Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lastdodobird
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:35 pm
Posts: 417
Location: Philippines
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:46 am 
 

What do you guys think about these articles?

"In the Name of Love" from Jacobin

"A Life Beyond ‘Do What You Love’" from the New York Times

Quote:
In a much discussed article in Jacobin magazine early this year, the writer Miya Tokumitsu argued that the “do what you love” ethos so ubiquitous in our culture is in fact elitist because it degrades work that is not done from love. It also ignores the idea that work itself possesses an inherent value, and most importantly, severs the traditional connection between work, talent and duty.


I think both of these are great articles. Basically, we'd all love to do what we love, but the ones who say that are the people privileged enough to have had that work for them. It's kind of centered around a speech Steve Jobs gave where he advocated it because it worked for him and now he was on top of the world. "But by portraying Apple as a labor of his individual love, Jobs elided the labor of untold thousands in Apple’s factories, conveniently hidden from sight on the other side of the planet — the very labor that allowed Jobs to actualize his love."

It reminds me of a very timely Maya Angelou quote: "Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it."

So I think what's at the heart of this is that the people who did what they love and eventually got successful think it was just a matter of doing it long enough and not giving up. But really it's a matter of luck and timing.

Personally, I've had a growing problem with the "Do what you love" and "Follow your passion" mantras through the years (with regards to pursuing a job). It's great for those who can afford to chase their dreams, but really impractical for most people. Sometimes you just have to do what you need to do, be thankful for what you have, and keep in mind that your work is not necessarily what defines you.

I love this comment from the NYT article and I feel the same way:

Quote:
Great Article.

After working 16 years in various organisations in IT, I am in frustration now. I have 6-digit salary, great cars, nice family - but I feel bad that I couldn't do anything out of my passion. It seems that I wasted my last 16 years.

Last night I was driving back from my friend's house with 2 kids in the back seat. My 5-years-old son sat on the child seat crossing his legs and resting his face on his right palm as if he is the most happy and relax human being on the planet. I felt that I didn't waste my 16 years.

My last 16 years isn't worthless.

Many people hate to work 9-to-5 as I hate. When you see your kids and family are happy because of your hard work, you find that your hard work has a lot of value to others.

Top
 Profile  
marcomai
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:19 am
Posts: 124
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:41 am 
 

Those were interesting articles.

There's a weird combination of misinformation, privilege and a sense of entitlement pervading the culture. By 'the culture' I mean Western, 1st world Coca Cola iPad culture. It seems almost logical to go along with the DWYL line and seems almost churlish to scrutinise it.

The 1st world is pampered and pussy assed. A lot of us do think that we have a universal right to fulfilment and that's the DWYL in a nutshell. I've done some terrible jobs and some great ones. There was definitely fulfilment to be had from some of them, and they elicited interest when people asked what I did. It would now be hard to do a job I hated, where people smile and try to move on quickly after you answer the 'what do you do?' question.

Ive never had a job doing what I loved though. Thats only because Ive not put the requisite work in. Im not from a wealthy background at all but Im privileged enough by virtue of living in the UK and being reasonably well educated that I could start from scratch, maybe get a bar job or a supermarket one again to cover rent and then strive to make the life I dream of and love happen. Only because of privilege.

Some people might be shite at what they love so will never make a living from it. But they may well feel they're entitled to the fulfilment that comes with a life doing what they love so will keep trying, trotting out the self help jargon.

We just make the mistake in believing we deserve to be happy and comfortable. Those of us who are are so fucking lucky.

Top
 Profile  
Erotetic
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 900
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:44 am 
 

lastdodobird wrote:
Quote:
It also ignores the idea that work itself possesses an inherent value,



if it's just an idea, not a good argument, why shouldn't it be ignored like god in biology class?
_________________
В Ожидании Смерти

Top
 Profile  
Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:45 am
Posts: 603
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:29 am 
 

Of course that I don't like my work, you just have to see the bright side and remember why you work. A big part of growing up, I think, is coming to terms with the fact that sometimes you just gotta do shit you don't really want to do. But it's all for something.

You work to live, you don't live to work. Damn...

Top
 Profile  
severzhavnost
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:16 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:20 am 
 

Erotetic wrote:

if it's just an idea, not a good argument, why shouldn't it be ignored like god in biology class?


Work does have value inherently as a concept. How could it possibly not be a good thing to be non-useless?

lastdodobird wrote:

Quote:
In a much discussed article in Jacobin magazine early this year, the writer Miya Tokumitsu argued that the “do what you love” ethos so ubiquitous in our culture is in fact elitist


Yeah, how dare anyone presume to follow their dream and end up happier and more successful than anyone else? We're all equal and must remain so from cradle to grave! Let's all adopt "meh." as our life's motto, that way everyone's will be equally half-assed and unfulfilling. Then the world will be a fair place. Honestly, what a load.

And the NYT article was just some guy bitching for absolutely no reason.
marcomai wrote:
the western culture is pampered and pussy assed.
Indeed.
_________________
bassistneededlolnot wrote:
I tried to think of another good pun on the topic, but I'm stumped.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 19089
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:30 am 
 

DWYL isn't really that elitist. Presuming everyone should just follow whatever entertainment or hobby-related jobs they love is a naive way to interpret it. It's more about finding some value in your life whether it's directly from your job or just about what your job helps you do, i.e. pay rent, send your kids to school, etc. Maybe you can't do what you love while working, but there's nothing stopping you from having a hobby during non-work time that fulfills your other desires.

Of course there's value in work, insofar as "value" actually means anything...obviously not everyone can be Steve Jobs and start a huge company, and not everyone can be a famous actor or comedian or whatever else they secretly want to do. However, it's about the mindset: don't just get stuck in a rut and hate your job. I doubt Jobs or anyone else who says that intends to demean those who work in hotels or clean bathrooms at convenience stores. However, if you've got something you want to do, you at least try. If you're stuck doing some low-rent job, well, you find ways to be happy and find meaning in it anyway, because you have a reason to be there. The tone of both those articles is just like the authors had chips on their shoulders.

I really think those who are blasting this idea don't really get what it means in the first place. As children, well yeah, we are taught to go ahead and follow our dreams. As adults it takes a back seat to more realistic thinking, and we can still find value in other things, even a mundane job that we may not like so much.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: 12 Great New Halloween Staples

Top
 Profile  
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:27 pm
Posts: 1176
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:22 am 
 

It can be elitist if looked at from a stance other than allowing a person to fulfill their dreams
But, I honestly don't give a fuck. I do whatever I do to get by and then try to do what I want afterwards. I know that, realistically, I've a slim chance of being able to 'do what I want' and whatever shit job I end up with after college I'll probably end up hating eventually if not immediately. It's just life for some folks. Everyone seeks fulfilment and life satisfaction, but not everyone can/will actually achieve it.
_________________
محارب البلاك ميتال

Top
 Profile  
TripeOverload
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:46 am
Posts: 234
Location: Romania (The Land of Jokes)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:45 am 
 

I love doing translation work to earn my dough. But there were so many times when I shat bricks because the texts had all sorts of super-specific terms and had to do a whole lot of research. Each time I would say "this is sucking my brains and eyes dry", and within a minute after my bank account got an extra layer of $ I would ask for more work. Most of the persons that try to maintain high standards in their work have a hard time, doesn't really matter whether you "love" what you are doing or you are a duty-driven individual.
_________________
Smoking_Gnu wrote:
But seriously, someone tell me what's so funny about Hellveto's name. Is veto Polish for blowjob or something?

Top
 Profile  
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:22 pm
Posts: 2572
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:36 am 
 

Perspective helps a lot too. Sometimes I think, "Oh man, I sure I wish I had [awesome job] living in [city] like [Friend X]!" But then I remember [Friend Y] couldn't find a full-time job at all, is living with his parents and doesn't even have the money to pursue a hobby. Or remembering how my parents were both working high-stress jobs immediately out of college that had a rather damaging impact on their personal lives, whereas I rather enjoy my job even if it isn't 100% ideal. So in many cases I certainly feel lucky for where I am. By the same token I don't want that to make me lazy; so I'm going to try as hard as I can to improve/idealize my situation, but not I'm not going to freak out if things don't work out as planned.

Outside that, I think Empyreal's point is pretty much spot-on.
_________________
henkkjelle on the Dutch wrote:
Actually we have a extra set of appendages protruding out of our lower ribs especially designed for rummaging through our poop. Newborns that do not possess these appendages are thrown of a mountain.

Top
 Profile  
Manic Maniac
Grammaritically Challengated

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:58 pm
Posts: 183
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:47 pm 
 

Empyreal pretty much took the words right out of my mouth, which is good since I suck at communicating. Yeah, I don't see how doing what you love is elitist in any way possible. Unless there are people out there who shove their ideaology that you should do what you love, than I don't see how it's elitist. I find that people who think that people should abandon their dreams because "it's for their own good" are likely ignorant. (either that, or just foolish and emo) And, I do believe, ignorance is the main source of elitism.
_________________
dzh dzh dzh dzh, dzh dzh dzh dzh, dzh dzh dzh dzh, DZHZH DZHZH!!
dzh dzh dzh dzh, dzh dzh dzh dzh, dzh dzh dzh dzh, DZHZH DZHZH!!

Top
 Profile  
Erotetic
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 900
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:18 am 
 

severzhavnost wrote:
Erotetic wrote:

if it's just an idea, not a good argument, why shouldn't it be ignored like god in biology class?


Work does have value inherently as a concept. How could it possibly not be a good thing to be non-useless?


the useless are rarely taken into slavery.
but I think you're equivocating, anyway.
your doing work for me having value for me is not the same as you doing work for me having value for you. did they really mean nothing more than production is valuable, therefore anything capable of work in the physical sense therefore has value, meaning that your life has value if I put you do work as a slave, forcing you to achieve something of inherent value? I doubt that's what they're arguing, since that's far more dehumanizing than any elitism about what kind of work you want to be paid to do.
_________________
В Ожидании Смерти

Top
 Profile  
severzhavnost
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:16 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:01 am 
 

Damn, Ero! I guess that was my fault for talking about work 'conceptually'. Because yes, in that sense, slavery is work. I don't think slavery is included in the usual scope of that silly-assed "Is work that's not your ideal, valuable?" argument though. People asking that question are most likely only thinking of voluntary work, which was why my response also had that omission.
_________________
bassistneededlolnot wrote:
I tried to think of another good pun on the topic, but I'm stumped.

Top
 Profile  
dystopia4
Veteran

Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm
Posts: 3526
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:37 pm 
 

Yeah, I do think this mindset that is often pushed is a bit elitist and narcissistic. By all means, find a career path you enjoy. However, if your true passion is something artistic it would probably be better to do it on the side and if you get good/lucky enough to be able to make a living off it, then that's excellent. However, society needs workers in jobs that aren't about following your passion to function. I don't like washing dishes, but I'll gladly do it to save money for school. Life isn't fair and it's never going to be and people need to get over this. I'd love to make a living off writing, and I'll definitely continue doing it on the side, but I'm not holding my breath for me to be able to make a living off it.
_________________
http://ifthisishellthenimlucky.blogspot.ca/

Top
 Profile  
Earthshine
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:53 pm
Posts: 17
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:48 pm 
 

One thing that annoys me is that people have to associate "doing what you love" with having whatever that is as your source of income.

Personally, most of the stuff I "love" doesn't have the potential to make any money. No one is going to pay me to go fishing, drink beer and listen to music unfortunately.

My approach is do what you love, and get a job you don't hate to support it.

Top
 Profile  
awheio
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:00 am
Posts: 286
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:42 pm 
 

I echo Earthshine and Empyrial's points, as well as those who have expressed similar views in this thread. I offer a couple other observations in addition.

When you hear that you should DWYL, you should ask, "as opposed to what?" One answer might be, "as opposed to what is intrinsically valuable". That's an issue I set aside because whether anything is intrinsically valuable is too complex of a question for our purposes. Another answer might be, "as opposed what you've been told to do" e.g. by society or by your parents. It seems reasonable enough that, given that opposition, it is better to do what you love -- this means that first you have to figure out what genuinely love, as opposed to what you merely believe you love.

I also think that, at its heart, this DWYL stuff has nothing to do with entitlement or desert; those who do what they love do not presume that they are entitled to or deserve success or happiness. Indeed, the idea seems to me to be quite contrary to this: It suggests that we should do what we love, even if it makes certain forms of happiness less accessible (such as "contentment"). We should take risks, and so on. This all makes sense to me.

I would summarize the foundational premise here thus: You should be authentic. Authenticity is available to anyone, no matter their socioeconomic circumstances, in principle. It may be easier to maintain for those who are privileged, but so what? If helping the needy is valuable, the fact that the privileged can more easily help the needy is no objection to that value.

Top
 Profile  
Expedience
Veteran

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:22 am
Posts: 3738
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:28 am 
 

lastdodobird wrote:
Last night I was driving back from my friend's house with 2 kids in the back seat. My 5-years-old son sat on the child seat crossing his legs and resting his face on his right palm as if he is the most happy and relax human being on the planet. I felt that I didn't waste my 16 years.

My last 16 years isn't worthless.

Many people hate to work 9-to-5 as I hate. When you see your kids and family are happy because of your hard work, you find that your hard work has a lot of value to others.


Yeah, this argument doesn't work for me. I've seen trailer trash and Indian slum dwellers with happy families and millionaires with unhappy, depressed kids. It seems to me a McDonald's worker or unemployed artist is no less likely to have happy kids than a billionaire. It's merely a poor justification for hating your work and regretting it.

Top
 Profile  
yentass
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:28 am
Posts: 911
Location: Israel
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:44 am 
 

Desperta_Ferro wrote:
You work to live, you don't live to work. Damn...

BAM. Here's the motto to live by.
_________________
Voidal, Doom/Death Metulz.
kingnuuuur wrote:
DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Top
 Profile  
BlackFlags
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:07 pm
Posts: 104
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:57 am 
 

I wouldn't call that an elitist way of thinking, but I would perhaps say that it is ignorant. Or potentially ignorant. The lucky ones are born into an industry, or into a business that they can learn in and take over one day. If you're not born into something, or your family/family friends can't get you into anything, then you have to rely on yourself, and should tailor your job pursuits towards something you have the mental aptitude or skills to excel in. Even if you don't have the skills and can afford training/study, you should pick something within your reach, or start at the bottom as a laborer and work your way up.

Life's hard. It's unfair to most and is not likely to get any easier, in fact it is getting harder lately. You just have to work towards an achievable goal/position and make use of every opportunity. Like others have said, I agree with that sentiment that you work to live, not live to work. Enjoy your life.

Top
 Profile  
Exigence
Age: 28 (Wait, what?!)

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:42 pm
Posts: 888
Location: New Orleans
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:26 am 
 

I wake up and go to a job I hate everyday. It's a 65-70 hour a week prison camp and once you subtract taxes and denial of overtime pay, less than minimum wage per hour. I fantasize about quitting everyday but I need every last paycheck and it's going to be done in another 5 weeks. I just don't know how I'll survive it. I have to lobotomize myself every morning just to absorb the punishment and get through the hours.

Sure, you can do what you love. I've done that a lot. You just won't get paid for it. If you weren't born rich, you are a slave to someone who was. Well, indentured servitude perhaps. Though you could say the complete absense of personal freedom in lieu of financial restraints and employment time demands is a version of slavery as well. The fact that you have no other option also plays into it. Do you suck the fat dick or the medium sized dick? You're still sucking someone's dick.
_________________
"I adore war. It's like a big picnic without the objectiveness of a picnic. I've never been so well or happy."

Top
 Profile  
BlackFlags
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:07 pm
Posts: 104
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:08 am 
 

^ Agreed. You've still got to take it, one way or another.

Sometimes I wish I could live off of album/book sales on a farm in the french countryside like Varg. If only we could all be so lucky.

Top
 Profile  
teh_Foxx0rz
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 9:38 am
Posts: 321
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:53 pm 
 

I'm a pretty wimpy human being but I find it really difficult to work hard at things I'm not invested in. But that itself is relative, since people have different things along their path to where they'd like to be, so one man's dead-end fast-food job is another man's ticket out of the gutter. "Do what you love" shouldn't be "screw everything else, just be happy", but instead it's just about having a sense of purpose to doing the jobs you do. Whether it's just to feed a hobby or family, or to progress past it. Or even just to get the paycheque and damn the job.

Assuming that people can just jump to the top of their chosen ladder is kinda elitist. Encouraging people to put in effort for themselves for their own satisfaction (even if that's simply through the satisfaction of others) isn't.

Top
 Profile  
Nameless_Rites
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:21 am
Posts: 184
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:57 pm 
 

"Do what you love" is the most bullshit advice anyone could ever give. Very few people love working with math, and no one loves taking out the garbage, scraping dead bodies off the highway or cleaning the toilet, all of which society needs to function.

It's a lot more useful to follow a career that you can abide and seek fulfillment outside of work. I have worked as a teacher and salesman, I wouldn't say I "love" either career but they pay the bills and leave me with enough time for reading, playing music, working out, time with friends etc and that's enough for me.

Top
 Profile  
CF_Mono
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 1460
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:40 am 
 

I never bought the whole love your gig thing, because I'm still not entirely sure what I want to do career wise but I enjoy any job where I can put in muscle or sweat and see tangible results. I do still agree with the premise of love fueling elitism though, because the idea could be applied in other places. You know the more someone studies something they love, the more elitist they are, like history majors, political scientists, environmental scientists etc.... The more time you spend worshipping a culture like surrounding card game or RPG or whatever nerds are doing these days, the more you plunge yourself into elitism (unfortunately). And, well, I don't think I have to use metalheads as an example :lol:
_________________
Doom or be doomed...
My current band. Wretched doom trio from NY.

Top
 Profile  
J_Ason
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:46 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:38 am 
 

I don't have any personal experience to share, but here are two videos that have informed my thinking on the subject (the first one pro-follow your passions, the second anti):
https://www.ted.com/talks/larry_smith_w ... eat_career
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUQjAAwsKR8
_________________
Check out my blog: theblrpperspective.blogspot.se
Here's what people are saying about it:
"Such beauty inspires one to give the gift of murder" -Lord Worm
"I concur" -John Wilkes Booth
"I have been shot in the head, but at least I got to read that kickass blog" -Abraham Lincoln

Top
 Profile  
Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Posts: 2157
Location: At the bottom of the lake
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:56 pm 
 

It might not be elitist thinking so much as privileged thinking. It's pretty common for people with socio-economic wiggle room and options to end up feeling like failures if they aren't utterly fulfilling themselves. Pragmatism comes for us all at some point. It's also pretty common for people in those lenient situations to be naive and think that it people just apply themselves some magical thing will happen where hard work and a good heart will overcome socio-economic limitations with good old fashioned boot strapping (the failure of liberal philosophy). Millions/billions of people don't have that opportunity, and maybe resentment or the douchy attitudes of the privileged make them characterize it as elitist. But if you have some space in which to make a run for something you're passionate about, go for it full force.

Exigence wrote:
I wake up and go to a job I hate everyday. It's a 65-70 hour a week prison camp and once you subtract taxes and denial of overtime pay, less than minimum wage per hour. ... I just don't know how I'll survive it. I have to lobotomize myself every morning just to absorb the punishment and get through the hours.

me: So you're chopping sugar cane for a guy who's confiscated your passport and drinking yourself to sleep every night? Sounds fucked.
him: Actually it's not so bad. I still have my health and have plenty of money to pay for an internet connection and a cell phone on top of rent and beer, I'm just fishing for pity.

Top
 Profile  
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:06 pm
Posts: 3847
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:23 pm 
 

I don't know about "love," but I do think it's important to do something you can find meaningful.

That said, I do think the way society is structured and stratified makes this difficult for a lot of people. I'd agree it's a matter of privilege for a lot of people.
_________________
and we are born
from the same womb
and hewn from
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Top
 Profile  
mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 am
Posts: 1977
Location: Panopticon
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:49 pm 
 

Some of the most contented people I've met thought they weren't going to make it through a serious illness, having lots of money didn't matter to them at all, just being able to see loved ones and have simple pleasures, like watching the sun rise and set.

Top
 Profile  
Exigence
Age: 28 (Wait, what?!)

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:42 pm
Posts: 888
Location: New Orleans
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:38 am 
 

mindshadow wrote:
Some of the most contented people I've met thought they weren't going to make it through a serious illness, having lots of money didn't matter to them at all, just being able to see loved ones and have simple pleasures, like watching the sun rise and set.


When you know you're going to die....I'd imagine you stop giving a shit about a lot of things. Try to act like that when you're NOT sick and people are going to ask "What the fuck is wrong with you? Get a Job!"
_________________
"I adore war. It's like a big picnic without the objectiveness of a picnic. I've never been so well or happy."

Top
 Profile  
mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 am
Posts: 1977
Location: Panopticon
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:06 am 
 

Buddhists talk of 'living the moment' and it seems to me they try to appreciate every day as though it's their last.

We get easily bored with routine and the hum drum of daily life, until we face a calamitous event and look back and realise how well off and happy we were and realise we should've treasured the time we had with others. Because 'times' are soon gone.

Top
 Profile  
Ina_Dingir_Xul
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 8:44 am
Posts: 382
Location: Singapore
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:15 am 
 

I consider myself fortunate enough to be studying (and hence doing once I graduate) what I love. Getting to this point wasn't easy, and the path isn't easy either, but I won't take back a moment of it.

"Do what you love" can be taken directly, that is doing what you are interested in as perhaps a career, a primary source of income and that has been long touted as the most ideal situation for a person. Or, as many have mentioned before, it could be indirect, where you are doing this FOR what you love. That is, perhaps making money to fund a music project, or feed a family. I have the luck and privilege to be in the first category. Others may not.

I wouldn't consider it necessarily elitist, although anyone that regards "follow your passion" as something everyone should go for and has no right to complain if they don't is an idiot.

Top
 Profile  
awheio
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:00 am
Posts: 286
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:00 pm 
 

mindshadow wrote:
Buddhists talk of 'living the moment' and it seems to me they try to appreciate every day as though it's their last.


Well, I don't know what the lesson here is supposed to be, with respect to the topic at hand, but this seems to be a misunderstanding of Buddhism (though I am far from an expert!).

Buddhists recommend mindfulness, but I don't think appreciation is the underlying reason. The point is rather to be mindful in order to combat desires, to catch them as they arise. And in some ways, passing over desires like this requires living as if you had eternity to live!

And anyway, it seems to me that the Buddhist advice, with respect to this topic is this: Don't do what you love -- rather, stop loving occupations!

Top
 Profile  
mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 am
Posts: 1977
Location: Panopticon
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:02 pm 
 

Isn't 'do what you love and follow your passion' the advice teachers usually give to school leavers who haven't a clue which profession they should get into?

With regards to mindfulness, yes buddhism is about being mindful, But in one text from the Buddha's dhamma - The MahaMangala Sutta, he says ;

To support mother and father, to cherish wife and children, and to be engaged in peaceful occupation, this is the greatest blessing.

Did he mean for everyone to abstain from sex? He did but as I understand it he was working on understanding our world to ultimately help others (and to reach nibbana). There are three main schools, maybe you're referring to Tibetan buddhism?
I don't think it's elitist to say' do what you love', but maybe we should try to love what we do, especially if it enables us to support our family because not everyone will be fortunate enough to get their ideal job, and you need to do something while you're making your way toward this ideal .

Though I don't think there's been a harder time, post WWII, for people to follow their passion and end up in a dream job.
The Dalai Lama on a visit to the west said the richer countries were, the less smiles he saw on people's faces - says a lot really.

Top
 Profile  
Back Stabbath
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:15 am
Posts: 169
Location: Terra Nullius
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:45 am 
 

I am a strong believer in elitism. Not in the modern sense of the word (an opinion that you don't agree with such as "when someone complements your wife on her looks" and therefore is sexist) but in the old way.... knowing what you believe and standing up for it with both strength and rationale. Insulting the shit out of dickheads is also a good way to understand their feelings BTW. It's very useful during times of war, as we sadly all well know.
_________________
[quote="MutantClannfear"]were there an awards ceremony held on MA, Back Stabbath would win "User Most Likely to Use Hard Drugs While Posting" by a country mile

Top
 Profile  
Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Posts: 2157
Location: At the bottom of the lake
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:39 pm 
 


Top
 Profile  
Necessitarian
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:20 am
Posts: 149
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:01 am 
 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
me: So you're chopping sugar cane for a guy who's confiscated your passport and drinking yourself to sleep every night? Sounds fucked.
him: Actually it's not so bad. I still have my health and have plenty of money to pay for an internet connection and a cell phone on top of rent and beer, I'm just fishing for pity.

Awful logic.

Top
 Profile  
Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Posts: 2157
Location: At the bottom of the lake
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:32 pm 
 

Is it? Admittedly it's not my best work, but still ..

Top
 Profile  
Necessitarian
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:20 am
Posts: 149
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:56 pm 
 

It is. I wasn't around when it was decided that having my health in a decent condition and enough money for an internet connection was enough to balance out the fact that I'm pissing away half my waking hours on something I don't want to do. Having a job is always a more than sufficient reason to complain to your heart's content.

Top
 Profile  
Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Posts: 2157
Location: At the bottom of the lake
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:40 am 
 

You mean Titan Force misled me? FUCK!

I see your point.

Top
 Profile  
Exigence
Age: 28 (Wait, what?!)

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:42 pm
Posts: 888
Location: New Orleans
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:48 am 
 

Necessitarian wrote:
It is. I wasn't around when it was decided that having my health in a decent condition and enough money for an internet connection was enough to balance out the fact that I'm pissing away half my waking hours on something I don't want to do. Having a job is always a more than sufficient reason to complain to your heart's content.


This guy. He gets it. *toasts beer*
_________________
"I adore war. It's like a big picnic without the objectiveness of a picnic. I've never been so well or happy."

Top
 Profile  
Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Posts: 2157
Location: At the bottom of the lake
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:38 pm 
 

I see your point about my weak comparison, Necessitarian, but I disagree about the carte blanche for complaining that jobs allow.

I haven't had a particularly awesome job, and rent/decent health/internet/beer/first-world basics have been pretty much all I've got to show for it for close to a decade. Part of the reason I don't bitch about my job is because tons of people have it way fucking worse. I'd feel like a douche going on and on to my heart's content when, realistically speaking, everything's basically fine. Even though my life was super stressful and hard for years on end, and following my passion was impossible because I had no passion to follow, when it came right down to it I wasn't any worse off than most of the functionally working poor, and way better off than a shit load of people, even considering how lame, frustrating, and physically damaging my job can be. People who work hard as fuck (physical labor, mind, not just long office hours, which is a different kind of soul sucking) and still manage to keep a good attitude are a huge inspiration to me. Most people really suck at it and bring an already difficult work environment down with them because they can't stop being a pissy bummer.

Moreover, my experience is utterly average. Complaining about being the working poor to others who are working poor is pretty boring for them. I used to complain about it a lot, and I started boring myself, even. Fuckin whining when all I'm really suffering is recurring exhaustion and low budget living. Join the club, buddy. Nothing special about me or my experience. I'm not in a slum, I'm not in grave danger, I have the basics of freedom, and a bottle of wine. There's heat in my place, and a cat on my lap. Complaining about not much in the grand scheme just ends up being complaining to hear the sound of your own voice, or a fish for pity, which lots of people indulge in.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BloodSacrificeShaman, Expedience, Nochielo, Smoking_Gnu and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group