* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
immortalshadow666
Transilvanian sandwich, mould! MOULD!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:44 am 

Wretchedspirit wrote:
immortalshadow666 wrote:
Not much, but I'm forced to do tipping (I get a Sri Lankan cricket buff in my class to help me with it :P) but I know who the teams are and are vaguely interested in the results. It's already one hell of a competition considering it's young age, I have to give it that, insane worldwide following and all.

I live close to the Newlands Cricket Ground, in Cape Town, and the atmosphere when games were played here was a really enjoyable one.

The cricket itself was good too :)

Cool! Why did they choose South Africa of all places, to hold the tournament instead of say, England?

Metal_25
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:29 am 

Well, the Celtics had pretty bad game last night, their defense sucked, and they went for some bad shots, but sometimes the refs cheated and called stupid fouls. :annoyed:

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:31 am 

immortalshadow666 wrote:
Wretchedspirit wrote:
immortalshadow666 wrote:
Not much, but I'm forced to do tipping (I get a Sri Lankan cricket buff in my class to help me with it :P) but I know who the teams are and are vaguely interested in the results. It's already one hell of a competition considering it's young age, I have to give it that, insane worldwide following and all.

I live close to the Newlands Cricket Ground, in Cape Town, and the atmosphere when games were played here was a really enjoyable one.

The cricket itself was good too :)

Cool! Why did they choose South Africa of all places, to hold the tournament instead of say, England?

Probably as simple as SA asked for it, and they were best prepared to host it at short notice.

Wretchedspirit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:37 pm 

immortalshadow666 wrote:

Well South Africa is, seemingly, always prepared for a cricketing tournament (having hosted the 2003 50-over and the 2007 20-over World Cups). The only other option was England and there would have been several problems with it being held there, weather- of course but also the fact that there is not just one cricket broadcaster (like here) but a few and they would've clashed about the rights to show the tournament.

Also, there is quite a high number of Indians here... more so than in England. Durban, a large city along the east coast of SA, is quite literally, an India away from India.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:31 am 

Kansas City is doing very well so far this season but I hate to say that they will probably cool down and fade. Zack Greinke took his first loss but I think he will continue to be awesome and be a Cy Young shoo-in. I am hearing rumors that if the Royals are too out of it by July, Toronto might trade for him if indeed they are in it fighting off the Yankees and Red Sox.

immortalshadow666

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:41 am 

Wretchedspirit wrote:
immortalshadow666 wrote:

Well South Africa is, seemingly, always prepared for a cricketing tournament (having hosted the 2003 50-over and the 2007 20-over World Cups). The only other option was England and there would have been several problems with it being held there, weather- of course but also the fact that there is not just one cricket broadcaster (like here) but a few and they would've clashed about the rights to show the tournament.

Also, there is quite a high number of Indians here... more so than in England. Durban, a large city along the east coast of SA, is quite literally, an India away from India.

Wow, I never in a million years would have thought of South Africa as having more Indians than England. Shows how much I know. Thanks for clearing that up :D

Another big win to the mighty Geelong Football Club. It would have been up around the 80 points mark again probably, if we hadn't had that shocking first quarter. Geelong and Saints are clearly setting themselves as head and shoulders above the competition, I can't wait for that game. It's quite soon I think as well.

Was quite surprised to see Port and Carlton get knocked off as well last night, though pleasantly surprised as both of those work in the Cats' favour.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:48 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Kansas City is doing very well so far this season but I hate to say that they will probably cool down and fade. Zack Greinke took his first loss but I think he will continue to be awesome and be a Cy Young shoo-in. I am hearing rumors that if the Royals are too out of it by July, Toronto might trade for him if indeed they are in it fighting off the Yankees and Red Sox.

Well the Royals are SUPPOSEDLY not trading all of our good players away any more, and trying to build for the future and maybe a playoff run at some point. Whether we keep Grienke will be a good indicator of how genuine this "new Royals regime" is. I am willing to bet that he's gone before next year. Stupid Royals.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:51 pm 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

Well the Royals are SUPPOSEDLY not trading all of our good players away any more, and trying to build for the future and maybe a playoff run at some point. Whether we keep Grienke will be a good indicator of how genuine this "new Royals regime" is. I am willing to bet that he's gone before next year. Stupid Royals.

I feel sorry for Royals fans. They used to be a top flight franchise in the 80's with George Brett and Brett Saberhagen. David Glass is one of those cheapskate, cry poverty owners.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:48 pm 

Fuck yeah Boston sports. Bruins raped, Celts won on a buzzer beater, and Paps blew away the final three batters for a great Sox win. What a night.

Sea_Hag
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:10 am 

I feel that this needs to be said: Fuck The Detroit Red Wings. The Red Wings do not deserve to win another Stanley Cup.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:12 am 

Sea_Hag wrote:
I feel that this needs to be said: Fuck The Detroit Red Wings. The Red Wings do not deserve to win another Stanley Cup.

I knew it. The Red Wings are the Yankees of the NHL.

I also felt that way when Pittsburgh beat my Cards in the Super Bowl.

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:45 am 

Wretchedspirit wrote:
immortalshadow666 wrote:

I m not sure if u r right.. Cos the newspapers here said that one of the main reasons for considering England was that they had more Indians than SA..

Wretchedspirit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:14 pm 

ScourgeOfDeath wrote:
I m not sure if u r right.. Cos the newspapers here said that one of the main reasons for considering England was that they had more Indians than SA..

Perhaps so, but the Apartheid regime bred such hatred amongst the Indians that they grew into frenzied Indian fans. So much so, that when India plays in certain places (15 years from the end of Apartheid), they support the Indians instead of the South Africans.

Where as, in England, many of the Indians have become Europeanised and indifferent to India's plight. It is for that reason that, even though England may have more Indians, more Indians will be at the games held in South Africa.

Last edited by Wretchedspirit on Mon May 11, 2009 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:28 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
I knew it. The Red Wings are the Yankees of the NHL.

How? The Wings aren't the most expensive, under-achieving team in their sport.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:09 pm 

I dont see any NBA chatter going on so I dont know how many of you guys give a shit about the playoffs or not but last night the Boston Celtics won a thrilling game in Orlando thanks to a last second shot by Glenn 'big baby' Davis. Simply put, one of the greatest plays ever for a couple reasons. One, simply put, the guy hit a clutch shot at the buzzer and hes only been in the league a couple years. Secondly, he pushes a small child while running down the court screaming YOU MOTHERFUCKERSSSSS. Words cannot describe how awesome and hilarious this was. I was yelling at the tv when it happened, excited as fuck.

If we were allowed to have images in our sig, this would sooo be there right now. Replay never gets old.

Metal_25
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:37 pm 

MazeofTorment wrote:
I dont see any NBA chatter going on so I dont know how many of you guys give a shit about the playoffs or not but last night the Boston Celtics won a thrilling game in Orlando thanks to a last second shot by Glenn 'big baby' Davis. Simply put, one of the greatest plays ever for a couple reasons. One, simply put, the guy hit a clutch shot at the buzzer and hes only been in the league a couple years. Secondly, he pushes a small child while running down the court screaming YOU MOTHERFUCKERSSSSS. Words cannot describe how awesome and hilarious this was. I was yelling at the tv when it happened, excited as fuck.

If we were allowed to have images in our sig, this would sooo be there right now. Replay never gets old.

Yeah, that was an awesome game last night.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:29 am 

Will heavyweight boxing ever return itself to glory?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:49 am 

The Caps better win Wednesday. I'm really crossing my fingers for the Caps getting their first cup this year.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:43 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Will heavyweight boxing ever return itself to glory?

It will after the MMA fad dies down. I hate wrestling so i tend to like heavyweight boxing better than heavywieght wrestling in th UFC. The sport needs another guy like Mike Tyson to return to glory though, somebody really sensational. I'm gonna start training right now.

Metal_25
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:27 pm 

What a great win for the Celtics last night.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:40 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
The Caps better win Wednesday. I'm really crossing my fingers for the Caps getting their first cup this year.

Well fuck. I jinxed it. Oh well, there's always next year!

Sea_Hag
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:34 am 

Anaheim Ducks vs. Detroit Red Wings. That fight between Niedermayer and Datsyuk. The Red Wings need to be eliminated. If they win the Stanley Cup, I will be truly pissed.

:annoyed:

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:31 am 

I'm not sure about anybody else, but I'm getting tired of hearing about this Matthew John's saga in the NRL. All the newspapers and news websites have that as the main story. It's really overshadowing what could be a blockbuster couple of games tonight.

It's times like this, though, that I wonder why I follow the NRL at all, with all the bullshit the players get up to, and the general controversy surrounding the game constantly....

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

immortalshadow666

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:03 am 

MikeyC wrote:
I'm not sure about anybody else, but I'm getting tired of hearing about this Matthew John's saga in the NRL. All the newspapers and news websites have that as the main story. It's really overshadowing what could be a blockbuster couple of games tonight.

It's times like this, though, that I wonder why I follow the NRL at all, with all the bullshit the players get up to, and the general controversy surrounding the game constantly....

Couldn't agree more. It's time the NRL took a stand. Ban the club from playing for a year when shit like this happens... the players will quickly toe the line. (Obviously that won't work now since it happened a few years ago, but it's still something to keep in mind).

There hasn't been that much in the AFL since the Ben Cousins drug saga that I can recall, bar the odd player getting a drink driving charge, but NRL players seem to be getting in trouble every WEEK, and you're right, it is overshadowing the game. Sponsor loss is inevitable if the charades keep up, and the whole thing is making me want to go to Cats games more than Storm, as the negative press is pissing me off.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:34 am 

I just want the Magic-Celtics series to end so we can hurry up and watch the Cavs play again. I think that club is destined to steam though to a title this year. The Celtics won't be as easy as the Hawks and Detroit despite the absence of KG.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:52 am 

immortalshadow666 wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Couldn't agree more. It's time the NRL took a stand. Ban the club from playing for a year when shit like this happens... the players will quickly toe the line. (Obviously that won't work now since it happened a few years ago, but it's still something to keep in mind).

There hasn't been that much in the AFL since the Ben Cousins drug saga that I can recall, bar the odd player getting a drink driving charge, but NRL players seem to be getting in trouble every WEEK, and you're right, it is overshadowing the game. Sponsor loss is inevitable if the charades keep up, and the whole thing is making me want to go to Cats games more than Storm, as the negative press is pissing me off.

Oh, I absolutely agree, particularly about the sponsorship. Telstra may decide to pull out if the indiscretions continue. I mean, sure, this incident happened 7 years ago, but the point is that it's just one more to add to the shit pile. I'll always love the game, but the off-field dramas are ruining it.

Having said that, the majority of the players are positive role models, and it's just a small percentage that are bringing the game into disrepute.

And, quite fittingly, the Dragons defeat the Bulldogs 20-18, after the 'Dogs should've won, if not for a ridiculous obstruction rule. 79 minutes of quality, engrossing football marred by one crappy decision. I support the Dragons week after week, but seriously, the Bulldogs should be fuming. They deserved to win.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Crywah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:14 am 

MikeyC wrote:
immortalshadow666 wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Oh, I absolutely agree, particularly about the sponsorship. Telstra may decide to pull out if the indiscretions continue. I mean, sure, this incident happened 7 years ago, but the point is that it's just one more to add to the shit pile. I'll always love the game, but the off-field dramas are ruining it.

Having said that, the majority of the players are positive role models, and it's just a small percentage that are bringing the game into disrepute.

And, quite fittingly, the Dragons defeat the Bulldogs 20-18, after the 'Dogs should've won, if not for a ridiculous obstruction rule. 79 minutes of quality, engrossing football marred by one crappy decision. I support the Dragons week after week, but seriously, the Bulldogs should be fuming. They deserved to win.

That decision was terrible. I couldn't believe it when i saw it. I'm not even a Bulldogs fan.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:17 am 

Houston won! Excellento, hopefully they can pull it off again in LA and knock the Lakers out.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:20 am 

Bezerko wrote:
Houston won! Excellento, hopefully they can pull it off again in LA and knock the Lakers out.

I hate the Lakers but I would rather see a Nuggets-Lakers matchup than a Rockets-Nuggets one just for entertainment value until the Cavs can beat one of them up. I would not bet on Houston going into Staples Center to upset LA in a game 7.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:32 am 

Nor would I, it's a slim chance, but like you I hate the Lakers and am quite fond of the Rockets, so go Houston. :)

The introduction of the NBA onto free to air in Australia: EXCELLENT.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:40 am 

It's too bad the Suns missed their window a couple seasons back when they had that super charged run 'n gun offense going with Steve Nash and Joe Johnson and co. I miss that so much. I have hated the Spurs even more than before after that.

UtUmNo1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:58 am 

MikeyC wrote:

I actually don't follow the league myself being a union fan but honestly, I think it's a bit of a beat up.

No crime was committed, the girl involved, by the new statements of her workmates, was a willing and quite proud participant.

I think it is grossly unfair for an employer (the NRL) to dictate the sexual practices they find to be acceptable. Matthew Johns has been made a scapegoat and I find the media, in particular that silly old leso slut Tracey Grimshaw, to be pretty much guilty of defamation.

I'm not saying I agree with what occurred but consenting adults have to realise the outcomes of their actions.

I wait for the day when nine hot females enter my bedroom and have their way with me.... chances are in won't be in mainstream media.... maybe Picture mag....

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:27 pm 

Crywah wrote:
That decision was terrible. I couldn't believe it when i saw it. I'm not even a Bulldogs fan.

I'm a Dragons fan, and even I admit that was a certain try. Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore said it was a definite try, Dragons coach Wayne Bennett said it was a 50-50 call, and even referee's boss Robert Finch said it was a try! Man, what a disgraceful finish to an otherwise great match.

UtUmNo1: I agree with you, but the point is that it happened, and the NRL have to deal with yet another sexual indiscretion. I'm sick of seeing it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:15 am 

Well, if you want some reassurance as to just how controversial that no-try decision was, it dominated the news bulletin ahead of swine flu!

ZarathustraHead wrote:

immortalshadow666

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:28 am 

I only just saw it on Youtube then, but that was about the least obstructed try in history. I'd be spewing if I was a Dogs fan as well.

I AM spewing about Manchester United however... 0-0 draw with Arsenal, but they've now taken the title, we simply can't get enough points from our games anymore.

Oooooops, I should be watching our game against West Brom.

Ah well. Next year it's ours :D

Wretchedspirit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:05 pm 

immortalshadow666 wrote:

Yeah... right :lol:

Watch out for Spurs though, not for the title but we'll be right up there. With Harry in charge, I am sure of it.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:18 pm 

immortalshadow666 wrote:
I only just saw it on Youtube then, but that was about the least obstructed try in history. I'd be spewing if I was a Dogs fan as well.

For those that didn't see it, it's on YouTube.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:16 pm 

Wretchedspirit wrote:
immortalshadow666 wrote:

Watch out for Spurs though, not for the title but we'll be right up there. With Harry in charge, I am sure of it.

You laugh at him for saying that but then come out with a REALLY ludicrous comment.

immortalshadow666

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:12 am 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
Wretchedspirit wrote:
immortalshadow666 wrote:

You laugh at him for saying that but then come out with a REALLY ludicrous comment.

Of course Spurs will be right up there.

On top of the 2010-11 Football League Championship.

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:15 am 

UK has officially won the 2010 NCAA Basketball Tourney.

We already had the #1 ranked recruiting class and John Wall has now committed. He is projected to be the top NBA draft pick after next season.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 136  Next