Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:38 am 

A thread about Dubai exclusively. Not the Middle East or Islam.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:39 am 

Quote:
I cannot understand how in today's civilization there can be a theocracy that supresses all the personal freedoms an individual may have, how a religious order can be so bent on violence and intolerance towards anything that doesn't share their views, and just how inhumane, irrational and backwards their ways are.

That's an exageration. Yes, Islam is a suppresive (is that a word? :lol:) religion but not as anti freedom as people think it is. It all depends on which side of Islam you were made to face, or in the case of the muslims, which side of Islam they were brought up on.

Irrational ways, yes. Backwards, well, it depends from country to country. All muslims aren't violent, but yes they are intolerant. Even the "enlightened moderates" actually have extreme views concerning other religions. Most muslims are arrogant and believe Islam is the trve way of life, and this is probably the only thing common between the different sects of Islam.

Last edited by Wet Pussy on Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:40 am 

Since the OP has finally intervened, I will continue this with you in a PM conversation if you wish, UnserHeiligeTod.

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:45 am 

Fine.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:01 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
I know Dubai very well as I was practically stationed there on a deployment some years ago.
I stopped there 3 times last summer. I was stationed on the USS Enterprise. It was extremely hot...indescribably hot, but it was also the most beautiful place I've ever seen, and one of the cleanest as well. Most of the people were friendly, and the architecture was amazing. I also enjoyed the Irish Village there :)

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:08 pm 

Judging from all this talk about extreme heat, I doubt I'll visit Dubai, ever. There's enough heat in Australia as it is, so my idea of a holiday does not involve "more heat". Canada - that's where it's at, I imagine. A relatively cool to cold climate, breathtaking scenery, lovely people, intriguing cultures, and need I mention the scenery again? Can't wait to go there, some day. As for Dubai, I suppose I'll have to content myself with admiring photos of the buildings. :|
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:35 am 

RageW wrote:
It would be really sad that Dubai spends all that money in buildings, when there are some pretty poor people living there...if the shit they build wasn't so fucking AWESOME.

What's that island that looks like a palm, by the way?

What are you talking about? That place is one of the wealthiest per capita nations on earth. As I stated above, I have been to Dubai many times and there are few to none impoverished communites there. That place is made of money. The average cars driven down the streets were full size custom Toyota land cruisers or Mercedes Benz's. It was not uncommon to see a Ferrari parked in the lot of a hotel or golf course just parked there in a non valet fashion.
The only sizeable group of people there who weren't well off were Pakistani guest workers in the service industry or construction labor. Dubai is a place of the haves and have nots and the haves from there were mostly citizens. There was little to no working class citizens.

Koffee_Metal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:28 pm 

Being a local citizen (and the only local female metalhead), I would say Dubai is pretty fuckin' awesome when it comes to buildings and architecture (Even though most of them are owned by westerners and foreigners, and NOT by Arabs).
Its also pretty open to western culture, despite other countries in the middle east. I mean, the fact that Iron Maiden played here alone makes it pretty awesome!!

MescalineSunrise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:30 pm 

Well, this is interesting. A thread about the city where I've lived for the past 10 years =p

To be honest, I dislike Dubai with a passion. It's a superficial, materialistic, hypocritical city with the same kind of people. It's just a bubble waiting to burst.

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:01 pm 

Dubai would be cool to see, but I must agree with MescalineSunrise, it is superficial and materialistic.

Terminal 3 looks pretty cool though:

http://www.explorerpublishing.com/featu ... erminal-3/

I have had successful trades/sales with:
vegnsanity, DMR, TooHuman, turboeye, minionofkyuss and teuti

Scipio333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:48 am 

LindisfarneAnno793 wrote:
Judging from all this talk about extreme heat, I doubt I'll visit Dubai, ever. There's enough heat in Australia as it is, so my idea of a holiday does not involve "more heat". Canada - that's where it's at, I imagine. A relatively cool to cold climate, breathtaking scenery, lovely people, intriguing cultures, and need I mention the scenery again? Can't wait to go there, some day. As for Dubai, I suppose I'll have to content myself with admiring photos of the buildings. :|

Sure its incredibly hot out there, but pretty much everywhere is air conditioned, some restaurants even incorporate air conditions in the outdoor settings. As for outdoor activities, practicing them anytime other than November - February would be close to impossible

MescalineSunrise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:20 am 

Scipio333 wrote:
LindisfarneAnno793 wrote:

Sure its incredibly hot out there, but pretty much everywhere is air conditioned, some restaurants even incorporate air conditions in the outdoor settings. As for outdoor activities, practicing them anytime other than November - February would be close to impossible

Dubai/UAE is incredibly hot. We play basketball at school outdoors and we can hardly stand after 15-20 minutes. And it's almost November!!

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:42 pm 

The heat index when I was there last summer was 135 Farenheit. It was ungodly. I had never felt anything over about 115 before, and it's a BIG difference. Despite that, it was an awesome place to visit. Ski Dubai was great. I didn't actually ski, but seeing as I've hardly seen any snow in my lifetime, it was cool to look at, and in the middle east none the less

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2