Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:41 am 

If you are into the syncs, you are supposed to be able to sync Echos with the final act in 2001. You can also download 2001: A Pink Floyd Odyssey which is the whole movie synced to Pink Floyd.

yogibear
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:28 pm 

i like the floyd but never got into the piper era stuff with Syd. the ones i do like are the live albums from umma gumma and then meddle but also, dark side, animals and wish you were here. wish you were here and meddle are my two faves from PF. the stuff after Roger left is still floyd but the songs are more one dimensional since David did most of the writing of thsoe albums.

TyranTReX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:33 pm 

For me Pink Floyd has always been about The Wall and The Division Bell, has anyone seen The Wall movie?!

Hold on, has anyone seen The Wall movie on DRUGS?!?!

Shit.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:34 pm 

TyranTReX wrote:
For me Pink Floyd has always been about The Wall and The Division Bell, has anyone seen The Wall movie?!

Shit.

That's why that movie is overrated. because it relies on the use of drugs. And even then, it doesn't seem all that trippy. I can find better movies to trip out on if I was so inclined. 2001:A Space Odyssey for example or better yet a video game like MK2 when you can juke a "Babality".

TyranTReX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:42 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
TyranTReX wrote:

Shit.

That's why that movie is overrated. because it relies on the use of drugs. And even then, it doesn't seem all that trippy. I can find better movies to trip out on if I was so inclined. 2001:A Space Odyssey for example or better yet a video game like MK2 when you can juke a "Babality".

Depends on the drug, do you like mushrooms? But with or without drugs, you still have to appreciate the artistic integrity of the film. It was still a movie meant to convey a message, not just made to trip you out. The first time I saw it I was sober, and it still blew my mind.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:43 pm 

No, I don't 'shroom. I don't even like weed. I'm just a beer drinking guy but I do enjoy the sensational experience of Floyd music.

TyranTReX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:51 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
No, I don't 'shroom. I don't even like weed. I'm just a beer drinking guy but I do enjoy the sensational experience of Floyd music.

Well to each his own, my friend. Pink Floyd definitely goes down in music history for their influence and effect on the world, either way.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:52 pm 

I still am curious about their soundtrack albums like More and Obscured By Clouds.

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:17 am 

I really like More and Obscured by Clouds. If you only like Dark Side and what came after, you might be disappointed, but if you like a lot of their other pre-Darkside material, you should definitely pick up those discs at some point. Check out some of the songs on YouTube or something and see what you think. Cirrus Minor, Ibiza Bar, Cymbaline, and Green is the Colour from More are great songs and on Obscured by Clouds, Mudmen, the title track, and Childhood's End are good ones to check out.

Magnus_Robot_Fighter
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:01 pm 

I'm pretty sure the only reason younger people care about this band is due to nostalgia because when they first became interested in music they looked into their parents' cd collection and found Pink Floyd. Let's be honest, PF isn't exactly relevant anymore.

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:41 am 

Yes, and we only listen to Deep Purple, Black Sabbath et al. because our daddies used to be fans.

Don't be so asinine.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:56 am 

Magnus_Robot_Fighter wrote:
I'm pretty sure the only reason younger people care about this band is due to nostalgia because when they first became interested in music they looked into their parents' cd collection and found Pink Floyd. Let's be honest, PF isn't exactly relevant anymore.

What's relevant or irrelevant in the context of music? There's only one consideration: quality and Floyd has it in spades. Whether you perceive this quality is beside the point. Extending your logic, youngsters shouldn't know that Mozart existed simply because he is not alive, let alone making music in the present day.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4