Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BlackFairies
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:31 pm 

BurningASinner wrote:
BlackFairies wrote:
Paternoster from Austria was a prog band that was not that heavy but one of the darkest bands I ever listened. I am sure that some Metalheads might love them...

Yeah, I used to like them a lot. Quite obscure, dark stuff..The vocals are a bit strange, however.

I loved the vocals! Pure despair and utterly dark!

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:46 am 

Not REALLY related, but I just had to recommend the german band Triumvirat somewhere. Epic 70s Half-Prog with lyrics that are sometimes fucking metal.

I've been trained to kill a man
A sword, a spear or with my hand
As nature built me big and strong
A gladiator's song
We're Kept like animals in a cage
They pay for it to see the rage
Their Kicks have become slate and dry
They get excited when we die
Our life it is not meant to last
The arms so strong the eyes so fast
We're putting on a special show
and selling out the big front row
There is no chance of getting free
We could fight for eternity
and death is near it won't take long
a gladiator's song

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=SJAfMp5vYS4

TheYardstick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:59 pm 

You can never go wrong with Can, Neu!, Agitation Free, and Captain Beefheart.

I'd throw a shout for Zappa, but he's far from obscure.

Symbolic12
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:26 am 

ryan_the_snake wrote:
Rag I Ryggen, "s/t". Hard prog from Sweden with really catchy fuzzy guitar leads, energetic, youthful vocals and cool primitive synths. Full of youthful enthusiasm, I think these guys were only teenagers when this was recorded. Party time music, not really dark so don't bother if that's what you're after.

Cool stuff!

NP: Jan Banan

pbirv
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:39 pm 

Anyone heard of these?

Fsypro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:42 am 

pbirv wrote:
Anyone heard of these?

I've heard of the Godz, couldnt find a DL link or a myspace though so I couldnt tell you about them. Heavy Metal Kids never heard either. But Lucifer's Friend is a great Prog Rock / Heavy Metal album. Absolutely stunning.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:48 am 

You should try to find a copy of anything by Necromandus. They are certainly metal,doom as matter of fact. Look them up on M-A. I know they were sponsered and produced by Tony Iommi. They never got off the to any sort of success unforunately but they were around from like 1972-1976 or something. Being under the sphere of influence of the Sabbath dudes(kindve like what the Beatles did for Badfinger) AND being underground is quite worthy of finding.

Himmlisch
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:26 pm 

fishman3226 wrote:
I know we are talking obscure but might I recommend Deep Purple's first three albums (pre Gillan?) They are quite heavy with a hippy tint. Fucking mint I might say.

I must also third Captain Beyond. Got them on my MP3 player in the car for about a month now.

And Uriah Heep? I think this bands earliest stuff is really under appreciated.

Awesome thread this one.

I absolutely agree. the 3 first albums are awesome, more prog and psychodelic than the latter hard rock albums and yep Uriah Heep are very underated...and this thread is really cool I´ll check some of these records....

Fsypro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:18 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
You should try to find a copy of anything by Necromandus. They are certainly metal,doom as matter of fact. Look them up on M-A. I know they were sponsered and produced by Tony Iommi. They never got off the to any sort of success unforunately but they were around from like 1972-1976 or something. Being under the sphere of influence of the Sabbath dudes(kindve like what the Beatles did for Badfinger) AND being underground is quite worthy of finding.

Reminds me of the band JERUSALEM. 70's hard rock/ trad heavy / doom metal band that was produced by Ian Gillian.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=106342

norilor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:00 pm 

Not sure if it was mentioned, but the band Icecross is very good...anyone here a fan of Icecross?

For those who don't know, Icecross is a band from Iceland and released their one and only album in 1978.

PriestofSadWings
Bishop of Dark Spaces

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:25 pm 

norilor wrote:
Not sure if it was mentioned, but the band Icecross is very good...anyone here a fan of Icecross?

For those who don't know, Icecross is a band from Iceland and released their one and only album in 1978.

Never heard of them. What do they sound like?

Anyway, I wanted to talk about a band. Granmax was a bluesy hard rock/metal outfit from Nebraska. I've listened to their Kiss Heaven Goodbye album - good stuff on there, even if the singer can get annoying. They sound sort of like the heavy side of UFO.

norilor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:35 am 

PriestofSadWings wrote:
norilor wrote:

Never heard of them. What do they sound like?

Anyway, I wanted to talk about a band. Granmax was a bluesy hard rock/metal outfit from Nebraska. I've listened to their Kiss Heaven Goodbye album - good stuff on there, even if the singer can get annoying. They sound sort of like the heavy side of UFO.

Icecross are just plain weird. Their cd cover looks like it could have been by some black metal band, and their music is psychedelic and prog. The band is Anti-Christian. You can find their cd on some blogs.....

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:53 am 

norilor wrote:

Actually, it was between '72-'73. They had an entry here for awhile 'til they were deemed not metal enough.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:13 am 

Gutterscream wrote:
norilor wrote:

Actually, it was between '72-'73. They had an entry here for awhile 'til they were deemed not metal enough.

That cover is fucking ahead of its time. If I saw that without you putting it into any sort of context I would definitely assume it was some sort of crust punk band.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:03 pm 

While I'm here, here's the original, more exciting, and copyright-infringing cover of Elias Hulk's one and only from '70 -

And the cover to Suck's '70 one-off that Abom mentioned earlier. An oddball from South Africa. That kid's probably about 42 now.

Two some like to throw wreaths around, though I found them both rather banal - Ursa Major '72 & Pink Fairies' Never Never Land '71.

The one song I have from Euclid is okay, so they may be worth investigating further, '70.

And some of variable uncertainty, though I have heard promising things - Ancient Grease '70

Fuzzy Duck '71

Salem Mass - Witch Burning '71 (visually like Bedemon and Damnation of Adam Blessing - hope it burns as good as it looks)

Bolder Damn - Mourning '71

Hairy Chapter - Eyes '70 & Can't Get Through '71

Dark - Round the Edges '72 (heard this one's really interesting, like progressive hard rock and hardpsych w/ depressive corners).

Highway Robbery - For Love or Money '72

Hard Stuff - Bulletproof '72

Tapiman '72, from Spain (looks like a winner, but who knows?)

Jericho '72

Floating Bridge '68 (may be a bit too early for what we consider heavy)

'Nuff for now.

thronwacht
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:03 am 

Try this:

Jerusalem - s/t (produced by Ian Gillian)

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:25 am 

That's a cult classic. As is Necromandus - "Orexis Of Death".

yogibear
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:45 am 

yeah : highway robbery wow long time since i've seen or heard that one, good stuff. also heavy metal kids was some pretty good stuff.

how about - white witch?

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:46 pm 

Never got a chance to hear them, but I'd like to.

'72

Also, found this cool Lucifer's Friend vid while perusing Youtube. The singer has the greatest head.

1970 - Ride the Sky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5DpOdf- ... re=related

~Guest 111864
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:22 am 

I don't know if it's been mentioned already but try:

Jeronimo - Time Ride (1972) very good hard/prog rock

BurningASinner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:12 pm 

Just figured I'd mention this here - Strawberry Alarm Clock rule. While not being really heavy at all, they still are the trippiest band i've ever heard. They rule.

BurningASinner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:13 pm 

I'd also like to note that anyone looking for utterly superb early 70s heavy rock should listen to Granicus ASAP. They have a myspace:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =248054418

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:09 pm 

BurningASinner wrote:
Just figured I'd mention this here - Strawberry Alarm Clock rule. While not being really heavy at all, they still are the trippiest band i've ever heard. They rule.

haha, nice .. I've always thought that it might be worth checking out more of their stuff. I've only heard the couple of hits that usually get played on classic rock radio.

While they my not be classic rock radio fodder around here, I don't think they're very obscure .. however I just thought I'd mention Bloodrock! I'm particularly a fan of "BLoodrock III". There are some really, really heavy and dark tracks on there, like "Whisky Vengeance" and "Breach of Lease". I highly recommend that everyone here check out the latterr song here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgfgRotTgI0

Hell, it's practically doom. I'm not sure which song I heard first, either "Whiskey Vengeance" or Manilla Road's cover of "D.O.A.", but I was hooked right away.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

BurningASinner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:36 pm 

You've got good taste my friend. Bloodrock rules!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:02 am 

BurningASinner wrote:
You've got good taste my friend. Bloodrock rules!

:thumbsup:

I searched for quite some time, but found Paternoster's album for download. Looking forward to listening to this as it seems very promising. Also, holy shit, Cactus's "Fully Unleashed" rules, a lot .. far more than any of the studio stuff I"ve heard. That fifteen minute drum solo is maybe a bit excessive, though. The rest of the band must have been backstage snorting coke off of a hooker's ass during that time. Poor drummer never gets a breather!

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:00 pm 

Got a few more for yas.

Samuel Prody '71 (though some recollections say '70)

Quartermass '70 (on the Deep Purply side with heavy organ use)

T2's It'll All Work Out in Boomland '70 (strange profusion of heavy, acoustic, horns, and other influences)

Irish Coffee '72 (may have been mentioned already)

Ginhouse '71 (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =189807058) - Punch in the song "I Cannot Understand".

Nosferatu '70 (kind of a cross between Black Widow and Tull w/, of course, flute)

Weed '71 (have their moments)

Zarathustra '71 (another with moments)

And here's one that I was all hopped up for but didn't really deliver -
Mogul Thrash '71 - more horned-up jazz with light rock undertones.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:11 pm 

Hey, I know a couple of those bands. It's Quatermass, BTW .. named after the fictional professor of the same name who sent rockets up into space in the name of Britain and science and unearthed all kinds of strange alien evil.

I like mogul Thrash, too. Definitely not heavy, but I've got a real weakness for horn sections in rock music. I've even considered what it'd be like to start a cover band that does big brassy versions of 70s hard rock/metal songs by Sabbathh, Purple early Priest etc .. but I'm just being nerdy; you can ignore me.

Anybody heard the German band Ainigma? Their one album is from 73 I think and features droning organ, distorted guitar and doom aplenty. Pretty melancholy stuff .. maybe too raw and drony for most prog fans in fact but I rather like it ... "All Things are Fading"" is one depressing bastard of a song.

yogibear
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:38 pm 

Quatermass was a keyboard trio i think and also very excellent if not that heavy. sort of the forerunner of emerson lake palmer , they plaeyed out about the same time as the Nice were playing(Nice being more rock band doing classical pieces). oh yeah there is no "r" in the first part of the name
its quatermass not quartermass.
I have the T2 its wonderful stuff.T2-Boomland is classic fusiony heavy rock stuff with some nice melodies and playing. The guitarist was only 17 yrs old when this was done. This is one i still have and play quite regularly.

yogibear
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:44 pm 

Have you heard the band "Gravy Train". They had like 4 or 5 albums out int he eaarly 70's. I think the debut is excellent. thehy played a style sort of like early jethro tull with some very nice flute and some nice guitar work.the tunes were more blues influenced heavy rock, they also had one of the best singers of the early proto heavy rock era.

TheLotusEater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:58 pm 

king crimson is great if you like prog rock

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:23 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
It's Quatermass, BTW ...

Yeah, another one I unconsciously want to respell all the time 'cause I like the way Quartermass sounds with the r. Kinda like pronouncing Sepultura 'Sepultra', which I do on occasion to annoy people.

noinim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:59 pm 

wow, i'm really enjoying this thread! exploring all this classic music, re-living the oldies, sharing favorites, and discovering the overlooked... all this is why i come to message boards to begin with. thank you internets.

below is a handful of bands i don't believe have been mentioned yet. many started their careers in the late 60s and went on to release music through the 70s. the sound ranges greatly, but each contains a dark atmosphere and some heavy moments which could be of interest to those exploring extreme music from generations past.

Electric Sandwich
dark and edgy psychedelic rock with an emphasis on blues

Mythos
amazing band with a sound that ranges from fuzzed-out acid rock to melodic hard rock

The Attack
proto-punk garage rock

Zolar-X
alien glam rock

Twink
spaced-out ritualistic stoner rock

International Harvester
dark bleak and sometimes heavy krautrock

Shocking Blue
heavy psychedelic garage rock with a female vocalist

MercyfulWyzard
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:16 am 

Deep Purple's third album from 1969

Last edited by MercyfulWyzard on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MercyfulWyzard
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:24 am 

Theres a band Captain Beyond you probably heard that Rod Evans sings on too. but i think their first album is kind of unheard so i thought id mention them on here anyway.

Last edited by MercyfulWyzard on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:45 am 

You might as well take your own life, MercyfulWizard. Words cannot express what I'm feeling.

MercyfulWyzard
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:15 pm 

Sorry dude i didnt realize that their really not that obscure, my bad.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:11 pm 

Well, at least you realized it. :) It's really disheartening to see people posting without reading the OP or looking through the topic prior to that. Hence my reaction.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:30 pm 

noinim wrote:
The Attack
proto-punk garage rock

I have a few of their singles from various compilations. Not bad.

noinim wrote:
Twink
spaced-out ritualistic stoner rock

Former drummer for Pink Fairies. Pretty weird stuff, though I'm not an especially big fan of either band.

noinim wrote:
Shocking Blue
heavy psychedelic garage rock with a female vocalist

Had the hit "Venus" somewhere around '70. "...She's got it, yeah baby she's got it, I'm your Venus, I'm your fire at your desire..." or something like that. Later covered by Bananarama.

Last edited by Gutterscream on Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:26 am 

@Gutterscream, have you actually got those old Pentagram singles you review? And where did you find out all the backround info about them?

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:59 pm 

I sold them when I had my record store, but I put them to cd beforehand. Instead of digging out the cd copy of the first single when I did the review, I went to Lastfm and found the songs, only to learn they weren't quite as I remembered, so I wound up having to rummage through my collection anyway. Now I'm stuck 'cause I never had the 'Bias Recordings Studio' release or any of the singles after that. I guess I can go off of what's downloadable, but do I really know if I'm getting the original version or a tampered-with collection version? For instance, have you heard "Be Forewarned" on the '94 album? It's about four minutes longer and sounds almost nothing like the original. Talk about annoying.

As for the info, lots has been written about Pentagram on the net and in print form, so I had to go through some sources to get my facts straight (and it wasn't too easy, 'cause there seems to be some contradictions here and there). I didn't get too involved in the background, not as much as I thought I would anyway. Maybe when/if I throw Bedemon some time.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next