Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:20 am 

Poisonfume wrote:
Definitely not the second coming most of us were expecting.

Speak for yourself.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:35 am 

Certainly, it is only my opinion so you're right to call me out on that. I just thought that while the narrative and visuals were strong, the gameplay was bland indeed, and the combat was repetitive and boring. I'm just sad that a game series inspired by the complex System Shock 2 has progressed to be so watered down and unremarkable in comparison.

Last edited by Poisonfume on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:50 am 

I always see that comparison - and I'm not pointing out you in particular - but I wonder how many people our age (25 or less) played System Shock 2 before all of the references reviewers made to it in the first Bioshock review...

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:56 am 

Huh? It's clearly a spiritual successor.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:37 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
I always see that comparison - and I'm not pointing out you in particular - but I wonder how many people our age (25 or less) played System Shock 2 before all of the references reviewers made to it in the first Bioshock review...

I did!
I know you weren't pointing me out in particular, but I've had people say I only started liking Ennio Morricone and spaghetti westerns when Tarantino's Django came out. To take it to extremes, I've been accused of only listening to metal because of the year Lordi conquered Eurovision (by my own sister no less). :D

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:57 pm 

Has anyone played the new Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge? I loved the 2nd one, but heard the 3rd was terrible so I never played it. Hope this one's better. Currently playing Darksiders 2, a lot better than I expected since I hated the 1st one.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:00 pm 

I'm weary of the new Thief. Camera pulling out for third person during climbing/ladders and stuff like that is the last fucking thing I wanted to happen to Thief. The limitations of the first person view was something that I thought added an extra layer of intensity to the originals. I mean I guess you could pan out in Deadly Shadows, but oh well. I'm freaking tired of the 3rd person panning out crap in FPS's. And a new voice actor... for Garrett? Then just fucking do a new character. Slow motion, jumping through windows, etc... eh.

Sounds like they have some ideas right, but others I'm not sure about. Composer will probably be different too and yikes.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:02 pm 

Bioshock is one of the most overrated series of all time. It has a great setting and it succeeds at creating an atmosphere but it's just a run-of-the-mill FPS and arguments that its intelligent and thoughtful ("would you kindly") seem to forget the 12 hour shooting gallery that came before it. I admittedly haven't checked out Infinite, but I expect more or less the same: massive hype and ok game.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:18 pm 

Fuck that noise. The combat in Infinite is incredibly fun and I see no issues with the pacing in either game.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:07 am 

Anyone else enjoy Darkstalkers as much as me? I prefer it to Street Fighter. Dark Stalkers Resurrection is a pretty good deal and I'm getting a lot of fun online matches.

Here's my Lilith in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmlx9oNORTQ

I think I'm slightly better with Morrigan even though I prefer using Lilith.

It's not one of those hardcore fighters so anyone can enjoy but it also appeals to the hardcore crowd. And seriously what's cooler than watching classic monsters fight it out? And it's loads of fun too.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:56 am 

I'm playing bioshock 1 right now (because I live 5 years in the past at all times) and its certainly an enjoyable shooter, and certainly more entertaining than most others. I'll agree the setting in the best thing about it, but dammit, awesome unique settings are a totally viable reason for a game to be great. All the magic stuff adds some flair, although electrocution is really the only effective one, while rest are just a little bit of fun, and the gameplay certainly holds up long enough for the overall experience. With that said, the fetch quests that make up every level are a little over done, and I'd be happy having a.shorter game for the sake of scrapping a dull one or two, like the stupid photography one.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:59 am 

I originally got Bioshock for xbox and dont think I liked it, but ended up getting it on pc, along with the second one, since they were only $5. I did that with Crysis 2 too and playing on a pc is so much better.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:37 am 

Currently playing GTA Vice City Stories on my PS3. Got released on PSN (along with Liberty City Stories) earlier this week.

Awesome game. Love playing in a slightly older Vice City.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:28 pm 

Playing Mark of the Ninja - I love stealth games and this is an excellent one - and Red Faction Guerrilla. I love both the concept and the execution of Guerrilla. It's a sandbox game about destroying things, kinda like GTA but everything is breakable and breaking stuff is your mission. That in itself is a pretty fun concept but I imagine it would get old pretty fast if it wasn't for all the missions and challenges. Unfortunately it does get old after some time when all different ways of demolition are tried and the challenges become repetitive. It's still nice to blow up stuff now and then, but it doesn't keep you engaged for more than half an hour or so straigh when you completed half of it.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:44 am 

Beat Bioshock Infinite.

Mind blown. One of the best endings I've ever experienced.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:43 am 

First Bioshock had the trifecta of great story, visuals, and gameplay. Second one lost almost all
of the magic and had a pretty lame story and missions (which I barely remember). I've been hearing nothing but praise for Infinite so I guess I'm going to have to break out of my cynical gamer shell and give it a shot.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:37 am 

Never could finish the first Bioshock, for all it's strengths it has some incredibly gutless gameplay.
I might forgive the combat in an fps rpg for not feeling as meaty and statisfying as a full-blooded fps might, except there's barely any rpg in it.
And are mechanical enemies supposed to be an obstacle when they can just be zapped, hacked and turned into allies effortlessly? The game even pauses for you. Retarded.

fucknicethings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:39 am 

I recently gained a slight interest in gaming again, I usually don't play them at all.

I finished shadow of colossus, and it was alright. It was interesting figuring out on my own how each boss has to be killed. The last boss took me so many tries, because I couldn't figure it out, and eventually needed a walkthrough (reluctantly).

I started zelda: ocarina of time. For all the glory people give this game, it really is that good. It's definitely a game that takes persistence, because figuring out what to do next can be kind of cryptic. I really like that, because it's more challenging than a modern FPS's campaign mode. I'm past the forest temple (as adult link), and I haven't used a walkthrough yet, so think I'm doing okay. I'm a little bit stuck on death mountain, because one, I found a shop that sells the red tunic, and I can't remember how to get back into it. Also, I really need a larger wallet.

I also started sly cooper and the theivious raccoonus. Not that great, I think the enemies are a little too easy, the finding of clues gets way tedious. At least the platforming thing is alright, and the characters are likable. I'm not feeling very addicted to it though.

I was also interested in checking out a game I read about in game informer magazine called Antichamber. It's supposed to be like portal, except instead of the laws of gravity, it's the laws of time and space that make the puzzles.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:33 pm 

fucknicethings wrote:

I also started sly cooper and the theivious raccoonus. Not that great, I think the enemies are a little too easy, the finding of clues gets way tedious. At least the platforming thing is alright, and the characters are likable. I'm not feeling very addicted to it though.

Are you playing the collection for the PS3? If so, you should know that games 2 and 3 don't play at all like the first.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:53 pm 

The first Bioshock is extremely simple, yet so fun, a thing a lot of modern FPS games forget to be. It didn't have to be wildly complex to be a wonderful experience. It's one of those I can beat over and over without it losing its appeal. I haven't played Infinite yet, but based on what I've heard, I'm expecting a similar ride.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:28 pm 

Damn, the ending of Mark Of The Ninja was
really depressing
, even though it turned out almost exactly like I expected.

Awesome game though! :love: Needs a level editor badly!

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:43 am 

Which one of them? The one on the left or on the right?
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:51 am 

Left. Asai didn't actually do anthing wrong. I had doubts about the whole "betraying tradition" and "hiding failure" reasoning from the start, and the scrolls only confirmed this. Furthermore, me killing all those Ninjas because of the hallucinations kinda showed he was right about trying to get rid of the whole tattoo business.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:02 am 

Yeah. Oddly enough, the ending is the only thing I disliked about the game when I played it
(as I didn't see a dilemma in it - the option on the right seemed the only logical one, whereas I felt the motivation to pick the left one - except the motivation to play the entire game again, of course - was only substantiated by a single remark by your lady friend towards the end (the one about "cleansing", if you get my drift), which I deemed weak). It began to make sense only when I thought of it later, despite the fact that the more subtle motivation (killing your clansmen while under the illusion they're enemy soldiers) was pretty obvious from the get go.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:44 pm 

I'm weirdly excited for Black Ops II: Uprising. I didn't purchase Revolution because my heart just wasn't into Black Ops II multi as it was in the beginning, but I'm kinda stoked!

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:57 pm 

I just recently embarked on a short retro-session of two childhood favourites. I'm sure some of you are familiar with them. Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine and Shadowman, 3rd person adventure games on the PC. Shadowman actually surprisingly still holds up even today, though Infernal Machine feels very dated indeed.

When I originally played Shadowman many, many years ago I was too young to appreciate the storyline and the atmosphere the game holds. I just played it to explore the levels and kill enemies. Now, however, I was stricken with how atmospheric the game is, especially the opening hour in Deadside. Haunting ambient music plays while you explore a desolate land filled with the screams of the eternally damned. I prowled the land, seeing the miserable souls of those who had, at one point, lived decent lives and were now damned to this fate, an undead life as a broken shell of a creature. It made me feel bleak and almost helpless, not a feeling I've ever really had in a video game before.

Suffice to say, I had a ball playing the games again (especially Shadowman). Sometimes it's cool to just go back to the roots of your interests, and re-experience them.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:32 pm 

I had Shadowman on the N64, I may still have it somewhere, actually. It was a really interesting, dark story. Gotta say, there's a bit of that game near the end that still creeps me out thinking about it. I will always remember the intro to that game, Moonlight Sonata playing over Jack the Ripper and Legion's conversation, Legion persuading Jack to join him. As you say, really atmospheric.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:49 pm 

Playing a lot of CS:Global Offensive's competitive mode. Currently master guardian 2 rank; I think I'm about master guardian elite/badge level but alas, crappy teammates.

Finding some people to play with though. Anybody here play pretty seriously?
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:56 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
I had Shadowman on the N64, I may still have it somewhere, actually. It was a really interesting, dark story. Gotta say, there's a bit of that game near the end that still creeps me out thinking about it. I will always remember the intro to that game, Moonlight Sonata playing over Jack the Ripper and Legion's conversation, Legion persuading Jack to join him. As you say, really atmospheric.

Shadowman is a great game, one of the first horror games I ever played. Sadly I never actually had it (I borrowed it from a friend a few times) but I do play it with an emulator. Great game but I can't seem to finish it. I always get stuck somewhere and go play something else. I hope to finish it eventually though.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:18 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
Dandelo wrote:

Shadowman is a great game, one of the first horror games I ever played. Sadly I never actually had it (I borrowed it from a friend a few times) but I do play it with an emulator. Great game but I can't seem to finish it. I always get stuck somewhere and go play something else. I hope to finish it eventually though.

I owned Shadowman on the Playstation and remember liking it when I was little, but playing it again a year or so ago reminded me of a really horrid framerate and absolutely unbearable combat. Shame because the atmosphere and exploration is really, really well done.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:22 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Beat Bioshock Infinite.

Mind blown. One of the best endings I've ever experienced.

It also has to have the best female protagonist of all time in games. Not since Midna from Zelda Twilight Princess did I find a female lead so awesome in every way. Booker is a stock "had a shady past" character. Elizabeth is so unique with such charm, her own interests and personality, is strong willed, pretty but not fanservice, and just one of the best female game characters of all time.

On top of that, Bioshock Infinite comes dangerously close to being as good as the original Bioshock.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:40 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I owned Shadowman on the Playstation and remember liking it when I was little, but playing it again a year or so ago reminded me of a really horrid framerate and absolutely unbearable combat. Shame because the atmosphere and exploration is really, really well done.

That would be more due to a shitty port than anything. I remember playing the PS version at one point and I couldn't finish it due to how bad it was compared to the PC, which had much smoother controls and didn't have the frame rate problems. I can't mention the N64 version though, from what I've heard it's about as good as the PC.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:29 am 

Violent videogames save the lifes of three children. :-P

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:49 pm 

Onto my replay of Vice City.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:38 pm 

Playing through Metal Gear Solid 4 for the first time. Really like the gameplay/story...but boss fights so far are lacking in quality compared to past games.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Last edited by stickyshooZ on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:44 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:
Playing Metal Gear Solid 4. Really like the gameplay/story...but boss fights so far are lacking in quality compared to past games.

Game...play...?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:31 pm 

12 minutes of Dark Souls II gameplay footage :hyper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA1s9v2Ab8w

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:33 pm 

Awesome. That's all I have to say.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:05 pm 

Woooooah that's a lot of dragons.
Death metal is eternal.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:15 pm 

That video has calmed any worries I had about DkS2, it looks insane. The part with the ogre bursting through the wall blew my mind, I'm glad they implemented events like that. The graphics are really a step up too, especially since it started off looking a little same-y at the start of the video. Overall I'm even more excited about Dark Souls 2. Started a no-HUD depraved play through in Dark Souls in anticipation for the sequel.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 481, 482, 483, 484, 485, 486, 487 ... 940  Next