Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:16 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
MaDTransilvanian wrote:
I have some Back on Black LP's and I've heard from some people what the audio quality is inferior. I haven't noticed such a thing myself, but the artwork does occasionally come of as being inferior to original album covers, such as the BoB cover of In The Nightside Eclipse, which is a lot darker than the original and generally uglier.

BoB has improved a lot in recent years. I have Hvis Lyset Tar Oss from 2005 and Det Som Engang Var from 2008 and DSEV is much better sounding, noticeably heavier, and has better packaging.

Would you say it's worth $28? Because that's how much it is at Relapse and I kinda want to buy it.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:27 pm 

Unearthly wrote:
Listen to Machine Head (the album) on vinyl and you will understand.

Coincidentally, I did that just the other day! It was grand indeed.

The better question might be, why buy CDs? But we've had that topic on here before and quite recently, too.. CDs can easily be replaced by any other form of digital media. Vinyl, not being a digital medium, can't.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

caffeine_machine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:16 pm 

I love vinyls. I've been planning on buying a record player for a while now altohugh I can't decide which make is best. Any ideas?

I'd love to have a huge record collection, but I'm not going to start until I have something to play them on.

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:59 am 

TheJizzHammer wrote:
One reason I ask is because I have a Bodom record, BoB pressing, and I've had a couple problems with it. It is a picture disk. It skips a lot on the first track, once or twice on another.

It's a picture disk, which means that the grooves are much more shallow. Picture disks are mainly for hanging up on walls and showing everyone the cool picture you have.

DisembowelMe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:39 am 

I don't get this high maintenance/fragility you talk about with vinyls. All problems I've had with vinyls have been fixed by wiping it with a wet cloth, and when they sound crappy/skip they didn't even belong to me originally, and I received them in that condition. More cd's have been destroyed in my possession than vinyls.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:43 am 

CountBlagorath wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
MaDTransilvanian wrote:
I have some Back on Black LP's and I've heard from some people what the audio quality is inferior. I haven't noticed such a thing myself, but the artwork does occasionally come of as being inferior to original album covers, such as the BoB cover of In The Nightside Eclipse, which is a lot darker than the original and generally uglier.

BoB has improved a lot in recent years. I have Hvis Lyset Tar Oss from 2005 and Det Som Engang Var from 2008 and DSEV is much better sounding, noticeably heavier, and has better packaging.

Would you say it's worth $28? Because that's how much it is at Relapse and I kinda want to buy it.

Not quite. I pay'd $18 each for mine.

Chaos_Llama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:52 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
The better question might be, why buy CDs? But we've had that topic on here before and quite recently, too.. CDs can easily be replaced by any other form of digital media. Vinyl, not being a digital medium, can't.

It is the highest quality, most commonly used physical digital format you can buy. I would consider stopping buying CDs if digital download offered the same benefits (artwork, liner notes, high quality) but as of now it is a far inferior product.

CryptosGrimm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:05 pm 

caffeine_machine wrote:
I love vinyls. I've been planning on buying a record player for a while now altohugh I can't decide which make is best. Any ideas?

I'd love to have a huge record collection, but I'm not going to start until I have something to play them on.

Get an old school Technics player.

CryptosGrimm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:08 pm 

TheJizzHammer wrote:
I suppose I could post my question here.

Any experiences with Back on Black vinyl? Your thoughts?
I found Darkness Descends on BoB vinyl and I want it, but I don't know if the vinyl will be worthy. I don't need anything super-good, just something listenable that won't fuck up after a small number of plays.

One reason I ask is because I have a Bodom record, BoB pressing, and I've had a couple problems with it. It is a picture disk. It skips a lot on the first track, once or twice on another.

Picture discs generally blow for sound quality purposes... I have only had one bad experience with Back on Black Vinyl.. and I got my money back, so it wasn't too big of a deal..

The recent Death releases on Back On Black are quite nice.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:13 am 

CryptosGrimm wrote:
TheJizzHammer wrote:

I found Darkness Descends on BoB vinyl and I want it, but I don't know if the vinyl will be worthy. I don't need anything super-good, just something listenable that won't fuck up after a small number of plays.

Picture discs generally blow for sound quality purposes... I have only had one bad experience with Back on Black Vinyl.. and I got my money back, so it wasn't too big of a deal..

Sweet.
Thanks for the answers from all of you - very helpful.
Only disappointing thing now is that the only Bathory LPs I can find are on picture disc :( and I want to be able to play them.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:11 am 

TheJizzHammer wrote:
CryptosGrimm wrote:
TheJizzHammer wrote:

Sweet.
Thanks for the answers from all of you - very helpful.
Only disappointing thing now is that the only Bathory LPs I can find are on picture disc :( and I want to be able to play them.

The Bathory picture discs are the best quality PDs I've ever seen. Really heavy, and a great sound. I like the quality more than a lot of my other records.

Asti78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:28 am 

Well, I must say that I have my favourite albums both on vinyl & CD. Of course the CD is a much more convenient way, as mentioned before, show me a turntable usable in a car?
And I listen to 80% of all music in the car, so there is no other way that a CD as I'm no friend of mp3, I even don't have a player.
Of course some releases only exist as vinyl or only as CD, so there is no alternative, but generally it makes my heart go wild when I step through my vinyl collection.
I think I still know where I got each vinyl from and have a little history to most of the pieces which is not the case with most of the CDs.
Good users: ins88(2x), Oligarch, Mr_Belvedere(8x), coldsunproductions, Apostate, narlotep, Kubrat(5x), caine(2x), nothenam(2x), Mysticus(2x), Peststurm(3x), Brandanschlag, MDeth, MikeyC, SepticTomb, thunderbelial, KevinPage, Desekrate, WASPcollector, Wolfhead(2x), Mephs, ...

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:27 am 

Yesterday on the radio I played all of Sacrifice's Forward to Termination from a vinyl that had probably been in the station's collection for 20 years. Both sides popped like mad. When it was done, my friends and I poked fun at the fragility of records. Some guy called in pissed after the show.

japc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:57 pm 

PhantomOTO wrote:
Yesterday on the radio I played all of Sacrifice's Forward to Termination from a vinyl that had probably been in the station's collection for 20 years. Both sides popped like mad. When it was done, my friends and I poked fun at the fragility of records. Some guy called in pissed after the show.

Just one guy? :) Anyway, you can clean the vinyl for lesser dust, meaning lesses pops and clicks.

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:08 pm 

japc wrote:
PhantomOTO wrote:

Just one guy? :) Anyway, you can clean the vinyl for lesser dust, meaning lesses pops and clicks.

We were just being subversive. :-P I know about properly caring for vinyl and all that. Also, I'm bothered that the head of my university's radio station just lets so many great records rot on the shelves because he likes them there for "atmosphere" (they are rarely actually played as most DJs just plug in their laptops and iPods for the shows) and won't sell or give them away no matter how many times it is suggested and how obviously it could benefit the university, radio station, and fans like myself. So our joking was partly motivated by that resentment.

Last edited by ~Guest 3496 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:16 pm 

A little off topic but my uncle has an old car with a turntable in the center. You can't play it while driving of course, but he used to impress everybody in his school by having a car that played music.

crustcorestenchhead9
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:56 pm 

haha thats dope about your uncles turntable in his car, I'd be impressed!

the only back on black record I have is the Immortal - Sons of the Northern Darkness reissue... it's on blue 180 gram vinyl, it sounds great!

I like vinyl for the fact that it has a its own sound, it seems warmer and fuller and who doesnt love that crackle? same with cassetts, they might sound a little shitty, but they a sound of there own that CD can not replicate

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:52 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
The Bathory picture discs are the best quality PDs I've ever seen. Really heavy, and a great sound. I like the quality more than a lot of my other records.

I'll have to buy one and give it a shot. I'd like to have most of his records on vinyl, even though I'd rather it not be picture disk. I'll take it anyway, though.

elpino
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:52 pm 

CryptosGrimm wrote:

Indeed.. I got "Sound of Perseverance" and it has a rich, powerful sound, plus, the cover and artwork is excellent.

Although I got some stuff on CD, I've been collecting vinyl for some years (I'm more used to think on an "album" on its vinyl release more than on CD since I was raised on a home full of records), and there's something about vinyl that makes me love to spin those black circles.. maybe is the artwork, maybe is the sound... just don't know.
Then, I really like the idea of having the original releases of those old classic gems (Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, etc) and it just blows my mind to listen to those beautiful treasures while relaxing at my home..

fluff987
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:01 pm 

Am I the only one that likes the smell of old Vinyl? I don't know a whole lot concerning quality of the recordings and what not I mainly use my turntable to convert out of print vinyls and tapes into mp3s, but I love the clicks and pops and the fuzzy noise a record makes. Like nothing else...

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:30 am 

Vacuum Tubes.

That's why high quality stereo's from years ago sound so good. They can produce very good quality sound with lower distortion and a wider frequency range.

That's way they typically sell four thousands on ebay.

You might do well to check out some garage sales or "flea markets", where an occasional gem might be found.

Edit:

Turntable Stereo for the car:

:headbang:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2