Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:42 pm 

I don't follow the EPL, but I see the stats and Leicester seem to have one hell of a crazy striker. He's leading the list by like a five goal margin atm?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:55 pm 

droneriot wrote:
I don't follow the EPL, but I see the stats and Leicester seem to have one hell of a crazy striker. He's leading the list by like a five goal margin atm?

Swansea isn't English! :-P

It seems like he's having a Harry Kane type of year. Vardy was decent last year(5g, 10a I think), but he was also stuck behind Ulloa, who was playing quite well. So, it's quite difficult to tell if he's a fantastic striker or he's just having a great season.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:56 pm 

Yeah, Vardy he's scored in 10 games in a row which I think is a league record. I don't support them but they were only promoted last year so it's great to see them at the top and fake, moneyed-up Chelsea down in the bottom third.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:47 pm 

So, Cotto/Canelo tonight! Who's your pick to win it?
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:53 pm 

Speaking of punch-in-the-face contests, did anyone catch WSOF 25 last night? Brian Foster lost early in the tournament, got back in due to injured fighters, made his way to the finals, and KO'd the guy who beat him earlier in the finals (after almost being KO'd in the fight).

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:27 am 

I'm so bummed that Arsenal lost. We've been in top form this season (besides UCL, that's been disastrous), and losing to West Brom was definitely a smack in the face. That own goal pissed me off so much. It's one thing to concede a shitty pea roller, but an own goal is just a kick in the balls. This season is probably the most exciting and unpredictable season in years, but Leicester City need to be put in their place. Vardy and Mahrez are fucking crazy!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:45 am 

Gladbach actually got as many points in the last eight games as Bayern. Seven wins, one draw. December 5th: Gladbach vs Bayern. That's the Bundesliga match to look out for this season.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:14 pm 

droneriot wrote:
SAD RONALDO + HAPPY KLOPP!! Two perfect results in European football.

I like Klopp too, but why the hate for Ronaldo?

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:27 pm 

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:58 pm 

CHECK THIS SHIT OUT: http://m.cfl.ca/video/index/id/120167

Ottawa is back in the Grey Cup, for the first time since 1981! This play will never be forgotten in this city.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

ratedgdr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:32 am 

Green Bay finally gets back in the win column by beating the Vikings and Dallas wins their first game since WEEK TWO.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:12 am 

Expedience wrote:

Why?

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:26 pm 

Unity wrote:
Expedience wrote:

Why?

I'm pretty sure it's a parody, dude.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:10 am 

I watched some of the World Series of Darts a few nights ago. Pretty cool for a late-night session.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:19 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's a parody, dude.

I can tell it's a parody, I just don't understand the point of it.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:41 pm 

You asked why people dislike Ronaldo. It's not hard to figure out. Or do all Portuguese have egos the size of Jupiter?

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:20 pm 

Expedience wrote:
You asked why people dislike Ronaldo. It's not hard to figure out. Or do all Portuguese have egos the size of Jupiter?

Then I guess I have an ego "the size of Jupiter", as well as all the millions of people all around the world who like him too.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:13 pm 

People like Ronaldo because:
1) They're glory hunters
2) They respect talent
3) They're actual Real Madrid supporters

People dislike Ronaldo because:
1) He can be a tool
2) He's talented
3) He plays for Real Madrid

I don't really hate Ronaldo (mostly because I don't follow La Liga), but I can see why people would hate him.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:35 pm 

Then I think there's no logical reason to dislike him.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:04 pm 

None at all.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:53 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSLxa3MYMcw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp1oQnszyxI

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:01 pm 

You're still missing the point. People are going to hate opposing players because they're opposing players. It doesn't matter if the hatred is irrational or not. In the eyes of a Barcelona fan, it doesn't matter if Messi dives because he plays for Barcelona. If there are two hockey teams and both have tough guys, you're going to hate the opposing tough guy because he's obviously a dirty player. I'm still not understanding why you find it hard to believe that people actually hate Ronaldo.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:58 pm 

TrueDynamite wrote:
You're still missing the point. People are going to hate opposing players because they're opposing players. It doesn't matter if the hatred is irrational or not. In the eyes of a Barcelona fan, it doesn't matter if Messi dives because he plays for Barcelona. If there are two hockey teams and both have tough guys, you're going to hate the opposing tough guy because he's obviously a dirty player. I'm still not understanding why you find it hard to believe that people actually hate Ronaldo.

I'm not "missing" anything, my friend. You tried to show people didn't like Ronaldo because he dived too much and I proved your argument to be bullshit. It's as simple as that.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:06 pm 

I wouldn't believe him to dive much anyway, that could damage his hair.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:28 pm 

Unity wrote:
TrueDynamite wrote:

I'm not "missing" anything, my friend. You tried to show people didn't like Ronaldo because he dived too much and I proved your argument to be bullshit. It's as simple as that.

So, you're saying that NO ONE hates Ronaldo because he dives and the videos of Messi diving proves that? I'm done with this pointless argument. You clearly can't accept that people dislike your guy, which makes absolutely no sense.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:53 pm 

Look, dude: I asked why people disliked Ronaldo. You posted a video of him diving as a reason. I proved you wrong. That's all. All I'm saying is that disliking Ronaldo because he dives makes no sense because Messi is even worse.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:51 pm 

I'm just a hate-mongering metrophobe and Ronaldo is the most metrosexual person on the planet. Hating anyone else for diving is pretty pointless as long as Arjen Robben is active, too.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:31 pm 

If you proved me wrong, you would have proved to me that Ronaldo doesn't dive, which you did not do. I provided a specific example of why some people hate him, not THE reason. If someone took the time to make a video of Ronaldo diving, it's quite possible that hey hate him for that reason. Thank you for proving my point.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:46 pm 

I dislike Cristiano Ronaldo for the following reasons:

1. He seems to be quite arrogant. A good dose of self-esteem is important but CR7 really seems to think that he is the greatest sportsman in the world. If you're that good you don't need to tell anyone about it because it will be obvious if you simply show it in a humble way.

2. He is a drama queen. He is constantly complaining about referees, spreading rumours that he's unhappy since he doesn't get enough money and feels the need to be in the spotlight all the time. Just the way he is preparing his free kicks where he tries to look like a cowboy is both ridicolous and annoying.

3. He tries to create a very superficial image of himself. His looks in his numerous commercials, the style of his hair and even the people he hangs out with in public need to be absolutely perfect. Being a top model and a part of the rich and the famous seem to be as important to him as his soccer abilities.

Other great players are more humble, down-to-earth and authentic in my book. Take someone like Manuel Neuer for example who might be the greatest goalkeeper in the world right now. He doesn't need to organize photo shootings with super models, cry about his salary in public and doesn't try to be Clint Eastwood in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly when he faces a penalty kick.

I really like Portuguese people. I have been in this country and can only say positive things about people there. In my book, CR7's exaggerated antics don't represent these honest and sociable very well. Portugal has had so many great sportsmen they can be proud of like Eusebio or Figo. They don't need to defend that egocentric pop star CR7 all the time. It's especially surprising that metal fans seem to praise someone who seperately tries to keep a pop star image.

Concerning his talent, CR7 would have won numerous awards one or two decades ago and I really respect his incredible talent but unfortunately, he was born around the same time as Lionel Messi and he simply is a more complete soccer player and also has a better image without trying too hard.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:57 pm 

Another thing I dislike about him, since you mentioned the drama queen bit, is that when he is fouled, he sits on the pitch like a pouting toddler.

And as much as I dislike Bayern Munich with my being a Dortmund supporter and someone who wants an entertaining Bundesliga season, Manuel Neuer is the greatest goalkeeper in the world right now.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:08 pm 

droneriot wrote:
I'm just a hate-mongering metrophobe and Ronaldo is the most metrosexual person on the planet. Hating anyone else for diving is pretty pointless as long as Arjen Robben is active, too.

Thank you.

kluseba wrote:

Portugal has had so many great sportsmen they can be proud of like Eusebio or Figo.

Non-Portuguese people aren't aware of it, but actually Eusébio was a despicable piece of shit.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:14 pm 

Pointing out that Robben dives doesn't disprove that people dislike Ronaldo because he dives. I hope you realize that I'm not even arguing anything about Ronaldo at this point.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:39 pm 

I think at the end of this season, whatever team is in 4th place in the Bundesliga could make it into the Champions League qualification with half as many points as Bayern. Currently it's 1st place Bayern at 40 points vs 4th place Gladbach at 23 points. This league is hardly any fun anymore.

-edit- Bundesliga chances in Europe:

Champions League: Bayern is through as group winner in the CL as always, Wolfsburg needs either a draw against ManU or PSV to not win and they're through, too, otherwise EL, Leverkusen has an impossible mathematical chance to go through if they get more points against Barca than Roma does against Borisov, yeah, right, otherwise EL, unless Borisov beats Roma, then they're out entirely, and Gladbach sits firmly in third place heading for the EL unless Sevilla beats Juventus, which i doubt. Gone are the days all four German teams go through.

Europa League: Dortmund probably ruined its chances for the group win, unless Krasnodar have a seriously bad day against Qäbälä (sp? does anyone know?), Schalke probably won't mess up against Tripolis (though you never know with them) and win their group, Augsburg would have to beat Belgrade 3-0 to make it through, somehow I don't think that will happen. Realistically we'll have four teams in the EL next year, possibly five depending on the outcomes in Wolfsburg's CL group.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:46 am 

Anyone else watch the Grey Cup? Was really hoping for Ottawa win, but nevertheless it was a tense game with both teams playing great for the majority of the game and remaining more or less evenly matched. Either way, I'm really proud that Ottawa has went from only wining two fucking games last year to making it to the finals and just barely losing this year. Burris was particularly beastly this season, especially considering his age.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:51 pm 

Just to end all this Ronaldo conversation, I figured I'd post the reasons why I like him:

- He started out (and he's a fan) of my favourite football club, Sporting Clube de Portugal;

- He's a good person;

- He's generous;

- He's a hardworker;

- He's the best portuguese player of all time.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:08 pm 

This fucking toooown! Ottawa crapped out to Edmonton in the Grey Cup last night. If history is any indication, I now have to stay alive til 2049 to see Ottawa in the Final again :(

Anyway, some people say misery loves company, so I've compiled a list of others who belong alongside Ottawa as The Joke Cities (or Regions) of North American Major* Pro Sports. Do you pity the fools?

Spoiler: show
OTTAWA
Current teams: Redblacks, Senators
Most recent title: 1976 Grey Cup (by Rough Riders, now defunct)
Combined championship drought: 127 years
Unique failure: 1 CFL playoff win since 1982

MINNESOTA
Current teams: Timberwolves, Twins, Vikings, Wild
Most recent title: 1991 World Series
Combined championship drought: 144 years
Unique failure: Scored once in entire four-game series loss (to Anaheim, 2003 Western Conference final)

BUFFALO
Current teams: Bills, Sabres
Most recent title: 1965 AFL Championship
Combined championship drought: 95 years
Unique failure: Four straight Super Bowl losses 1990-93

CLEVELAND
Current teams: Browns, Cavaliers, Indians
Most recent title: 1964 NFL Championship
Combined championship drought: 181 years
Unique failure: Oldest AFC team to have never appeared in the Super Bowl

WASHINGTON
Current teams: Capitals, Nationals, Redskins, Wizards
Most recent title: 1991 Super Bowl
Combined championship drought: 193 years
Unique failure: NHL all-time record 10 game-seven losses

CINCINNATI
Current teams: Bengals, Reds
Most recent title: 1990 World Series
Combined championship drought: 103 years
Unique failure: Longest active NFL playoff win drought (24 years)

*Yeah, I'm counting the CFL as a major league. Deal with it. Also, as much as I like soccer, I must admit the MLS is a distant fifth sport and leave it out of the list.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:11 pm 

Damn, Kobe retiring.

His 81 point game in 2006: More impressive than Wilt's 100 in 1962.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:53 am 

MLS isn't even really the "fifth sport" as far as professional leagues go here. That'd be NASCAR and I don't understand why either.

And man that Ravens/Browns ending. Shit.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:13 pm 

I was talking about team sports, with teams based in specific places. While I'm sure some NASCAR drivers are more popular in one area, their victory wouldn't really reflect as a championship for the city.

But you're right. In terms of paid attendance, NASCAR far outpaces even the "Big 4" sports.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:00 pm 

If you want to see a promising team that is most likely going to win a title for the city of Ottawa anytime soon, you ought to watch some Ottawa Fury FC games. They have built up amazing things in just two years, won the fall championship by a mile and made it to the finals against New York Cosmos where they didn't lose by much. Support for the team is steadily growing, the supporters' section at Lansdowne Stadium is a blast and the stadium is probably the best of the entire NASL. Any soccer fan of the region should go enjoy a few games there.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 136  Next