Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:53 am 

Interesting, I don't know if the First Daze Here stuff is the same recording as the originals you're familar with, but they're quite readly available. I'll be sure to look up some more Pentagram stuff online, I am getting to the point of obsessive with some of their output. Be Forewarned is actually my favourite from them, I already have discussed with Abominatrix on
the subject of that particular version of the title track. He hates it, I absolutely love it. It's strange how much 70's stuff there is on that album, most of the Liebling compositions date back to the 70s. On the one hand it's really functional as prior to that they wouldn't have been easily available, but then again I don't think you'd get Victor Griffin to recreate that more twangy sound they had on the originals. So I suppose it was a case of getting it out there whilst putting a fresh slant on it for the artists involved.

~Guest 111864
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:55 am 

Drugi Način's selftitled, from 1975, probably the first heavy rock album in ex-Yu, also very good.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:36 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Interesting, I don't know if the First Daze Here stuff is the same recording as the originals you're familar with, but they're quite readly available. I'll be sure to look up some more Pentagram stuff online, I am getting to the point of obsessive with some of their output. Be Forewarned is actually my favourite from them, I already have discussed with Abominatrix on
the subject of that particular version of the title track. He hates it, I absolutely love it. It's strange how much 70's stuff there is on that album, most of the Liebling compositions date back to the 70s. On the one hand it's really functional as prior to that they wouldn't have been easily available, but then again I don't think you'd get Victor Griffin to recreate that more twangy sound they had on the originals. So I suppose it was a case of getting it out there whilst putting a fresh slant on it for the artists involved.

Yeah, LastFM has most of them handy, but I won't be happy until I have the 45 spinning in front of me to dispel any doubt as to which version is which. When I first played "Be Forewarned" from the s/t lp I was positive I had the wrong song playing. Needless to say I wasn't too happy with the remake.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

Pideitittz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:56 pm 

I like the album "Growers of Mushrooms" by Leaf Hound. I forget what dates they were active, but it is one band I like from this decade.

BurningASinner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:21 am 

Leaf Hound does indeed rule. Definitely a proto-Stoner Metal kind of band. Also, Gutterscream, what part of NJ do you live in? I remember you saying you had a store or something, but you had to close. I'm up in Bergen County, near Hackensack if you're familiar with that shitty city.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:10 pm 

My friend's girlfriend (may as well be wife) is from Bergen. I don't get up that way much. I'm in Manville, just above dead center at the state's waist, if you know what I mean. Small, blue collar town that was once in the Guiness Book of World Records for most bars in a square mile radius, and considering the town is about 2.5 sq. miles, the dozen or so bars we have is quite a bit (and there were more, once upon a time).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manville,_New_Jersey

That Bank of America in the small picture they show you is the bank I use. Naturally, there are also two bars and a liquor store within that small shot, all on the left hand side of the street.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:38 pm 

Gutterscream wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:

Yeah, LastFM has most of them handy, but I won't be happy until I have the 45 spinning in front of me to dispel any doubt as to which version is which. When I first played "Be Forewarned" from the s/t lp I was positive I had the wrong song playing. Needless to say I wasn't too happy with the remake.

Well Bobby Liebling now has a myspace, if he's not too busy doing drugs I'm sure he could help you out! I love the remake, I wasn't familar with the original before I heard the Be Forewarned version, I just love the Victor Griffin guitar workouts. As my review demonstrated I love that album to extreme levels. I think it's quite amusing that even Pentagram remakes of their stuff are still very much retro. They were always kind of old fashioned even in the 70s. What do you think of the other remakes of 70s stuff on Be Forewarned? (Nightmare Gown is one I think).

On a slightly related note, have you heard their version of Under My Thumb, it's fucking fantastic.

Fsypro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:12 pm 

Gutterscream wrote:
My friend's girlfriend (may as well be wife) is from Bergen. I don't get up that way much. I'm in Manville, just above dead center at the state's waist, if you know what I mean. Small, blue collar town that was once in the Guiness Book of World Records for most bars in a square mile radius, and considering the town is about 2.5 sq. miles, the dozen or so bars we have is quite a bit (and there were more, once upon a time).

That Bank of America in the small picture they show you is the bank I use. Naturally, there are also two bars and a liquor store within that small shot, all on the left hand side of the street.

Do you have Northwind?

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:23 pm 

Didn't read anything of this topic cause I was too lazy, but here are some good recommendations.

Message - From Books And Dreams [heavy German prog rock, great album]

Salem Mass - Witch Burning [simply amazing, must listen to this]

Thor's Hammer - Thor's Hammer [great Danish prog rock, not very "heavy", but definitely a great listen]

And of course, the almighty King Crimson.

I'll get back to this when I'm on my computer and not on school. I love 70's prog/psych rock, but I'm running on blank right now.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:39 pm 

Fsypro wrote:
Gutterscream wrote:

Do you have Northwind?

Which one? From the '70s?

Fsypro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:24 pm 

Yeah the one that had only like 50 copies of their record.

http://www.rockadrome.com/superstore/pr ... ts_id=2099

That one.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:53 pm 

Nope. It's one of those rarities mentioned in hushed circles around a record rack. Got any of their stuff?

Fsypro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:06 pm 

I dont have any of their stuff. But they have a website:

http://www.northwind-band.com

All of their releases are there for download.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:40 am 

Anyone know if Bedemon is any good, I've seen that album for not too much and it interests me. Is it similar to 70s Pentagram?

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:42 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Anyone know if Bedemon is any good, I've seen that album for not too much and it interests me. Is it similar to 70s Pentagram?
Bedemon is pretty awesome. I have Child of Darkness II: 1971-1978 and it's great. Very much in the vein of the 70s Pentagram. Highly recommended by me.

EDIT: Now that I've checked Bedemon's archive page, it appears the album I have is a bootleg. Shit.

Oh well. I still recommend them.

~Guest 111864
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:40 am 

Cosmic Dealer from The Netherlands, active 1968-1973.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:03 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:

GET IT NOW. It's awesome. Even darker and heavier than Pentagram.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:49 am 

Catachthonian wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:

GET IT NOW. It's awesome. Even darker and heavier than Pentagram.

Are the guitars done by the fellow who played on First Daze Here Too, if so I'll certainly get it as he's great. I take it you mean 70s Pentagram, because 80s/90s Pentagram is really fucking dark... if massively catchy.

Fsypro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:22 pm 

I just bought

http://www.rockadrome.com/superstore/pr ... cts_id=452

I was wondering if anyone has heard the band before and if there any good, it was a blind purchase but the name rocks and so does the cover.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:52 pm 

Any Wishbone Ash fans here? I know they aren't the most obscure band but I've always had a soft spot for Argus and to a lesser degree the debut and There's A Rub. I actually loved the guitars in Warrior so much that I learnt all the parts and then promptly forgot most of them! I find they've influenced my writing quite a bit, I like to through in folk rock like they did.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:33 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
I take it you mean 70s Pentagram, because 80s/90s Pentagram is really fucking dark... if massively catchy.

:nods:

If I meant 80-ies Pentagram, I'd most likely refer to it as Death Row.

noisebastard
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:53 pm 

BurningASinner wrote:
Hackensack

Coincidentally, the name of a band who definitely belong in this thread.

There's a compilation called "Downer Rock Genocide" which is a goldmine of this stuff, features Necromandus, the aformentioned Hackensack, and a band called Egor who are fucking terrifying. Apparently the band Bum on there is pre-Iron Maiden (confusingly there's also a band CALLED Iron Maiden on it) but I've not been able to find any info.

yogibear
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:17 pm 

captain beyond-killer band with ex iron butterfly guys. this band smoked on the first two albums and thne they began falling apart. the debut is classic the second very good but a bit different.

I just ordered some Winter Hawk which i've been looking for a long time.
ecellent band from the mid 70's with smoking guitarist from chicago area.
some 80's metal stuff that is sort of progressive is slauter xtroyes which both of their releases seem to be out of print. if you like metal with progressive bits then these guys are killer.

pbirv
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:04 am 

Fsypro wrote:
pbirv wrote:
Anyone heard of these?

I've heard of the Godz, couldnt find a DL link or a myspace though so I couldnt tell you about them. Heavy Metal Kids never heard either. But Lucifer's Friend is a great Prog Rock / Heavy Metal album. Absolutely stunning.

Here's the Godz' website- http://www.thegodz.net

And their MySpace- http://www.myspace.com/mongolians714

Here's another band some of you MAY have heard of:

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:19 am 

the 1970's UK band BUDGIE is pretty much a good example of the category, less obscure bands like RIOT are great too, although their sound is pretty much "Heavy Metal". a good psychedelic 60's rock band is "Funkadelic" which is pretty original, and has some hard rock elements.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4