Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:21 pm 

^ I know that he ranks highly in carer yardage, but my point is that he wasn't particularly dominant. He gained yards just as much by running it 300+ times than by actually being great. Even in his prime, Bettis wasn't usually even top 3.

My ideal NFL Hall of Fame would have about 20-25 RB's, and I just don't think Bettis belongs. I've mentioned this to my relatives who got to see his whole career, and they saw it the same way. The Bus was never an elite, franchise player.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:27 pm 

So all that yardage and the fact that he WAS the franchise player for Pittsburgh for like ten years means nothing? The dude racked up insane yardage for being built like a lineman. His yards per carry is only 3.9, which is the worst in the top 25 excepting Eddie George with 3.6, so yeah he wasn't a big runner and he definitely racked up his numbers through volume, but that kinda speaks for his durability and ability to keep playing through tough situations, no?

Yeah, he's no Emmitt Smith, but I'd take him over all but like three or four active players right now.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:44 pm 

The Bus was tough; I couldn't argue against that. My point is largely that he wasn't an elite player in his prime. He was a good, forward runner who lasted longer than most of them did, but was nowhere near a Campbell or Smith at his best. I just don't feel that the Hall ought to be inducting good and tough RB's who were never the best in any given season or even all that close.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. :beer:

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:15 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Anybody else here play Fantasy Football? My draft is in five minutes. This is my sixth year and I've only made the playoffs once. I'm a five year noob and dammit I'm gonna break that this year.

Fantasy football is both head to head and subject to the actual game, which is incredibly random due to injuries. Don't feel bad, I've lead my main league in points in 3 of the last 4 seasons, and made the playoffs in precisely zero of them.

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:21 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
StainedClass95 wrote:
It's been a bit of a weird year in baseball for stars. Cabrera fell several notches, Trout fell a notch, Tulowitzki got hurt, and it just doesn't feel like anyone's really dominating. Obviously, the depth is there, but the top feels a bit weaker than usual.

Miggy's been playing hurt. I think Mike Trout has been playing though some pain most of the season as well but you wouldn't know it looking at his slash line which is even more of a testament as to why he is the best player in the game. Tulo is a great player but so goddamn injury prone. I disagree about nobody dominating (for position players)..two words for ya: Giancarlo Stanton. If you are going by home runs, well yeah they are obviously down because of stricter PED testing. When players aren't juicing, the balls are staying inside the park.

Trout isn't hurt, he just has a terrible approach at the plate. Pitchers know he's going to watch pitches early in the at-bat (he has one of the 3 lowest first pitch swing rates in all of baseball), so they're throwing more strikes. Evidence:

2013, times in specific counts - 716 PA total:

0-2: 113 PA
1-2: 184 PA
2-2: 186 PA

2014 - 685 PA:

0-2: 124 PA
1-2: 245 PA
2-2: 223 PA

That's why his walks are down and his strikeouts are up. If Trout swung more frequently earlier in counts, he could easily snap off a few .320, 40 HR seasons over the next decade.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:34 am 

Galchenyuk! I think he'll have his breakout year this season.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:28 am 

I'm a Minnesota Twins fan, and we're expecting to see Paul Molitor become the new manager because this year has been terrible. Also, the St. Paul Saints get a new stadium next year, and that looks like it might be pretty nice.

When the Minnesota Atheists sponsor a game, they change the team to the Mr. Paul Aints. I have to make sure to get to that one next year.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:03 am 

:hyper: Not like anyone cares, but my NRL team (rugby league) is in it's first grand final in 43 years. Been there supporting them through coming dead last for years (and not far from the bottom most other years) and to have them in the big game is a massive thing for me. I really hope we win. The game is on Sunday

My dad was 17 when we last were even in one (we did win) :lol:
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:09 pm 

That's always fun, and I can relate to that. Blackhawks had a crazy bad streak without a Cup, from 1961 to 2010, so that was special to finally see the team make it. Now they've won twice in four years and made 4 conference finals in 6, so they're one of the biggest and most hated teams by non-fans, so it's a totally different dynamic, but it's awesome anyway.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:20 pm 

Though we havn't won a grand final since 1971, we are still the most successful in terms of them, so we get a lot of hate from certain rival teams. We are considered "The pride of the league" though. Some of the biggest stories were by players of this team including playing 70 minutes with a broken jaw (Sattler). Just under 17 hours to go...
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:26 pm 

So you're the Maple Leafs of rugby, got it.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:50 am 

Woooohoooo We won it. Waiting for a lift, then partying. Only had a few drinks during the game, was too nervous while watching hahaha

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:15 am 

Arsenal suck major balls! There are just so many things wrong with this side. #WengerOut.

Ya'll can now get back to discussing your other sports.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:09 am 

I am a West Ham supporter so have nothing to brag about on that front :lol:

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:40 am 

Anyone watch baseball? This has been the best Postseason in a long while.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:40 am 

This is the first tackle of the above grand final. Sam Burgess played the whole match with a fractured cheek bone and fractured eye socket. This is the collision that caused it

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:42 pm 

You mentioned baseball- I typically have zero interest in any baseball team that doesn't play in San Francisco's Pac Bell park, and watched with the typical dismay as the Giants stumbled through a horrific June slump, then seemed to fall apart right at the end of the season and back their way into the playoffs. But it is interesting, they have a recent history of pulling off huge postseason upsets against arguably far better, more talented teams- such as this year's Washington team for example. And it is odd that the Dodgers, who seemed a lock for the World Series, are done for the year as well. I don't have any predictions on who will win the World Series, but for the NLCS- again, St Louis is a better team than San Francisco but I would certainly not bet against the Giants in that matchup.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:36 am 

I went to my University's homecoming game earlier which was disappointing. It was indoors (just doesn't feel right to me) and the seating wasn't even half-filled. Toss in that the game was fairly bad, and I left at halftime.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:02 am 

Nice goal by Liverpool ...

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:57 pm 

The Wild destroyed the Avalanche to begin the new hockey season.

Ron Gardenhire is no longer the manager for the Twins.

The two sports I give a crap about are looking up.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:32 pm 

I honestly would have preferred to see the Royals win, but still, congrats to the Giants and especially Bumgarner.

That ending was exciting though, wasn't it? Mis-playing a single into a "triple" in the bottom of the 9th with a 1-run lead in Game 7?! :ah-ha:

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:48 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
I honestly would have preferred to see the Royals win, but still, congrats to the Giants and especially Bumgarner.

That ending was exciting though, wasn't it? Mis-playing a single into a "triple" in the bottom of the 9th with a 1-run lead in Game 7?! :ah-ha:

Same here with the preferred winner. After that triple, I really thought the Royals would come back. It's ironic to me that both the MLB and NFL Giants have been very successful without being dominant in the regular season.

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:48 pm 

StainedClass95 wrote:
ChineseDownhill wrote:

Same here with the preferred winner. After that triple, I really thought the Royals would come back. It's ironic to me that both the MLB and NFL Giants have been very successful without being dominant in the regular season.
well the NFL giants have not really impressed anyone as of late. eli is definitely in his brother's shadow this season. speaking of which, as a "till death" chargers fan, id like to hope that denver's game against new england could somehow end with both teams loosing. however, id slightly bucking for new england to take that win. i hold tighter grudges over sports than i do personal, and denver's win over the bolts last thursday still has a nasty aftertaste

BlackFlags
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:12 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Arsenal suck major balls! There are just so many things wrong with this side. #WengerOut.

Ya'll can now get back to discussing your other sports.

Not as annoying as MU and their copious amounts of money spent on gun players :-P not sure who you go for but I don't enjoy watching them too often. 118 million pound spent this summer reportedly.

(Liverpool ftw..)

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:22 pm 

Nah, Arsenal are more annoying. 118m can't be far off what Liverpool spent, and they're not exactly thrilling to watch nowadays either. They are starting (well, continuing...) to look silly buying all those Southampton players while the Saints are flying without them, and Balotelli being a flop was something you could see coming a mile away. I read that Gerrard may leave if he isn't renewed.. that really would be icing on the cake!

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:13 pm 

Now that a quarter of the season's done, I'm pretty sure the Sens suck :(
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:16 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Now that a quarter of the season's done, I'm pretty sure the Sens suck :(

I knew that before the start of the season! :) I've been following the NHL a lot since I have a fantasy team and I'm glad the Habs are playing so well (most of the time).

But eh, at least Alfie will retire in Ottawa, class move.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:35 pm 

Truth be told, I suspected as much as too. No team can have nearly 2000 career points jump ship in back-to-back years (hell, 3000 including Sergei Gonchar the year before), without sucking some ass pretty quick.

I am happy for Montreal though! I'd even forgive ancient history and back the Leafs if I had to in the playoffs.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:43 pm 

Any of y'all catch Imagine Dragons at the Grey Cup halftime show? I've never heard a more drastic difference between live version (where they can play their music how they intended), and the edited, plasticized radio version. Long story short, live, they don't suck. Which I found very, very surprising!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:59 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Truth be told, I suspected as much as too. No team can have nearly 2000 career points jump ship in back-to-back years (hell, 3000 including Sergei Gonchar the year before), without sucking some ass pretty quick.

I am happy for Montreal though! I'd even forgive ancient history and back the Leafs if I had to in the playoffs.

Yeah, I do love/hate the Leafs and I'm already daydreaming of a Toronto/Montréal series! I have Kessel, Franson and Bozak on my team and they're destroying the unexpectedly sucky Stars tonight.

Gonchar is pretty decent for an old dude right now, he's making Andrei Markov happy lol.

Pretty sad situation for the Oilers right now, they have 3 first overall draft picks on their team and they've lost 10 games in a row...compared to the Islanders who only has one (Tavares) and won 10 in a row. Bad bad bad management! They're gonna move soon.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:59 am 

Welcome to "Fantasy World: Metantoine Edition"! Where every bad team turns into the Nordiques!

Edmonton isn't going anywhere, just like how Chicago wasn't going anywhere when management was padded-helmet stupid and the games weren't on TV. I will eat a literal hockey puck if they move in the next twenty years.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:07 pm 

You know who makes me laugh? Andy Dalton. Holy shit that dude is bad.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:04 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Welcome to "Fantasy World: Metantoine Edition"! Where every bad team turns into the Nordiques!

Edmonton isn't going anywhere, just like how Chicago wasn't going anywhere when management was padded-helmet stupid and the games weren't on TV. I will eat a literal hockey puck if they move in the next twenty years.

By "they're gonna move soon", I obviously mean that they're gonna trade some players (Eberle will be the first to go), not that they'll relocate, you dumbass! Sorry that wasn't clear enough, I can see how it can be confusing but come on, it's not like it's the Panthers. I fucking love the Oilers, there's no chance in hell that legendary team is moving elsewhere.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:30 pm 

I thought you'd lost your mind there :p

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:08 am 

Any time the Nordiques and Panthers are mentioned together, I get hopeful!

Rambo: Andy Dalton sucks? What you talkin' bout Willis? You don't lead the strongest division with a shitty quarterback!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:58 am 

Apparently you can.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:21 am 

Dalton has the potential to be an above average quarterback, but he is far too inconsistent right now. And the Cardinals have been leading their division all year despite going through quarterbacks, so it can be done.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:55 pm 

Dalton? Ha ha, I remember when Kyle Wilson (currently a defensive back with the Jets I think?) just LAID...HIM...the fuck OUT in the 2010 Fiesta Bowl. Guy was laying there on the field for like 5 minutes. He did, to his credit, come back in and finish the game. I always thought Dalton was a decent quarterback but wonder if he was ever quite the same after that?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:57 pm 

Dalton is consistent in a really weirdly bad way. He's wildly unpredictable in the regular season (like Jay Cutler) but he's awful 100% of the time when it comes to the playoffs. I may be remembering wrong, but hasn't he gotten Cincinnati into the playoffs like three times and just shat the bed every time? I mean, Cutler is a booger and not at all worth the monster contract that we're stuck with, but at least I've seen him win a playoff game.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:44 pm 

Who gets the credit for the Bengals' success, if not Andy Dalton? Who else do they have? One A-list receiver (AJ Green), middling defence - admittedly better in past years, and squat-diddly of a rushing game. Someone is making plays out of not much to work with!

Also, the Cardinals comparison doesn't really work. Yeah they're in first place despite playing a bunc if QBs. But they got to that point by going 7-1 with Carson Palmer, then got hurt in the next game.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 136  Next