Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:08 pm 

Yeah it was an inflamed bursa sac, I mean I know what it was it was just huge and ugly looking :lol:

and yeah I think the Warriors will continue to win and move on to the finals, the way Cavs have been performing in the post-season this year is insane and makes me very excited for a part 2 between those two.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:43 pm 

The referee robbed Crystal Palace of two very probable goals in the FA Cup final by not waiting one second or so to see that they still had the ball. The underdog Crystal Palace lost 1-2 after extra time, so he really impacted the match. And in a week, the same referee (Mark Clattenburg) will be in the CL final.

In todays four big cup finals (England, Germany, Italy, France), all the underdogs lost. Boring in that respect. Although I think Sassuolo would have lost their place in next seasons EL, and since they are a smaller club, it was ultimately nice that Milan didn't win the final.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:31 am 

Saw the German cup final yesterday. Now that was frustrating!

Today it's the portuguese cup final. Braga vs Porto. I'll be rooting for Braga.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:02 am 

FUCK DON'T EVEN MENTION IT

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:22 am 

Braga won! This means Porto hasn't won anything in three years, something that hasn't happenned in decades!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:49 pm 

Personally I think the final game of the German professional football season should be the DFB Cup final, a grand finale for the season, not MSV Duisburg vs Würzburger Kickers, wtf?

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:30 pm 

Hehe, agreed.

And in England:
21 May: Crystal Palace-Manchester U (the FA Cup final)
28 May: Sheffield W-Hull (playoff final to PL)
29 May: Barnsley-Millwall (playoff final to The Championship)
30 May: Wimledon-Plymouth (playoff final to League 1)

And in Spain the cup final was two days ago, and there are still a couple of rounds left in the Segunda División followed by their playoff to the Primera División.
And in Italy, where the cup final was three days ago, there's still a preliminary playoff round, two two-legged playoff semi-finals and a two-legged playoff final to Serie A.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:49 pm 

Relegation play-offs are piss anyway, teams should be rewarded for great seasons and punished for shit seasons, no last minute punishment for the former or last minute reward for the latter.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:29 pm 

I agree regarding the systems in the cases above, where for example the team that ends third in a league may not be promoted while a team that ends lower than that may.

However, in for example Sweden, regarding the two highest leagues, two teams are directly relegated and promoted respectively, and the playoff consists of the third lowest team in the highest league vs. the third highest team in the second league. That way, a team ending on a lower place in the second league cannot end up with a better reward than a team on a higher place in the same league. Nor can a higher-placed team in the higest league end up with a worse punishment than a lower-placed team in the same league.

Another fucked up thing with the English playoffs as I understand it is that the second-placed team in the Championship does not get a trophy, while the winner of the playoff between teams 3-6 get a trophy. Ridiculous to get a trophy while finishing on a lower place in the league than a team that don't get a trophy.

I guess alot of the mentioned in the previous posts has to do with the number of teams in the league. Meaning that they want to avoid the season being over in a practical sense for many teams long before it's actually over. I'm sure the Championship, and the leagues below mentioned, would be improved if the number of teams were the same as in the PL, that is 20 instead of 24. Maybe even lower them to 18.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:55 am 

Good god, Mariners. Adam fucking Lind with 4 hits, 2 homers and 6 RBI!

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:08 am 

I'm off to the AFL tomorrow night - Sydney vs. North Melbourne. North Melbourne are undefeated this season so far so I'm hoping this will be their first. Should be a cracking game.

And then I'm going to the NRL Saturday night for St. George/Illawarra vs. North Queensland in Wollongong. North Queensland are hopefully decimated for those on State of Origin duties which means the struggling Dragons might get a win. I hope. Wins have been few for them recently but this could be a sitting duck for them if they play well.

For both games there will be cheers, jeers, beers, and lots of food. :D

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:18 am 

Hummels is gone, Gündogan likely to go, Mkhitaryan not sure yet, now Atlético's coach is publicly drooling over Sokratis, if it goes on like that there'll be nothing left of Dortmund after the transfer window.

Just a recurring thought for a Gündogan replacement, I obviously have zero football coaching experience, but I always thought Kagawa would do really well as a defensive midfielder, he's always been great at keeping control of the middle and playing precise passes to open the game. But maybe he's too playful for a role that requires complete stability.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:11 pm 

I don't want to change the subject but does anyone here watch French Open? It's sad that 3 great players had to abandon due to injuries. First it was Federer,then Nadal(Grannollers, lucky bastard) and today Tsonga while he was ahead 3 games. I also don't understand why Djokovic finished the game so quick today against Bedene? i mean he usually gives a set if his opponents are weak but today he seemed as if he was rushing.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:41 pm 

Dembo wrote:
The referee robbed Crystal Palace of two very probable goals in the FA Cup final by not waiting one second or so to see that they still had the ball. The underdog Crystal Palace lost 1-2 after extra time, so he really impacted the match. And in a week, the same referee (Mark Clattenburg) will be in the CL final.

And today he blew the whistle too early when Atletico was attacking in a good opportunity.

Furthermore, it's been said a billion times by now, but Pepe is a disgusting player who the very overrated referee Clattenburg should have booked twice for simulating/exaggerating but only booked once for something else.

Also suspected offside on Real's goal, but that's obviously the linesman's responsibility rather than Clattenburg's.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:42 pm 

I hope this is a wake up call for Simeone to change that god awful style. Atletico could have easily won the game if they played like they did since the start of the game. Shame on Madrid for conforming with just one goal, but overall deserved win because of their better performance during the tournament.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:37 am 

Oh my god, Mariners. Still you find new and inventive ways to hurt me. http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4 ... _2500K.mp4

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:48 am 

First rumour, Bayern want Leroy Sané, next rumour, Bayern want Mesut Özil, maybe they'll get all and have 40 midfielders next season.

Though years of experience have taught us that Bayern fares best when they have most of the German national team in their team.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:28 am 

Hey Queenslanders...go the Blues!!

We've only won one series in the last decade...but I have a good feeling about tonight's State of Origin. Let's hope I'm not severely disappointed!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:48 pm 

So after like a year of wondering, the rumours finally came true: Tim Wiese, former keeper of Werder Bremen, has been signed by WWE.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:19 pm 

Why does a goalkeeper need to be that big? This is so funny, though. :lol:

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:11 pm 

He hit the gym because he was getting the blues about his career declining, as in becoming second keeper after his transfer to Hoffenheim.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:47 pm 

Huh, interesting. Maybe I'll start watching WWE again. But, I won't get my hopes up because WWE sucks and all their characters have cheesy personas.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:12 pm 

A Werder Bremen keeper will be a new low even for WWE. :lol:

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:25 pm 

Why do that when they can take Victor Valdes? He's done fuck all at Manchester United anyway, so WWE might as well make use of him. :lol:

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:11 am 

To be honest it would be the perfect second career for Zlatan.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:54 pm 

Or maybe Zlatan can act in martial arts movies like Bruce Lee...

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:46 pm 

He does look a bit like Steven Seagal.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:32 pm 

NHL legend Gordie Howe has passed at 88. RIP Mr. Hockey.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:47 am 

Wow Bolivia got absolutely bull-crapped here. Worst handball call ever! Any moron can see that Eguino is turning away from the shot and trying to tuck his behind his body - to avoid handball!

http://nesn.com/2016/06/chile-vs-bolivi ... -decision/
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:17 pm 

That's the thing about football. It involves human error decisions, since there is no replays like in other sports. Sometimes it plays in your favor, sometimes it doesn't, but there is a tendency to favor the team with more 'history' so to speak.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:03 pm 

I've never quite got the whole "is it handball or isn't it" as I don't watch that much European football/soccer, but can a player legally hit a ball with his shoulder? I've seen handball calls if the ball contacts the upper arm just below the shoulder. I didn't see the call in question in the Bolivia game so I obviously can't judge.

Here in the States, the NBA finals are wrapping up, and game 4 of the finals was pretty exciting, back and forth, and intense. I want Golden State to pull it out because, well, I grew up rooting for the Warriors, through all those years of Chicago and LA Lakers dynasties, and the Warriors had never been good at all, until very recently.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:44 pm 

Oxenkiller, the shoulders are off-limits too and can be called as handball. The foul is called when the player moves his arm toward the ball deliberately, or for accidental contact where the arm is considered to be in an "unnatural position" away from the body.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:08 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
Oxenkiller, the shoulders are off-limits too and can be called as handball. The foul is called when the player moves his arm toward the ball deliberately, or for accidental contact where the arm is considered to be in an "unnatural position" away from the body.

Shoulders are not handball.

I would add that referees sometimes also takes into account whether there was a realistic chance to avoid being hit on the arms/hands given the distance from which the ball was shot/passed. So if hte ball hits an arm outside of the body it's not uncommon to be allowed if for example the player with the ball chipped it up on the arm very quickly from a very close distance. So yeah, there's a couple of interpretations going on in a handball situation.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:26 pm 

Historic night for my national team defeating and eliminating Brazil from the Copa America. Handball controversy included.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:15 am 

It's been the offseason for like a day and the Hawks already started their yearly roster hemorrhage. Paradoxically, it's kind of a good problem to have since we're constantly successful and always in the running for the championship and part of the reason we keep dumping everybody is because we wind up with great young guys out of nowhere because our development program is so good apparently, but it's still crazy how many salary cap casualties we've had since we got good ~2009. I'm glad we were finally, finally able to dump Bickell though, since his contract is basically the one and only thing that I think the team fucked up during this run. You don't give a normally mediocre and inconsistent player a big contract after one hot offseason. The problem was we had to lose Teravainan at the same time, which is a total bummer. It's all to keep Panarin I know, because we don't want to have to let go of him like we did with Saad, but it's a painful process.

With Toews and Kane still in their prime, but Hossa being ancient and Keith, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson getting near the point where they start to naturally decline, I say we've only got another year or two of being legitimate contenders before we become the Capitals (a few undeniable superstars but no supporting cast). Maybe we can strike gold on our young guys some more like we did with Saad and Panarin, but the era is closer to the end than the beginning at this point.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:30 am 

For the 2-3 people here following the AFL, it looks like the top 8 has already been established and we're only half-way through the season. There's two wins plus percentage between 8th (Adelaide) and 9th (Port Adelaide). Of course teams can come good and drop away, but it seems like September is set.

What isn't known is how the top 8 will be shuffled, with the top 4 all on 40 points. I think North Melbourne are slipping after starting 9-0, and Geelong are really showing why they're a team to be feared. Sydney (my team!) are sitting pretty but the loss of Tippett for two months will put some strain on them. And then teams like Greater Western Sydney and the Western Bulldogs could come good and string many wins together. It'll be an interesting second half of the season.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:43 am 

Heartbreaking for Toyota #5 at Le Mans leading after 23 hours and 56 minutes and then a turbo failure (apparently) so they don't even get on the podium. Fucking shitty luck.

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:04 pm 

wrathchild_88 wrote:
Heartbreaking for Toyota #5 at Le Mans leading after 23 hours and 56 minutes and then a turbo failure (apparently) so they don't even get on the podium. Fucking shitty luck.

The rules seriously suck. I understand the logic behind it (winning car ought to take the checkered flag), but it's entirely wrong that they can have the second highest lap count and then not be classified. Gutted for Toyota because they never have any luck, and also for Anthony Davidson, Kazuki Nakajima and Sebastien Buemi because they really deserved to win. All three of them have been dogged by bad luck throughout their careers, but this is just a whole new level.

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:07 pm 

While it completely sucks on this occasion, I think the rules are fine. You've got to finish! I believe it's the same for all the other WEC races and other 24h races anyway (I am prepared to be told I'm wrong). But I wonder if they would have got 2nd if Nakajima had stopped before the line and then crawled across it after the #2 finished the race...

I turned over to the F1 as soon as that group of 3 category leaders crossed the line, I couldn't bear to watch the podium or anything. The result just felt 'wrong'. That's not to say that Porsche didn't do a good job or anything, but you know. I really feel for Toyota. It's actually made me somewhat downbeat this afternoon.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:46 pm 

Who's going to watch the NBA Finals tonight? Those Warriors are looking mighty good, but the Cavaliers could win.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111 ... 136  Next