:19 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
Ocelot's in a grey area in my opinion. He wanted to fulfill Big Boss's visions no matter the costs. In the end, would it be worth it? Judging from the events of Metal Gear Rising, maybe not.

What we know about Big Boss for sure makes me consider him a hero. His next big game is coming up and we'll finally get to learn more about him as the story approaches his "villain" phase. Was he truly a villain or did the Patriots paint him as a villain?

The period MGSV takes place in is about the time where Big Boss started training child soldiers. I wonder what his motive will be.

Ocelot is one of the most interesting characters in video games, because up until the end of MGS4, you're never really sure where his true loyalties lie. He plays so many different sides all while working towards the goal of bringing back Big Boss. I think you're right - he's a bit of a grey area character - he seems to have noble intentions at the core of it, but he also goes about it in some terrible ways. For instance, why betray Solidus in MGS2? How does it benefit him, given that Solidus was something of an admirer of Big Boss and wanted to fight the Patriots? He's just a very intriguing character. He, like Big Boss, also seems to want to right the wrongs done by the Zero and the Patriots by taking away their control on society. Maybe it's just Ocelot being Ocelot, heh. :-P

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:43 am 

Ocelot is definitely a villain. He enjoys torture, FFS. Younger Ocelot isn't as bad, just cocky, but older Ocelot is a nasty old asshole. Though to be honest I think he's doing these constant heel-face turns just so Kojima can be all "look at how mysterious he is lololol".

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:07 am 

Ravenlord266 wrote:

Great game! if you get so confused navigating; try drawing up a map yourself, kicking it old school!

But there is a map in the game... or do you mean that section near the end made from parts of areas you've already been to?

FoolAmongFools
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:25 am 

Ravenlord266 wrote:

My friend UnholyBlasphemerAgainstGod tells me to say that he took your advice and finally figured out what to do! Thanks.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:20 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I didn't actually think much of STALKER, the guns were crappy, the actual parts that weren't out in the open were really poor, mainly due to that non scripted nature, since the game basically broke down to back yourself into a corner, make noise, shoot everyone who tries to kill you. The mood when wandering the Zone alone is absolutely wonderful though, and it is worth a play just to feel how downright oppressive the world is. It's just the actual plot points and when it tries to actually give you tasks to do which drag it down.

Try Call of Pripyat (especially with the Complete mod pack,) it fixes a lot of the gameplay wonkiness and useless guns. Best game in the series by far, and I'd argue the wandering atmosphere is even better than the original Stalker.

And now they're taking what should have been the sequel into some damn free-to-play online game... :annoyed:

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:56 am 

Better than a sequel never getting made.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:59 am 

At this point I'd rather if Bethesda had bought the IP and made a Stalker based on the Skyrim engine rather than some free to play garbage :puke:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:15 am 

Ew. I'm the exact opposite. Bethesda can't make a proper STALKER game. At least the people making Survarium actually worked on STALKER.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:28 am 

inhumanist wrote:
At this point I'd rather if Bethesda had bought the IP and made a Stalker based on the Skyrim engine rather than some free to play garbage :puke:

An interesting prospective. While the gunplay in Stalker wasn't top-notch, it was a lot better than the crap in Fallout 3 and NV (still excellent games, just weak shooting) so I'd be hesitant to see Bethesda do Stalker unless they put a lot of work into FPS elements.

Admittedly, I've enjoyed the occasional time I've spent on Planetside 2 so I know it's at least possible to make a free-to-play online FPS. If they keep the Stalker atmosphere alive enough I'll probably look into it.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:40 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Mars: War Logs is pretty fun so far. Essentially it's "Witcher 2 meets Mass Effect 2/3"... only on a significantly smaller scale (read: budget) than those games. The voice acting is mostly pants and the graphics are a bit monochromatic... but the actual game mechanics and story are proving far more engaging than most AAA games of today. I'm definitely finding it worth the paltry sum of $20 I paid (although apparently it was only $6 through spendthrift gamer champion "Green Man Gaming", buuuuuuuut I'm more than happy to support tiny independents like Spiders so I don't really regret paying more.)

Check it out!

It's $16, not $6, and also GMG's vouchers are come at the expense of their cut and not the developer's/publisher's (in fact, the publisher and developer were already paid for your copy when GMG obtained the Steam keys, so not using a voucher would only support GMG). Other than that, I second your impressions. I also enjoy the combat system despite its clunkyness for some reason.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:21 pm 

Just to be clear, I wouldn't be very enthusiastic about a Bethesda Stalker either! But at least Bethesda knows how to make fun single player games even if they probably wouldn't be able to recreate the real Stalker experience. Free to play is usually a recipe for crap though, but more importantly: Stalker should not be a multiplayer game! I just don't see Survarium as a proper substitute for a fourth Stalker, not one bit.

Last edited by inhumanist on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:26 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

Free to play games that shit on 99% of the triple AAA games released this year in terms of well-executed and complex mechanics, challenge and fun:
Tribes Ascend.
Planetside 2.
Mechwarrior Online.
Hawken.

$60 Triple AAA games which are filled with terrible gameplay ideas, wiffle bat/peashooter combat and a complete lack of challenge (IE: the antithesis of stalker:
Anything by Bethesda.

Also, I don't know how any of you guys figure Stalker had bad gunplay. It's one of the first games I'd mention as an example of guns actually feeling like guns.
I know most of the weapons you find are inaccurate piles of ass and recoil (hint: get the G36) and I understand why some people don't like that, but still, it'd be like criticizing a racing game because the 70's yank tanks in it handle like shit.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:36 pm 

STALKER gunplay was brilliant. The crap starting guns were just that, crap. Once you got your hands on a G36, you were a walking death-machine.

And I could see a multiplayer STALKER working, assuming they divide us into factions and shit-- imagine going out artifact-hunting with a squad of real-life loners, rather than the AI loners.

It could easily be like the single-player, and capture a similar feeling, if they do it right.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:47 pm 

STALKER would be sick if it was like EVE Online. Simply throw players into the Zone and they're free to form their own factions, markets, outposts, etc.

Speaking of EVE Online, EVE is getting a TV show based on player stories.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/28/42789 ... er-stories

I didn't play EVE much but I was always fascinated by the stories about the intrigue, deceptions, manipulation, and battles that go in in the game.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:05 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Ocelot is definitely a villain. He enjoys torture, FFS. Younger Ocelot isn't as bad, just cocky, but older Ocelot is a nasty old asshole. Though to be honest I think he's doing these constant heel-face turns just so Kojima can be all "look at how mysterious he is lololol".

Yes, the torture is something to consider. However, [MGS3 and 4 spoilers]
Spoiler: show
he was ultimately the one that orchestrated the plan that saved the world from Zero's domination. He does quite a bit of fucked up things along the way, but I suppose it's an "ends justify the means" kind of thing. Even in MGS3, The Boss killed her lover and the father of their child, The Sorrow, in order to fulfill her duty.
I don't see Ocelot as just being cut and dry as being either "just good" or "just bad."

EDIT: Sorry for not using spoiler tags before. Sometimes I forget we have them. :violin:

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Last edited by stickyshooZ on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:40 am 

Adriankat wrote:
STALKER would be sick if it was like EVE Online.

What a horrible idea.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:10 am 

Servers are closing for Monster Hunter Tri. Last few hours left for monster hunting coop. :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:57 am 

inhumanist wrote:
Adriankat wrote:
STALKER would be sick if it was like EVE Online.

What a horrible idea.

Why? The ideas are already in place for a good sandbox MMO in the vein of Ultima Online or EVE.

Unless you're talking about the part of EVE where you spend a good chunk of your time looking at spreadsheets and gathering resources, that's not what I mean.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:05 am 

No, but if you give people too much freedom and the ability to heavily influence other players' progress in an MMO it will suck because people are assholes. Which fits nicely with all I've heard about EVE. I don't want to have my Stalkering ruined by people exploiting the game mechanics. We already have RL for that.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:08 am 

Yeah, good point. If DayZ is anything to go by, players are more willing to take huge risks when they can just respawn and start scavenging for gear again if they mess up. In EVE, pissing off the wrong people could end up a lot worse than just losing your items if your plan backfires so people are more likely to rely on intrigue and covering their tracks rather than just fly around and kill people.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:04 pm 

Has anyone played "Happy Wars"? haha it's so stupid, but actually really fun, and free!

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:32 pm 

Three new trailers for the upcoming GTA V

I'm just getting more and more pumped for this one.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:34 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

I'd rather Bethesda went bankrupt and stopped making games.

They better stay the hell away from the STALKER series :P

Add Path of Exile to the list of incredible free to play games that destroy AAA titles.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:19 am 

R.I.P. Monster Hunter Tri. :( It was fun while it lasted. Glad we could get a last epic Jho hunt with Kahalachan. Only 3 players with a n00b guy who kept dying (his first time trying Jho). We almost lost cause he died twice, I was out of potions, and so I capped him right on time... the very minute after we captured Deviljho and returned to the city, the servers closed and we were kicked out. Haha.

:(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:13 am 

Adriankat wrote:
STALKER would be sick if it was like EVE Online. Simply throw players into the Zone and they're free to form their own factions, markets, outposts, etc.

Speaking of EVE Online, EVE is getting a TV show based on player stories.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/28/42789 ... er-stories

I didn't play EVE much but I was always fascinated by the stories about the intrigue, deceptions, manipulation, and battles that go in in the game.

That actually sounds amazing. I've always loved hearing about the dickery that goes on in the game.
In theory it sounds like the perfect game for me, but I hate spending money, so it's a no-go for me.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:00 am 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Three new trailers for the upcoming GTA V

I'm just getting more and more pumped for this one.

Wow, the people in a GTA game almost look like people! Now if the cars drive like cars, I'll be happy because I love just racing around in GTA games but the cars have always handled terribly. Except maybe in GTA2... Good to see planes seem to be back in it too. They're always good for some free-roaming laughs.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:07 am 

Monster Hunter Tri. What a load of memories.

What World of Warcraft is to other people, Monster Hunter Tri was to me. I could just live in that world. I've spent a month on that game. Literally more than one month's time due to over 1,000 hours played. I don't think I've logged in that much time on Demon's and Dark Souls combined.

I saw Morrigan grow from a newbie nearly clueless on how the game works, dying a lot and me using my wide range skill to save her, to become a master with a longsword and be a true asset to the team and wouldn't have won a hunt without her. She's learned the sword and shield and lance. Used a hammer a few times. Then more recently she started learning to use the guns in the game and went from a novice to a good supporting gunner.

It was a journey that reflected my own and I could vicariously re-experience the game cooping with her.

By the end of the servers being closed, I maxed out the best armors, guns, and weapons.

And now there's Ultimate Monster Hunter 3 on the Wii U. A more modern game trying to attract a larger crowd. Significantly easier and slimmed down, but still pretty fun. It's still hard by modern game standards as you can't just button mash. Like the Souls games you need to mind your animations. If your weapon deflects you leave yourself open.

There's new weapons to master: Hunting horn, dual blades (what I'm currently learning), bow and arrow (what I want to learn next), and gun lance.

Tons of new monsters.

But it just seems to miss the charm of Monster Hunter Tri. I'm not as captivated. The difference in probably like Demon's Souls to Dragon's Dogma. The latter is a good game no doubt. But the other is just a masterpiece you can't get enough of.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:50 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Skyrim isn't even that metal. Most of the game is bartering and menu trawling.

oddly, that's what a lot of metal heads here do..

Tried to play Dark Souls. Talk about :brick:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 485, 486, 487, 488, 489, 490, 491 ... 940  Next