Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Naedra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:49 am 

I just remembered something, my dad told me that a massive build up of wax can cause ringing in the ears (go to the doctors and get your ears syringed, don't worry it's not as brutal as it sounds, they spray a jet of water down your ears or something like that).

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:57 am 

As someone who has experienced that first hand, it is true. If your ears are majorly blocked, they'll ring like crazy to the point of it being unbearable.

The "syringing" is exactly what Naedra said, a jet of water. The doctor I went to used some small hand pump thing rather than a syringe. :) It leans more towards pleasant than uncomfortable.

It is major blockage that causes it though, generally by the time they're ringing, you won't be hearing much, if anything, from the blocked ear. It sucks major, major balls.

Now all sing along with me, SUBMIT! SUBMIT TO SAAAAAATAN! Love Carpathian Forest. :)

Fallen33
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:08 am 

Another thing to help clear up ear-wax blockage is using some ear candles. They're really cheap and you can get them at most health/vitamin stores.

They're like a long tube and you light one end on fire and stick the other end in your ear canal and it just sucks a massive amount of earwax out of your ears. It ridiculous how good they work.

Earthcubed
Peregrinus sine aetate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:32 am 

There are various ear wax kits one can procure from drug stores as well. Most I've seen involve some sort of acidic substance you let sit in your ear for a few minutes and then either suck out or spray out with water; if it's a good brand the wax will be melted away quite a bit. I don't remember the name of the best one I've used (some don't work at all), but you'll know it's working if you hear this crackling/bubbling noise in your ear when the liquid is in it---that's the wax melting.

As far as doctor techniques go, I've had three different things done on me. The least unpleasant was a mix of the "syringe" technique described earlier and the acidic thing: the doctor lightly shot a mixture of warm water and peroxide into my ear. The "syringe" thing is rather uncomfortable: imagine really hot water being shot through a cannon into your ear, continuously, until the wax comes out. Not cool.

The worst is a small "medical vacuum." Yes, it's exactly what it sounds like, and it's fucking gay.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:43 am 

Bezerko wrote:
The "syringing" is exactly what Naedra said, a jet of water. The doctor I went to used some small hand pump thing rather than a syringe. :) It leans more towards pleasant than uncomfortable.

I've had this done twice or three times. It works. It's a slight discomfort, but worth it, for obvious reasons. Because this had to be done several times, I no longer use cotton buds, or Q-tips, anymore. I get a tissue or some paper on a roll and clean my ears that way.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:06 pm 

definitely get ear plugs. There are a lot of different kinds, but the regular foam ones from the drug store or hardware store work well.

They drown out the white noise and feedback, which for me makes the music sound better. I usually don't even have a problem hearing cymbals or other high notes with them in.

I use earplug when I'm around loud machinery, or mowing my lawn, or even just vacuuming the house.

It's worth it. I have tinnitus, which can be very irritating when I'm trying to sleep.

I don't know what absolute silence sounds like.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2