Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EntilZha
Retired

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 2222
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:06 am 
 

Image
Image

Seriously, all those weird projects of those crazy Arabs...
_________________
Join my awesome last.fm groups: -1- / -2- / -3-

Top
 Profile  
marktheviktor
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:41 am
Posts: 6885
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:11 am 
 

I know Dubai very well as I was practically stationed there on a deployment some years ago. It has grown alot commercially but there is very little to do there if you don't have assloads of money to dump into as a rich man's haven of tourism. That tallest in the world structure was only a in the planning stages when I was there.

Top
 Profile  
LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:09 am
Posts: 447
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:52 am 
 

Dubai fascinates me, primarily because of their fantastic and impressive architectural projects. Beautiful stuff, really. It's a bit depressing, though, knowing how expensive everything is there, and comparing that hefty price tag to my utter lack of funds at present. But then, I'm only 20 - still have my life ahead of me. I definitely want to visit Dubai at some point before I die.

Edit: If there is one thing I am a sucker for, it is amazing architecture, and Dubai is an architectural candystore:

Image

Image

Image

Amazing.

Edit 2: And then there's that underwater hotel they've been planning to construct off the coast of Dubai.

Image

:shock: Dubai = awesome.
_________________
Our clinic raided by the authorities
Littered with corpses on all thirteen stories
We toiled long in the laboratories
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

Top
 Profile  
Scipio333
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:54 pm
Posts: 100
Location: Syria
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:09 am 
 

Cool, a thread about Dubai, I grew up there (not a UAE national though), great place. It also has one the most prominent rock/metal festivals in the middle east, Dubai Desert Rock (which is the first concert I ever attended).

If any body wants any insight on the catalyst behind all that development, there is an interview on 60 minutes with the Amir of Dubai, Sheikh Muhammad bin Rashid Al Maktoum, it is widely available on youtube

Top
 Profile  
Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:13 pm
Posts: 4323
Location: Pakistan
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:22 am 
 

Many of my relatives live in Dubai, but I haven't visited it yet. Maybe I will in the next 100 years or so.
_________________
Previously MegaHassan
Paki thvg music, My Extreme Metal/Punk Label

Top
 Profile  
Viral
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:04 am
Posts: 1891
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:53 pm 
 

The place really is a marvel of architecture. I think Dubai is unrivaled in the world in terms of money spent on tourist attractions and the overall construction of the place.

Top
 Profile  
RageW
Marisa's Harlot

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:44 am
Posts: 839
Location: Colombia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:21 pm 
 

It would be really sad that Dubai spends all that money in buildings, when there are some pretty poor people living there...if the shit they build wasn't so fucking AWESOME.

What's that island that looks like a palm, by the way?
_________________
Prajna: heavy/power/speed metal.
Check out my YouTube channel where I upload all of my other terrible music, such as a black metal + reggaeton mix.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 18590
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:24 pm 
 

Oh man, now I want to see all that stuff in person.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Curse of the Zodiac

Top
 Profile  
Scipio333
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:54 pm
Posts: 100
Location: Syria
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:04 pm 
 

RageW wrote:
What's that island that looks like a palm, by the way?


The Palm Islands, Man made islands, containing both commercial and residential structures
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_islands

Top
 Profile  
Vook
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:20 am
Posts: 650
Location: Serbia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:21 am 
 

Image

What happened to this marvel? Is it constructed yet?

Top
 Profile  
Bash
Talking Meat

Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:06 am
Posts: 1054
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:24 am 
 

Another picture of those artificial islands, I just can't get over how cool they are.

Image

Top
 Profile  
Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:50 am
Posts: 4805
Location: Venestraya
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:24 am 
 

Hell no, it was only recently DESIGNED, construction hasn't even started yet (as far as I know, it may have just commenced, though I doubt it).

Top
 Profile  
Vook
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:20 am
Posts: 650
Location: Serbia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:31 am 
 

I saw it on tv recently (few weeks ago), and they were discussing it's design, technology and all that, and they mentioned that each floor will be constructed in Italy and transported to Dubai, so I thought they already begun.

Top
 Profile  
Expedience
Veteran

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:22 am
Posts: 3610
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:43 am 
 

These Arabs are crazy

Top
 Profile  
DisembowelMe
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:59 am
Posts: 522
Location: Iceland
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:48 am 
 

http://www.escapeartist.com/efam/94/art ... Dubai.html

I remember seeing this a few months ago. Any truths in this?

Top
 Profile  
UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:45 pm
Posts: 1057
Location: Colombia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:05 am 
 

I'm pretty sure every single thing mentioned there is true. Architecture my ass, Middle East is the Middle East.
_________________
http://www.lastfm.com/user/Gravskog

Top
 Profile  
LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:09 am
Posts: 447
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:04 am 
 

Image

A computer-generated rendering of how the Burj Dubai will look when it is complete. It is currently the tallest building in the world, and it is not even complete yet. Here's where the complete structure will stand relative to other contenders.

Image

Say what you want about Dubai - this structure is amazing.
_________________
Our clinic raided by the authorities
Littered with corpses on all thirteen stories
We toiled long in the laboratories
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

Top
 Profile  
rexxz
Retired

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:45 pm
Posts: 8680
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:05 am 
 

Would be amusing if a Jew flew a plane into it.

Top
 Profile  
LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:09 am
Posts: 447
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:08 am 
 

rexxz wrote:
Would be amusing if a Jew flew a plane into it.


It would definitely be something to see a plane bring that baby down, I have to admit. If it collapsed vertically, for a while it would look like the recoiling of a massive artillery weapon after firing into space.
_________________
Our clinic raided by the authorities
Littered with corpses on all thirteen stories
We toiled long in the laboratories
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

Top
 Profile  
Viral
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:04 am
Posts: 1891
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:09 am 
 

UnserHeiligeTod wrote:
I'm pretty sure every single thing mentioned there is true. Architecture my ass, Middle East is the Middle East.

And Colombia is Colombia...a nation whose sole purpose is to export cocaine.

Top
 Profile  
UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:45 pm
Posts: 1057
Location: Colombia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:15 am 
 

Still better than the Middle East.
_________________
http://www.lastfm.com/user/Gravskog

Top
 Profile  
Viral
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:04 am
Posts: 1891
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:20 am 
 

UnserHeiligeTod wrote:
Still better than the Middle East.

I'm sure it is. I'm also you sure you've had the privelage of travelling there before? Oh wait...a lot of Colombians are dirt poor and can't afford to go abroad and usually end up in the drug business or end up illegally crossing the border up north in order to end up working in the kitchen of some shitty restaurant that claims to be authentic (insert national cuisine here) food with 20 others of your ilk.


Last edited by Viral on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Viral
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:04 am
Posts: 1891
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:24 am 
 

DisembowelMe wrote:
http://www.escapeartist.com/efam/94/art_20_Reasons_Not_Move_to_Dubai.html

I remember seeing this a few months ago. Any truths in this?

As stated before, life is only good there if you're an ethnic Arab or a rich foreigner there on vacation/business.

Somwhat off topic, I have a friend who lives there because he was offered a job there and is doing very well for himself. His house is paid for by the government, most of his bills are taken care of (also by the government) and makes an annual income of several hundred k (USD) per year. He's already thinking of getting a new job because he thinks his current one doesn't pay enough. :lol:

Top
 Profile  
UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:45 pm
Posts: 1057
Location: Colombia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:27 am 
 

Viral wrote:
I'm also you sure you've had the privelage of travelling there before? Oh wait...a lot of Colombians are dirt poor and can't afford to go abroad and usually end up in the drug business or end up illegally crossing the border up north in order to end up working in the kitchen of some shitty restaurant that claims to be authentic (insert national cuisine here) food with 20 others of your ilk.


Yeah, I'm sure it is. Not that I care much though. Of course, all of that pales in comparison to being a Muslim in the backwater shitholes that those countries are. If you so ardent believe in and defend your ethnicity and culture, why are you in the rich and comfortable Canada? You know as well as I that nothing you say changes the fact that the Middle East is still in a far worse condition that Colombia or any place in South America will ever be.
_________________
http://www.lastfm.com/user/Gravskog


Last edited by UnserHeiligeTod on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top
 Profile  
LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:09 am
Posts: 447
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:31 am 
 

Viral wrote:
Somwhat off topic, I have a friend who lives there because he was offered a job there and is doing very well for himself. His house is paid for by the government, most of his bills are taken care of (also by the government) and makes an annual income of several hundred k (USD) per year. He's already thinking of getting a new job because he thinks his current one doesn't pay enough. :lol:


Fuck. What's your friend's job?
_________________
Our clinic raided by the authorities
Littered with corpses on all thirteen stories
We toiled long in the laboratories
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

Top
 Profile  
caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:29 pm
Posts: 6075
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:31 am 
 

Can we just agree that
a) Colombia sucks, but they're great at selling drugs
and
b) The Middle East is equally bad, but Dubai has good architecture

?

On a serious note this stuff is pretty cool. This is definitely a good argument against democracy; people just want to spend money on boring stuff (waaah hospitals/education), whereas this sheikh dude knows where it's at.

Also:

Quote:
This country prides itself so much on its glitz and glamour that it put a picture of its 7-star hotel on the license plate. Yet, the public toilets in the king-of-bling Gold Souk district are holes in the ground with no toilet paper or soap. Hoses to rinse your nether regions, however, are provided. This results in a mass of water on the floor that you must stand in to pee. Try squatting without touching anything and keeping your pants from touching anything either. Oh yeah. It’s 120 degrees in there too.
:lol: :lol:
_________________
http://www.pozible.com/project/177604 <-- got a crowdfunder thing going for an album I'm doing. Pre-order something!

Top
 Profile  
UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:45 pm
Posts: 1057
Location: Colombia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:36 am 
 

caspian wrote:
Can we just agree that
a) Colombia sucks, but they're great at selling drugs
and
b) The Middle East is equally bad, but Dubai has good architecture

Hey, compared to fundamentalism, Jihad, misogyny, theocracy and total reactionism drugs can't be that bad can they?
_________________
http://www.lastfm.com/user/Gravskog

Top
 Profile  
LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:09 am
Posts: 447
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:39 am 
 

caspian wrote:
On a serious note this stuff is pretty cool. This is definitely a good argument against democracy; people just want to spend money on boring stuff (waaah hospitals/education), whereas this sheikh dude knows where it's at.

:lol:

caspian wrote:
That site wrote:
Yet, the public toilets in the king-of-bling Gold Souk district are holes in the ground with no toilet paper or soap. Hoses to rinse your nether regions, however, are provided. This results in a mass of water on the floor that you must stand in to pee. Try squatting without touching anything and keeping your pants from touching anything either.
:lol: :lol:


Yes, having to squat in a wet compartment smelling of piss and shit, and then crap into a hole in the ground, really takes the satisfaction out of the glorious ritual that is taking a dump. This is the same in Malaysia, a country in which I have holidayed many times. More often than not, the average public toilet is steamy and smells like a fucking sewer. In the worse cases, there's actually piss all over the floors and shit on the walls (not an exaggeration at all). Inside each toilet stall is a porcelain lined hole in the ground (porcelain if you're lucky) plus a bucket and a hose (to "clean up" in the absence of a flushing mechanism). There should be signs outside each and every toilet with the words "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here".
_________________
Our clinic raided by the authorities
Littered with corpses on all thirteen stories
We toiled long in the laboratories
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

Top
 Profile  
Viral
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:04 am
Posts: 1891
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:54 am 
 

UnserHeiligeTod wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure it is. Not that I care much though. Of course, all of that pales in comparison to being a Muslim in the backwater shitholes that those countries are. If you so ardent believe in and defend your ethnicity and culture, why are you in the rich and comfortable Canada? You know as well as I that nothing you say changes the fact that the Middle East is still in a far worse condition that Colombia or any place in South America will ever be.

Coming from a person who's never been to the region, let alone is so ignorant about what is there other than what he sees on the news...how can you compare and come to such a conclusion? I've been to Brazil...very beautiful beaches and tourist attractions. But I know for a fact, that outside of the resorts, a shitload of people live in wretched poverty. Some can't even afford to clothe themselves and have to resort to scrounging through municipal dumps in order to find something they could use/sell. Now I haven't been to other South American countries, but I think the situation is very similar in neighbouring countries (the degrees of poverty will most likely differ from nation to nation). While there is poverty in the Middle East (Iraq and Afghanistan having the worst cases of it), the majority of the people there can at least afford to eat and clothe themselves and go about their daily lives (albeit under the threat of numerous potential conflicts that could break out at any moment between the seculars and extremists).

Secondly, a lot of people of Mid East descent (Iranians especially) move here to escape the political regimes that are in power in their homelands. With the exception of Somalians, Ethiopians, Sudanese, etc. (even though they're African countries, a lot of people consider them to be part of the general region), few move here as refugees or because of poverty. And as evidenced by the success many of us encounter here, we do quite well for ourselves. Yes, Canada is quite a rich country and contains an almost infinite supply of resources (which is why in the next couple of years the country's economy will prosper greatly as more countries will begin to take notice of this and begin investing heavily here), but when did I ever imply that where I come from was better or much worse than where I currently reside? Trust me, if you and your family had the oppurtunity to move here...you would all over it like bees on honey. I'm merely stating that the region is not the shithole you perceive it to be...and which your country actually is for the most part.

And lastly, in regards to your comment about the Middle East being in worse condition than Colombia...is that why the Royal Family of Saudi Arabia can afford to buy your entire country...or continent for that matter? Is that why the Middle East has some of the greatest engineering and architectural marvels in the world? Is that why a lot of us are massively successful business owners who usually end up having people like yours working for us? Is that why the Middle East currently has the United States by its balls in the oil game? No. As far as I'm concerned, the Middle East is far from being the toilet that the rest of the world shits in.

Top
 Profile  
Viral
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:04 am
Posts: 1891
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:07 am 
 

UnserHeiligeTod wrote:
caspian wrote:
Can we just agree that
a) Colombia sucks, but they're great at selling drugs
and
b) The Middle East is equally bad, but Dubai has good architecture

Hey, compared to fundamentalism, Jihad, misogyny, theocracy and total reactionism drugs can't be that bad can they?

Yes it can. The drug empire and the profits extracted from it that are funneled to people even with government status is possibly one of the greatest dangers to societies around the world. How many jihads do you see happening around the world on a daily basis? Compare that to all the people that getting killed as a result of a drug deal gone sour or just innocent people caught in the crossfire between rival gangs who deal that shit and tell me Islam is a greater threat to the world. I don't agree with radical Islam, but there's no way you can argue that drugs are the lesser of the two evils.

Top
 Profile  
caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:29 pm
Posts: 6075
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:10 am 
 

You can argue that quite easily, but that's for another thread.

"drugs don't fly planes into buildings"
_________________
http://www.pozible.com/project/177604 <-- got a crowdfunder thing going for an album I'm doing. Pre-order something!

Top
 Profile  
Viral
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:04 am
Posts: 1891
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:15 am 
 

caspian wrote:
You can argue that quite easily, but that's for another thread.

"drugs don't fly planes into buildings"

One incident isn't grounds enough to argue that it actually IS the bigger problem in the world. But yes, let's not derail this thread any further.

Top
 Profile  
Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:13 pm
Posts: 4323
Location: Pakistan
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:18 am 
 

The drug problem can be dealt with. But things like Misogyny, Jihad etc cannot be because Muslims are too stubborn to realize their hadith and sunnat are outdated and were made for a certain time period. The longer they hold on to these traditions, the worse it will become. For example, the hijab law was made to protect women in Arabia during muhammad's time. Now its a symbol of male dominance over women, which is totally wrong.

EDIT: Just read Viral's post. Sorry for derailing this thread further. :(
_________________
Previously MegaHassan
Paki thvg music, My Extreme Metal/Punk Label

Top
 Profile  
Vrede
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:07 pm
Posts: 752
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:23 am 
 

That picture of the planned under water hotel is nothing but impressive. It looks like some freaking alien battleship.
_________________
rexxz wrote:
Crick wrote:
Except, y'know, people don't just go around jerking off and rubbing random erogenous zones of their bodies in public.

Speak for yourself.

Top
 Profile  
Viral
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:04 am
Posts: 1891
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:25 am 
 

MegaHassan wrote:
The drug problem can be dealt with. But things like Misogyny, Jihad etc cannot be because Muslims are too stubborn to realize their hadith and sunnat are outdated and were made for a certain time period. The longer they hold on to these traditions, the worse it will become. For example, the hijab law was made to protect women in Arabia during muhammad's time. Now its a symbol of male dominance over women, which is totally wrong.

EDIT: Just read Viral's post. Sorry for derailing this thread further. :(

I am not doubting that Islam in many ways has its flaws. But that was not the original argument that was made on the behalf of UnserHeiligeTod. He stated that life in general in the Middle East is far worse than anywhere else in the world. But doing some simple research will show that there are worst places in the world in terms of overall living conditions. If I was given a choice between the two, I'd rather live in a society where I'm fed, given a proper change of clothes, have shelter and adhere to a strict ruling than live in absolute squalor and misery. You can argue that you're sacrificing your freedom in the process of doing so...but you're making it sound like the Middle East is Nazi Germany where people are forbidden from doing anything.

Top
 Profile  
Viral
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:04 am
Posts: 1891
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:28 am 
 

MegaHassan wrote:
EDIT: Just read Viral's post. Sorry for derailing this thread further. :(

Haha. I know I said I would, but I can't resist responding to people's posts. But yeah, let's save the politics for an actual political thread. ;)

Top
 Profile  
LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:09 am
Posts: 447
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:29 am 
 

Viral wrote:
He stated that life in general in the Middle East is far worse than anywhere else in the world. But doing some simple research will show that there are worst places in the world in terms of overall living conditions.


Without wanting in on your argument, I'd be willing to bet that life is far worse in impoverished Africa than it is in the Middle East or Colombia.

Vrede wrote:
That picture of the planned under water hotel is nothing but impressive. It looks like some freaking alien battleship.


:nods:

It reminds me of Otoh Gunga from Star Wars Episode I (as well as the vehicle that the protagonists used to depart from Otoh Gunga). A wonderful idea for a hotel - it would be amazing to spend time in one of the underwater rooms.
_________________
Our clinic raided by the authorities
Littered with corpses on all thirteen stories
We toiled long in the laboratories
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

Top
 Profile  
Viral
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:04 am
Posts: 1891
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:33 am 
 

LindisfarneAnno793 wrote:
Without wanting in on your argument, I'd be willing to bet that life is far worse in impoverished Africa than it is in the Middle East or Colombia.

Well, Africa is a no-brainer, bro. If we're talking about the worst place in the world period...then yeah, Africa takes the cake.

Top
 Profile  
UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:45 pm
Posts: 1057
Location: Colombia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:33 am 
 

Viral wrote:
Coming from a person who's never been to the region, let alone is so ignorant about what is there other than what he sees on the news...

I could say the exact same thing about yours.

Viral wrote:
I've been to Brazil...very beautiful beaches and tourist attractions. But I know for a fact, that outside of the resorts, a shitload of people live in wretched poverty. Some can't even afford to clothe themselves and have to resort to scrounging through municipal dumps in order to find something they could use/sell. Now I haven't been to other South American countries, but I think the situation is very similar in neighbouring countries (the degrees of poverty will most likely differ from nation to nation). While there is poverty in the Middle East (Iraq and Afghanistan having the worst cases of it), the majority of the people there can at least afford to eat and clothe themselves and go about their daily lives (albeit under the threat of numerous potential conflicts that could break out at any moment between the seculars and extremists).

Oh, and you think in South America people don't? Really, this statement alone is proof enough of your ignorance. Poverty in South America is nothing new, and I am aware of the examples you presented (which still pale in comparison to those of countries like Gaza or Iraq). Of course, last I knew, people here don't have to live in constant fear of suicidal bombers in crowded places or armed conflicts breaking out almost daily in the middle of the cities, or religious madmen imposing nonsensical rules and extreme punishment for the most superfluous of reasons.

Viral wrote:
Secondly, a lot of people of Mid East descent (Iranians especially) move here to escape the political regimes that are in power in their homelands.

Same motives people here do. Most escape because threats made by terrorists, or because corrupted governments extort them for money.

Viral wrote:
Trust me, if you and your family had the oppurtunity to move here...you would all over it like bees on honey.

No, not really. My family does quite good here. Of course, we're among the few that can say that.

Viral wrote:
I'm merely stating that the region is not the shithole you perceive it to be...and which your country actually is for the most part.

See comments above.

Quote:
And lastly, in regards to your comment about the Middle East being in worse condition than Colombia...is that why the Royal Family of Saudi Arabia can afford to buy your entire country...or continent for that matter?

I confess my ignorance in this matter. Proof?

Quote:
Is that why a lot of us are massively successful business owners who usually end up having people like yours working for us?

:rolleyes: I'm really indifferent towards this issue, but I suggest you do some research into the role Latinos (and by this I don't mean wetbacks) have played and play today in many of the US' enterprises. It's quite high.

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, the Middle East is far from being the toilet that the rest of the world shits in.

Understand something. I do not dislike the Middle East because of economical reasons as I'm afraid you may think, in fact I'm for the most part ignorant about that. I dislike it mainly because of the cultural aspects I perceive of it. I cannot understand how in today's civilization there can be a theocracy that supresses all the personal freedoms an individual may have, how a religious order can be so bent on violence and intolerance towards anything that doesn't share their views, and just how inhumane, irrational and backwards their ways are. Perhaps it is because I was born in the West, but it is incomprehensible to me, and I feel both disgusted and sad when everyday in the news I hear the same thing about the conflict raging in that region. I should just make it clear, I don't dislike the Middle East, as the region, per se, but Islam (any religion in general, for that matter).

I do not try to hide the flaws of my country or try to cover them by naming laudable things of it, or get all touchy about it (like you seem to do, based on many posts by you I've seen), frankly, such issues are of no interest to me. The same I can say about your region. The problems are there, and in some cases, such as both South America and the Middle East, they far outweigh the positive things that may be said about them.
_________________
http://www.lastfm.com/user/Gravskog

Top
 Profile  
Viral
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:04 am
Posts: 1891
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:36 am 
 

And to answer your question about what my friend does for a living in Dubai...he is a systems analyst and works for the government. He tells me he can make more money if he moves into the city itself (he lives on the outskirts of town), but then he won't be able to receive as many privileges/benefits as he would at his current job.


Last edited by Viral on Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: HellishHound, OzzyApu, Smoking_Gnu and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group