Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:47 pm 

Quite possibly the greatest naval armada ever assembled is now mobilizing outside the mouth of the Straight of Hormuz to prevent refined oil products from reaching Iran. This is a serious provocation of war not just with Iran, but with China and Russia, because China imports huge amounts of LNG and oil from Gulf states including Iran and Russia sees further interference in it's sphere of influence and future agenda of becoming an energy super power. As long as the West controls the Gulf they will never have to depend on Russia for energy. If Iran becomes the undisputed gulf superpower (goes nuclear) they can cut the U.S. off and supply the East while Russia supplies the West.

The current conflict in Goergia has much to do with the U.S. and Israel trying to steal oil from the Caspian Sea and route it through Georgia and Turkey to the port of Eshkelon in Israel. The Caspian Sea holds Russian oil reserves and what Israel and the U.S. tried to do in Goergia was a big no no. Their motives are now more clear then ever. Russia quickly deployed 100,000 troops with armour and air support and pretty much fucked up the U.S./Israeli backed, financed and military-trained Goergians and are now threatening to install a pro-Russian government. The Goergians have claimed that the Russians have mobilized their Black Seas fleet as well as their fleet in the Mediterranean and Caspian.

It would only make sense for the Russians and Chinese to also have a fleet present in the Persian Gulf pretty soon. It was only last summer when three Russia nuclear submarines emerged untraced by radar in the Indian Ocean right beside a U.S. carrier fleet only to disappear in to the abyss again without making any military threat. This shows the Russians are active near Iran.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:12 am 

Care to post any news sources of this?

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:20 am 

rexxz wrote:

http://europebusines.blogspot.com/2008/ ... -iran.html

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:22 am 

I don't see why they would need to set up a blockade when Iran already said they were going to close down the shipping passageway themselves.

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:22 am 

We have had large carrier groups at sea for a very long time, This is not unusual considering the growing issue with Iran. Think of it as the big dog going into the neighborhood to make sure all the little dogs are playing nice :P

As far as Russia sending a fleet to meet ours by all means let them, but next time they buzz one of our carriers with a bomber they should not be surprised if it gets splashed.

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:25 am 

Viral wrote:
rexxz wrote:

"The neo-cons are counting on such a blockade launching a war with Iran."

"neo-con grand strategy and to western control of all of the Middle East's oil supply."

:lol: That article is totally not biased at all.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:27 am 

rexxz wrote:
I don't see why they would need to set up a blockade when Iran already said they were going to close down the shipping passageway themselves.

Don't believe everything you hear. All of these events are the framework for WWIII. The last thing participating nations are going to do is attempt to bring this to an end by making empty promises and creating an illusion of possible peace within the area. It's only the beginning of the end.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:28 am 

The_Count wrote:
Viral wrote:
rexxz wrote:

"The neo-cons are counting on such a blockade launching a war with Iran."

"neo-con grand strategy and to western control of all of the Middle East's oil supply."

:lol: That article is totally not biased at all.

Look who's talking, Captain America.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:28 am 

Viral wrote:
Don't believe everything you hear.

Likewise.

I still don't see any good evidence to lead me to believe what you say is true, though.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:33 am 

The_Count wrote:
We have had large carrier groups at sea for a very long time, This is not unusual considering the growing issue with Iran. Think of it as the big dog going into the neighborhood to make sure all the little dogs are playing nice :P

You are possibly the most naive person on this board. You remind me of Hank from King of the Hill...always putting your trust in the government and people "more qualified" to handle these kinds of disputes, never question anything the government does and always hold a firm belief that they're working in your best interest where any person with a mind of their own can see that's far from the case. When the current crisises relating to your country improve, then talk about how things for America, let alone the world, due to Western intervention are going fine.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:34 am 

rexxz wrote:
Viral wrote:

Likewise.

I still don't see any good evidence to lead me to believe what you say is true, though.

Do you have anything to refute with?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:38 am 

What do you mean? Aside from the fact that Major General Jafari is quoted to say ""Enemies know that we are easily able to block the Strait of Hormuz for an unlimited period," and that he spoke to Iranian reporters after testing a new antiship missile that he said could sink "enemy ships" at a range of more than 200 miles. He said shutting down the Strait of Hormuz would be easy.

They already threatened to close it, as well.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/iran ... 19185.html

That's only just one site covering it, there's many more if you want to look for your self.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:39 am 

Unfortunately, I could not come across any mainstream news sources to provide you with, rexxxz. But if you consider the seriousness of the information given in the article, you can understand why Western media outlets would want to keep this under wraps.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:41 am 

Well then, all you can do is speculate then, as the rest of us.

No one here knows for sure what's going on, so I won't be the one to come in and make claims of WWIII.

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:41 am 

Viral wrote:
The_Count wrote:

You are possibly the most naive person on this board. You remind me of Hank from King of the Hill...always putting your trust in the government and people "more qualified" to handle these kinds of disputes, never question anything the government does and always hold a firm belief that they're working in your best interest where any person with a mind of their own can see that's far from the case. When the current crisises relating to your country improve, then talk about how things for America, let alone the world, due to Western intervention are going fine.

I do not agree with my government on every issue, If you want to rephrase and replace government with the war on terror specifically that might be more accurate.

On a side note do you have another source? Bias is going to be in almost everything but the guy who writes those articles in particular is a bit out there.

From someone on military.com when this was posted:

S wrote:
John....you really need to check your source on this. I checked this "Lord Stirling"...even drug my Debrett's Peerage out. The title went into dormancy in 1949. Plus his age doesn't match with the last born male issue. For someone that claims more titles than the Queen holds, he certainly ought to be able to make a better website. It appears he may have bought his titles.

All that aside, he sounds like a bit of a crackpot IMO. Some of his expressions are so low brow, hardly those of an Earl. Many of his articles are also far fetched.

I wouldn't go building the bomb shelter just yet. Wink

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:49 am 

rexxz wrote:
What do you mean? Aside from the fact that Major General Jafari is quoted to say ""Enemies know that we are easily able to block the Strait of Hormuz for an unlimited period," and that he spoke to Iranian reporters after testing a new antiship missile that he said could sink "enemy ships" at a range of more than 200 miles. He said shutting down the Strait of Hormuz would be easy.

They already threatened to close it, as well.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/iran ... 19185.html

That's only just one site covering it, there's many more if you want to look for your self.

Do you really think closing off a passageway is going to stop them?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:50 am 

That is irrelevent to the topic. If Iran themselves are talking about closing off shipping passageways, there will be no incentive for a blockade since Iran is already doing it for them.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:52 am 

The_Count wrote:
Viral wrote:
The_Count wrote:

I do not agree with my government on every issue, If you want to rephrase and replace government with the war on terror specifically that might be more accurate.

On a side note do you have another source? Bias is going to be in almost everything but the guy who writes those articles in particular is a bit out there.

S wrote:
John....you really need to check your source on this. I checked this "Lord Stirling"...even drug my Debrett's Peerage out. The title went into dormancy in 1949. Plus his age doesn't match with the last born male issue. For someone that claims more titles than the Queen holds, he certainly ought to be able to make a better website. It appears he may have bought his titles.

All that aside, he sounds like a bit of a crackpot IMO. Some of his expressions are so low brow, hardly those of an Earl. Many of his articles are also far fetched.

I guess I went a bit overboard in calling you naive (somewhat of an insulting term). But you are too trusting in those regards.

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:56 am 

Viral wrote:
The_Count wrote:
Viral wrote:
The_Count wrote:

S wrote:

I guess I went a bit overboard in calling you naive (somewhat of an insulting term). But you are too trusting in those regards.

Do not worry about it its all good, I learned a long time ago to not let what people say online bother me ;).

If I am too trusting or not is a different matter so lets not derail the thread with that topic.

For what its worth this is a topic I am watching and interested in and any info I can get biased or not I will redirect here.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:02 am 

rexxz wrote:
That is irrelevent to the topic. If Iran themselves are talking about closing off shipping passageways, there will be no incentive for a blockade since Iran is already doing it for them.

The article states Iran can hold out for an unlimited amount of time...which could merely be a front to intimidate the U.S. Logically, blocking off the passageway isn't good for either side. So something doesn't add up here.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:03 am 

Yes, and it also stated that they are threatening to close it themselves, which would really mean there'd be no use for a western fronted blockade if Iran is willing to close its shipping in the first place.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:08 am 

rexxz wrote:
Yes, and it also stated that they are threatening to close it themselves, which would really mean there'd be no use for a western fronted blockade if Iran is willing to close its shipping in the first place.

Like I said, it could merely be a front as it wouldn't make sense. Iran, like any other country in the world, relies on commerce for its economy to function. Exporting oil is one of Iran's major economic backbones, therefore it wouldn't make any sense to block off the passageways and deny the world of its oil as it would destroy Iran's economy. So it would make more sense for the U.S., who is keen on resorting to any method to further pressure Iran into meeting with their demands, to be the ones blocking off the passageway.

Last edited by ~Guest 62838 on Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:09 am 

It makes perfect sense. They supply 1/5th of the world's oil through that area. By cutting it off they can put pressure on demands from Russia and China to back off their enrichment.

Osmium
The Hateful Raven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:10 am 

http://www.news.navy.mil/search/display ... y_id=38478

Quote:
From Commander, U.S. 2nd Fleet Public Affairs

NORFOLK (NNS) -- More than 15,000 service members from four countries will participate in Joint Task Force Exercise (JTFEX) 08-4 "Operation Brimstone", July 21-31 in North Carolina and off the eastern U.S. coast from Virginia to Florida.

JTFEX 08-4 serves as a ready-for-deployment certification event for the Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group (TR CSG) and the Iwo Jima Expeditionary Strike Group (IWO ESG). The exercise will also serve as a Joint Task Force Capable Headquarters sustainment event. In addition, JTFEX 08-4 will offer preliminary accreditation for 2nd Fleet's Maritime Headquarters with Maritime Operations Center (MHQ with MOC)). MHQ with MOC is a new approach to command and control for fleet commanders.

"This exercise is a tremendous opportunity to train; not only as the Navy and Marine Corps team, but with our joint and coalition partners as well," said Commander, 2nd Fleet Vice Adm. Marty Chanik.

"JTFEX 08-4 will flex our warfighting capabilities from the operational level through expeditionary strike force and strike group operations with several of our coalition partners – France, Brazil and the United Kingdom."

The exercise also marks the first time that forces from Navy Expeditionary Combat Command are participating in an East-Coast JTFEX. NECC forces operating in the littorals and riverine environment are supporting integrated operations.

"Navy Expeditionary Combat Command provides a self-contained adaptive force package with a command element tailored to support the full spectrum of operations from major combat operations to unconventional and irregular warfare," said NECC commander Rear Adm. Mike Tillotson.

U.S. and coalition naval assets underway for the exercise include the U.S. aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71), the amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7) with associated units including the British aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal (RO 7), the Brazilian Navy frigate Greenhalgh (F-46) and the French submarine FS Amethyste (S 605). BNS Greenhalgh is the first Brazilian Navy ship to operate integrated in a U.S. strike group.

French Rafale fighter aircraft assigned to the 12th Squadron, and Hawkeye early warning aircraft assigned to the 4th Squadron will conduct carrier qualifications and cyclic flight operations with U.S. Carrier Air Wing 8 during Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group's Joint Task Force Exercise. This marks the first integrated U.S. and French carrier qualifications and cyclic flight operations aboard a U.S. aircraft carrier.

The TR CSG is made up of: USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71); Commander, Carrier Strike Group 2 (CCSG-2); Carrier Air Wing 8 (CVW-8); Commander, Destroyer Squadron 22 (CDS-22); the guided-missile cruiser USS Monterey (CG 61); the guided-missile destroyers USS Mason (DDG 87), and USS Nitze (DDG 94) homeported in Norfolk; the attack submarine USS Springfield (SSN 761) homeported in Groton, Conn.; and the guided-missile destroyer USS The Sullivans (DDG 68) homeported in Mayport, Fla.

The IWO ESG consists of USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7), Commander, Amphibious Squadron Four (CPR-4) based at Little Creek, Va.; the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit (26 MEU) based at Camp Lejune, N.C.; the amphibious transport dock ship San Antonio (LPD 17); guided-missile cruiser USS Vella Gulf (CG 72); and the guided-missile destroyer USS Ramage (DDG 61), homeported in Norfolk; the dock landing ship USS Carter Hall (LSD 50) homeported at Little Creek, Va.; the guided-missile destroyer USS Roosevelt (DDG 80) homeported in Mayport, Fla., and the attack submarine USS Hartford (SSN 768) homeported in Groton, Conn.

The Navy Expeditionary Combat Task Group (NECTG) is made up of: Riverine Group 1 staff augmented with personnel from throughout the NECC force, Riverine Squadron 1, Maritime Expeditionary Security Squadron Ten, based in Jacksonville, Fla.; an air detachment from Naval Construction Forces Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 11 based in Gulfport, Miss.; Navy Cargo Handling Battalion 3, based in Alameda, Calif.), and Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit 6 plus EOD Support Unit based at Little Creek, Va.

In addition, the following forces are participating in the exercise simulating opposition forces: the guided-missile destroyer USS Carney (DDG 64), homeported in Mayport, Fla.; the guided missile cruisers USS San Jacinto (CG 56), USS Anzio (CG 68) and USS Normandy (CG 60), the guided-missile destroyers USS Oscar Austin (DDG 79), USS Winston S. Churchill (DDG 81); and the guided-missile frigate USS Carr (FFG 52), all homeported in Norfolk.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:15 am 

rexxz wrote:
It makes perfect sense. They supply 1/5th of the world's oil through that area. By cutting it off they can put pressure on demands from Russia and China to back off their enrichment.

Their economy would suffer greatly as a result though.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:15 am 

Of course, but then again so would continuing their enrichment program and having more sanctions imposed on the country, but they seem to not care.

Besides all of this, if you really think that is the goal of the US and its allies, to blockade this straight which would result in retaliation from both Russia and China, then I don't think you've really thought this through. The fact that we stayed out of Russia's affairs in South Ossetia certainly shows that we know our limits and can't afford to lose them as an ally. There simply is no reason for us to do such a thing.

Last edited by rexxz on Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:20 am 

rexxz wrote:
Of course, but then again so would continuing their enrichment program and having more sanctions imposed on the country, but they seem to not care.

Yes and no. I think it goes beyond simply being apathetic towards what happens to themselves. There is a reason for Iran's stubbornness and they're smart people, they are aware of the consequences of such actions, which would lead one to believe they have something up their sleeves.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:24 am 

rexxz wrote:
Besides all of this, if you really think that is the goal of the US and its allies, to blockade this striahgt which would result in retaliation from both Russia and China, then I don't think you've really thought this through. The fact that we stayed out of Russia's affairs in South Ossetia certainly shows that we know our limits and can't afford to lose them as an ally. There simply is no reason for us to do such a thing.

That's because the U.S. does not involve themselves in conflicts that they're not directly involved in. This feud with Iran has been going on for years. The U.S. and Iran are the main players in conflict, so obviously they're not going just simply give up on a possible tactic which could result in Iran, in the long run, being plunged into defeat.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:25 am 

You're avoiding the issue. That is, it will ultimately be a failing strategy and the US military knows that, hence it will not be done.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:32 am 

You know what, I guess you were right in the sense that there wasn't any point in starting a thread about this as there is a great lack of substantial information regarding this topic. It's kind of pointless to debate something with so little info as opposed to a much bigger issue with endless information and resources on it (ie. the war in Iraq). Debating with little info is like fighting a war with only a few rounds of ammunition. Feel free to lock this if you wish, rexxz.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:35 am 

Well if you want to let this be a general purpose Iran vs the World (seems like it anyway) thread, that can be possible. Just edit the title to reflect the topic, if you wish. If not then I will lock it.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:39 am 

Well, for the most part, we've been debating possible motives for either side closing off the passageway...which pertains to what we're talking about, but isn't actually accumulating towards anything. I just did another search on Google and all I could find were similar blogs to the one I posted the link to above...no actual articles. So I dunno, your call, man. Twas a bad call on my part to initiate this thread.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:41 am 

It can stay, as long as posts remain constructive and relevent.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:42 am 

rexxz wrote:
It can stay, as long as posts remain constructive and relevent.
Alright. Since no one else seems to be posting in here, I guess I'll be heading on to bed and reply to whatever posts accumulate here tomorrow.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:47 pm 

Viral wrote:

Yet when asked for a news source, you responded with a blog post...

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:11 am 

source wrote:
U.S. rebuffs Israeli request for arms geared toward Iran strike
The American administration has rejected an Israeli request for military equipment and support that would improve Israel's ability to attack Iran's nuclear facilities.

The Americans viewed the request, which was transmitted (and rejected) at the highest level, as a sign that Israel is in the advanced stages of preparations to attack Iran. They therefore warned Israel against attacking, saying such a strike would undermine American interests. They also demanded that Israel give them prior notice if it nevertheless decided to strike Iran.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1010938.html

Israels getting pretty jittery over there, makes you wonder exactly what they had planned if this deal had gone down.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:52 pm 

Viral wrote:
The_Count wrote:
Viral wrote:
The_Count wrote:

S wrote:

It's just as bad, if not worse in some instances, to be totally distrusting of government officials and qualified professionals in certain matters. Getting your news exclusively from random lunatics on internet blogs and politically extremist sources is only going to get you fed with a bunch of hysterics.

Take the 9/11 Conspiracy for instance. Look how many fools lined up to totally fall in line with the rampant paranoia-based conspiracy theories of something like Loose Change while likewise ignoring qualified professionals and structural engineers who actually worked to study the wreckage to discover what went so wrong, and why certain things happened a certain way. The 19-year-old college freshmen who made Loose Change had only one skill: How to make a propaganda film filled with conspiracy-leaning questions. They are not structural engineers. They did not study the wreckage. They did not haul human remains out of the rubble. They don't actually know anything. But people trusted them simply because their minds are too clouded with distrust of the government.

Governments and politicians lie--we all know that, but to assume that it's 100% of the time on 100% of subjects is folly. Oftentimes, those liers are caught and dealt with legal, political, or social actions.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:41 pm 

Quote:
It's just as bad, if not worse in some instances, to be totally distrusting of government officials and qualified professionals in certain matters. Getting your news exclusively from random lunatics on internet blogs and politically extremist sources is only going to get you fed with a bunch of hysterics.

When these random lunatics can claim body counts similar to what the governments that these officials and professionals represent have, then I'll be more trusting of my alleged benefactors.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:15 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Quote:

When these random lunatics can claim body counts similar to what the governments that these officials and professionals represent have, then I'll be more trusting of my alleged benefactors.

Well said. Conspiracy theorists are nothing more than people posting things on sites/blogs...which are harmless for the most part. They're not actually the ones out there slaughtering people in the name of an ideology that's not suited for the people they are trying to "liberate".

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:31 pm 

Viral wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:
Quote:

Well said. Conspiracy theorists are nothing more than people posting things on sites/blogs...which are harmless for the most part. They're not actually the ones out there slaughtering people in the name of an ideology that's not suited for the people they are trying to "liberate".

In that, you're underestimating the power of ideas. Conspiracy theorists have convinced 20% of America that we didn't land on the moon--they've taught those people to ignore evidence and science over speculation and paranoid daydreams. The Communist Manifesto and Mein Kampf were just ideas as well. In fact, Mein Kampf is just another conspiratorial written document. The blog of it's day, mass produced and eaten up by the flock. The difference now is that people not even as smart as Hitler or Karl Marx can spread their ideas and theories. Again, look at Loose Change. Many people regard that as a point for suddenly believing the government lied hardcore about 9/11 eventually moving to believe the government actually caused the attacks. That kind of viral idea spreading is hardly harmless.

Simplifying wars and liberation movements to ideology alone indicates a lack of understanding.

Which, I guess, then explains why paranoid conspiracy becomes a fitting "news source" since conspiracy theorists also generally lack understanding. Or, for that matter, logic, reason, etc.

Governments kill people. Wow, big revelation. Governments have always done just that, but they've also protected people, built civilizations, created freedom, and defended those who couldn't defend themselves. Put a conspiracy theorist in charge and what to you have? The Third Reich. Pol Pot. Al Qaida. Stalin's gulags. Etc, etc.

Yeah, those people are harmless.

(Note: I am aware that "comparing to Hitler for proof of evil" is typically the cop-out, half-brained manner of trying to demonize an opponent, but I use him only this time because he and Mein Kampf actually fit the purposes of my point.)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next