Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:16 pm 

Yeah, Foster had a good game as a receiver. We gave him too much space, and we all know the guy can run. I think if our blitz packages can bring in some sacks, or at least disrupt getting the screen play going, we'll at least do okay on that front.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:20 am 

The end of that Atlanta-Seattle game (or as my dad referred to it as; The Angry Birds Bowl) was intense. Owen Wilson has got to be kicking himself for icing Bryant at the end of the game, and everybody should be livid over the end of the first half. They came within one point, and then let a good kick return and a second attempt at a field goal undo them.

Everybody knew the Pats were going to win and I spent half of that game arguing with my dad over gun control, so I missed most of the second half but I maintain nothing superbly interesting could have happened during it.

But really:
ImageImage
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:54 am 

I have a NBA related question regarding the Knicks and Nets.

As known, the New Jersey Nets became the Brooklyn Nets during the off season. Now, does this mean that all the previous Brooklyn based Knicks fans changed teams or what? This is somewhat confusing for me, since I live in a country were teams don't move around, so I'm curious to what the answer is.

misogynisticfeminist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:06 am 

Porman wrote:
I have a NBA related question regarding the Knicks and Nets.

As known, the New Jersey Nets became the Brooklyn Nets during the off season. Now, does this mean that all the previous Brooklyn based Knicks fans changed teams or what? This is somewhat confusing for me, since I live in a country were teams don't move around, so I'm curious to what the answer is.

I don't follow basketball, but I would assume that the fans would stay loyal to their teams and a big rivalry will just manifest itself. It could also depend on what part of town you live in, like in baseball the south side of Chicago is White Sox country and the north side is Cubs territory. The (now) Los Angeles Angels, who "moved" to LA from Anaheim, are still referred to as the Anaheim Angels by a lot of people. Hell, they still play in Anaheim. I don't think any Dodger fans switched teams or anything because the Angels "came to town"... but then again the Dodgers are National league whereas the Angels are American league. I personally have a favorite team for both leagues, and some people cheer for more teams than others...

I guess what I'm getting at is simply... I don't know, it depends. :scratch:

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:10 am 

Yeah, that's the interesting thing here. Are people loyal to their team or to their local whereabouts?

I mean, would someone who lives in a certain town, still be following a team that moved to a completely different city?

misogynisticfeminist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:24 am 

Sports fans from New York are dickheads anyways. They'll cheer for whoever is better just so they can annoy other people. That's why every professional sport has at least a couple different teams in New York, so if one isn't doing well, they can switch to the other in hopes of being able to trash talk others. :lol:

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:19 pm 

I'm so old that I used to follow the Cavs when Price was playing... Man that team is at the bottom right now...

MEGANICK89
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:39 pm 

Porman wrote:
Yeah, that's the interesting thing here. Are people loyal to their team or to their local whereabouts?

I mean, would someone who lives in a certain town, still be following a team that moved to a completely different city?

Ask Seattle fans what they think of the Oklahoma City Thunder. That should answer your question.

Also, with the NFL, when the Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore, no one from Cleveland cheered for the Ravens.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:45 pm 

Oh, the Sonics were one of my favourite teams to watch...

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:23 pm 

Haha the old SuperSonics with Gary Payton and Shaun Kemp, hell yeah boy!

Anyways as far as the team movement goes, I'm sure the Nets gained some fans and lost some others, honestly i don't imagine NJ fans being as attached to the Nets as Cleveland fans were to the Browns. Now THAT was a big deal for a lot of people, where as NJ fans can take an extra couple of legs on the same bus route and still see a Nets game. Similar with the Raiders moving, but staying within 50 or 100 miles of wherever they moved from. Also NBA teams don't inspire the same sort of fan fanaticism as NFL teams do here. When Kansas City lost our basketball team it wasn't a huge deal, nobody was going to games anyways, otherwise they'd have stayed.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Calamity_Cometh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:16 pm 

Regarding American football, I desperately hope to be surprised. The Patriots are such a bandwagon in my community that it is sickening. Tom Brady on his own is a remarkable quarterback, but his cult of personality is discouraging and quite annoying. And with the Broncos being defeated in one of my favorite playoff games of all time, I have considerable doubts concerning a team that can defeat the Patriots. I think the Ravens are too inconsistent. Every playoff team will have already reviewed game film recordings of the mile high showdown and point out to their secondaries how and why Manning's Broncos lost. The Falcons are lucky, in my opinion. That doesn't mean they are bad, but they are lucky. Many close games. The 49ers - IF they can maintain momentum - MIGHT be able to defeat the Patriots but I'm still not sure. Brady delivers passes easily. But if Kaepernick can capitalize on his duel threat capabilities, and the famed 2012 49ers defense can hold, they might pull an upset.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:16 pm 

Before last week, I would have said SF is a more balanced team. But yeah, the Pats dominate at will in the big games. Kaepernick might be able to duplicate his play to get to the Super Bowl but personally I think the read option is a gimmick.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:16 pm 

I think that the falcons are underrated. Many people think that the 49ers will roll right over them, but Roddy White, Julio Jones, and Tony Gonzalez are all big threats. If Matt Ryan can get the ball to those guys, they can easily score over 30 points. Michael Turner and Jacquizz Rodgers are going to have to do work as well, facing a defense as tough as the niners, but I think that the Falcons have a good shot.

I think that the patriots used to get a lot of bandwagoners, but there are so many people that hate them that I think the haters far outweigh the fans. I live in New England and still most of the people I know want them to lose.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:18 pm 

heh..the Falcons. Came soo close to blowing that game in the worst fashion.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:57 pm 

Man, as a long time Pats fan, it's fucking hilarious to listen to all the hate the team gets nowadays. Pre-1994, we were almost on the 'Aints level of self-pity. Growing up having to watch Scott Zolak play quarterback occasionally, moping through a few 2-3 win seasons...I'm so very glad the team is the way it is now.

Also, for those who think the Patriots have the worst case of a bandwagon fanbase have never stepped foot inside the state of Louisiana.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:09 pm 

This weekend, I'm making every pick the opposite since I did so poorly last week. Niners and Ravens it is then. Though to be fair I picked the NFC team on a coin flip.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:35 pm 

Hockey tonight!!!!!! I'm watching the Sens/Jets game, good game. Can't wait for the Habs vs the Leafs and Galchenyuk's NHL debut.

I made an NHL chat on esper, it's #nhl if you're interested.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:42 am 

BastardHead wrote:
This weekend, I'm making every pick the opposite since I did so poorly last week. Niners and Ravens it is then. Though to be fair I picked the NFC team on a coin flip.

Good job! I would have picked the Patriots in a heartbeat, myself. Was kind of hoping they were gonna be in it. Have no idea what happened there. 49ers game was painfully close though and could have easily gone either way.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:22 am 

I was wrong on both predictions this week. However, with the second game, I was kinda rooting for both teams; even though I'm a Pats guy through and through, there was a part of me that wanted the Ravens to win so Ray Lewis's last game could be the Super Bowl. I will be rooting for Baltimore in 2 weeks

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:19 am 

Everybody on the pats had butterfingers today.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:22 am 

yeah, well, Wes Welker is notorious for pulling that crap in critical big games. Last year, he dropped a potentially game winning pass that very probably cost the Patriots a fourth super bowl title. And it was an easy, right-on-the-money throw to him when he was wide open. He's normally a great receiver- but not in clutch situations.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:58 am 

NE hasn't won since 2004. You can't win if you can't cheat.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:23 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:

For those of you who don't know what spygate is (aka this guy):

In ONE game in 2007 against the New York Jets, the Patriots sideline taped the Jets sideline. They then took this footage to use for the next game against them that season. Not once did they cheat in any of their Super Bowl seasons and most people have no clue about spygate as they only use it to talk shit. Do a little research to find out what you are talking about next time.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:03 pm 

So glad it's going to be 49ers and Ravens. If it was the Falcons and the Patriots I wouldn't watch the Superbowl. Going to be really interesting. Ravens whooped dat ass last night.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:33 pm 

ObservationSlave wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

For those of you who don't know what spygate is (aka this guy):

In ONE game in 2007 against the New York Jets, the Patriots sideline taped the Jets sideline. They then took this footage to use for the next game against them that season. Not once did they cheat in any of their Super Bowl seasons and most people have no clue about spygate as they only use it to talk shit. Do a little research to find out what you are talking about next time.

One game they got narced on, to assume they never did the same thing to other teams is pretty hopelessly naive. It certainly helps that they have one of the most consistently pathetic divisions in football (next to the AFC West and (until recently) the NFC West), so they get an easy 5-6 wins every year. That said, I have two major things to say about spygate:

1) The defense of "it wasn't really cheating since everybody does it, may as well fine EVERY team" is such a childish argument. I heard it a lot around the time the story broke, and it just drove me insane. The risk of cheating is being caught and punished, the fact that you understood that and took the risk anyway doesn't mean you have the luxury of being innocent by association since you're not the only team who does it, just the only one who got caught.

2) Despite the fact that that season was the one when they went 16-0 in the regular season, I still think it's pretty impossible to deny that New England was pretty handily the best team in the league that year. They had what, two close games all year? They blew everybody out, and it wasn't necessarily because of the taping shit, just Brady was on-point all year. Dude never had a bad game, and he and Moss and Welker just rolled every defense they came across. Almost every game was a blowout. I admit, I may be singing a different tune if their Super Bowl loss wasn't the perfect Hollywood comeuppance for the bad guys, but still, they owned everybody that year, taping or not.

Anywho, my reverse picks worked well for me, and this is the first time since I've started watching football (16ish years, my first Super Bowl was Green Bay V New England) where I actually really liked both teams in the Super Bowl. I don't care who wins, either way I'm happy. There are so many good storylines. The Harbaugh brothers coaching against each other, Kaepernick's surprise run to dominance, Lewis's last game, it's gonna be a really good one.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:54 pm 

OH NO IT'S A SPYGATE DISCUSSION, WHERE ARE MY AIDS JOKES WHEN I NEED THEM

Anyways, the Bruins/Jets game has been pretty solid. Lots of good scoring chances for both teams, but neither can seem to find the net. The B's have found the posts about three times, though...

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:06 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
So glad it's going to be 49ers and Ravens. If it was the Falcons and the Patriots I wouldn't watch the Superbowl. Going to be really interesting. Ravens whooped dat ass last night.

Same here. I hate both teams. I like Brady though.

New England has built itself quite a bandwagon over the past dozen years. Hard to believe but prior to the Bill Parcells era, the Patriots were one the league's more moribund franchises despite that very flukey Super Bowl team that lost to the Bears in '86.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:13 pm 

Both the 49ers and the Ravens deserve to be in the Superbowl. I'm not sure who I'll be rooting for; I honestly like both teams.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:16 pm 

misogynisticfeminist wrote:
Sports fans from New York are dickheads anyways. They'll cheer for whoever is better just so they can annoy other people. That's why every professional sport has at least a couple different teams in New York, so if one isn't doing well, they can switch to the other in hopes of being able to trash talk others. :lol:

Completely untrue, the Islanders, Mets, and Jets have been bad for so long that most sports fans are unaware that they are even capable of being good.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:58 pm 

My predictions for the NHL season!
Eastern conference
Spoiler: show
1. Boston
2. Pittsburgh
3. Florida
4. Rangers
5. Buffalo
6. Washington
7. Ottawa
8. Philadelphia
--------------------------
9. Carolina
10. Tampa Bay
11. New Jersey
12. Toronto
13. Winnipeg
14. Montréal
15. Islanders

Western Conference
Spoiler: show
1. Chicago
2. Anaheim
3. Minnesota
4. Dallas
5. St Louis
6. San Jose
7. Los Angeles
8. Vancouver
-----------------------
9. Colorado
10. Edmonton
11. Detroit
12. Nashville
13. Colombus
14. Phoenix
15. Calgary

Trophies
Hart: Crosby
Art Ross: Crosby
Rocket Richard: Stamkos/Nash (tie)
Vezina: Theodore (no seriously, hard to say, but Lundqvist won't win it). Perhaps Hiller.
Norris: Chara
Calder: Huberdeau (he'll have a 1 pt/game season)
Lady Byng: B. Richards
Selke: Backes
Jack Adams: Claude Julien
Masterton: Selanne
Lindsay: Crosby
Messier: Alfredsson (probably his last season in the league)

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:25 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Both the 49ers and the Ravens deserve to be in the Superbowl. I'm not sure who I'll be rooting for; I honestly like both teams.

Ravens for me.

Also, anyone gonna bother with the Pro Bowl next week?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:31 pm 

East quarterfinals will be intense if it plays out the way you've predicted, Metantoine. BOS/PHI and BUF/NYR especially!

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:48 pm 

I am a huge Kings fan, therefore repeat.

They're off to a bad start though and need to get their shit together soon.

Teams from the East I think the Kings will face in the finals: Boston or Florida.

Last edited by Vintersorrow on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:49 pm 

Just like to gloat about how no team in the league looks better than my Blackhawks right now. Hossa is such a tank. Still worried about goaltending though, we WILL NOT win a Cup with Crawford.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:02 pm 

I wonder long it will be until Rick Nash gets a nice explosive bodycheck courtesy of the Eastern Conference. I lost count of how many times he tried to skate into the zone with his head down last night. Lucky for him, he burned us more often than not, but a player such as himself should know to keep his head on a swivel.

And yes, the Blackhawks look awesome right now and are my pick to win the West.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:22 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
East quarterfinals will be intense if it plays out the way you've predicted, Metantoine. BOS/PHI and BUF/NYR especially!

Yeah, but I think I made a mistake with Florida, they will not finish that high and the Habs are gonna be higher. The PK Subban issue is a distraction though, the guy obviously wants something like a 5 years/25 millions contract but does he deserve it?

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:32 pm 

You don't want to hear anything I have to say about P.K. Subban :lol:

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Still worried about goaltending though, we WILL NOT win a Cup with Crawford.

Jonathan Bernier for, say, Patrick Sharp? :D

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:49 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
You don't want to hear anything I have to say about P.K. Subban :lol:

Racist! I don't like this guy anyway, he doesn't fit the mentality of the team, I wouldn't be surprised if we trade him.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:54 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Racist! I don't like this guy anyway, he doesn't fit the mentality of the team, I wouldn't be surprised if we trade him.

:lol:

All I'm going to say is that he's "very easy to knock down".

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 136  Next