Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:59 pm 

Havel's armour is not the best defense-wise, only poise-wise. The highest defense is the Giant armour set when fully upgraded.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:18 pm 

I actually killed him not too long after posting that, and the ring finally lets me wear the elite knight armor with minimal encumbrance. :D On to Blighttown!

Also, do magical weapons require high intelligence to wield? I ran into one that has a faith requirement, but I haven't put any points into it whatsoever yet.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:22 pm 

Some do, yes. Don't worry about them if you are going strictly melee, there are plenty of great weapons for dex and strength builds.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:06 pm 

Finished Borderlands 2 (finally) and what an awesome friggin' game. It's so funny too, on multiple levels. I don't think another game has ever made me laugh so frequently. I'm now level 35 and starting True Vault Hunter mode, should be another month or so of sheer joy.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:24 pm 

I've been playing Dark Souls for a while now. I don't know shit about what items/builds are considered valid, but so far (at the archives now) the claymore's kicked more than enough shit to fulfill my shit-kicking quota.
I've spread my points sort of equally across Vit, end, dex and strength (level 50-ish now i think?) and as far as I can tell it seems to work fine too.

Thinking of putting the rest of my shit into dex, because most of the other weapons I like seems to scale best with it. or maybe buff int/faith so I can be a jack-all and use those goddamn sexy looking Abyss/Artorias greatswords.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:58 pm 

BlindTortureKill wrote:
I've been playing Dark Souls for a while now. I don't know shit about what items/builds are considered valid, but so far (at the archives now) the claymore's kicked more than enough shit to fulfill my shit-kicking quota.
I've spread my points sort of equally across Vit, end, dex and strength (level 50-ish now i think?) and as far as I can tell it seems to work fine too.

The claymore is a great weapon, and your stat investment is sound so far...

Quote:
Thinking of putting the rest of my shit into dex, because most of the other weapons I like seems to scale best with it. or maybe buff int/faith so I can be a jack-all and use those goddamn sexy looking Abyss/Artorias greatswords.

Nooooooooooo don't ruin it! Jack-of-all-trades are doomed to fail in the Souls games, and the Artorias/Abyss swords are utter shit, your claymore will deal more damage with less stat investment. I'd suggest pumping vit 'til you reach 40 or 50, end til you reach 40, before touching anything else. Having 27 str/40 dex is the best combination for weapons that scale with both stats (such as the claymore), because when you 2-hand your sword you get a 1.5 bonus to str so it's like having 40/40. Maximum carnage.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:38 pm 

There's a reason you see so many people run through the game with the claymore on youtube - such a solid weapon.

Of course, I'm at the point now where I can eff up anything with any weapon - and it's more about experiments and character creation now. Or artificial goals...and then the game becomes even more enjoyable. Especially with two friends (D&D style development! never break character!)

Which you'll get to soon :p

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:46 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Finished Borderlands 2 (finally) and what an awesome friggin' game. It's so funny too, on multiple levels. I don't think another game has ever made me laugh so frequently. I'm now level 35 and starting True Vault Hunter mode, should be another month or so of sheer joy.

Haha, yeah, I've been playing a shitload of Borderlands 2 lately. I'm playing as the Gunzerker. For most of the first playthrough I was playing pretty conservatively - skill points were a mix between the Brawn and Gunlust trees. My basic strategy was pretty much the same as I used in the first game - get a decent sniper rifle and pick off who I could at range, then swap to a good assault rifle for most of the dirty work and pulling out the shotgun if things got really overwhelming or if I went down in a big mass of enemies.

However, at the end of this second playthrough I started looking more into builds and have totally changed my playstyle. I ditched all of my brawn skillpoints and went full Gunlust/Rampage. I can literally stay in Gunzerk mode permanently, and I've pumped up my pistol damage via relic, class mod and skill tree to really high levels. I've got it set up so I have a Binary Slag Rubi (quest reward, just alt+f4 every time you turn in the quest until you get the one you want) in my left hand and a Double Penetrating Unkempt Harold in my right hand. The Rubi has faster projectiles so slags everything I'm shooting, but it also returns 12% of the damage you do as health, even grenades, barrel explosions and the gun in your other hand if you're Gunzerking. So then the DPUH wrecks the living fuck out of everything and I can essentially never die because I do so much damage that the 12% health returned just keeps my health up all the time. Really, really powerful build.

After this second playthrough I'll probably take a break from it before starting Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode. Then, eventually, I want to start an Anarchy build Mechromancer as they're apparently obscene and really fun to play.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:15 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Nooooooooooo don't ruin it! Jack-of-all-trades are doomed to fail in the Souls games, and the Artorias/Abyss swords are utter shit, your claymore will deal more damage with less stat investment. I'd suggest pumping vit 'til you reach 40 or 50, end til you reach 40, before touching anything else. Having 27 str/40 dex is the best combination for weapons that scale with both stats (such as the claymore), because when you 2-hand your sword you get a 1.5 bonus to str so it's like having 40/40. Maximum carnage.

Glad I decided to check in then, thanks! I also assumed to stick with the plain +15 upgrade path, as I tried fucking around with making fire/lightning/etc weapons but it always seemed to half my damage output (except on weapons that had really bad scaling regardless).

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:35 pm 

apparently the last PvP character I made in Dark Souls was this guy http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=302728681471179917 it wasn't fair how much I owned... I think I ended up changing some stuff up for fast roll (25% burden) My faith build was awesome too and something like this: http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=155053839877285460 I just made that one up since I forget exactly what I did and I ended up leveling it over 200 eventually. Those builds are good guidelines though. I would never go faith and int or dex and str, pick 1 physical stat and 1 magical stat.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:12 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

I got it for my birthday and I'm saving it for university. Can't wait to start playing it. The first Borderlands was awesome and apparently this is an improvement. Been playing the DLC stuff for Borderlands one, generally not as good as the stuff on the actual game, but still pretty cool. I'd be interested in that sort of take off of an African safari that's one of the Borderland 2 DLCs.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:30 pm 

Here's my quick review of the four Borderlands 2 DLC's:

1) Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty - This was alright. The enemies are largely just reskins or slightly different takes on regular game enemies. They do have some new behaviors, though, and those big anchorman/whaler/depth charge guys are cool. The new vehicle, a sand skiff, is really fun to drive though they didn't really do as much as they could have with it. The missions are also generally pretty lackluster - kind of like the most bland stuff from the main game. There is some decently funny stuff scattered around, though. It's really a shame as the environment is really neat; it's this big dried-up ocean area with loads of rusted out ship hulls, islands perched on top of giant pillars of rock, huge skeletons of long-dead sea monsters. I found it to be really easy compared to the ending parts of the main story on both Playthrough 1 and Playthrough 2.

2) Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage - Pretty boring/straightforward setting. Environments are pretty similar to the first Borderlands game - desert wasteland type stuff. This DLC is also the shortest of the four and can be finished in just a few hours. The main draws for it are the Torgue vending machines with some legendary Torgue items (you get special Torgue tokens as mission rewards, including from repeatable stuff like a Slaughter Dome barfight and a vehicle race, plus they drop from badasses, that are used in these machines) plus the hilarious voiceover from Mr. Torgue, who's like a roid-raging, hilarious take on Macho Man Randy Savage.

3) Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt - Sorta along the same lines as the Pirate DLC, except in a jungle sort of area with Hammerlock giving out the main missions. Hammerlock's an OK character but the main enemy guy was kinda lame as shit. There are lots of new enemy types this time around, including giant strider things that reminded me of the Half-Life 2 striders, big floating elemental spore thingies, and savages with shields, spears, etc. However, one of these enemy types, the witch doctors, are ludicrously obnoxious to fight as they have shitloads of health, heal/level up allies and have a bunch of really annoying elemental powers. One time I tried to fight one of the Vampire ones while I was in a car and even with him just standing there, he could out-heal a constant barrage of fire. Oh, there's a new vehicle here, too, a fan boat, but the weaponry on them is kind of lame.

4) Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep - This one was amazing and easily the best Borderlands DLC I've played. Really long, with great music and artwork. You're basically playing in a game of Dungeons and Dragons DM'd by Tina Tina with the supporting cast from the main game as the players who talk with one another as voiceover while you're doing stuff. It starts out really comical but as the story goes on it gets darker, sporting the best writing yet in the series. The enemies are all new and really cool - skeleton swordsmen/archers, giant skeletons, skellies you have to kill then pull a sword out of or they'll resurrect, giant golems, all manner of orcs, treants, evil dwarves, knights, mages, dragons. This coulda been a standalone game and it would have been great.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:45 pm 

I agree for the most part, though I thought the Pirate DLC was pretty good, second best after Tiny Tina's. IMO the DLC campaigns go as follows: Tiny Tina > Pirate Scarlett > Torgue > Hammerlock. Hammerlock's DLC was just flat-out dull to me, it was lacking in humour and funny writing which is what makes the quests more fun, I'd say, and yes the main villain was completely lame (I get that they were trying to go with that as a joke but it fell flat IMO). I was a bit disappointed at the lack of a big-ass loot cave in Tiny Tina's DLC though, it was just begging for a big dragon hoard type cave with tons of loot. :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:53 pm 

Yeah, that's the same ranking I'd give the DLC's. As for the lack of a loot-cave in Tiny Tina's, I think they at least made up for that by introducing some cool other loot. I got one of those legendary Chain Lightning grenade mods from a badass sorcerer and used it through most of TVHM because it was just so damn good. I might even farm for a level 50 one once I get to that DLC (about to start Hammerlock's in TVHM).

I will admit that I walked around that final boss area at the end of Tiny Tina's looking for the door to the loot cave for a long time before giving up, haha.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:53 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Hammerlock's DLC was just flat-out dull to me, it was lacking in humour and funny writing which is what makes the quests more fun, I'd say, and yes the main villain was completely lame (I get that they were trying to go with that as a joke but it fell flat IMO).

Ah, weak. I was totally exited for this one, thought that a sort of African hunting sort of thing in a Borderlands game would be totally awesome.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:58 pm 

Haha yeah, I guess I didn't make it clear in my reviews above that the Hammerlock DLC just kind of sucked. Totally didn't fulfill the promise of being a cool jungle safari type of thing.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:03 pm 

Yeah, it was wasted potential honestly, a lot of missed opportunities for funny quests. Kahalachan and I were talking about it the other day and we had many funny ideas they could have integrated, such as Planet Earth spoof (imagine a quest given by some David Attenborough soundalike but then of course something wacky or weird happens), or better yet a crocodile hunter spoof. "I'm gonna shove my thumb in that badass skag's butthole!"

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:05 pm 

It's really lame that they fucked that up, because it's the sort of thing that has such high potential to be awesome. Ah well, I still have the whole of Borderlands 2 to have fun with and I'll probably end up buying the DLC package for that as well.

Morrigan wrote:
or better yet a crocodile hunter spoof. "I'm gonna shove my thumb in that badass skag's butthole!"

:lol:

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:58 pm 

You know I've decided that every new online tactical shooter/sim shooter should be about six times the size of Battlefield 3 and have either M.O.A.B.'s or tactical nukes. Or both. And make sure the environments are as destructible as Bad Company 2 or more, none of this "if your 50-pound C4 charge doesn't blow up on this exact single pixel then nothing happens to the building" bullshit.

Basically, I just want the ability to fucking nuke everyone every time a level 100 guy stays in the chopper the whole time and won't fucking die.

This better be what shooters are like in 10 or 20 years. NUKE THEM FROM ORBIT

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:14 pm 

Yeah, I very rarely get game DLC of any kind, but I might make an exception for Tiny Tina. It just looks too damn awesome. I'm so down to get legendary weapons. When I first opened that mega-chest in Sanctuary, I was level 28 and got a bunch of kick ass loot and it gave me a rush. Getting great loot becomes so addicting.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:27 am 

I'm so playing the Assassin's Creeds out of order. 2 > 3 > 1 > now on Brotherhood > Revelations is next. It's nice chipping away at my game backlog.

In order of what I like

2 > 1 > 3 so far. The other ones I don't know where they fit in.

The coolest assassins in order Achilles (if he counts since he's not playable) > Ezio = Altair > Connor. Haven't played Aveline as I'm not going to drop $300 on a Vita and another $40 for the game itself. But she seems cool.

Their differing motivations are interesting. Achilles fought to establish community. Altair for redemption and truth. Ezio for family and love. Connor for freedom and justice.

Personalities too. Achilles is down to earth and rational. Altair arrogant turned humble. Ezio friendly and flirty. Connor idealistic and hopeful.

Too bad the series is going downhill as is most obvious with 4 coming up as the most blatant milking of the franchise. Not even 6 months till 4 was announced. Each one took place in a pivotal time period in chronological order. All the time periods were quite distant from each other too. Crusades, Renaissance, Colonial Period, and..........backwards 50 years to pirates? WTF?

IV would make sense in the Industrial Revolution or maybe WWI and then end the series with V with modern day Desmond.

M'eh Oh well. Assassin's Creed games are cooler on paper than actually playing them.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:15 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
Assassin's Creed games are cooler on paper than actually playing them.

Essentially what it all comes down to. Flawed games made even worse when they started pumping out games every two seconds. I haven't played those since the second game.

Anyway I just got XCOM Enemy Unknown. YES. Everything I hoped it would be.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:06 pm 

playing Brutal Doom.

I think I'm gonna stay for awhile.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:12 am 

For Dark Souls players, this is amusing:
The Four Knights of Gwyn sure know how to party :D

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:09 am 

:lol:

I love that little dance.

You watch any of the Prepare to Cry series? I think that embodies both what I love and hate about the hyper-minimalist story telling (mainly the fact that his interpretations are largely just interpretations without compelling proof to some major claims). While this is kind of really awesome, it would also be kind of nice to have some concrete universe :p

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:52 pm 

I finished The Last of Us a few days ago, and I think it's a masterpiece. However, upon starting a new game on a higher difficulty, I discovered that it's not really a game that lends itself to being played more than once. It's too much of a cinematic experience for that. Oh well. It was great the first time through.

After reading about it in this thread, I took the plunge and bought Dark Souls. I just started playing it this morning. It's definitely difficult, but a lot of that comes from trying to learn the mechanics of the game... I think. I'm not regretting buying it yet. My weekend starts soon, so I'll be able to invest some time into this game then. Then I'll be able to decide what I think of it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:07 pm 

:)

I wonder if I should demand royalties from From Software....

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:15 pm 

I would buy it, but I have to, like, get money first. And a PS3.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:28 pm 

It's on the 360 and PC too...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:37 pm 

BUT...you're really gonna want a controller for the PC version :X

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:18 pm 

I don't have any of those things. I will need some of them.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:47 pm 

Saw this and lol'ed: Image
I checked the original article from 2001, and it was real. Hahaha.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:50 pm 

:scratch:
Was that supposed to be a joke? I'd seriously be surprised if an editor wouldn't pick that type of thing up.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:25 pm 

I doubt IGN is subtle enough to make a joke like that. :P

So the Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter has been relaunched. This time with a more modest (though still kinda high) budget and some changes to the game's structure (no longer episodic but a full game). They also hired Solid Snake's voice actor for the main character, apparently.

I backed it for $20. Let's hope this crowdfunder does better than the first version, which was an abysmal failure. Whatever Dyack's past mistakes might be, Eternal Darkness deserves a sequel.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:57 pm 

So I just spent all day running around Blighttown looking for a different way out after reaching that locked gate at the top...Didn't realize until watching a walkthrough that I had to go into the spider web to find the boss! I just thought that webbing was a weird lump that was part of the background... :grumble: At least I leveled up a couple times from the sheer number of zombies I killed.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:37 pm 

Haha. Generally in Dark Souls, if you can see it in the distance, you can reach it.

My favourite example is in this pic (I suggest not clicking until you've reached Anor Londo, you should get the "whoa!" feel for yourself):

See that building with the tower up above? I used to think it was just part of the background. Then one day I realized it's the actual Duke's Archives. :eek:
So awesome.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:10 pm 

Defeated the Asylum Demon. Things became much easier when I realized I had health potions, haha. Now I'm getting my ass kicked by skeletons. It's quite frustrating. Is there any way to sprint in this game? Also, the lack of ability to pause is irritating as hell, and a very cheap way to add 'difficulty' (it doesn't, it just pisses the player off).

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:02 pm 

You hold O (PS3 controller, probably B on 360) to sprint. The tutorial told you that. And if you need to stop playing, you can always quit and you'll reload exactly where you left off (exception is inside a boss fight so go in there prepared).

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:14 pm 

Yeah, I got the hang of it now. I work odd hours, so I tend to forget things tutorials teach me. Forging ahead....

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:56 am 

Morrigan wrote:
I doubt IGN is subtle enough to make a joke like that. :P

So the Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter has been relaunched. This time with a more modest (though still kinda high) budget and some changes to the game's structure (no longer episodic but a full game). They also hired Solid Snake's voice actor for the main character, apparently.

I backed it for $20. Let's hope this crowdfunder does better than the first version, which was an abysmal failure. Whatever Dyack's past mistakes might be, Eternal Darkness deserves a sequel.

It would probably have a non-zero percent chance if it were being made for XBox and Playstation systems, but a Wii U console exclusive? Unless these guys are contracted to work for Nintendo (the PC version makes me doubt this), this shows a shocking lack of awareness on their part.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 501, 502, 503, 504, 505, 506, 507 ... 940  Next