Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:46 pm
Posts: 3575
Location: At the Heat of Winter
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:34 pm 
 

Speaking of DOOM, I just finished plutonia experiment. Jesus god was that hard.
_________________
Passive-aggressive complainee wrote:
Communicating exclusively in gifs makes you the most annoying mod ever

http://www.myspace.com/thevala
http://www.last.fm/user/Diamhea

Top
 Profile  
Poisonfume
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:26 pm
Posts: 1123
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:42 pm 
 

Diamhea wrote:
Speaking of DOOM, I just finished plutonia experiment. Jesus god was that hard.


Move on to TNT! :guns:

Seriously though, Plutonia is really goddamn hard.
_________________
LegendMaker on pointless genre dissection wrote:
Will you in turn help me classify the shemale/ladyboy, tranny/ladyboy, ladyboy-shemale/tranny, and tranny-ladyboy/shemale sub-folders of my shemale/ladyboy/tranny collection?

Top
 Profile  
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:46 pm
Posts: 3575
Location: At the Heat of Winter
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:56 pm 
 

Poisonfume wrote:
Diamhea wrote:
Speaking of DOOM, I just finished plutonia experiment. Jesus god was that hard.


Move on to TNT! :guns:

Seriously though, Plutonia is really goddamn hard.


I did Evilution first. It wasn't so bad. Plutonia kind of got irritating to me about halfway through because they kept using the cheap gimmick of "place powerup/key/sphere at end of hallway, walk into hallway, door closes behind you, walls open up and chaingunners turn you into a leaky piece of meat". And there are serious way too many revenants in the first half of plutonia. Otherwise, the level design is genius, and gets better as it goes on. It took me almost a month because I kept getting so frustrated, but it was worth it.
_________________
Passive-aggressive complainee wrote:
Communicating exclusively in gifs makes you the most annoying mod ever

http://www.myspace.com/thevala
http://www.last.fm/user/Diamhea

Top
 Profile  
Poisonfume
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:26 pm
Posts: 1123
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:33 pm 
 

The scenario you just described is one of the main things that makes Doom so frustratingly difficult at times. How is one meant to be prepared for 30 barons of hell, a cyberdemon, a spider mastermind and 50 chaingunners suddenly popping out of the wall? If that wasn't bad enough, let's fill the entire room with explosive barrels! So maybe I'm exaggerated the numbers a little, but that's what it feels like at times. The odds are completely against you if you're playing on harder difficulties and haven't memorized these moments. Doom truly has some of the toughest enemies in gaming. Wouldn't have it any other way though...that's what quicksave is for.

Still, invisible bridges in Plutionia? Not cool.
_________________
LegendMaker on pointless genre dissection wrote:
Will you in turn help me classify the shemale/ladyboy, tranny/ladyboy, ladyboy-shemale/tranny, and tranny-ladyboy/shemale sub-folders of my shemale/ladyboy/tranny collection?

Top
 Profile  
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:46 pm
Posts: 3575
Location: At the Heat of Winter
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:01 pm 
 

Oh yeah the invisible bridge. I only remember one of them, it was in the first 5 levels. I remember because I was completely stumped for two hours.
_________________
Passive-aggressive complainee wrote:
Communicating exclusively in gifs makes you the most annoying mod ever

http://www.myspace.com/thevala
http://www.last.fm/user/Diamhea

Top
 Profile  
Alsandair
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:00 pm
Posts: 541
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:04 pm 
 

Poisonfume wrote:
Diamhea wrote:
Speaking of DOOM, I just finished plutonia experiment. Jesus god was that hard.


Move on to TNT! :guns:

Seriously though, Plutonia is really goddamn hard.


Nice! I am currently working my way through the games. My sense of direction sucks making the first couple pretty taxing on me. I take way longer than the par time. Makes me feel stupid. Great game with great vibe/music though.

Top
 Profile  
Poisonfume
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:26 pm
Posts: 1123
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:23 pm 
 

Diamhea wrote:
Oh yeah the invisible bridge. I only remember one of them, it was in the first 5 levels. I remember because I was completely stumped for two hours.


You're right, it was only one. Second level. Still, the brothers behind the level design were sadistic..

Alsandair wrote:
My sense of direction sucks making the first couple pretty taxing on me. I take way longer than the par time. Makes me feel stupid.


Isn't it oddly refreshing (a paradox given how old this game is) that a game this simplistic on the surface can challenge you that way? A game that actually demands effort and has high expectations of its players instead of holding their hands along the way and treating them like they're morons?
_________________
LegendMaker on pointless genre dissection wrote:
Will you in turn help me classify the shemale/ladyboy, tranny/ladyboy, ladyboy-shemale/tranny, and tranny-ladyboy/shemale sub-folders of my shemale/ladyboy/tranny collection?

Top
 Profile  
Alsandair
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:00 pm
Posts: 541
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:55 pm 
 

Poisonfume wrote:
Isn't it oddly refreshing (a paradox given how old this game is) that a game this simplistic on the surface can challenge you that way? A game that actually demands effort and has high expectations of its players instead of holding their hands along the way and treating them like they're morons?


Yes, of course. It's one of the main reasons I enjoy playing old games.

Top
 Profile  
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:28 pm
Posts: 6350
Location: Valhalla
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:19 am 
 

Be sure to hit up Alien Vendetta. Now that is masterful level design. Gets easier as it goes (did for me at least), but the levels were incredible. Memento Mori 1-2 I liked a lot too, along with Hell Revealed 1-2 (just bump that difficulty down a lot unless you're prepared). The Community Chest Packs were nice too.

But yeah I definitely remember liking TNT more than Plutionia, as you guys are saying Plutionia was over the top with the chaingunners... and they can easily be the cheapest and most annoying enemy in the game.

Top
 Profile  
Foda500
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:44 am
Posts: 33
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:29 am 
 

Poisonfume wrote:
The scenario you just described is one of the main things that makes Doom so frustratingly difficult at times. How is one meant to be prepared for 30 barons of hell, a cyberdemon, a spider mastermind and 50 chaingunners suddenly popping out of the wall? If that wasn't bad enough, let's fill the entire room with explosive barrels! So maybe I'm exaggerated the numbers a little, but that's what it feels like at times. The odds are completely against you if you're playing on harder difficulties and haven't memorized these moments. Doom truly has some of the toughest enemies in gaming. Wouldn't have it any other way though...that's what quicksave is for.

Still, invisible bridges in Plutionia? Not cool.


Circle strafe harder :p

Poisonfume wrote:
Isn't it oddly refreshing (a paradox given how old this game is) that a game this simplistic on the surface can challenge you that way? A game that actually demands effort and has high expectations of its players instead of holding their hands along the way and treating them like they're morons?


Very well said, I'd also like to mention that the resource management aspect of DOOM is something I miss dearly in shooters. It's both funny and sad that DOOM has more in common with something like Ultima Underworld than modern fps games.

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9624
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:49 am 
 

Beat Dark Arisen's Bitterblack Isle segment. Last boss was weird. At first I seemed to be barely scratching him, even when climbing on its head and spamming dagger attacks, and my magic bow did nothing. So to increase my damage I used two buffs (demon's periapt and conqueror's periapt), which helped somewhat. Then at some point he started taking damage like crazy but there was no visible cue as to why that was the case. Normally you clearly see a monster being down in pain, or reeling or something which means it's weakened, but this time... nothing special. Took forever to take out his first two health bars, then the last two disappeared in seconds. :lol: Go figure.

Now to kill that fucker, Death. I'll have you yet, pawn-destroying lantern-brandishing bastard. :fuck:
_________________
Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
you can debate the actual date that metal began, but a fairly agreed upon date is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old
Extreme_violence wrote:
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Top
 Profile  
inhumanist
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 4339
Location: 50 Forts Along The Rhine
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:29 am 
 

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... e-Feedback

After discarding XP, the new Thief is ridded of quicktime events. Might there actually be a chance that it is not going to be completely terrible?
_________________
Metantoine wrote:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?
CorpseFister wrote:
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

Top
 Profile  
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 4417
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:47 am 
 

Finished Silent Hill 1 last night. Got the bad ending :grumble: Though in light of how thoroughly fucked up the rest of the game is, it didn't seem particularly out of place. Awesome game, I'd definitely like to do another playthrough next Halloween season and get one of the better endings. I have to say this atmosphere in this game is one of the most overwhelming I've ever experienced. It's truly oppressive and suffocating, and in some of the more perilous parts of the otherworld it just basically turned into a quasi-blind, panicked flight through hell. I kind of marvel that a game so engulfing was made so successfully on the PS1.
_________________
Visual Art: The Illuminated Night
Drone: IA
Shop: House of the Black Wolf

Top
 Profile  
Ohrwurm
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:47 am
Posts: 416
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:44 am 
 

Today is the release of Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition. It can now be played in widescreen HD and features some new characters and stories. I'm definitely buying it. It can be bought from Steam or Beamdog for 23 EU.

I would buy it just to support the devs, since it has been rumoured that they're working on BG3. People will need to show them that we want this though and I think they'd appreciate the extra cashflow.
_________________
“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.” -Friedrich Nietzsche

last.fm

Top
 Profile  
lurkist
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 7:11 pm
Posts: 198
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:06 am 
 

Any Clashers here? Man, I can't get enough of this game. Been playing about 3-4 weeks, here's my base-

Spoiler: show
Image
_________________
"It is like a finger pointing away to the moon. DON`T concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

Top
 Profile  
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:22 pm
Posts: 2556
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:13 am 
 

Back into Minecraft yet again. My friend and I started a survival server with just the two of us and are going to attempt to beat the game for the first time with just us and a few friends (quite a hard feat, for those who know the specifics behind it.) Survival Multiplayer really is the best way to play this game; I always get so bored on servers where people just dick around with building stuff endlessly.
_________________
henkkjelle on the Dutch wrote:
Actually we have a extra set of appendages protruding out of our lower ribs especially designed for rummaging through our poop. Newborns that do not possess these appendages are thrown of a mountain.

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9624
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:02 pm 
 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Finished Silent Hill 1 last night. Got the bad ending :grumble: Though in light of how thoroughly fucked up the rest of the game is, it didn't seem particularly out of place. Awesome game, I'd definitely like to do another playthrough next Halloween season and get one of the better endings. I have to say this atmosphere in this game is one of the most overwhelming I've ever experienced. It's truly oppressive and suffocating, and in some of the more perilous parts of the otherworld it just basically turned into a quasi-blind, panicked flight through hell. I kind of marvel that a game so engulfing was made so successfully on the PS1.

Nice. Is that the ending where
Spoiler: show
Harry's already dead in the car, Jacob Ladder's style?
I think the first time I got this ending too. I remember my brother and I playing this (without guides of course) back in the day, exploring and experimenting with different things to try to get different endings. Felt pretty rewarding. And yes, the atmosphere is out of this world (no pun intended). I remember running away like a little bitch in that last part of the sewers, after you grab a key and those things come out... *shudders* And I remember almost-screaming in panic when I fumbled in the dark and was seemingly stuck against some obstacles and hearing the monsters behind me coming closer. Ah, the memories. :lol: I know everyone say SH2 is the best one and they're probably right objectively speaking (and SH2 does have Pyramid Head), but I will always have the fondest memories of SH1.
_________________
Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
you can debate the actual date that metal began, but a fairly agreed upon date is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old
Extreme_violence wrote:
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Top
 Profile  
inhumanist
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 4339
Location: 50 Forts Along The Rhine
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:19 pm 
 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Back into Minecraft yet again. My friend and I started a survival server with just the two of us and are going to attempt to beat the game for the first time with just us and a few friends

Wait, since when is it possible to "beat" Minecraft? (Haven't touched the game in quite a while.)
_________________
Metantoine wrote:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?
CorpseFister wrote:
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

Top
 Profile  
Adriankat
Veteran

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:54 pm
Posts: 2651
Location: San Jose, California
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:25 pm 
 

You go to another dimension and fight a dragon.

Yeah, Notch lost his sense of direction sometime before the official release. I remember playing the alpha and thinking how amazing the game would be by the time beta rolls around. Heh.
_________________
Let's be friends on Steam|Last.FM|Instagram!

Top
 Profile  
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:22 pm
Posts: 2556
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:30 pm 
 

inhumanist wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Back into Minecraft yet again. My friend and I started a survival server with just the two of us and are going to attempt to beat the game for the first time with just us and a few friends

Wait, since when is it possible to "beat" Minecraft? (Haven't touched the game in quite a while.)


So. They added a mob called "endermen," which are tall black alien-like things who can teleport, pick up and move blocks (as a passive action, they don't deliberately do it to get to you) and hit REALLY hard (while making a creepy fucking noise, no less) - but only if you look at them directly in the face. Quite a challenging mob, and it's very tense to be working through a cave with one standing right next to you while frantically remembering not to swipe your cursor over their face.

You have to kill them to get ender pearls, which you then combine with blaze powder to get Eyes of Ender. Blaze Powder is found on Blaze mobs in Nether Fortresses, which are large castles that randomly spawn in the Nether.
You use the Eyes to locate a Stronghold, which is an underground fortress spawned within a certain distance of spawn in the overworld. These have portals that need 12 Eyes to take you to The End.

The End is this weird dark dimension full of Ender Men and an Ender Dragon, which is a huge flying boss that takes quite a bit of effort to kill. Once you've done that you've "beaten" the game.

I think it's a pretty sharp way of implementing things, since it gives a "point" to Minecraft for those who aren't as interested in the "building huge crazy things" method of gameplay. Don't get me wrong, I love building cabins, farms and underground bunkers at whatnot, but I think the challenge of forging your own place and surviving in a randomly generated wilderness is more enjoyable than creative mode (particularly now that there's a hard mode that makes combat really difficult.) By the same token, people who appreciate the creative side of things can ignore it completely. It's also nice that The Nether actually has a purpose now rather than being effectively a large-scale Easter Egg.

The whole survival mode/main quest process was also made more dynamic by introducing armor and weapon enchantments, potions and poisons, and NPC villages to trade with, plus a vastly improved biome generation and underground mines and dungeons. Really the perfect balance of the game's trademark open-endedness with a focused goal.

It's even more fun to do all of the above on survival multiplayer servers, where you have to take a kill-or-be-killed approach against other players. Completely changes the dynamic of the game because you have to create out-of-the-way, well-hidden underground bunkers so no one breaks in and burns down all your stuff. The potential for diabolical schemes is glorious...Found someone's ill-hidden base? Lay a few blocks of TNT with a pressure plate outside their door so they get a nasty surprise. Anti-griefing is for wimps.
_________________
henkkjelle on the Dutch wrote:
Actually we have a extra set of appendages protruding out of our lower ribs especially designed for rummaging through our poop. Newborns that do not possess these appendages are thrown of a mountain.

Top
 Profile  
inhumanist
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 4339
Location: 50 Forts Along The Rhine
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:56 pm 
 

That does sound like a lot of fun once you get the hang of it! Unfortunately I'm far to impatient to get good at a game like Minecraft. Also I don't enjoy repetitive, time consuming farming very much, and as far as I remember Minecraft is mostly just that.
_________________
Metantoine wrote:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?
CorpseFister wrote:
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

Top
 Profile  
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:28 pm
Posts: 6350
Location: Valhalla
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:41 pm 
 

I'm near the end of Silent Hill 3 myself. Definitely a lot to love about this one, but yeah I think I'd easily put SH1-2 above it. It's funny how this one has the most detailed visuals and all, but something about it feels weirdly casual to me. It's freaky, but yeah. I think SH2 has a very insane emphasis on loneliness (fitting) and maybe it's just that that makes that one feel the most uneasy for me by far, probably one of my personal greatest fears as well.

Top
 Profile  
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:46 pm
Posts: 3575
Location: At the Heat of Winter
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:13 pm 
 

Figured I'd take a stab at an "all-items, all materia" FF7 file. Don't care about getting 99 of anything, just to have at least one of everything that can be obtained, and key items. Mastering all the enemy skill materia is already driving me up the wall, and some of the fort condor battles have such a short window of opportunity there is no way anybody could have done them all on their own. It's like "the 5th battle is available once you get to x area but before you go up the stairs to advance the story", and you have to backtrack halfway across the world map. It hasn't aged as well as FFT in my eyes, though. Still a good game, I remember being blown away when I rented it back in 1997.
_________________
Passive-aggressive complainee wrote:
Communicating exclusively in gifs makes you the most annoying mod ever

http://www.myspace.com/thevala
http://www.last.fm/user/Diamhea

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9624
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:59 pm 
 

That sounds painful and tedious, and using a guide makes it completely unrewarding, but whatever's fun for you... :confused: And I thought platinum hunters were weird. Go figure.
_________________
Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
you can debate the actual date that metal began, but a fairly agreed upon date is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old
Extreme_violence wrote:
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Top
 Profile  
VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:18 pm
Posts: 260
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:01 pm 
 

Morrigan wrote:
Beat Dark Arisen's Bitterblack Isle segment. Last boss was weird. At first I seemed to be barely scratching him, even when climbing on its head and spamming dagger attacks, and my magic bow did nothing. So to increase my damage I used two buffs (demon's periapt and conqueror's periapt), which helped somewhat. Then at some point he started taking damage like crazy but there was no visible cue as to why that was the case. Normally you clearly see a monster being down in pain, or reeling or something which means it's weakened, but this time... nothing special. Took forever to take out his first two health bars, then the last two disappeared in seconds. :lol: Go figure.

Now to kill that fucker, Death. I'll have you yet, pawn-destroying lantern-brandishing bastard. :fuck:


I'm most of the way through the Bitterblack Isle content myself, but have been going back and forth between that, completing the story mode for a second time (mostly for the sake of easy Dragonforging in the Grigori fight), and fighting the Ur-Dragon over and over again.

Have you been going through it with pawns? Some time ago, I released my two Rift pawns and let my main pawn die and have been adventuring solo. I find the game isn't much more difficult, but it is a lot more peaceful and enjoyable. And the experience is so much nicer.

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9624
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:13 pm 
 

Yeah I use a full party cause the BBI boss monsters are pretty nasty. Depending on which class I'm using and which enemy I'm fighting, I could solo the battles, but not all of them, sometimes the pawn are crucial (and at other times I'm doing most of the damage while they're being useless, lol). Having a mage pawn to heal you and remove some debuffs automatically is nice too.

Cursed dragons are nice for dragonforging, it's not automatic but seems to be a pretty high rate. Wyverns, on the other hand, are shit. I killed both a thunderwyvern and a icewyvern on BBI and got 0 dragonforging whatsoever. :grumble:

How do you farm Grigori? Speedrun the game everytime? :scratch:
_________________
Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
you can debate the actual date that metal began, but a fairly agreed upon date is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old
Extreme_violence wrote:
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Top
 Profile  
Marag
Veteran

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:55 pm
Posts: 2660
Location: down there where chaos prevails
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:20 pm 
 

I want to play SH2, but I've heard the PC port is absolute shit. Is it true? Don't want to waste my time playing some buggy abomination of a port.

Top
 Profile  
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:46 pm
Posts: 3575
Location: At the Heat of Winter
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:55 pm 
 

Morrigan wrote:
That sounds painful and tedious, and using a guide makes it completely unrewarding, but whatever's fun for you... :confused: And I thought platinum hunters were weird. Go figure.


Well I beat the game without help years ago. I gotta give myself some incentive to get through the whole thing again.

Also, this guy are sick.
_________________
Passive-aggressive complainee wrote:
Communicating exclusively in gifs makes you the most annoying mod ever

http://www.myspace.com/thevala
http://www.last.fm/user/Diamhea

Top
 Profile  
Poisonfume
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:26 pm
Posts: 1123
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:56 pm 
 

Marag wrote:
I want to play SH2, but I've heard the PC port is absolute shit. Is it true? Don't want to waste my time playing some buggy abomination of a port.


I hear it isn't great, but the community is here to help: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... ostcount=2
_________________
LegendMaker on pointless genre dissection wrote:
Will you in turn help me classify the shemale/ladyboy, tranny/ladyboy, ladyboy-shemale/tranny, and tranny-ladyboy/shemale sub-folders of my shemale/ladyboy/tranny collection?

Top
 Profile  
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:28 pm
Posts: 6350
Location: Valhalla
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:50 am 
 

From what I understand the PC versions of 2-3 look the best (and better than the nasty HD release). You can save anywhere too I think, in 3 at least. But the controls sound like a huge pain and yeah.

PS2?

Top
 Profile  
VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:18 pm
Posts: 260
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:36 am 
 

Morrigan wrote:
Yeah I use a full party cause the BBI boss monsters are pretty nasty. Depending on which class I'm using and which enemy I'm fighting, I could solo the battles, but not all of them, sometimes the pawn are crucial (and at other times I'm doing most of the damage while they're being useless, lol). Having a mage pawn to heal you and remove some debuffs automatically is nice too.

Cursed dragons are nice for dragonforging, it's not automatic but seems to be a pretty high rate. Wyverns, on the other hand, are shit. I killed both a thunderwyvern and a icewyvern on BBI and got 0 dragonforging whatsoever. :grumble:

How do you farm Grigori? Speedrun the game everytime? :scratch:


Pretty much, yeah. It's surprisingly quick to do, outside of that dreadful escort mission on your first trip to Gran Soren. I had the original Dragon's Dogma, so I received an Eternal Ferrystone, and my portcrystal locations are either right near the major events or close enough to them that you can pretty much zip through the game in a few hours. Add that to being high level with powerful equipment, and you can decimate a lot of the boss monsters in no time. It's obviously not ideal every time you get a new pair of pants to start the cycle and hurry on to face Grigori, so I waited until most of my equipment had been replaced with non-Dragonforged stuff.

Yeah, Cursed Dragons and the Ur-Dragon are both pretty solid for dragonforging. I once got *really* lucky in the Everfall and a frost drake (or whatever it was down there) dragonforged my Dragon's Dogma.

Agreed on the healing pawn though. I would keep one around to enchant my weapon with holy for my fights against the Ur-Dragon, which was helpful, but no longer needed. But I ended up pulling in an entire party for that fight with the bishop. That dude was a pain in the ass.

Top
 Profile  
PvtNinjer
Veteran

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:45 am
Posts: 2621
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:02 am 
 

Anyone pick up the early access game Wrack on steam? Quasi-doom style old school FPS. I'd say the stages aren't nearly as labyrinthine as Doom (unfortunately), but the gun play is pretty fun.

Top
 Profile  
inhumanist
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 4339
Location: 50 Forts Along The Rhine
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:48 am 
 

I've been playing Arkham City, on hard mode of course, and it hasn't really been "hard" so far, just challenging enough to make the fights not boring (they can get pretty engaging and even rewarding in fact when you face a lot of different enemy types and know the combos) but now I've reached the one where you
Spoiler: show
fight the freshly cured joker
and his henchmen and it's fucking ridiculous how much of a brickwall that one is. It's just, when the titan bastard shows up I can either try to get at him and consequently get fucked up by the countless henchmen (if I try to decimate them before he shows up the game just throws more at me) and if I try to deal with them I in turn get my ass whooped by the titan. But if I concentrate on countering an evading nothing gets accomplished. It's getting extremely frustrating!
_________________
Metantoine wrote:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?
CorpseFister wrote:
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.


Last edited by inhumanist on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Marag
Veteran

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:55 pm
Posts: 2660
Location: down there where chaos prevails
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:51 am 
 

Xeogred wrote:
From what I understand the PC versions of 2-3 look the best (and better than the nasty HD release). You can save anywhere too I think, in 3 at least. But the controls sound like a huge pain and yeah.

PS2?

I wish I had one.
If I can plug some gamepad to play in the PC it will be fine, as long it's not one of those absolutely buggy ports. Just don't want to play that HD bullshit

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9624
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:32 am 
 

VoidOfEternity wrote:
Pretty much, yeah. It's surprisingly quick to do, outside of that dreadful escort mission on your first trip to Gran Soren. I had the original Dragon's Dogma, so I received an Eternal Ferrystone, and my portcrystal locations are either right near the major events or close enough to them that you can pretty much zip through the game in a few hours. Add that to being high level with powerful equipment, and you can decimate a lot of the boss monsters in no time. It's obviously not ideal every time you get a new pair of pants to start the cycle and hurry on to face Grigori, so I waited until most of my equipment had been replaced with non-Dragonforged stuff.

Yeah, Cursed Dragons and the Ur-Dragon are both pretty solid for dragonforging. I once got *really* lucky in the Everfall and a frost drake (or whatever it was down there) dragonforged my Dragon's Dogma.

Sounds boring. I'd rather just retry a cursed dragon than go through the whole game every time. They spawn easily on BBI and their dragonforge rate is really high. Apparently they can even forge +0 gear at the same % chance, which I didn't know, and I might have saved money and resources. :lol:
The Ur-Dragon was a pain in the ass. Online it's just... stupid. Offline's a bit better, but still kinda boring IMO.

Quote:
Agreed on the healing pawn though. I would keep one around to enchant my weapon with holy for my fights against the Ur-Dragon, which was helpful, but no longer needed. But I ended up pulling in an entire party for that fight with the bishop. That dude was a pain in the ass.

The bishop? You mean the Papa Emeritus lookalike who summons a cursed dragon? I never struggled against him, weird. That cursed dragon scared me at first, 'cause the only time I had encountered one before then was in that courtyard with all the corrupt pawns, and he'd kick my ass so bad I had to run like hell (couldn't scratch him then). But it was a much weaker version and the fight turned out just fine.
_________________
Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
you can debate the actual date that metal began, but a fairly agreed upon date is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old
Extreme_violence wrote:
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Top
 Profile  
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 4417
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:00 pm 
 

Morrigan wrote:
Nice. Is that the ending where....?


Yeah, that's the one. I missed out on the better endings because
Spoiler: show
1) I didn't realize it was possible to save Cybil instead of killing her, even though it felt wrong to just...end her. But it's neat that they let you continue the game despite that. and 2) I didn't end up completing the little Kaufmann side story thing at the motel. I knew there was something I needed to do, but at the time I was low on ammo and I couldn't really explore the benighted outdoor hellscape without wasting more and possibly screwing myself over later on due to that. So I decided to just flee ahead, and again, awesome that you can still complete the game doing it that way. I really like that non-linearity.
Also, I wasted a lot of handgun ammo early in the game (at the first incarnation of the school) killing those knife-wielding babymonsters, before I realized a certain way to use the steel pipe that was actually quite effective and would've saved me tons of bullets, so that made things more difficult as well. Frustrating, that, but being low on ammo makes the whole experience that much more tense and really puts the "survival" back in survival horror, something I'm sure many games would do well to remember. I was also doing this first playthrough on hard mode to turn the survivalism up to 11.


Quote:
I think the first time I got this ending too. I remember my brother and I playing this (without guides of course) back in the day, exploring and experimenting with different things to try to get different endings. Felt pretty rewarding. And yes, the atmosphere is out of this world (no pun intended). I remember running away like a little bitch in that last part of the sewers, after you grab a key and those things come out... *shudders* And I remember almost-screaming in panic when I fumbled in the dark and was seemingly stuck against some obstacles and hearing the monsters behind me coming closer. Ah, the memories. :lol: I know everyone say SH2 is the best one and they're probably right objectively speaking (and SH2 does have Pyramid Head), but I will always have the fondest memories of SH1.


Hehehe. I do believe I found the overall experience of this game to be even more atmospheric and oppressive than Silent Hill 2, which while just as immersive didn't seem quite as stress-inducing. The audio of SH1 also did a great job of creating this constant tension, with that relentless sort of industrial pounding/moaning/buzzing that won't ever let you find any mental respite, all while half the time it's so dim and dark that you can barely see where the hell you're going. They really created a potent sense of being trapped, this kind of horrible, hopeless vibe.
_________________
Visual Art: The Illuminated Night
Drone: IA
Shop: House of the Black Wolf

Top
 Profile  
Poisonfume
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:26 pm
Posts: 1123
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:44 pm 
 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Anyone pick up the early access game Wrack on steam? Quasi-doom style old school FPS. I'd say the stages aren't nearly as labyrinthine as Doom (unfortunately), but the gun play is pretty fun.


I've been following this game closely since it appeared on steam greenlight. I'm not a fan of cel-shaded graphics but they look kind of charming in this game. Think I'll pick it up after its official release as I don't have time to go beta bug-hunting at the moment.
_________________
LegendMaker on pointless genre dissection wrote:
Will you in turn help me classify the shemale/ladyboy, tranny/ladyboy, ladyboy-shemale/tranny, and tranny-ladyboy/shemale sub-folders of my shemale/ladyboy/tranny collection?

Top
 Profile  
MorbidEngel
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:37 pm
Posts: 426
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:23 pm 
 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Anyone pick up the early access game Wrack on steam? Quasi-doom style old school FPS. I'd say the stages aren't nearly as labyrinthine as Doom (unfortunately), but the gun play is pretty fun.


I know about this one all too well. I was a global mod on the forum he (Carn, the creator of the game) made a section on (Skulltag) for said game. Then said forum was having massive software errors (vanishing threads, and more), and he basically didn't do shit to fix any of that. On top of that, in order to get any shit done concerning forum maintenance, we had to deal with him, and he did jack shit. His entire (Skulltag) dev team and forum staff (me included) basically jumped ship and began working on our own Doom sourceport, and the rest is history.

EDIT: Not to mention, he also used his old forum's (which was since shut down when we left) mailing list and ours to email a shitload of people to advertise his game. Without asking anyone or anyone signing up for said ad.
_________________
last.fm - Feel free to add, just let me know who you are first


Last edited by MorbidEngel on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
HydroDrone
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:31 am
Posts: 135
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:25 pm 
 

Reading all the silent hill fun makes me want to jump back into the series. I first played SH1 when i was like 10-11 i'd already played Resident evil 1 and 2, thought i was pretty tough but nothing could prepare me for what i'd face in SH1 at that age. What's even worse is in my town we have fire sirens that sound exactly like they do in SH. I remember being on my paper route in the afternoon a few times and it would start to get dark as i'd finish and a siren would sound . SCARRED.

Even now i'm in my late 20s and i still find it hard to play those games alone in the house.

Been switching it up between resident evil 4 and mass effect 1 lately. Thoroughly enjoying both.

Top
 Profile  
Earthcubed
Peregrinus sine aetate

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:44 am
Posts: 2600
Location: Orocarni
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:44 pm 
 

Never played anything other than SH4 because when my PS2 worked I hadn't gotten into horror games yet and I've never had a PS1 or 3. Liked it and everything I've heard about it is great, just haven't heard good things about the PC ports.



And I'm one of those heretics that thinks Quake 1 is better than Doom, so sue me. Amazing level design. Ditto on the expansions.
_________________
Quote:
<@failsafeman> if you touch a girl while you're fucking a gorilla, it doesn't count as gay
<@failsafeman> that's a rule

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 531, 532, 533, 534, 535, 536, 537 ... 622  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: inhumanist, Nahsil and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group