Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:58 pm 

Yeah but there are some pretty brainless, plug-n-play games out there too :lol:

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:00 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Yeah but there are some pretty brainless, plug-n-play games out there too :lol:

Ah well, in 2010-2011, despite my sabbatical, I played Football Manager 2011. But I don't really count that. After a certain point, all I had to do was pick a formation, tactic, replace injured players and just watch them play and hope for the best. Just like that time I played a game of FIFA or PES at someone's house for like 8 mins didn't count either. Or the couple of weeks I played farmville on facebook when I joined it in early 2010.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:03 pm 

There's several games I could play without even being half-way conscious of what I'm doing. Stuff like Minecraft comes to mind. But I get it, games are by nature more participatory than other mediums of art/entertainment. I don't always want to play something, but when I'm not in the mood for it I never really consider it as something I'm taking a break from but rather just the circumstances of the situation.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:07 pm 

rexxz wrote:
There's several games I could play without even being half-way conscious of what I'm doing. Stuff like Minecraft comes to mind. But I get it, games are by nature more participatory than other mediums of art/entertainment. I don't always want to play something, but when I'm not in the mood for it I never really consider it as something I'm taking a break from but rather just the circumstances of the situation.

Minecraft hurts my eyes. I get sick just from watching videos of it online. I once watched Conan O'Brien playing Minecraft and God that hurt my eyes.

Half-way conscious eh? Not gonna mention clickers, Sim City and the like, since those are pretty obvious, but I believe I can play Super Mario World in auto-pilot. I don't think there's anything about that game that I don't know yet.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:08 pm 

I don't play Minecraft either but is an example of the type of game that I think would be well suited for playing while not paying much attention.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:10 pm 

rexxz wrote:
I don't play Minecraft either but is an example of the type of game that I think would be well suited for playing while not paying much attention.

Not knowing much about it, it does look like that sort of game, yes.

A good game for that would also be The Sims. I remember playing some Sims 2 back in the day... yet I screwed up some friendships and messed up a few sims' sleep schedules lol

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:11 pm 

Yeah, one of my favorite settings for playing Minecraft is while smoking a bowl with ambient techno playing in the background. That's in the survival/adventure mode though, never been much for just building shit.

If you're not keen on Minecraft's ootb graphics, grab a 256x256 texture pack and get to town!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:13 pm 

SmokingGnu you should check out these screenshots I took on ESO:

http://imgur.com/gallery/9Lx0Q

If you're interested in getting your game to look like that I can help you out, it's really easy. Shit makes it seem like a movie.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:14 pm 

I can say I have had a semi-sabbatical of gaming. I didn't game that much between 2005 or so and 2009. I'd take forever to beat games like Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil 4. I bought games in that period of time that I ended up never playing or barely touched, just lost interest all the time. I played a bit of coop games on the 360 with Gears of War, Resident Evil 5 and Guitar Hero/Rock Band, but very little else held my interest. At that time I wouldn't really have called myself much of a gamer, since I played a lot more in the 16 and 32-bit era.

I eventually bought a PS3 with the MGS4 bundle, played MGS4 a bit, gave up on it 'cause it was so boring, almost regretted buying the PS3.

Buuuut thankfully I received a certain From Software action-RPG for Christmas of 2009... and now I play more than ever before. :)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:16 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
I can say I have had a semi-sabbatical of gaming. I didn't game that much between 2005 or so and 2009. I'd take forever to beat games like Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil 4. I bought games in that period of time that I ended up never playing or barely touched, just lost interest all the time. I played a bit of coop games on the 360 with Gears of War, Resident Evil 5 and Guitar Hero/Rock Band, but very little else held my interest. At that time I wouldn't really have called myself much of a gamer, since I played a lot more in the 16 and 32-bit era.

I eventually bought a PS3 with the MGS4 bundle, played MGS4 a bit, gave up on it 'cause it was so boring, almost regretted buying the PS3.

Buuuut thankfully I received a certain From Software action-RPG for Christmas of 2009... and now I play more than ever before. :)

I bought a few PS" Platinum titles in 2008-2009 that I never actually ended up playing lol.

What you're describing also fits pretty much everyone with a Steam account to a certain degree lol.

I kinda regret never buying a 360. I entertained the idea of pulling the trigger in 2009-2010, but this was in the midst of my "I don't really care about games anymore". Oh well, live and learn.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:52 pm 

The only reason I don't game as much as I used to is because I just simply don't have the time anymore. I work ten hours a day, five days a week, an hour away from my apartment. So work takes a huge amount of time already, and that's not including the time I need to spend doing regular around-the-house stuff like shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc. The few hours I get are mainly spent with my girlfriend, who doesn't play games really, and personally I just feel weird leaving her to dick around on her phone for hours while I play games (we do occasionally play Tekken together though so there's that I guess), so if we're going to have a lazy day we're gonna end up watching TV or movies or something since we can at least both get enjoyment out of that.

It also probably doesn't help that I don't have the money to upgrade my PC or console so I'm a generation behind and generally prefer PS1-PS2 era games anyway, so I'm hopelessly out of date and never do any sort of online multiplayer. Plus my favorite types of games usually take forever to complete (took me like two or three months to beat Persona 4, while back in high school it could have been a week or two), so yeah it just doesn't happen as often. I don't enjoy videogames any less than I used to or anything, I just don't have the time or resources to play very frequently anymore.

Plus, ya know, I love JRPGs the most and those are all either extinct, shitty, or only available on systems I don't have.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:01 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
The only reason I don't game as much as I used to is because I just simply don't have the time anymore. I work ten hours a day, five days a week, an hour away from my apartment. So work takes a huge amount of time already, and that's not including the time I need to spend doing regular around-the-house stuff like shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc. The few hours I get are mainly spent with my girlfriend, who doesn't play games really, and personally I just feel weird leaving her to dick around on her phone for hours while I play games (we do occasionally play Tekken together though so there's that I guess), so if we're going to have a lazy day we're gonna end up watching TV or movies or something since we can at least both get enjoyment out of that.

It also probably doesn't help that I don't have the money to upgrade my PC or console so I'm a generation behind and generally prefer PS1-PS2 era games anyway, so I'm hopelessly out of date and never do any sort of online multiplayer. Plus my favorite types of games usually take forever to complete (took me like two or three months to beat Persona 4, while back in high school it could have been a week or two), so yeah it just doesn't happen as often. I don't enjoy videogames any less than I used to or anything, I just don't have the time or resources to play very frequently anymore.

Plus, ya know, I love JRPGs the most and those are all either extinct, shitty, or only available on systems I don't have.

I can relate to the being behind the times thing. There's many games from the PS2 era I did not play. Same for the PS1, Xbox(well, pretty much all of them lol), PS3 and 360 libraries. I've been mostly a Nintendo and Sega player and by the time I got a PS2(late 2005. PS2 Slim for Christmas with PES 5!), I had already missed out on tons of games. Not to mention also classic games from the 16 bit era I missed. SO my backlog is quite big haha. Thank God for emulators and PC gaming.

As for JRPGs, I picked up Golden Sun last Christmas, but got bored a bit early in it. I might go back to it someday.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:52 am 

Speaking of JRPGs, I'm about 29 hours into Trails of Cold Steel and boy, is it the weeabooest game I've ever played for so long. :lol: There are some interesting moments in the story at least, and the field trips are fun, but the school stuff is... kind of a slog. :ugh: I didn't know it was gonna be a school setting before putting that on my Christmas list, but, well, I don't regret getting the game too much, since at least the combat is fun (similar to Trails in the Sky of course, with some decent QoL improvements), but I overall prefer Trails in the Sky. I hear Cold Steel II is really really good though, has less stupid teenager/school drama, and gets pretty epic, so hopefully that'll be worth it. And, well, I'm curious to see the how the story unfolds within the Erebonia area (as opposed to Liberl in Trails in the Sky), especially since it's our dear Olivier's home turf. :nods:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:48 pm 

Haven't played videogames in about 2 years casually/5 years seriously. Don't have free time. Doesn't help that in the past when I was like "fuck it, quick game", then said random game wasn't installed and needs other installs additionally that would take hours, by the time it's ready it's like "wtf no". Another reason why the NES classic appeals to me.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:12 pm 

Yeah, I haven't played too many games that require significant time investments in probably a decade. Not that I don't like playing games still, but I play at random and infrequent intervals so when it comes to RPG or strategy I start again like "what the hell was I supposed to be doing right now?"

That said, I probably put around 30 hours into Bionic Commando last month. But I finally beat the damn thing!

volutetheswarth wrote:
Another reason why the NES classic appeals to me.

I still play my NES from time to time and have a fairly good collection of cartridges, but I think I'll still pick this up. The price to get Bubble Bobble, Zelda and Castlevania alone covers the console.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:16 pm 

^ Makes all those game hoarders upset they can't rob us of more money, haha. Their worst feverish nightmare is market value dropping.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:05 am 

You're kidding, right? This may not be true in other countries, but the NES classic is an incredibly hot commodity here and very difficult to obtain at retail. Stores are getting maybe 2 in every other week, and people wait outside for hours before the store opens to buy them. They're also being resold on ebay for double/triple original price. So we've only traded one form of price gouging for another.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:40 am 

Lol @ people not emulating the fuck out of these old games.
If you want a more authentic experience you can even build a "NES Classic mini" for yourself using a raspberry pi and lookalike controllers. Cheaper and makes for one hell of christmas present (with longer cables too). Oh and don't forget you can select the games you want on it yourself, including the famicom version of Metroid, which features saving instead of passwords. Awesome!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:38 pm 

I'll emulate all day long but if we're talking about retro console stuff then the NES Classic shouldn't even be mentioned. The Retro Freak is infinitely superior in every way.

http://www.cybergadget.co.jp/retrofreak/en.html

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:46 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
You're kidding, right? This may not be true in other countries, but the NES classic is an incredibly hot commodity here and very difficult to obtain at retail. Stores are getting maybe 2 in every other week, and people wait outside for hours before the store opens to buy them. They're also being resold on ebay for double/triple original price. So we've only traded one form of price gouging for another.

No, Nintendo is restocking them. The first sale was just a tiny drop and Nintendo seeing fault will make sure to supply a hefty amount of minis in 2017. So all those hoarders who put original NES classic games for obscene amounts will essentially have a cheap piece of junk. Then onwards to SNES minis and N64 minis :thumbsup:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:40 pm 

Yeah, except that's not how collecting works. The original carts will always be the original carts and nothing will ever change that. People who are only interested in playing the games will emulate them, as they have always done.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:07 am 

FSM is right, as evidenced by my recent anecdote of seeing the price of Suikoden II discs still hovering around $100 bucks despite it being on PSN for ten bucks for a long time now.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:00 am 

Stick of Truth is incredible, I like everything about. It's super funny and fun to play too. Played 10 hours in 2 days! Paladin Butters is the best!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:13 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Stick of Truth is incredible, I like everything about. It's super funny and fun to play too. Played 10 hours in 2 days! Paladin Butters is the best!

Which class did you pick, and why was it the Jew? Because of how awesome Circum-scythe is?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:31 am 

The mage since I always like to play wizards. I'll probably replay the game with all the classes once I'm done with it! I'm at the Canada part right now and it's fucking hilarious.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:11 am 

Mass Effect: Andromeda gameplay trailer.

Hey guys, are you into more Mass Effect?

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:18 am 

So Blind Guardian just released a video for the new video game they released called "The Dwarves" on their fb page.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:46 pm 

Well, The Last of Us 2 confirmed to be a thing (reveal trailer just showed at PlayStation Experience). Shocking!

Here's the list of announcements for those (like me) who didn't watch :P copy/pasted from NeoGAF with my comments :P

Quote:
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy announced (standalone DLC, featuring Nadine and... Chloe?! cool, glad they remembered Chloe exists, and Nadine could use more character development)

Wipeout Omega Collection announced

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite announced

Street Fighter V Akuma trailer

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy trailer, coming in 2017 (Crash Bandicoot trilogy remaster. Meh... I have all 3 on PSN, bought during sales, so I don't really need it, but I can keep an eye on it if it features something new and cool I guess)

Resident Evil 7 story trailer + massive demo update tonight

Nex Machina announced

Knack 2 announced (YESSSSSSS............. not?)

Gran Turismo Sport trailer

NieR: Automata trailer, coming March 7, 2017

Ys Origin coming to PS4 and Vita in February 2017 (Nice!! Glad to see PS4 owners get to experience this amazing game.)

Danganronpa V3 trailer, coming in 2017

Garou: Mark of the Wolves releasing today on PS4+PSV

The Last Guardian trailer

Gravity Rush 2 free Raven DLC trailer

Windjammers coming to PS4 (wuuuut)

Ace Combat 7 Trailer

Ni no Kuni II trailer, announced for 2017 (combat looks better than the previous one? more real-time action instead of that shitty boring menu/action hybrid of the first one. hope this one doesn't suck!)

The Last of Us: Part II Announced

Other announcements not listed in that NeoGAF post:

- Let it Die, a new Suda51 (Killer7, No More Heroes) game, F2P (?!), out now (?!! at least in EU PSN store)

- PaRappa the Rapper, Patapon and LocoRoco HD remasters (uh... k)

- New trailers for Nioh and Horizon: Zero Dawn (won't watch, have seen enough of the games already)

I might be forgetting something. Again, I didn't even watch the thing, just reporting on it, haha.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:05 pm 

More Ys in my Vita?

Bitchin'.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:31 pm 

Man, Vita cultists are the same everywhere :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:56 pm 

Out of the list you posted Morrigan, I have to say that personally, Nioh and Horizon : Zero Dawn are both on my next must have list of games to buy for my PS4. More specifically Nioh. I've watched waaay too much of it to not want it. Looks really tasty.

My collection

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:11 am 

I haven't really been playing that many games lately (save for some Rising Storm with friends), but today I figured I'd give Path of Exile another try, after having not played it for a couple years now. I can say it was a good decision. While I've always been a fan of ARPGs (most prominently Diablo), I can say that PoE is a welcome change. I played for around 11 hours today (which is the longest I've played one game for in a day for a few years now), so maybe I'll keep up with it. The way the skills work (gems instead of learning by leveling up) is interesting, especially linking gems together to create new effects, is very refreshing. It took some getting used to, especially after having spent hundreds and hundreds of hours in D3. In short, PoE is pretty fun. Would recommend.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:22 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Out of the list you posted Morrigan, I have to say that personally, Nioh and Horizon : Zero Dawn are both on my next must have list of games to buy for my PS4. More specifically Nioh. I've watched waaay too much of it to not want it. Looks really tasty.

Hahaha, I'm 100% with you. I cannot fucking wait for Nioh, I want it so badly. The beta was so good (amazing considering how mediocre the alpha was, they literally fixed all the problems). I had more fun with this beta than in most games I've played.

Horizon looks spiffy too. I really hope it's going to be good. Please be good...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:59 am 

Morrigan wrote:
PaRappa the Rapper, Patapon and LocoRoco HD remasters (uh... k)

OMG PaRappa the Rapper, can't wait to see those 2D graphics in glorious remastered 2D graphics.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:00 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
OMG PaRappa the Rapper, can't wait to see those 2D graphics in glorious remastered 2D graphics.

While I don't give a shit about that game, uh, you do know you can HD-enhance 2D graphics right...?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:53 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
volutetheswarth wrote:

While I don't give a shit about that game, uh, you do know you can HD-enhance 2D graphics right...?
Yes but my point was the visuals hardly require a HD remaster. They're crudely drawn and animated paper characters.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:02 am 

I started playing Minish Cap today. I never got to play Minish Cap, Spirit Tracks, or Phantom Hourglass.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:29 am 

Morrigan wrote:
CrushedRevelation wrote:

Hahaha, I'm 100% with you. I cannot fucking wait for Nioh, I want it so badly. The beta was so good (amazing considering how mediocre the alpha was, they literally fixed all the problems). I had more fun with this beta than in most games I've played.

Yeah. Seriously. Nioh looks so fucking good at this stage that February can't come quick enough, so I can finally get to play the shit out of it. Been following the development (not religiously mind) of Nioh, and the changes they have made from the alpha to the beta were rather interesting. I will have to see though, as I never got to play the beta at all :(

My collection

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:59 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Yes but my point was the visuals hardly require a HD remaster. They're crudely drawn and animated paper characters.

Now don't get cocky, the textures are blocky, nevertheless you get a lesson from teacher now:
Especially for this game an HD remaster makes sense because the 2D "sprites" don't translate well to modern display resolutions. It is not a pure 2D game as well, more like a 3D game with very flat models and Textures slapped onto their front and back. Textures in old 3D games don't scale well, so an HD version is completely justified. On tube screens the original still looks pretty smooth by the way! On any kind of flat screen? Not so much.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:06 am 

Trails of Cold Steel never ends uuuuuugh. 50 hours in or so and just started chapter... 5. ;_;

volutetheswarth wrote:

You can still improve resolution, sharpen the textures, clean up the image quality etc.

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Yeah. Seriously. Nioh looks so fucking good at this stage that February can't come quick enough, so I can finally get to play the shit out of it. Been following the development (not religiously mind) of Nioh, and the changes they have made from the alpha to the beta were rather interesting. I will have to see though, as I never got to play the beta at all :(

Ah man, it's crazy how much the beta improved over the alpha. My opinion of the game went to "cautiously optimistic/intrigued" (trailers) to "bitterly disappointed" (alpha) to "holy shit I want this game NOW" (beta), haha.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 781, 782, 783, 784, 785, 786, 787 ... 940  Next