Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:05 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Isn't Lost Planet basically Starship Troopers ON ICE?!
At least Starship Trooper was so bad it was good. Lost Planet was so bad it was fucking horrible.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:09 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Any DOOM fan wanna go half in on this with me? We can...share it.

Spoiler: show

Of course, we'll share. You buy it, and I keep it :-D

Jokes aside, I saw that on FB the other day, and yeah, it's pretty amazing. Love how the guy even took the time to make the HUD, too.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:12 am 

As hideous as it is, that's a pretty cool idea. I especially like the addition of the HUD. Ah, how I miss those old school HUDS.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:00 am 

But... that's not the Doom HUD?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:15 am 

Well he takes some artistic liberties, but the concept and layout are the same.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:21 am 

Okay, cute video of Anita Sarkeesian on the Colbert Report. But the coolest part? Where Colbert claims to have spent hundreds of hours playing Dark Souls (and a couple shitty games that I'm pretending he didn't say). :D

(this will likely be removed soon so watch it while you can)

Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:17 am 

Anita once made the claim that one of the Hitman games is misogynistic because there's a level where you can kill and throw around strippers. Saying that "players are incentivised to kill and abuse women in this game". Never mind the fact that you are actually penalised by the game when you do that. She might be on the right side of the greater argument, but she has made some questionable arguments herself.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:19 am 

To be fair, I don't thimnk you'll find anyone who will say Anita has been spot on in every field of argument. At most, I've seen people who disagree with a lot of what she says, but also admits he brings up some valid poihnts as well, and I think that, even as a feminist, is where I lean as well.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:16 am 

HellBlazer wrote:

But it has the press-the-button-or-die stuff too... During some cutscenes you need to quickly press the jump button as I recall, and there's certainly a moment where some enemy comes charging at you (still in a cutscene) and you need to mash a button or you die.

Anyway, good that there is apparently little of this stuff in the main game.

That was probably the demo or something. The original Bayonetta had a few of those but this one not really. The only QTE mashing you have to do is if you get nailed with some kind of status effect or grab to break free and that's common in a lot of games.

Here's some gameplay starring yours truly. I skipped the cinematics so it's only gameplay so no real spoilers. It's a boss fight though so if anyone likes those to be a complete surprise then definitely don't watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aljAds54NaE

It's just some gameplay with a tip to gain some easy halos on this boss fight.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:38 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Anita once made the claim that one of the Hitman games is misogynistic because there's a level where you can kill and throw around strippers. Saying that "players are incentivised to kill and abuse women in this game". Never mind the fact that you are actually penalised by the game when you do that. She might be on the right side of the greater argument, but she has made some questionable arguments herself.

Errrrrrrrrrrrr wellllllllllllll even including that as a gameplay option is a little odd, wouldn't you say?
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:42 pm 

You can also garrotte the male security guards and throw them around. Is that an odd gameplay option?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:18 pm 

Her Hitman example wasn't the best, though she does attempt to put it in context. That said, her examples are generally spot-on, with a few that I find are weak (another I disagreed with is putting Angel as a Damsel in Distress in her first video, since I think with the context of the story, Angel shows plenty of agency and manipulates the events around her despite being captive). The few weaker examples do not invalidate her larger points, though.

Can't wait to watch the Colbert segment tonight. :) I heard from Sterling that Dark Souls got namedropped. *fangirl squeal* :P

Speaking of sexism and Bayonetta, uh... you know how the Bayonetta Defense Force (tm) always defends the sexualization as "empowering"?
Well, so much for that:
NSFW, secret boss spoilers:
http://a.pomf.se/swyula.webm
So let's see:
- she's suddenly lying down, naked
- she's trying to cover herself with her hands
- her shoulders are shaking (crying?)
- boss is lying down, smoking satisfactorily
Ummmmmmm

What. The. FUCK

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:12 pm 

That..... That's..... That's just..... Wrong. So very, very wrong.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:13 pm 

I was googling for the video since sure enough it had been removed. The third search result was a Youtube video titled "Confirmed: Anita Sarkeesian Appearing on The Colbert Report" which started with a screengrab of Anita behind Colbert's desk and, what I assume was the uploader, just screaming his lungs out. o_O

Didn't watch the rest of the video.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:23 pm 

Sorry Inhumanist, but I had to look that up:

Doubt the one screaming his ass off is the uploader though, as all of the hollering is on a loop. Still, pretty..... Illustrative.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:15 pm 

Hooray! The "official" upload of Anita on Colbert. Comes in two parts. If you don't have adblock, there will probably be commercials since, Comedy Central.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/10/s ... arkeesian/
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:37 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
So let's see:
Ummmmmmm

What. The. FUCK

That is, wow. I've got my personal feelings toward sexualization of video game characters but not th-... what the fuck is that?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:41 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Sorry Inhumanist, but I had to look that up:

Doubt the one screaming his ass off is the uploader though, as all of the hollering is on a loop. Still, pretty..... Illustrative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:04 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Her Hitman example wasn't the best, though she does attempt to put it in context. That said, her examples are generally spot-on, with a few that I find are weak (another I disagreed with is putting Angel as a Damsel in Distress in her first video, since I think with the context of the story, Angel shows plenty of agency and manipulates the events around her despite being captive). The few weaker examples do not invalidate her larger points, though.

Can't wait to watch the Colbert segment tonight. :) I heard from Sterling that Dark Souls got namedropped. *fangirl squeal* :P

Speaking of sexism and Bayonetta, uh... you know how the Bayonetta Defense Force (tm) always defends the sexualization as "empowering"?
Well, so much for that:
So let's see:
Ummmmmmm

What. The. FUCK

I like Bayonetta but I can't defend this. It actually feels like they ruined Bayonetta. Like how Game of Thrones ruined Cersei and Jaime's relationship, but since this is the original game it's established as official canon, unlike the TV show taking stupid artistic license.

Fanboys can't deny it's rape.

Bayonetta's hair correlates to the amount of power she displays. Her hair comes off when she does her more powerful attacks. Like instead of using it for clothing, she focuses all the magic power from her hair to do power attacks. That's the only time it comes off really. She willingly goes naked as a display of power. So for her hair to be gone and her not doing anything powerful just makes it look like all her power was stripped at that moment.

Yeah the secret boss is supposedly a real badass,
Rodin's true form
but you can make a boss badass without having to imply rape. They've done it other times throughought the game. Negate her Witch Time ability. Have someone kill her summoned demons. Etc. They ran out of ideas and had to resort to this? Or they were just trying to be too edgy?

Also disturbing is
He's your fucking ally! He makes weapons for you and sells stuff for you and helps you throughout the entire game.
:ugh: So that means this isn't a malicious boss trying to kill you, he's testing your full limits. I unlocked this fight for the first game and that's exactly what it is.

This probably isn't getting brought up in the mainstream cause well, it takes forever to earn the 9,999,999 halos to do this fight. And even if you got enough halos, it's better spent on all the accessories and weapons to experiment with so you can win the fight, so it's most likely going to be 20,000,000 halos before you ever do this fight.

I don't know what to say. They ruined her character cause she's supposed to be an untouchable badass. It's like showing Kratos getting beaten up for lunch money.

Edit:

darkeningday wrote:
Okay, cute video of Anita Sarkeesian on the Colbert Report. But the coolest part? Where Colbert claims to have spent hundreds of hours playing Dark Souls (and a couple shitty games that I'm pretending he didn't say). :D

(this will likely be removed soon so watch it while you can)

OK 2 things struck out at me about this.

Why couldn't she name 3 games? She just vaguely says a lot of games. She just had to say 3 hard hitting examples. It just looks like what someone who doesn't do the research says. "Name 3 instances where vaccines led to autism." "Lots of times" Credibility gone.

She started an interesting discussion and other people have come up with good examples of sexism, but I don't see much from her.

Also Colbert plays Dark Souls. That's awesome :)

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:24 am 

Kahalachan wrote:
Why couldn't she name 3 games? She just vaguely says a lot of games. She just had to say 3 hard hitting examples. It just looks like what someone who doesn't do the research says. "Name 3 instances where vaccines led to autism." "Lots of times" Credibility gone.

She started an interesting discussion and other people have come up with good examples of sexism, but I don't see much from her.

Also Colbert plays Dark Souls. That's awesome :)

I think the point she was making is that the goal is not to point a finger at specific games, but rather to take a look at the state of the industry as a whole. After all, the issue is not with individual examples of sexist tropes, but with the fact that they are so prevalent in a lot of games and that that's the accepted norm.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:02 am 

Not to mention, if you want her to name examples, just watch her fucking videos where she lists dozens upon dozens... :confused: You really think she "couldn't come up with 3 games" and was stumped? Come on now. Besides, if she had said "GTA, God of War and Postal", someone would have whined about how she's singling out these games or something. You know how it is, she can never win.

Kahalachan wrote:

Eh? She gave tons of examples across all her videos. Who are these "other people" anyway?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:24 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Eh? She gave tons of examples across all her videos. Who are these "other people" anyway?

Well you'd be one I guess. I have friends who point it out more when I'm guessing it might've been ignored or brushed aside if our consciousness wasn't raised to be aware of it.

This is her on Colbert though. On national TV. I know she gave examples in her videos but someone who just watches Colbert and really doesn't know her wouldn't.

If you had Richard Dawkins on Colbert and asked him to name 3 inconsistencies in the Bible or give 3 examples of evolution being fact, I hardly doubt he'd assume the audience read his books or just vaguely say it's all over the place. He'd probably give 3 examples and imply that's barely even the tip of the iceberg.

That's why not naming 3 examples stuck out at me, when I imagine every single other person being passionate about their viewpoint willingly rattling off tons of them.

Edit: My point about it sticking out wasn't that it was a bad thing. It just raised questions.

Why didn't she answer? Nervous? Unwilling? Not wanting to single specific games out cause of backlash? Hellblazer said a good answer. But it just made me wonder why she wouldn't name 3 examples.

Just like Colbert's mention of Dark Souls stuck out at me. Did I ever invade him? Is he on NG++ and good at it? Is that his favorite game?

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:40 am 

I'm not really a Let's Play-interested person, but some of Yahtzee's vids are quite nice. Here he is doing SotN and there's some pretty interesting banter with him and Gabe whoever. Yahtzee seems kind of misanthropic/bitter, guess I shouldn't be surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Me3F0yzm4E

Not sure I can forgive them for bashing Space Quest 3 as much as they did in that playthrough, but then again I was a wee child when I played it.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:07 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Any DOOM fan wanna go half in on this with me? We can...share it.

I'd rather give him money to mass produce these for a more affordable price.

Kahalachan, your posts about the naming of many games is very trivial and basically a non issue. Everyone is well aware of sexism in video games, they don't need to be named and shamed in every discussion of which they're related.

Last edited by volutetheswarth on Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:11 am 

I recently started Shadow of Mordor, and so far it's quite impressive. It just seems like they took the greatest stuff from a million different games and fictional worlds, and put it into one game. (There's Arkham Asylum style combat with Mortal Kombat style finishers set in Middle Earth.) The only thing I don't like about it (so far) is that it takes so much influence from that ridiculously easy extraordinarily long quick time event people like to call Assassin's Creed. I also wish it was generally a bit harder, but I suppose not everything can be Dark Souls...

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:56 am 

CardsOfWar wrote:
ridiculously easy extraordinarily long quick time event people like to call Assassin's Creed.

Dunno man, I think particularly the second game has some really cool indoor platforming. Otherwise it's flawed and mediocre and overrated, sure. But I don't like this trend to decry these ultra-succesful AAA games as pure junk food in order to make a point about the decline of modern gaming or whatever.

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:13 am 

inhumanist wrote:
But I don't like this trend to decry these ultra-succesful AAA games as pure junk food in order to make a point about the decline of modern gaming or whatever.

I just really hate Assassin's Creed. It's nothing to do with the fact that it's successful, it's just to do with the fact that I find it monotonous and ridiculously easy. Also, the climbing makes my skin crawl, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:46 am 

well, that Hatred game officially started the media rounds....heard people complaining about it on a major talk station out here. We'll see how this shit goes after the whole misogyny and violence thing...time is a flat circle!

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:49 am 

CardsOfWar wrote:
inhumanist wrote:
But I don't like this trend to decry these ultra-succesful AAA games as pure junk food in order to make a point about the decline of modern gaming or whatever.

I just really hate Assassin's Creed. It's nothing to do with the fact that it's successful, it's just to do with the fact that I find it monotonous and ridiculously easy. Also, the climbing makes my skin crawl, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

Oh well then sorry for assuming otherwise.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:55 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:

Kahalachan, your posts about the naming of many games is very trivial and basically a non issue. Everyone is well aware of sexism in video games, they don't need to be named and shamed in every discussion of which they're related.

Everyone is well aware vaccines are harmful.
Everyone is well aware god is real.
"Everyone is well aware........" proves nothing.

What's wrong with naming and shaming? Won't that awaken public opinion to want to not purchase from a company if they continue with sexist images?

Or do you just want to complain about an issue but never see it resolved?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:51 am 

Had she name dropped three games on a TV show as popular as the Colbert Report she would have instantly made their publishers, studios and fans her enemies. She's probably just very careful at this point. Better to give the people who already hate her one additional "argument" against her than cause more people to hate her.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:51 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
...time is a flat circle!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:36 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
He'd probably give 3 examples and imply that's barely even the tip of the iceberg.

She did exactly that, except 1 example instead of 3.

Quote:
Why didn't she answer? Nervous? Unwilling? Not wanting to single specific games out cause of backlash? Hellblazer said a good answer. But it just made me wonder why she wouldn't name 3 examples.

Er.... how about you just listen to what she actually said? HellBlazer basically paraphrased what Anita said herself. So it's a "good answer" when paraphrased by someone else, but her own words are not good enough because reasons? You're being disingenuous.

No one who is remotely intellectually honest would actually think she didn't name the three games because she couldn't. It's preposterous.

Kahalachan wrote:
What's wrong with naming and shaming? Won't that awaken public opinion to want to not purchase from a company if they continue with sexist images?

Fucking wow. People are already accusing her of wanting to censor games (when she is doing no such thing), and she's very careful to remain a critic and not a censorship advocate. If she did as you suggested, the accusations of censorship attempts would be through the roof.

Quote:
Or do you just want to complain about an issue but never see it resolved?

Her goal isn't to stop people from buying games, it's to improve the status quo in gaming. And it's already working, since she's influenced Neil Druckmann and he made The Last of Us's writing better because of her, and other prominent game creators (such as Tim Schafer, the Bioshock 2 writers, and others) have cited her work as influential. Even non-gaming writers, such as Joss Whedon, supports her. So yeah. She's winning and good for her.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:18 pm 

So, Dynasty Warriors 8 (I don't have the systems for 2-7; I don't have a PS2 or 360 yet and may not for a good while).
Vita ($40) or Steam ($50)?

I have Hyrule Warriors and love it, and I have DW1 on PSP already.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:08 pm 

This recommendation may be a bit random, but I noticed Spec Ops: The Line is pennies on steam now. It's the worst game you absolutely need to play.

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:25 pm 

MorbidEngel wrote:
I have Hyrule Warriors and love it, and I have DW1 on PSP already.

Just for clarity, Dynasty Warriors on the PSP is not Dynasty Warriors 1, they just did that confusing thing where they give a game the same name. The original, first Dynasty Warriors was a fighting game (like 1 on 1) on the PS1.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:03 pm 

Yeah, found that out later. It's kind of misleading if you don't remember what the PS1 game was like, which is nothing like any other games in the series.

Also I picked the Vita version up before work.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:24 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Er.... how about you just listen to what she actually said? HellBlazer basically paraphrased what Anita said herself. So it's a "good answer" when paraphrased by someone else, but her own words are not good enough because reasons? You're being disingenuous.

No one who is remotely intellectually honest would actually think she didn't name the three games because she couldn't. It's preposterous.

I can't. Viacom took down the vid it seems.

On national TV you can imagine there's pressure and people might choke up. How is that hard to conceive?

And often times rephrasing or paraphrasing helps people to understand a point being made. Again, how is this hard to understand?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:25 pm 

I had a ton of shitvomit written here, but decided to delete it because, well, I don't care that much and I was getting heated over something I care so little about, (I mean that as in what Anita does, not the actual idea of sexism in videogames). Instead, I'll just drop two videos here:

Part one; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6gLmcS3-NI

Part two; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpFk5F-S_hI

I'm not interested in arguing a point with this so this'll be all I say, but the videos above are super interesting if you always thought she was a little, barebones, in her arguments.

Last edited by ~Guest 98976 on Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:45 pm 

*eagerly awaits Morri's response with glee* :evil:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 624, 625, 626, 627, 628, 629, 630 ... 940  Next