Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:24 pm 

The PS3 version is fine.

So what if Blighttown might run smoother? Here's a spoiler, I bet it still SUCKS! You can't fix Blighttown. :lol:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:30 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
The PS3 version is fine.

So what if Blighttown might run smoother? Here's a spoiler, I bet it still SUCKS! You can't fix Blighttown. :lol:

It's "fine", sure, I mean I have it and played it tons. But that doesn't make what Zelkiro said any less silly.

Also, Blighttown is fucking awesome.

Xeogred wrote:
I think instead of getting back to Dragon Age I might just replay Suikoden 1-2.

Good idea. ;)
I love that song. <3 Ewww @ the cover art though

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:30 pm 

Xeogred wrote:

I love how the only thing on the cover that's actually in the game is that there's a castle and a black dragon in it at some point.

Also, the only three dragons that are ever named are named Black, Thrash, and Death. :headbang:
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:41 pm 

I cannot even fathom how that cover came about. Must have been the USA Megaman 1-2 cover artist back for revenge.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:26 am 

Bleh, went through with it and bought Dark Souls and System Shock 2 on Steam. Even if the mods are gonna be a bitch and a half to mess around with, I'm never gonna find the game this cheap ever again. Also, had to grab something else so my order would be over $5 so that Steam would actually let me get it, so I figured I'd try out another game hailed by all to be a classic.

Dunno when the fuck I'll ever have time, though. I still haven't beaten Arkham City, and I bought that 2 years ago.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:14 am 

Dude I told you, you only need one mod, DSfix, and it's brain-dead simple to install, just follow the Readme. I'm a PC gaming noob and managed just fine.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:09 am 

So I've returned to an old favourite - Rome: Total War! With the mod Europa Barbarorum. Playing as Carthage (or Kart-Hadast) and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I was never very good at the game, nor strategy in general, but good heavens above do I enjoy and cherish this game. Sure it has its flaws. I was absolutely raging the other night during a siege when my troops, due to path finding issues, refused to climb the wall to capture the towers and so hundreds of men were slain from their arrows :annoyed:. But in spite of that, it's such a joyous game to play.

The mod in particular deserves acclaim. They took the original, and changed absolutely every aspect and put the entire engine to its furthest limit. Not only does it look and play impressively, I could also spend hours reading the detailed unit/building descriptions added, all of which is apparently pretty historically accurate.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:02 am 

Fucking hell, I can't buy anything on Steam.

I bought that Enclave game but that got covered totally by my Steam wallet funds. Right now I'm trying to buy Dead Space 2 (I have the first and third already and it's on sale for $5) but it won't let me. First it was shitting itself over the disparity between my current location and my billing address, so then I tried buying it in a browser version with the Chrome Hola app (which lets me browse any given site as if I was in whatever country I desire, i.e. the USA) and it seemed to work but when it redirected to PayPal, it just got hung up and never completed the transaction. Now, when I try to buy it, it just throws a generic "can't do this" type error at me and says either wait a while or contact support. So of course, when I click "Steam Support" in my client, it opens a browser window and asks me to login, then constantly tells me that either my login credentials or the captcha are incorrect. I know my goddamn login info and the captchas are super easy and I tried like fifteen of them now, so I dunno what the hell the deal is.

Maybe this is just the universe telling me I have enough games on Steam already?

Edit: D'oh, I'm a moron. Apparently the Steam support system is completely independent from Steam itself and you have to create a whole separate account there.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:52 am 

Yeah, I occasionally get that time-out when trying to buy in Paypal via Steam too. Normally I can fix it by just going back and walking through the ordering process again though...hope you can work it out!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:15 pm 

Holy FUCK, these controls are ass. I really didn't want to have to buy a controller, but it looks like I have no choice now.

And the camera...holy shit, the camera. I've never been motion-sick in my entire life until today. Holy shit.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:26 pm 

:ah-ha:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:31 pm 

:lol: The Steam page does say you should use a controller...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:11 pm 

Even then the controls are ass.

I'm going through my first run of Dark Space and I'm enjoying it immensely. Over the shoulder horror shooter sounded like it would be terrible based on my experiences with RE but it works smoothly in this game. Some cheap jump scares but also enough freaky shit going down that I'm not too upset when I forget to turn off the bathroom light.... I think I'm becoming too dependent on the magical line that directs you exactly where you need to go. The two times it's malfunctioned I've been running around aimlessly like an idiot. Other than that I'm having a blast!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:28 pm 

I'm one of the more critical people here when it comes to the Souls games (admittedly that's probably like 70% hype backlash), but the controls are like, one of the things that are indisputably fine with the game.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:28 pm 

if anyone here plays CSGO I could use some friends.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:25 pm 

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:

I'm going through my first run of Dark Space and I'm enjoying it immensely. Over the shoulder horror shooter sounded like it would be terrible based on my experiences with RE but it works smoothly in this game. Some cheap jump scares but also enough freaky shit going down that I'm not too upset when I forget to turn off the bathroom light.... I think I'm becoming too dependent on the magical line that directs you exactly where you need to go. The two times it's malfunctioned I've been running around aimlessly like an idiot. Other than that I'm having a blast!

I haven't heard much great about the sequels, but that first one is a blast and has great replay value, at least to me. Only game I can say that keeps me on my toes.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:42 pm 

Dark Space... or Dead Space?

I don't even know how I got the first game on Steam (how often does that happen for you guys? haha). But bought 2 with the sale along with tons of other stuff. I already double dipped for the games on the PS3 to replace my 360 copies but yeah, I checked out the PC version of 1 today and it looks a lot better thanks to the resolution and such. I should have known. lol

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:53 pm 

Derp. Dead Space (though I imagine playing Dead Space while listening to Darkspace would be an intense experience) I'm surprised nobody else picked up on that haha. I'm just playing it on my 360 and I don't have any complaints about the resolution. I'm playing on a pretty huge screen, too. I was actually quite impressed with the graphics since the game is from 2008 IIRC. Then again, I'm not very fussy about graphics. They are the least important part of a game, after all. But returning to Dead Space - I'm not really sure where the sequels would go because I can't picture any outcomes other than death or escape. And if you escape why the hell would you go back? We'll see. But probably not until the summer when I can borrow from a friend.

Are you kidding, BastardHead? They're super clunky. It's like you're animating a corpse instead of controlling a living person.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:00 pm 

One of my favorite trilogies last gen for sure and yeah, compared to most games from 2008 it's aged pretty well. I think horror games that have a lot of blacks tend to age a bit better than most.

I'm honestly thinking it's just the PS3 version that doesn't look too hot, I've noticed the sound isn't as good either in weird ways. Back then it was kind of hit or miss between versions I guess. But yeah the whole thing is top notch on the 360, I probably prefer that controller for the series too.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:33 pm 

Xeogred wrote:

Not that I'm one to knock Suikoden, but I'm guessing it was the too-big-for-its-own-damn-good starting area The Hinterlands? Just follow the main story; a huge amount of the sidequests there are at least poor, and some are shit entirely (some are cool though, especially those that make significant changes to the game world and the people in it). There's a reaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllly big event in the main story early on (hint: the starting hub and most of the characters who inhabit it might just be entirely wiped off the face of the earth ;) ), and once it kicks in... goddamn is the story a good one. Surely the most subtle and well-constructed yarn Bioware's ever written (I realize that's not saying much around these parts, but at least the first Mass Effect seems modestly respected here) that poses some very thoughtful ontological arguments about God and the purpose of religion that I haven't seen in a game since Torment. It's just... really goddamn good, and once you get around level 15 or so, the combat gets surprisingly great too. There's not even any pausing needed if you're tactixing your party properly, leveling their gear and building their characters specifically to complement your playstyle/s.

It's simply the best AAA RPG I've played in a very long time. And I hope more than just me can get to experience it.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:50 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Holy FUCK, these controls are ass. I really didn't want to have to buy a controller, but it looks like I have no choice now.

Ehh, you can get used to it well enough. I played through both Dark Souls' with keyboard and mouse and while it was jarring at first, after a couple of hours I adjusted to them enough to handle the rest of the game just fine. It pays to do a little bit of key re-mapping though, especially for the second game.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:14 pm 

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:

They're really not, not with a controller. I can't even fathom how someone can say this.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:57 am 

I'll more than likely jump back into it, darkeningday. :lol:

Most my friends say it picks up when you start getting more characters and such. And crazy God stuff? Okay that sparks my interest. I'm always up for that in fantasy/sci-fi.

After Far Cry 4 and GTA5 back to back though I could really go for some shorter/linear simple games.

Maybe something like... Freedom Planet? Have any of you guys checked it out? People calling it the lost Saturn game and obviously what Sonic can never be again, looks awesome:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:12 am 

Xeogred wrote:
After Far Cry 4 and GTA5 back to back though I could really go for some shorter/linear simple games.

Haha yeah, DA:I is ANYTHING but that. Honestly, the game is too big for its own good. Lemmie know when you come back to it, though!
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:34 am 

Been playing Road Redemption, which is badass as fuck. It's still Early Access, so it's not quite polished, but, man, do I love me some Road Rash-style gameplay. It's so satisfying sticking C4 to a fellow rider and watching them ride off into a group of bikers, blow up, and send everyone flying.

Also bought Batman: Arkham Origins earlier. Play about an hour so far. Really enjoying it. I never played Arkham City (not yet), so I don't know how much carried over from that, but it has some great improvements over Arkham Asylum.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:08 am 

Not to be condescending or anything, Mars, but from what I've seen, Arkham Origins is basically City with a new paint job and a couple extra toys.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:35 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Not to be condescending or anything, Mars, but from what I've seen, Arkham Origins is basically City with a new paint job and a couple extra toys.

I haven't played City so it's all new to me, lol

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:36 pm 

Oh yeah, I can imagine the jump :-P Seriously wish they would've added some more stuff though.....

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:05 pm 

(disclaimer: I didn't actually check any of these claims)
Spoiler: show

:nono:

Seems like I made the right call then. Not that I'm willing to shell out 15 € for any game anymore*, especially not if the dlc isn't included, but DSII is almost an exception. Almost.

*It's less that I'm cheap and more the ~250 unplayed games I already own.

Last edited by inhumanist on Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:08 pm 

Yeah, didn't buy it yet. They did do this with Sleeping Dogs and TR, too. Trend by developers to release the game, then release a complete version later, making people either upgrade to it or buy it fresh.

Steam being down now :grr:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:14 pm 

Yes, it's a bit of a crappy move, but seeing that I have no other means of acquiring the DLCs, and I really, really wanna play 'em, I'll surely end up buying Scholar of the First Sin anyway.

Not before its price drops down and I sell my copy of the vanilla game, though.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:05 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Yeah, didn't buy it yet. They did do this with Sleeping Dogs and TR, too. Trend by developers to release the game, then release a complete version later, making people either upgrade to it or buy it fresh.

Yup. I bought base Skyrim, and now the "Legendary Edition" costs less than the combined DLC. Retarded.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:16 pm 

Magic of the modern gaming industry.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:54 pm 

I remember buying vanilla Borderlands a few years ago and the GOTY version came out maybe 4 months later. Never again. To me any game that has DLC isn't out yet until it's released with all the DLC at a reduced price. And if that version never comes out, then I get vanilla game for cheap. Either way, I win.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:06 pm 

Yeah it's a shitty and all-too-common practice. One of the reasons I haven't bought Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel yet, even though I kinda want to play it right now. The only games I buy day one are the Souls (and Souls-like, e.g. Bloodborne) anymore because I'm just too damn impatient when it comes to those, but otherwise... fuck that shit. :|

Weird how there's also this culture of pre-orders being carefully cultivated by publishers, too. Pre-order now and pay $60-70 to get your horse armour and shit! But if you do, you'll get screwed over compared to those who wait a bit to get your game, remastered in better HD with all of its DLCs for $4 during a Steam sale less than two years from now! Yeah... :nono:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:12 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Yeah, the Avadon series is all about the politics of preserving an unstable treaty between very different nations as it becomes increasingly undermined from within and without. Without getting too deeply into the socio-political geography of the setting, a few hundred years before the start of the first game, a group of nations located in the middle of the continent banded together for mutual protection against the hostile nations that surround them - there are regular threats like expansionist neighbor nations, and fantasy threats like dangerous dragons and ogres. This was basically their only option for survival. Together they found an organization, the titular Avadon, which would be comprised of members from all the different nations and serve to deal with issues that concern all the nations as a group - basically where matters of international security are concerned, Hands of Avadon have theoretically unlimited legal and military power to go in and wreck shit. Of course in practice, member states don't really like Avadon fucking with their business, even if they fear Avadon's power, and non-member states REALLY don't like Avadon fucking with their business, even though they super duper fear Avadon's power. So even though Avadon is necessary (or is it), nobody really likes having Avadon around, except at a distance as a threat against their enemies.

It's just a fascinating power dynamic for a fantasy RPG - essentially you play as a servant of the "dark lord" trying to enforce order and safety by putting down various bands of rebels who want freedom and keep attacking. Except in this case the dark lord isn't evil, he really is just trying to preserve peace and stability in a dangerous world. Or maybe he is evil and goes too far, but maybe it's necessary. Or maybe not sort of. A big part of the game is deciding if you're OK with going as far as you're asked to.

Damn, that sounds really neat! I got Avadon a while back and liked the mechanics but didn't have time to get into it much. This definitely makes me think I need to give it a proper go.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:41 pm 

That sounds incredible.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:48 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Yeah it's a shitty and all-too-common practice. One of the reasons I haven't bought Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel yet, even though I kinda want to play it right now. The only games I buy day one are the Souls (and Souls-like, e.g. Bloodborne) anymore because I'm just too damn impatient when it comes to those, but otherwise... fuck that shit. :|

Weird how there's also this culture of pre-orders being carefully cultivated by publishers, too. Pre-order now and pay $60-70 to get your horse armour and shit! But if you do, you'll get screwed over compared to those who wait a bit to get your game, remastered in better HD with all of its DLCs for $4 during a Steam sale less than two years from now! Yeah... :nono:

Yep, waiting is best with anything non-Nintendo. I've been buying a bunch of 3 disc edition games for 4 dollars a piece, it's actually gotten to the point where I have to consciously stop myself because I'll never get around to playing them all.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:08 am 

Morrigan wrote:

I don't think there are games today I'd buy day one (well, Pokemon, but those never get price drops anyway). In a way, I kinda like that they do that, because I'm patient (I've waited years for games I've been incredibly excited for) and on a tight budget. I'm the guy that waits until the battle is over to loot the corpses.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:01 am 

So my friend got me the first Crysis and its expansions. I've seen impressive screenshots and have heard good things about it (the other games in the series, not so much). I know pretty much nothing else about it though, other than it's a shooter and your character has certain powers/abilities. Planning on playing it soon.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 642, 643, 644, 645, 646, 647, 648 ... 940  Next