Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
theneuromancer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:50 pm 

So this Halloween I plan on bringing my speakers outdoors to play some freaky-ass music while the kids have to creep into the dark and creepy back-way of my building if they really want to get some candy. I'm not looking to play blast-beat music to piss my neighbours the fuck off, but rather, some terribly shitty black metal that is essentially just screams, shrieks, and scary/creepy sounds in general. The best (and only so far) example that I have is Aäkon Këëtrëh, especially Journey into the Depths of Night demo. Dark winter also essentially is just a bunch of groaning, moaning and creaking, but I can only go so far with that. I'm looking to make a playlist that will last the whole night without me having to tend to the music so I'm wondering if you guys could lend me your suggestions. Of course I could just get some generic Halloween music, but I think it will be a lot cooler if I am able to assemble a list from bands solely on the MA. I'll eventually post a list of my final mix when I get around to it so you guys can tell me what you think and if there is anything missing. So, go with your suggestions!

To buy the album:
http://vehemal.com/

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:17 pm 

Don't mess with children, dude.
He's fucking older than me!

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:35 pm 

One year, I dressed as Jason Voorhees for Halloween to take my kid trick or treating. I carried a real machete. By all means, try messing with my boy.

By they way, my son was dressed as Leatherface.

Playing music just to piss people off makes us all look bad. Not bad-ass, just like immature assholes.

Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:51 pm 

I'm with Opsius Cato. Kids sometimes have a hard time distinguishing reality from pretend, depending on their age. It doesn't make you less bad ass to treat kids with some caution and respect. You're still a bad ass and deeply evil.

Besides .. to actually provide a spooky atmosphere, you're better off sitting in your truck with the light on like a base head and screaming your head off.

Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:01 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:

Oh come on, he's gonna make a metal playlist, not throw poisonous apples to the kids. But I agree with Resident_Hazard, don't piss people off with uber raw black metal for the sake of your own satisfaction!

Halloween for me is silly and fun and spooky in a weird but joyful way. You obviously need some King Diamond! Maybe some dungeon synth?

Include this for sure, free download here: http://tjolgtjar.bandcamp.com/album/halloween

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Last.fm
Halberd (doom/death)

FasterDisaster
OMG WAT DOES THIS CAPS LOCK KEY DO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:39 pm 

I still want to be a slasher stalking an expensive neighborhood on Halloween one night. Could be fun.

Xlxlx
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:45 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
I still want to be a slasher stalking an expensive neighborhood on Halloween one night. Could be fun.

And could also get you arrested.

I'm all for scaring kids during Halloween, as long as they're having fun in the process. That OP doesn't sound like fun.
I wish I had a black hole and an infinite supply of B83 atomic bombs, each time letting the heat barely rub against all of you before sucking it back with a black hole so I could slowly nuke the previous page over and over again for all time.

Exigence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:32 pm 

Bethlehem - Dark Metal

That's become my standard answer to these type of questions.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:28 pm 

Seriously, what's up with everyone saying he should lay this off? He specifically said he's not out to piss of the neighbors or be cool/bad ass/that guy, but that he just wants to provide some atmosphere for kids that want to eat candy and 'be scared'. We thankfully don't really have Halloween here in Denmark, but this just sounds like a guy trying to actually do some fun stuff for the neighborhood trick o treaters. I think it sounds great, but I can't help much, because I don't listen to crappy black metal. Acid Witch is some synthastic, Halloween themed death/doom, so pretty fun/stupid in its own right, but probably not good for the mood you're going for.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:34 pm 

Stalaggh. Vorkuta.

KinskiTemper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:59 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:

Did you read the guy's post? No? This is no different than people playing those CD's you can buy at Halloween stores for haunted houses. It's just a black metal version of that. That's not messing with children. That's, you know, adding to the spirit of Halloween.

KinskiTemper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:00 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
One year, I dressed as Jason Voorhees for Halloween to take my kid trick or treating. I carried a real machete. By all means, try messing with my boy..

Oh man so badass, wow.

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:35 pm 

I'm probably breaking the rules here, but what would be cooler and more appropriate in my opinion ;

Slasher Dave - Spookhouse
Halloween - OST
Suspiria - OST
Fantomas - Delerium Cordia

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:04 am 

OpsiusCato wrote:

it's not like he's telling them every Sunday that they'll burn in hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjHaJq1BTQ4

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:24 am 

If you're playing Aäkon Këëtrëh, might as well throw some Moëvöt in. Satanicum Tenebrae if you can find Meyhna'ch's demos too.

Maybe also Leviathan's A Silhouette in Splinters?

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:10 am 

You may try Abruptum "Obscuritatem Advoco Amplectére Me": I'l pretty sure it can't get more creepy than this.

my trade list

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:56 am 

KinskiTemper wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
One year, I dressed as Jason Voorhees for Halloween to take my kid trick or treating. I carried a real machete. By all means, try messing with my boy..

Oh man so badass, wow.

I mostly stood menacingly on people's lawns as he got candy. At least once, I was mistaken for a "creepily realistic" decoration.

I'm actually not much of a badass.

Last edited by Resident_Hazard on Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnTheDrummer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:45 pm 

You want to scare the shit out of the neighborhood? Well there is no questions to ask, Babymetal 100%.
http://www.facebook.com/funeralageofficial

Dalla Nebbia
http://www.facebook.com/dallanebbiamusic
http://www.dallanebbia.bandcamp.com

theneuromancer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:23 pm 

Wow guys, thanks for all the responses, I checked out most of these suggestions and there are some really great ones.

For me Halloween has always been my favorite time growing up because I grew up in a small village in New Brunswick Canada (though I've been in Montreal Québec for about 15 years now) where people got really into it and made really scary haunted houses. All the kids knew which houses were the best to go to and the scariest ones seemed to always have the best candy, so even though you were kinda scared to go in you knew it would be worth it. Halloween is the only time of year where the normal streets turn into a goblin ridden nightmare and it was the most fun memory of my childhood. It's not going to be that scary I don't think, I mean, some people here In Québec make "haunted corn mazes" just outside of the city where masked people run around with chainsaws and "the Ring" style women creepily wander while others follow you and suddenly grab you while you are lost in this maze trying to find the exit... and parents actually bring there kids there! I really laughed out loud though when Metantoine said "it's not like he's throwing poisonous apples at them" haha.

Anyway, still taking suggestions if anyone has more, these are really good so far. I found a band in Ontario called "Wintermute" that kinda sounds like the dungeon synth music. Also the reason I'm putting Aäkon Këëtrëh is precisely because it doesn't sound like black metal, there are no drums in that demo and barely audible guitars, all you hear is screeches with a clean guitar playing dissonant passages, it really sounds like Halloween music you would buy at the store. Plus I'm not gonna blast it a top volume, and anyway I think my neighbours will tolerate some noise for a few hours that night.

To buy the album:

martinsane
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:34 am 

Erotetic wrote:
OpsiusCato wrote:

it's not like he's telling them every Sunday that they'll burn in hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjHaJq1BTQ4

Excellent! Speaking to the quote not the music...

UltraLordExcalibur
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:11 pm 

Instead of giving candy, slash your wrist and bleed into their trick or treat basket. Hahahahaha. That might scare them.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:50 pm 

Actually, I just remembered a few Zelda Reorchestrated tracks fit the bill if you're looking for spooky stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enYyrymAoGk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ept9njyj4jc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGoNvs-Qngw

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:56 pm 

This thread reminded me of a Halloween way back in the day when I was trick-or-treating with my mom and older brother. I have a vague memory of my brother walking up to some guy's doorstep by himself and being chased back to the street by a dude with a revved-up weedeater.

Please... don't be that guy.

the_raytownian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:58 am 

rehtaF ruO and Amaka Hahina are pretty much "spooky sound effects" producers disguised as BM musicians. Just play those.

Kveldulfr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:50 am 

Or you can just make your own spider dog.
Vahşet in ReverbNation - Death metal

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:18 pm 

maidenpriestmanic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:06 pm 

Not black metal, but I always put Halloween by Helloween on a halloween playlist, that and also fright night by stratovarius.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:00 pm 

If you really want to scare the kiddos, blast this:

(Listener discretion advised)

Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:51 pm 

Trying to genuinely scare children is for tweens and/or sociopaths (or a hermit using fear as psychological barbed wire), but I support convincing haunt.

I think Disjecta Membrae would serve you well. Also, Shinjuku Thief.

Headless420
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:58 pm 

Dwarr on loop.

theneuromancer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:12 am 

Anyway it's getting close, my playlist is almost done, but still have a week if there are any final additions.

To buy the album:

hansgrinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:26 am 

these two on repeat. surprised they haven' been mentioned yet.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:32 pm 

Hopefully these help. They aren't black metal but they might sound creepy on Halloween.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:52 pm 

Maybe something from that album. It's like a soundtrack into a horror movie and really feels like you are in a grimy, mental hospital from the 50s back when they used methods like lobotomies and electro-shock therapy.

theneuromancer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:49 pm 

I hate to be a bumping whore (no I don't) but I'm bumping this post. 3 days to Halloween and I need your recommendations! It doesn't even have to be metal at this point just anything other than "Monster Mash" will be highly appreciated (you can all rest assured: the Bobby Pickett "classic" will definitely NOT make an appearance on at least this Halloween playlist).

To buy the album:

NoKnownName
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:17 pm 

theneuromancer wrote:
I hate to be a bumping whore (no I don't) but I'm bumping this post. 3 days to Halloween and I need your recommendations! It doesn't even have to be metal at this point just anything other than "Monster Mash" will be highly appreciated (you can all rest assured: the Bobby Pickett "classic" will definitely NOT make an appearance on at least this Halloween playlist).

Misfits, Misfits, Misfits. Danzig-era, of course.
Doom is the blues of metal, you either feel it or you don't.

CorpseFister
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:23 pm 

I don't think anyone has mentioned Haveohej's Kembatinan Premaster. It has some really strange, unsettling stuff on it. For the record I absolutely love the album and taking bits of it out of context is a disservice to it, artistically speaking, but that lack of context would likely make it be all the more off-putting and potentially creepy.

BenjaminC81
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:01 am 

I'd say blast some King Diamond, Rob Zombie or Acid Witch (they have some cool synthesizer instrumentals) if we're talking more conventional metal. Slasher Dave also has a few instrumental albums out which contain some pretty bad ass 80's synthesizer tunes ala John Carpenter which are perfect for the Halloween season. Otherwise i would recommend some atmospheric ambient stuff like "Hexerei Im Zwielicht der Finsternis" by Aghast or one of the albums by Abruptum. Or if you want to go even further try some of the demented stuff by Stalaggh which should have kids pissing their pants.

zahgurim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:22 pm 

I know it's been mentioned already, but personally I think that any soundtrack by Goblin is probably the best you could have for this scenario. Sure, much of it is progressive, but so much of Goblin's work has a profoundly creepy atmosphere. Beyond recommended are their soundtracks for classics such as 'Suspiria', 'Profondo Rosso', 'Zombi', 'Patrick', 'Roller', etc. Hope this helps!

the_raytownian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:16 pm 

theneuromancer wrote:

Are you not satisfied with the 15-20 or so recommendations given already? Jeez... At this point, you're better off actually doing some research on your own... and post the playlist here when it's done.

Reply to topic