Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:00 pm 

Calling them industrial makes even less sense then calling them metal. Rammstein don't exactly remind me of Throbbing Gristle.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:29 pm 

The thing is, now industrial seemingly just means that particular genre mixed with a cold guitar tone and/or electronica.
Hehe, foreskins.

cloud197
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:04 am 

I actually really like Rammstein, my friend is a huge fan of them and the fiurst song I heard was Mein Herz Brent for my foreign language exploration class in 8th grade haha

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:33 pm 

I got Sensucht for free and it has some great tracks. Alter Man and Spiel Mit Mir are two of my favorites.

Thorr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:02 am 

They were the reason I took German in school. I lost interest in them after about two years, but stuck with the language. I can still dig them sometimes for nostalgic reasons.

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:40 pm 

caspian wrote:
Calling them industrial makes even less sense then calling them metal. Rammstein don't exactly remind me of Throbbing Gristle.

Whoever compared them to Throbbing Gristle doesn't know what they're talking about.

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:54 pm 

diabolikon wrote:
caspian wrote:

Whoever compared them to Throbbing Gristle doesn't know what they're talking about.

I doubt those who call Rammstein industrial even know who Throbbing Gristle are.

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:17 pm 

OneRodeToAsaBay wrote:
diabolikon wrote:
caspian wrote:

I doubt those who call Rammstein industrial even know who Throbbing Gristle are.

EXACTLY.

thammaren
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:52 am 

Rammstein .. I was a bit of a fan at age 12. The only songs of theirs I find listenable now are "Ich will" and "Feuer frei".

wight_ghoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:29 am 

Calling them industrial rock makes more sense then calling them metal. Laibach + Deutsch-Amerikanische Freundschaft = almost every aspect of Rammstein's sound and image. I mean, Laibach was basically playing Rammstein songs in the late 1980s. Listen to Opus Dei ("Leben - Tod" in particular if I recall correctly), much of it sounds like a lost Rammstein demo but I don't hear people talking about how metal Laibach are. I think you can hear some DAF too, especially in Rammstein's first few albums. "Der Mussolini" + some rock guitars and you've just about got a Rammstein song. You can certainly see some probable influence: compare Alles Ist Gut with Herzeleid.

Cool band anyway. First couple albums, at least, and the live one.

MaliciousAwesome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:44 pm 

I'd see them live..

ihunggod
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:15 am 

Rammstein reminds me of the nihilists from The big lebowski.

cloud197
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:47 pm 

Rammstein would be awesome to see live, I just bought a dvd of them and it was pretty cool.

Pale_Pilgrim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:25 am 

Loved them as a teen, they & System of a Down helped get me into metal. I own a copy of Herzeleid, which I think is their best. Still like 'em. I actually find their ballads to be their best work, like "Nebel", and "Ohne Dich", though the more up-tempo stuff like "Mein Teil" and "Asche zu Asche" make for good listening as well. I also must say that the chorus of "Rosenrot" is really damn catchy. "Heirate Mich" is probably my favorite by them. Nowadays, I listen to a few songs once in a while. They're good at what they do, and their live shows seem to be quite visually engaging, if Live Aus Berlin is anything to go by.

Last edited by Pale_Pilgrim on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Negru_Voda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:17 am 

I'm not very familiar with their catalogue but some of the songs I've heard definitely sound metal to me. I mean, how can you say that palm muted driving riff from Du Hast isn't metal? At the time I heard it it was about the heaviest thing I'd ever heard. Same with Der Meister, that main riff is pretty much a thrash riff. I will agree that other singles like Sonne or Amerika, while good, don't strike me as "purely" metal.

Oh, and how could I forget Asche zu Asche! Definitely a heavy metal riff in that one.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:31 am 

Heavy =/= metal.

A few "metallic" riffs does not a metal band make. Rammstein are a good band, I highly enjoy them and they're sure as hell entertaining, but they're neither metal nor industrial (as Caspian correctly pointed out).

Sir_Lucario
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:16 pm 

I like Rammstein, as well as similar bands such as Oomph!, Stahlhammer ect., but they aren't metal. They did, however, get me into more "intense" music.

Herzeleid is my favorite album from them. It's got "Asche Zu Asche", enough said.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:25 pm 

wight_ghoul wrote:
Calling them industrial rock makes more sense then calling them metal. Laibach + Deutsch-Amerikanische Freundschaft = almost every aspect of Rammstein's sound and image. I mean, Laibach was basically playing Rammstein songs in the late 1980s. Listen to Opus Dei ("Leben - Tod" in particular if I recall correctly), much of it sounds like a lost Rammstein demo but I don't hear people talking about how metal Laibach are. I think you can hear some DAF too, especially in Rammstein's first few albums. "Der Mussolini" + some rock guitars and you've just about got a Rammstein song. You can certainly see some probable influence: compare Alles Ist Gut with Herzeleid.

Cool band anyway. First couple albums, at least, and the live one.

I'd like to thank you for this post. I finally decided to check out more of DAF's material (all I had heard was "Der Mussolini" before), and it led me to learn more about the synthpunk movement that started in the late 70s.

No, this isn't related to Rammstein at all, but The Units were an awesome band I would probably never had heard of if it weren't for this post.

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:38 pm 

Rammstein is actually pretty cool aside from their material that's dominated by keyboards. Rosenrot is one of my favorites.

TyranTReX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:55 pm 

First song I heard by Rammstein was "Riese Riese", and I thought it was pretty epic and bad-ass. Next song was "Amerika", and damned if the Canadian didn't find it catchy.

They have a lot of other great songs too, but I don't particularly respect the excess of albums devoted to remixes. I would definitely pay decent money to see them live, though.

Smeg_head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:27 am 

Rammstein are excellent and incredible live. I nearly got burnt in the face by the fire hose when i saw them years ago, but it was truly a memorable gig, a good a first gig as I could've hoped and still one of my favourite gigs.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:17 am 

Herzeleid is a wonderful album, and I am not ashamed to say that I like Rammstein at all. I particularly like their keyboard driven songs, like Der Meister. I don't mean to be provocative, but if Rammstein is not industrial, then what are they? I don't feel that hard rock adequately describes their sound. Surely you can't fault me for calling them an industrial rock band?

Diabolism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:56 am 

I don't know really if Rammstein fit in the industrial metal category, the members have given Rammstein's genre the name "Tanz Metal" ("Dance metal"), but that's a little ridiculous.
Although they are (for me) industrial rock, it would be interesting if they played some death/black metal riffs with some fucking blast beats and double bass songs while playing with fire in a gig, THAT would be badass. :D

OlderBudweiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:38 am 

people who like Rammstein should check out the band Megaherz.They sound more like Rammstein,than that band itself :D

Sir_Lucario
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:51 pm 

OlderBudweiser wrote:
people who like Rammstein should check out the band Megaherz.They sound more like Rammstein,than that band itself :D

Ahh yes, Megaherz. They seem to be a little more guitar-driven than Rammstein though, especially Herzwerk II.

Alaphlosiam
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:43 am 

Sir_Lucario wrote:
OlderBudweiser wrote:

Ahh yes, Megaherz. They seem to be a little more guitar-driven than Rammstein though, especially Herzwerk II.
I have Wer Bist Du and Kopfschuss, and, though they're pretty good, the overall rapping that's done gets annoying. If anything, Eisbrecher is awesome - kind of a "heavier" Rammstein, though less on keyboards. Check out the song "Adrenalin" for Eisbrecher.
Do you realize that more Americans were killed by Great White than by the Iraqi Army in Gulf War 1?

Sir_Lucario
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:13 pm 

Alaphlosiam wrote:
Sir_Lucario wrote:
OlderBudweiser wrote:

I have Wer Bist Du and Kopfschuss, and, though they're pretty good, the overall rapping that's done gets annoying. If anything, Eisbrecher is awesome - kind of a "heavier" Rammstein, though less on keyboards. Check out the song "Adrenalin" for Eisbrecher.

I think they dropped the "rapping" on Himmelfahrt.

Eisbrecher used a lot more keyboards on their self-titled debut, even moreso than Rammstein. They got a lot heavier on Antikorper. In my opinion, it was a good move. Their first album didn't really appeal to me.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3