* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:31 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Now this is what you call a freekick!

I'm a ref and probably would have asked them to retake it. You can't mess around like that on penalties and I don't see why you should be able to from that position. It would be easy to set up a system when one player runs up and stops to see if the keeper dives, then get another to kick it the other way.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:06 pm 

Oi Aussies.

Anyone else pumped for the AFL Grand Final? I'm really hoping Fremantle win mostly I just want Hawthorn to lose.

It should be a great game and for all you non-Aussies - check it out, great sport.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:38 am 

Expedience wrote:
I'm a ref and probably would have asked them to retake it. You can't mess around like that on penalties and I don't see why you should be able to from that position. It would be easy to set up a system when one player runs up and stops to see if the keeper dives, then get another to kick it the other way.

One can probably get away with such shenanigans in a small league. Strictly from the rule-book perspective, are they still in the wrong though? I've seen players shuffling about momentarily for penalties too.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:10 am 

BBC News wrote:
Qatar 2022 World Cup organisers are "appalled" by a newspaper investigation that claims migrant workers are treated like slaves

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24282713

Well, duh. It's Qatar.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:28 am 

Expedience wrote:

I don't see anything wrong with the kick. It's not a penalty, it's a direct free kick. It was well worked and the goal was deserved. Football needs more ingenuity, and more of this.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:54 am 

droneriot wrote:
BBC News wrote:
Qatar 2022 World Cup organisers are "appalled" by a newspaper investigation that claims migrant workers are treated like slaves

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24282713

Well, duh. It's Qatar the middle-east.

Fixed that for ya.

But seriously, it sucks tremendously for blue-collared workers especially the ones slogging it out in the sun at construction sites. Earlier (not sure if they still do), governments of middle-eastern countries would notoriously mention a reduced city-temperature so that workers wouldn't be let off from work. The "law" states something like: if the temperature goes above 50C, no laborer should be made to work. I wonder how will Qatar get out of this (foreseeable) mess.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:35 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Expedience wrote:

One can probably get away with such shenanigans in a small league. Strictly from the rule-book perspective, are they still in the wrong though? I've seen players shuffling about momentarily for penalties too.

Strictly, probably not. But I'm a small league ref and I go by what I see as fair. I had another look and seeing as the wall and keeper weren't fooled it was probably okay, but I dislike that kind of fooling around on principle and would hate to see it become more commonplace, which has already happened. You're actually allowed to feint on penalty run-ups now under FIFA rules, god knows why.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:13 am 

^ Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

So this season, I wanted to try and revive my interest in the EPL (English Premier League) and I have started following it quite closely. It's been about 5 years since I did that. I've always been a Gunner and I know they have a relatively crappy team now but oh well. The Ozil signing, albeit quite a pricey one, is doing good for them.

Also, funny how ManU broke their losing run with Sunderland yesterday. It almost seemed like they were in for it at half-time :lol:

Bede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:26 am 

I really don't see what's the bad thing if a team manages to fool the opposing team in a free kick/penalty.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:48 pm 

Hey, hockey is back! I'm doing a pool with my friends from the university. It's gonna be fun!

here's my team! The number besides the player is the rank I drafted him during the pool night, my first pick was Rick Nash. I was last out of 11 to choose, I don't think it's very bad but of course I don't have Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos of Ovie. We had to choose 8 forwards, 5 def, 2 goaltenders and 1 team. I guess I'll have to follow the Rangers!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:25 am 

doubt anyone is a fan but A-league is finally starting on Friday, around a 6 month off season is way too long

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:17 am 

So the world cup football/soccer qualifiers are just over. Great to see Portugal and France pull through last minute. Sweden were almost regulars, tough luck for them this time on not making it through. Here's a good piece written for the Guardian about the teams competing for next year's world cup and their preliminary rankings.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... CMP=twt_gu

I'm supporting Germany as I have been since the '94 world cup. I know it's gonna be tough for them with the latest resurgence in the Brazil camp. On paper they're great but as we saw in the previous tournament, Germany loses it just when it matters the most.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:57 am 

I read that same piece just now on the bus to work. Hard to argue with much in that ranking I think. With their depth of squad, I would have to fancy Germany as favourites, but as you say they have bottled in before, and I don't think (other than the Sweden matches recently) we've yet seen too much of this team with their backs to the wall, or under serious pressure from stronger opponents.

It's certainly a shame not to have Sweden going, though I'm glad Portugal made it, on balance. For all the talk of Ibrahimovic, a World Cup without Ronaldo would be unimaginable. Some very exciting teams going though: looking forward to Chile and Japan in particular. I'm English myself, living in the US right now, and I'll be here next summer for the WC. I don't fancy our chances at all, but honestly a nationally embarrassing arse-kicking in each game we play might just be the thing to turn around our broken football system in the UK. And it will be fun to watch a tournament that the USA are playing -- at least the bars will be busy here and I won't be watching on my own!

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:00 am 

Glad to see Croatia get in. They play a nice up-tempo game much like the Turks. Anyone know if they've qualified yet? The Croatia-Turkey game in the last Euro was probably the best game I've ever seen! Next to the Canadian women getting BS'ed by the USA at the London Olympics.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:13 am 

Jon Stewart on the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. It's a bit over the top but it gets hilarious towards the end, especially the bit about the pressbox! :lol:

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:31 am 

Whenever I have the displeasure to see Sport I realise that homosexuality is very mainstream, and it makes me very happy. More woman in Sport, we "straight" people like it as well. Plz?

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:47 am 

I just want to take this opportunity to laugh at Tottenham Hotspur fans. :lol:

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:00 am 

I didn't watch that match but the highlights and the mocking of Bale's heart sign by the crowd were just glorious. What a thumping! ManC have a terrific side and while I think Mourinho is overrated, he did say that ManC are the best team in the league at the moment. I agree with that statement. I wait with anxiety for the ManC-Arsenal fixture next month.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:35 am 

Man City by far and away have the best squad in the league, no question. I think it speaks volumes that Arsenal appear to be running away with it this year, and that Liverpool seem to be genuine contenders. I'm also becoming a huge David Moyes fan, particularly of his work this season.

I'm not a Chelsea fan at all, but Mourinho isn't over rated. He's won everything there is to win, and he even won a Champions League title with a Portuguese team. You can't argue with the mans record.

Riffs wrote:

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:00 am 

True, the records speak for themselves but I was never fond of him. I'm not denying that he's been one of the best managers in recent history. He did great things with Porto and initially with Chelsea too. But you have to admit that he's had a lot to work with especially with the amount of money pumped into Chelsea and Real.

Moyes is a great coach, rising up the ranks with a small team et al. Though the season is far from over, he has had a string of bad luck with ManU. I feel sorry for him whenever I see his post-game interviews. The only time I've seen him overly ecstatic was when Januzaj scored those goals. Everyone thought it was gonna be a turn around for ManU. But it hasn't been that story so far. Anyway, I'm definitely not a ManU fan and I'm sort of glad they are lagging behind the rest. It's paradoxical because I sympathize with the coach but not with the team.

Arsenal have had flashes of brilliance especially with the one-two passing in the box. But I fail to see how they can sustain that when the opposition teams are learning their tricks. And they still lack in defense. Mertesacker missed the ManU game and Arsenal paid the price for that. As far as attacking goes, I miss the blazing long runs on the flanks, the quick turn-arounds, the long through ball passes. They may have started strong but there are some tough matches in December and then come the second leg matches. I've got my fingers crossed and I hope that they get the title. There's some amazing football to look forward to this season!

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:19 am 

I think Moyes has been the architect of his own failure so far. His transfer policy was utterly abysmal, and he signed the one player he really didn't need. It seems almost inevitable that he'll get Baines in January, but he seems no closer as far as I can tell to solving United's real problem, which is a creative midfielder. He also seems to be out of touch, seemingly of the opinion that he can sign players below market prices on the basis that the selling clubs are happy to sell to Manchester United, and that the players signed will be happy to play for Manchester United, just because the club happens to be Manchester United.

I don't know what's going on at Chelsea. Mourinho walked in with this air of invincibility, and has proven to be anything but. He had a perfect opportunity to replace the clubs ageing stars and begin a new dynasty. He's done anything but, and John Terry in particular has looked vulnerable on occasion this season. I've already lost count the amount of times the club has been saved by Lampard this season. Perhaps most glaring was his decision to let Lukaku go out on loan. Chelsea's style of play requires a Drogba type striker. A strong striker who can play the target man role, and has no problem playing with his back to goal. This is Lukaku. It certainly isn't Torres, Ba or Eto'o.

I agree with you about Arsenal. What is worrying about them is that they while they do look vulnerable on occasion, and occasionally one dimensional, no one looks likely to catch them. Manchester United and Aston Villa aside, they really have wiped the floor with everyone they've come up against.

Riffs wrote:

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:46 pm 

So, every time I turn on the TV on some random day in the middle of the week, lthere is this team, Northern Illinois, playing football. Turned on ESPN tonight and lo and behold, it's Northern Illinois football again. So, I guess this is directed at people like Bastardhead and the people on this board who are from the Chicago area.

It sounds like this team swung some kind of deal with ESPN to play games on "off" nights of the week, when there is no other football to watch, so as to monopolize the football fan viewership. It seems to be working. The season's almost over and they have yet to lose a game. Their quarterback is outstanding, Heisman caliber, and people are going from, like "Northern Illinois, what the fuck??" to "You know, there's this team, Northern Illinois, and goddamn, they're actually pretty good!"

So the question invariably arises, is this team as good as their record. It seems like whenever some "outsider" team like this goes on a tear and finishes the season undefeated, college football fans like to pile on and talk shit about them. They did this when Hawaii, Nevada, Boise, and Utah finished with undefeated (or one loss) seasons too, in the past. Nobody seems to like a Cinderella team in college football. Seems to me this Northern Illinois team can go toe to toe with anybody, but I wonder if a big physical grinding team like Ohio State plays them, will Lynch and the NIU offense still have success? None of their opponents have been ranked in the top 20 as far as I know.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:51 pm 

I don't follow college football nearly as much as the NFL, so I learn pretty much all I know on the subject from sportscenter. Looking at their schedule, I am unimpressed by Northern Illinois. Their most difficult game came week 1 against Iowa, and they barely won. Their quarterback seems like he can run really well, but in his latest game he was 5/17 passing for 39 yards. When you can run for 321 yards as a quarterback, it doesn't matter how well you can pass, but there is no chance that he would be able to get away with that against good teams. If he were to play against any team in the top 25, he would have to pass well just to contend.

Take a look at Baylor this year. They were at one point ranked 4th in the country. They had a relatively easy schedule, but when it came to playing Oklahoma St this past weekend, they got smacked. Sometimes there is a such a big gap in skill level between teams that it goes unnoticed until they play. I'm sure Alabama and Auburn would have no problem against either Northern Illinois or Baylor.

On another note, I am excited for playoffs that will begin next season. One of the reasons I never got too into college football (besides Uconn being awful) is the lack of playoffs. It will be interesting to see a team like Ohio State have to contend against Alabama to make the championship.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:03 pm 

Anyone else disappointed with Canada's Olympic curling qualifier tomorrow? Curling was a dignified game, but now they're selling out and that really sucks. Inviting Ron Burgundy to join the commentary crew? Come on, what the hell kind of dumbass gimmick is that?

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:36 pm 

A spectacular return to mediocrity and predictability from Liverpool. Absolutely pathetic display. In other news, Andre Villas Boas blames Sir Alan Sugar for Spurs current problems.

Riffs wrote:

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:34 am 

With only half the SAS, it was bound to be tough for them. I didn't watch that game but I guess, they must've lacked quite a bit defensively to concede those many goals.

In other news, Ozil finally resumes his assisting ways.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:45 am 

Anyone else watching the cricket? Because holy fuck, was that some serious bowling from johnson.. The sort of spell that will be talked about in decades to come :)

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:19 am 

Had almost front row tickets to the Sens/Leafs game yesterday. Unfortunately the lamer team won, but they had to go all the way to a shootout to do so. The Sens really let their guard down in the second period, but made a nice recovery in the third.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:06 am 

The Arsenal-Everton game was probably the most frustrating match I've seen in recent time. Irrespective of the final score, the game was the complete antithesis of free flowing football. Gah.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:17 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Had almost front row tickets to the Sens/Leafs game yesterday. Unfortunately the lamer team won, but they had to go all the way to a shootout to do so. The Sens really let their guard down in the second period, but made a nice recovery in the third.

:???: Not sure how a team can let their guard down, when they never had a lead to guard! Nice to find another Sens fan though.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:55 pm 

The Leafs are giving like 50 shots each game, awful defense who were lucky at the start of the season. At least they have good offensive players who can score. The Sens are mostly perturbed by the departure of their captain and Anderson is not playing well, they should play Lehner more often. They have a future very good duo with Ryan and Turris, it will be developed and it will go somewhere soon but Ottawa will definitely miss the playoffs.

I'm just gonna say: 9-0-1 :-D :oh shit:

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:58 pm 

What I meant is that they were tied and they just seemed to lose focus for half of the second period, allowing the leafs to score twice. Yeah it sucks that Alfie is gone, but at least we have Ryan now.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:50 pm 

Atlanta Falcons! Rise down!
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:19 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Anderson is not playing well, they should play Lehner more often.

It's not that Anderson or Lehner aren't playing particularly well (though the two have been pretty average this year), it's that the defense in front of them is playing like shit. Karlsson may as well be a fourth forward on the ice at this point in time and really the only defensive minded players they have out on the ice the majority of the time are Phillips, Methot, and Cowen (the latter still needs much refining in this area, though he is young). I'm hoping in a couple years time this changes with the emergence of some of the younger, more defensive minded guys in the minors like Ceci, or Borowiecki (who has played fairly solid thus far in the time he's spent in the NHL). They've been spending far too much time chasing the game as well. Soon as they go down 1-0 it's like all composure, discipline, and focus is completely gone. Good point with Alfredsson's departure, as I think it relates to this as well. He played a great lead role in many of these situations and was a pillar to that team in regards to perseverance in times where they had to dig deep. Not to mention a mentor to some of the younger dudes like Karlsson, Zibanejad, etc. I think it's time Spezza steps up or is shown the door.

Also, worth mentioning again that Brian Murray moving Bishop for Conacher was one of the worst decisions in team history.

Metantoine wrote:
They have a future very good duo with Ryan and Turris

Why Paul MacLean took the MacArthur, Ryan, Turris line apart is beyond me. It was the only successful thing we had going for us this year. I guess you need to juggle lines every now and then to try to find something that works overall, but pairing Spezza with MacArthur? Two playmakers? Really?
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:55 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
What I meant is that they were tied and they just seemed to lose focus for half of the second period, allowing the leafs to score twice. Yeah it sucks that Alfie is gone, but at least we have Ryan now.

Yeah I hear ya! My confusion was with the team's behaviour, not your interpretation of it :)

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:10 pm 

IX Leviathan wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
Anderson is not playing well, they should play Lehner more often.

It's not that Anderson or Lehner aren't playing particularly well (though the two have been pretty average this year), it's that the defense in front of them is playing like shit.

Can't it be both? The defence has been appalling, but Anderson's been picked for too many weak-ass goals. Lehner's been far better!

[quote=IX Leviathan]Karlsson may as well be a fourth forward on the ice at this point in time and really the only defensive minded players they have out on the ice the majority of the time are Phillips, Methot, and Cowen (the latter still needs much refining in this area, though he is young). I'm hoping in a couple years time this changes with the emergence of some of the younger, more defensive minded guys in the minors like Ceci, or Borowiecki (who has played fairly solid thus far in the time he's spent in the NHL).[/quote]

Absolutely bring him up chop-chop.

[quote= IX Leviathan]They've been spending far too much time chasing the game as well. Soon as they go down 1-0 it's like all composure, discipline, and focus is completely gone. Good point with Alfredsson's departure, as I think it relates to this as well. He played a great lead role in many of these situations and was a pillar to that team in regards to perseverance in times where they had to dig deep. Not to mention a mentor to some of the younger dudes like Karlsson, Zibanejad, etc. I think it's time Spezza steps up or is shown the door.

Also, worth mentioning again that Brian Murray moving Bishop for Conacher was one of the worst decisions in team history. [/quote]

Sure it looks that way now. But at the time, Ottawa had three goalies playing well enough to be a No. 1. You just can't enough playing time to make that worthwhile. And so many forwards (plus, as you rightly say, the reckless midfielder Karlsson) were injured, that scoring was the team's biggest shortfall. So taking an offensive guy - Conacher was actually scoring back then - for Bishop made sense.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:14 pm 

In something I know will piss off a ton of Americans who aren't even going to the damn thing, tailgating at the Super Bowl next year got banned.

http://www.today.com/video/today/53788374/#53788374

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:52 am 

http://m.thestar.com/#!/sportsnews/redi ... a77fa063ba

Anyone else uneasy about what this Rogers NHL television deal might alter with the HNIC? Ron MacLean is already talking like he and Don Cherry might be on the way out. I've also really gotten to like PJ Stock too. There will certainly be cuts/replacements... TSN's been muscled out too, with Onrait and O'Toole jumping to Fox Sports. So many changes :/

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:43 am 

Went to the Sens/Blues game tonight. I'm really happy to see the Sens actually fucking win for once, I think all of the games I went to lately the other team scores in like the first 5 minutes. The energy we had for the first half of the first period was incredible and we played very strong against a team that is doing much better than us. I'm glad Anderson wasn't in net, he hasn't been playing good lately. Thought Lehner did a good job, that first goal any goalie would have let in. That one save where he jumped to the side and kicked his leg up in the air to block the puck was golden. Also was really cool to see Ceci get his first goal during overtime to win us the game. Kid definitely seems promising.

Can't say I'm upset about the Leafs losing.

Edit (Dec 24th) - Went to another Sens game tonight, the last one I'll be able to go to in a while. 5-0 against one of the best teams in the league (Penguins), fucking incredible. I have to give a lot of the success to Anderson, he really stood strong the whole game and played really well for once. Those saves against the two breakaways were incredible. Crosby was basically a non-entity, didn't do much besides get pushed around. When the ref got the puck in the back that was really crazy, later I saw on the TV that he was listed as "blocked one shot" haha.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:05 pm 

caspian wrote:
Anyone else watching the cricket? Because holy fuck, was that some serious bowling from johnson.. The sort of spell that will be talked about in decades to come :)

You Aussies will love watching this.

Piers Morgan Vs Brett Lee

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 136  Next