Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Seymour
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:23 pm 

Everyone has talked to a metal hater(gangsta, pop-rock prep, etc.) that has made just a really ignorant remark about how bad they think metal is. Post your worst expeiences here and please refrain from the generic "metal is just noise and screaming" even though I'm sure we could all go on for hours on that. I live in a small town where people think that rap and hip-hop is the best thinng on earth. They try to be ganster but the whole town is pretty much rich. Believe me, I have heard so many stupid comments, it's not even funny.

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:27 pm 

I don't get pissed off. I usually have shit to say about their favorite music too.

Oh, and one of my fav's in in my sig.

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:32 pm 

People who make stupid comments about metal 10 times out of 10 aren't familiar with the breadth and depth of metal. In fact, I've realized that I'm often more knowledgeable on my critic's preferred genre than they are.

Ignore them.

I had a formerly close friend (the falling out was not metal related, I might add) tell me that my opinion on music is irrelevant because I like music that goes *insert annoying half-growl and vocalized chugga chug riffs*. Too bad metal makes up only approximately 60% of what I like and that some of my favorite bands are decidedly not metal.

SpiritOfTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:38 pm 

One of my friends often takes digs at metal. He frequently says "it all sounds the same". However I constantly obliterate that argument by telling him to listen to Judas Priest, Hammerfall, Korpiklaani, 1349, Napalm Death, Nile, Kreator and Ahab and then to come back and try that line of argument again.

I also get the, generic as already mentioned "How can you listen to this, it's just noise!?". I then state that music at it's simplest definition is "just noise".

Ah cretins...no matter how much you destroy their arguments they never let you win. I've gotten to the point where I just say "whatever dude" and shrug my shoulders now haha

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:50 pm 

SpiritOfTheForest wrote:
Ah cretins...no matter how much you destroy their arguments they never let you win. I've gotten to the point where I just say "whatever dude" and shrug my shoulders now haha

I'm glad you've reached a state where you don't care.

Win? There is no winning. Nothing to be won.

I don't see why anyone would bother with people having anti-metal remarks. If your bond with the music is strong enough then you wouldn't care.

There is no need to prove anything to non-metal fans because they are generally ignorant and thus highly biased against the genre

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:53 pm 

It's still fun to waste a few words on them now and then. There's no point and nothing to win out of blowing up stuff with explosives and firearms (contests and war aside), that doesn't mean it isnt fun as hell anyway.
Hehe, foreskins.

MaliciousAwesome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:53 pm 

I have a friend who constantly tries to argue with me about metal. He doesn't listen to metal and usually just dismisses any band I tell him about from their name.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:56 pm 

Crick wrote:
It's still fun to waste a few words on them now and then. There's no point and nothing to win out of blowing up stuff with explosives and firearms (contests and war aside), that doesn't mean it isnt fun as hell anyway.

Well, it is fun indeed to mock such people ;-)

"We are better than you".

Us and them.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

warzarmz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:00 am 

I really don't care about most negative comments directed at metal I hear, but I don't get how most hip-hop/rap listeners think that most of the stuff I listen to is "screamo" or "emo".... I just can't see how they could come to that conclusion, its not like I dress "emo", I dress like a normal person haha.

I've also heard the obvious comments like "its all the same, and they all talk about the same shit". Whenever I hear comments like that, I tell them "Ok remember that statement, and go listen to Modern Rap, and tell me it all doesn't sound the same, and all have the same lyrical themes." I'm referring to mainstream rap/hip-hop of course.

Eurnonymous on Endgame Album Art: wrote:
maybe all of those inmates are going to be saved by Jesus.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:01 am 

I've talked to lots of people that think metal is talentless screaming and yelling. And even someone said that metal is the same as screamo.

Last.fm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.