Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:09 am 

Chokers is a very apt and well-earned nickname.

Steelers didn't look the best, but they won and that's what really matters. That fake field goal was a horrible decision, and I'm surprised Mike Mitchell didn't get a couple penalties for doing the dumb shit he always does. But man, Le'Veon Bell is the real fucking deal. Goddamn.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:55 am 

For all of his inconsistencies, Derek Carr comes out every week and throws a handful of absolutely ridiculous passes. If the defense can even play like a top-20 unit, the Raiders might be legitimate superbowl contenders.

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about. This is probably the third best throw he made in this game: https://twitter.com/NFL/status/78525005 ... wsrc%5Etfw

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:04 pm 

theposega wrote:
Chokers is a very apt and well-earned nickname.

Steelers didn't look the best, but they won and that's what really matters. That fake field goal was a horrible decision, and I'm surprised Mike Mitchell didn't get a couple penalties for doing the dumb shit he always does. But man, Le'Veon Bell is the real fucking deal. Goddamn.

Man that fake field goal was the WORST. Like, not only did they completely botch the play and miss the first down, they ALSO got a stupid fucking penalty (illegal formation). So even if the play HAD been successful, it would've come back anyway.

Luckily the Jets were terrible and got creamed anyway. I'd say 31-13 is a pretty solid drubbing, especially given Fitzpatrick didn't go crazy with interceptions like he sometimes does.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:48 pm 

^ LOL I didn't notice there was also a penalty on that play. They actually found a way to fuck up fucking up a field goal.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:49 pm 

Auston Matthews scored all four goals for the Maple Leafs against Ottawa last night :o First time anyone has scored 4 in his NHL debut since Harry Hyland in the first-ever NHL game in 1917.
BUT the big story is the mighty Senators remain undefeated :D

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:16 pm 

I went to the game between the Montreal Canadiens and the Ottawa Senators last night. I was in the Sens fan section. I was surprised how quiet and conservative that section was. There were maybe half a dozen fans cheering and standing up from time to time in the entire section including me. I still had tons of fun. To be honest, the Montreal Canadiens clearly have the better fan base but the Ottawa Senators were clearly the better team yesterday. Only Al Montoya kept our opponent in the game. I'm still not happy with Craig Anderson and think he is an average goaltender. He rarely makes impressive key saves which was also the case last night. Hammond should be the starting goaltender in my book and he should have an experienced veteran as back-up goalkeeper, someone like Al Montoya for instance.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:53 pm 

The game was in Ottawa, and you say you were in "the Sens fan section"!? Crap man, I didn't think the invading fans still outnumbered us that badly :o
As for the goatlending problem, Craig Anderson has the highest playoff save percentage in the NHL since 2010. I guessthe question is whether he can play well enough, long enough, to get us into the playoffs. Maybe we need to revert to a late-90s solution - when Ron Tugnutt carried the season, then flubbed it in favour of Damian Rhodes.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:56 pm 

BVB!! BVBBVBBVB!!!!!!

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

kluseba

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:38 pm 

There were more Montreal Canadiens than Ottawa Senators fans in the building for sure. It's also the case when the Toronto Maple Leafs are coming to town. I thought that at least in the Sens section, people would cheer, stand up, wave flags and similar things but aside of a handful of positive exceptions including myself, the fans supporting the home team were really quiet despite a great effort from both sides. This is no comparison to the loud crowd during the Redblacks games or even to the ultra section when Ottawa Fury FC is playing and that's a shame.

Yesterday, I went to the game against the Coyotes. The Coyotes are my second favorite team of the league, so it was definitely a highlight for me. Guess what the attendance was last night? 11,061. That's very disappointing. There would have been a bigger crowd if this game had been played in Glendale and many people, particularly Canadian hockey fans, keep making fun of low attendance stats in the southern parts of the United States. Such a number reminds me indeed of attendance stats from Raleigh or Sunrise. Now you could say that the Arizona Coyotes aren't the most popular team in the league but last year, 17,270 people went to the same game. Maybe the fact that last year's game took place on a Saturday and this year's game on a Tuesday might be considered a factor, but definitely not a factor to justify a difference of far over 6000 people in the crowd, especially when it's only the third home game of the season.

People should support local hockey more if they want to keep it. The league will notice those decreasing numbers. With the Canadian economy being on a negative streak on one side and other Canadian markets such as Quebec City desperately wanting a NHL team on the other side, nothing shall be taken for granted!

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:45 pm 

Went yesterday to Sporting's stadium here in Lisbon to see the Sporting vs BVB Champions League match. A very strange experience, since I actually support BOTH teams - Sporting has always been my favourite portuguese team while BVB is my favourite foreign team. So whoever won, I'd be happy. The final result was fair - Sporting's defense sucked. And I managed to pick up three BVB scarves, as I collect them (I now have 94 in total :)).

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:31 pm 

kluseba wrote:
People should support local hockey more if they want to keep it. The league will notice those decreasing numbers. With the Canadian economy being on a negative streak on one side and other Canadian markets such as Quebec City desperately wanting a NHL team on the other side, nothing shall be taken for granted!

I'd love for Quebec City to get an NHL team... Just not the Senators! Hey, one game is a blip in overall attendance anyway. Who could stay away, when the average Sens game so far features over 8 goals scored?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:53 pm 

From last weekend's game (which we won for a change):

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:56 pm 

Steelers looked better than I thought they would against the Patriots. Landry Jones was actually pretty good outside that interception. Too many goddamn penalties, though. Also Le'Veon Bell.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:30 pm 

I was quite impressed with Landry Jones. Game could have been very different without a few inexplicable dropped passes by the Steelers.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:41 pm 

Two games left, and there is a very strong chance that a sub-.500 team will finish first and earn a bye to the CFL's East Division Final. :lol: How can you not love this league?

Update: We did it :D All hail the 8-9-1 Ottawa Redblacks, floating to the top of the East like algae on a pond.

Last edited by severzhavnost on Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:17 pm 

How many teams are in the CFL? I don't think there are more than a dozen at most. That may be the issue; there are so few teams, and they play each other so much, that it can work out that way where a team with a 500 record (or less) can still qualify for the post season. I like the CFL though, it's a bit different from an NFL fan's perspective- the plays are more interesting and more complex for one thing. They just need to add more teams.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:30 pm 

Nine teams. Five in the West, four in the East. The East division is typically weaker, but as far as I recall there's always been one team that rose above the mediocrity of the other three. Not this year! They talk about adding a Quebec or Maritime team (often Moncton is named) to get balanced divisions, but nothing's happened yet. And yes the creativity of plays is higher in Canada. Allowing everyone in the backfield to move around prior to the snap really livens things up; and the shorter play clock gives the game an almost improvised feel.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:10 pm 

Schweini is training with Man U again.

kluseba

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:24 am 

Schweinsteiger > Mourinho

'nuff said

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:31 am 

I'm not even a Cubs fan, but if they don't win there's something wrong with the world. And if they do win I guarrantee it will be made into a full length feature film.

Obey the dolphin!

ratedgdr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:15 am 

The Cubs won.

And I am about to be sick. I utterly despise the Cubs.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:29 am 

Tonight was fucking incredible. I live 1 mile west of Chicago so I might be a false, but goddamn that was an amazing game.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:20 am 

That game was absolutely incredible. Best game of baseball I've seen played in many, many years.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:02 pm 

Man I went to sleep after that rain delay since it was already late (and I had gotten up for work at 5AM) but now I'm regretting it a bit. I had no horse in this race, but I really don't like the Indians or Cleveland (as a city), so I was rooting for the Cubs to win. Glad to see them finally break their losing streak. I really can't believe they came back from a 3-1 deficit going into game 7, that's just incredible.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:05 pm 

Extremely poetic considering how the Cavs came back to beat Golden State from a 3-1 deficit. I lold.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:15 pm 

Hahaha yeah, Cleveland doesn't get to feel TOO bad about this.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:17 pm 

Would have been crazy if they won though. 3 back to back championships for their city in 3 different sports after one of the longest droughts in any city's history for not having any. The other one is UFC heavyweight division, Stipe Miocic from Cleveland just won that title and also defended it from his first challenger this year.

Last edited by rexxz on Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:36 pm 

I wake up at 4:30 am for work and work ten hour shifts, so I'm exhausted every night. Yesterday I actually dozed off at work for a bit so I told myself I'd go to bed early if the game got away from either team. I stayed up watching live updates until Chapman blew the three run lead in the 8th. I said "I can't bear to watch them blow it like this, I'm going to bed and hoping it's all okay in the morning." Thankfully it was, it a really exciting time.

I'm a fake fan because I've only cared about baseball three times in my life, but SO MANY of my friends and family have been waiting their entire lives for this, it's just such a cool thing to experience. So much widespread joy all throughout the city, it's incredible.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:39 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Would have been crazy if they won though. 3 back to back championships for their city in 3 different sports after one of the longest droughts in any city's history for not having any. The other one is UFC heavyweight division, Stipe Miocic from Cleveland just won that title and also defended it from his first challenger this year.

Well who knows, the Browns may still win a championship for Cleveland!!!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:40 pm 

lmao if the Browns even make it to the divisional champs I'll quit football for life.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:00 pm 

Yeah, in the absence of other recent championships for the city, I might feel
sorry for Cleveland. But then, I'm also a vengeful Canadian Blue Jays supporter, so feck em!

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:31 pm 

Crazy game, Dallas/Pittsburgh. Seven, eight lead changes?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:45 pm 

theposega pointed out on Facebook that the Steelers are now 0-4 since Trump stopped in Pittsburgh on a campaign stop and waved the Terrible Towel.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:06 pm 

Hmmm... Then there was that feud Trump had against the owners of the Chicago Cubs, and we all know how their season turned out :) I just hope Donald Trump hates the Raiders too!

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:47 pm 

It's finally a good time to be a Raiders fan again! I'm confident they'll stomp the Texans this week.

Turd Blaster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:51 pm 

As a Chargers fan, your success makes me depressed. As a fan of parity, I reeeeally want someone to knock the Broncos off the top of the west. Hoping it's the Chiefs, though. I think they could actually beat the Pats in the conference championships.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:12 am 

I dunno, they're winning games, but they've been shaky. These haven't been confidant, dominant wins. Smith has been off his game compared to the last couple seasons.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:19 pm 

I'm gonna come right out and say it now: the Ottawa Senators are for real! Scored two or less goals in 9 of the last 10 games; yet our record in that stretch is 6-3-1. That's playoff ready!

ratedgdr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:46 pm 

Green Bay is making me very, very sad.

Thankfully I can bask in Conor McGregor making history last week.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:47 pm 

Conor is the truth. Been watching him since his Cage Warriors days.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115 ... 136  Next