Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:14 am 

Luvers wrote:
the NFL Championship got rebranded to Superbowl (it was actually 1970 that happened)

No. The NFL-AFL World Championship got rebranded as the Super Bowl. The NFL Championship was last held in 1970, and was rebranded as the NFC Championship the following year.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:36 pm 

pyratebastard wrote:
Luvers wrote:
the NFL Championship got rebranded to Superbowl (it was actually 1970 that happened)

No. The NFL-AFL World Championship got rebranded as the Super Bowl. The NFL Championship was last held in 1970, and was rebranded as the NFC Championship the following year.
Really? Acting like the NFL Championship is now just the NFC Championship game is just foolish. Not only is that factually incorrect but there is no honest way of getting there. You pulled that sentence straight out of whole cloth.

The NFL Championship Game(1933-1966) BECAME the AFL-NFL World Championship(1967-1969) and then BECAME the Superbowl(1970-present). So....

NFL Championship = Superbowl = Final Game to determine NFL Championship.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:09 pm 

Luvers wrote:
pyratebastard wrote:
Luvers wrote:

Really? Acting like the NFL Championship is now just the NFC Championship game is just foolish. Not only is that factually incorrect but there is no honest way of getting there. You pulled that sentence straight out of whole cloth.

The NFL Championship Game(1933-1966) BECAME the AFL-NFL World Championship(1967-1969) and then BECAME the Superbowl(1970-present). So....

NFL Championship = Superbowl = Final Game to determine NFL Championship.

Interesting. I guess I should probably go let the Green Bay Packers, Baltimore Colts, and Minnesota Vikings know that they did not win the NFL Championship games for the 1967, 1968, and 1969 seasons, respectively.

They skipped that game entirely, because *you* say that the NFL Championship became the NFL-AFL World Championship. I wonder how the NFL determined which team they would send to that NFL-AFL Championship?

I guess we will never know.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:06 pm 

Stupid argument anyway.

People typically talk about the Super Bowl era as being from 1967 to the present, but don't really get to particular about it.
There were far, far fewer teams in the 40s and 50s, though, as compared to now. Typically, in the 50s, you only had about 12-14 teams in the league; it fluctuated because the Colts took a couple years (and one re-start after a bankruptcy) to really get going as a franchise.

Interestingly, the two most dominant NFL teams of the 50s were the Lions and the Browns, who won three championships apiece and routinely competed against each other in the title game. Sadly, Neither team has won a championship, or even played in a championship game, during the 50+ year the Super Bowl era. The Rams won only one title during the 50s, but were right up there near the top for most of that decade.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:42 am 

A healthy Verlander with a wide strike zone is pretty much an unhittable demigod. Last night was a stark reminder of that.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:23 pm 

This BOS-BKN series is really going to be something.

Crazy first game, totally electric atmosphere, super aggressive defense and Kyrie as a man on a mission; still not enough apparently, chalk that up to a brilliant last defensive possession by Boston. I had the impression that Tatum kinda disappeared once Brooklyn got in front, but at the buzzer is when it counts the most :-D He had a great game for sure. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:32 pm 

Mariners are leading the AL in run differential. Is this real life?

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:37 pm 

Red_Death wrote:
This BOS-BKN series is really going to be something.

Crazy first game, totally electric atmosphere, super aggressive defense and Kyrie as a man on a mission; still not enough apparently, chalk that up to a brilliant last defensive possession by Boston. I had the impression that Tatum kinda disappeared once Brooklyn got in front, but at the buzzer is when it counts the most :-D He had a great game for sure. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Well, that was definitely a turd of a series.

I'm not gonna act like I'm sad to see Kyrie Irving lose, though.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:58 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:

Welp, the series wasn't as interesting as I was led to believe, still a fine watch, especially from the Boston defense side of things. Not complaining about both KD and Kyrie being swept either :-D

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:11 pm 

Red_Death wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

Welp, the series wasn't as interesting as I was led to believe, still a fine watch, especially from the Boston defense side of things. Not complaining about both KD and Kyrie being swept either :-D

That was an excellent series! If you're a Celtics fan like me! Nice to see KD and Cry-rie get swept, but more so for Cry-rie. If you hated him before this series started, you'll hate him even more now as he seemingly is oblivious to feeling accountable for his team's shortcomings. Now he's saying that "he and KD will manage the team with the owner and GM" as if he's part of management. I'd like to see how the Nets management proceed from this debacle and whether they will pay this entitled asshole the max contract that was expected he will get when he opts in this off-season.

Another headache that Nets management need to address is with this coward of a player named Ben Simmons who initially said he would play in game 4 and ended up not playing saying he has a sore back. He wouldn't have helped much anyway as he hasn't played in almost a year and I doubt if he grew the skills to hit a 3-pointer during that time, much less make a free throw.

As for the Celtics, I'm looking forward to their 2nd round match up with the Bucks. I have more respect for them being the defending champs and a team that was organically constructed and not a 'super team', much like the Celtics. But the way the Celtics are playing, I'd say Boston in 6 for this series.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 11:14 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:

This aged so poorly. Damn it, Mariners.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 11:56 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Trashy_Rambo wrote:

This aged so poorly. Damn it, Mariners.

The Tigers SUCK.

This will not age poorly.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 5:49 pm 

The Yankees finally look like the Yankees again for the first time in decades.

This will probably NOT age well AT ALL.

JCP524
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:55 pm 

Predictions NBA:

Celtics in 6 over Heat

Warriors in 4 over Mavs

Celtics in 7 over Warriors

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:45 pm 

JCP524 wrote:
Predictions NBA:

Celtics in 6 over Heat

Warriors in 4 over Mavs

Celtics in 7 over Warriors

Go Celtics!

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 10:22 pm 

Go Warriors!

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:48 pm 

The Seattle Mariners, who were at least expected to *push* for the playoffs this year, have fallen past the OPENLY TANKING A's in the standings. What the hell happened?

At least Julio Rodriguez is amazing.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:00 am 

I keep pinching myself about how well the Padres have been generally doing lately. Bob Melvin has really made a difference!

Only_Perception wrote:

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:14 pm 

Australia advances to the World Cup! After a nerve-wracking 0-0 draw against Peru after extra time, it came down to penalties. Australia missed their first one and I thought that was it, but we got there in sudden death. Condolences to any Peruvians here that watched that game - you guys definitely had the best chance of the entire game in extra time, with a shot that hit the post. Stoked for our team, though, and looking forward to them getting beaten pretty quickly in Qatar! :P

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:01 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Australia advances to the World Cup! After a nerve-wracking 0-0 draw against Peru after extra time, it came down to penalties. Australia missed their first one and I thought that was it, but we got there in sudden death. Condolences to any Peruvians here that watched that game - you guys definitely had the best chance of the entire game in extra time, with a shot that hit the post. Stoked for our team, though, and looking forward to them getting beaten pretty quickly in Qatar! :P

Thanks Mikey, but to be honest you guys deserved more. These last two games we weren't playing at a good level, specially today. That's not enought for a world cup, hopefully this will teach us, specially media and public, to no overestimate our Rivals. Sadly we may lose our DT... In the other hand, you guys played well, neutralized our players, broke our lines and played more wisely. Congrats man!

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:25 am 

gomorro wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Thanks Mikey, but to be honest you guys deserved more. These last two games we weren't playing at a good level, specially today. That's not enought for a world cup, hopefully this will teach us, specially media and public, to no overestimate our Rivals. Sadly we may lose our DT... In the other hand, you guys played well, neutralized our players, broke our lines and played more wisely. Congrats man!

Thanks, mate, but I definitely thought Peru had the better opportunities. Still, though, we'll take it! :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:30 am 

That subbed in keeper for the 'roos. He ended up getting lucky and making one save but sheese his dancing like a clown before each PK was just pathetic.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:54 am 

oldmetalhead wrote:
That subbed in keeper for the 'roos. He ended up getting lucky and making one save but sheese his dancing like a clown before each PK was just pathetic.

Agreed. He got lucky and his dancing was dumb, and it'll get us in strife once the world cup starts. However, because it worked today, he's hailed a hero. That won't last.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:48 pm 

Well, that was a fun Game 6. It looked like the Warriors were going to run away with it at one point but Boston kinda hung around, playing pretty good defense, and it wasn't the crispest shooting night by either team. I was actually picking the Warriors winning in game 7- but they clearly showed up to play tonight.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:19 pm 

The Angels decided to use an opener at the last minute so that he could throw at Mariners players and get ejected. Just unbelievably scummy.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:42 am 

I watched the Colorado Avalanche win the Stanley Cup on the weekend.

However, I was very sad that Gary Bettman was not at Amalie Arena. I very much wanted to see Gary Bettman get booed.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:35 am 

jimbies wrote:

:o

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:51 pm 

Julio Rodriguez has 15 home runs and 20 stolen bases in half a season. My lord. He's an absolute superstar already.

https://mlb-cuts-diamond.mlb.com/FORGE/ ... _4000K.mp4

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:34 am 

Julio Rodriguez for Joey Gallo, straight up! who says no!?

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:22 pm 

14 wins in a row, and 22 of the last 25. Holy shit, Mariners!

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:02 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Julio Rodriguez has 15 home runs and 20 stolen bases in half a season. My lord. He's an absolute superstar already.

https://mlb-cuts-diamond.mlb.com/FORGE/ ... _4000K.mp4

Man, do I ever love dingers.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:21 pm 

Tbh, I'm loving the Lakers-Bron-Westbrook drama (including them both on account of Jeanie Buss not being exactly clear in that "I miss Kobe" tweet). I don't know why I dislike that franchise so much, I just do.

Schoobs
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:36 pm 

I'm new to the site but been a visitor for a long time. Love my sports as much as my metal so this is sick!

How about the Calgary Flames? Man it's really rough being a resident and fan of the team currently. I don't blame Johnny for leaving, that's his choice however I am definatley sour about the way he handled his departure. I'm pretty positive he knew for a long time he wasn't going to resign with the team but he played it off as if he would. Consequentially, the team will now lose Tkachuck as well. I just wish Johnny could have done the Flames a solid and not dragged it on for so long. Anyone have any takes, opinions or just NHL chat in general?

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:34 pm 

Julio Rodriguez is a beast! I watched him hit one of those dingers in San Diego against the Padres on July 4th. It was definitely Cuatro de Julio!

I was up in Everett WA for work for the last two weeks, and watched an AquaSox game, where he was playing last year. It's also where Ken Griffey Jr. hit his first professional home run. That was pretty cool!

Only_Perception wrote:

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:55 am 

I repeat:
jimbies wrote:
Julio Rodriguez for Joey Gallo, straight up! who says no!?

Or:
Juan Soto for Joey Gallo, straight up! who says no?!

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:03 pm 

Schoobs wrote:
I'm new to the site but been a visitor for a long time. Love my sports as much as my metal so this is sick!

How about the Calgary Flames? Man it's really rough being a resident and fan of the team currently. I don't blame Johnny for leaving, that's his choice however I am definatley sour about the way he handled his departure. I'm pretty positive he knew for a long time he wasn't going to resign with the team but he played it off as if he would. Consequentially, the team will now lose Tkachuck as well. I just wish Johnny could have done the Flames a solid and not dragged it on for so long. Anyone have any takes, opinions or just NHL chat in general?

I don't really understand how Calgary put this miraculous season together and now the players are all bailing on them.

JCP524
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:23 pm 

My world cup predictions:

Group A
Senegal
Ecuador
Netherlands
Qatar

Group B
USA
England
Wales
Iran

Group C
Mexico
Argentina
Poland
Saudi Arabia

Group D
France
Tunisia
Denmark
Australia

Group E
Germany
Costa Rica
Spain
Japan

Group F
Belgium
Canada
Croatia
Morocco

Group G
Brazil
Cameroon
Serbia
Switzerland

Group H
Ghana
Portugal
Uruguay
South Korea

First Knockout Round
England d. Senegal
Mexico d. Tunisia
Germany d. Canada
Brazil d. Portugal
USA d. Ecuador
France d. Argentina
Belgium d. Costa Rica
Cameroon d. Ghana

Quarterfinals
England d. Mexico
Brazil d. Germany
France d. USA
Cameroon d. Belgium

Semifinals
Brazil d. England
France d. Cameroon

Third Place
England d. Cameroon

Championship
Brazil d. France

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:13 pm 

I do not know how many got notice but Sebastian Vettel, one of the best F1 drivers of all time, recently announced his retirement.

He is my favorite driver since his first win in 2008 in Italy. He won with an Italian team in the Italian Grand Prix!

I have followed him through absolute highs and lows and we all know that the sport will never be the same without him.

He was always too mature for his age, even when he did some dumb stuff like the incident with Webber in Turkey He is a voice of reason and serious conscience within the paddock and it is no wonder that everybody, even his biggest rivals have the outmost respect for him.

With Vettel the era of V8 engines is seriously over. He is one of the three active drivers to have raced in historic tracks like Magny Cours, Fuji and Indianapolis.

A legend of the sport. Danke Seb. Du bist weltmeister.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:07 pm 

PETERG wrote:
I do not know how many got notice but Sebastian Vettel, one of the best F1 drivers of all time, recently announced his retirement.

He is my favorite driver since his first win in 2008 in Italy. He won with an Italian team in the Italian Grand Prix!

I have followed him through absolute highs and lows and we all know that the sport will never be the same without him.

He was always too mature for his age, even when he did some dumb stuff like the incident with Webber in Turkey He is a voice of reason and serious conscience within the paddock and it is no wonder that everybody, even his biggest rivals have the outmost respect for him.

With Vettel the era of V8 engines is seriously over. He is one of the three active drivers to have raced in historic tracks like Magny Cours, Fuji and Indianapolis.

A legend of the sport. Danke Seb. Du bist weltmeister.

YES! This is kind of sad to see a legend of the sport retire, and is most definitely a blow to Aston Martin, losing someone with that amount of experience. Hopefully his time there helped give the team some advice and guidance with their cars, but it looks to me like Aston Martin still has a way to go in terms of straight up competitiveness.

It will be interesting to see who fills his seat when he goes at the end of this season (Alonso maybe?)...

Can honestly say I was never really a big fan of Vettel, nothing against him obviously, just not the driver I followed, but four time world champion says it all really, along with his poles and wins. Huge respect to him and his achievements.

It is a loss for Formula 1 as a whole, a big presence will be absent in the paddock.

My collection

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:19 am 

jimbies wrote:
jimbies wrote:

:o

Ah. There it is.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136  Next