Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
terrorWsrom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:48 am 

Hey there!
Relating to the conversion of Pete Sandoval, there is moderatly great saying about all those reformed christians lately.
I'm curious if there can be found the opposite situation.

Have you ever heard of a christian metal musician (i.e. the ones who praised God through the lyrics of the band(s) they played in OR the ones who at least flaunt their christian beliefs publicly) who has lost his/her faith and become anti-christian (or at least doesn't give a fuck anymore)?

It could be interesting if there are any...

Folkemon_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:56 am 

Yeh the guy from Vengeance Rising, used to be a hardcore christian by the looks of it and now has/had his myspace plastered with satanic stuff.

Erosion of Humanity
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:46 am 

Didn't ole Timmy Lambesis denounce his faith as well? Sometime around trying to have his wife offed if I remember correctly.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:17 pm 

I read that a member of Viking allegedly became a Christian mid-way between their last album, and went and changed up a lot of the lyrics to fit this perspective. Years after the band broke up, he became a bible teacher. Now, from what I gather, he's come full circle and reformed Viking, but is apparently not a Christian anymore (or at least not as much as he once was).

The Infamous Bastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:15 am 

true_death wrote:
I read that a member of Viking allegedly became a Christian mid-way between their last album, and went and changed up a lot of the lyrics to fit this perspective. Years after the band broke up, he became a bible teacher. Now, from what I gather, he's come full circle and reformed Viking, but is apparently not a Christian anymore (or at least not as much as he once was).

Meh, confused people!

puggy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:28 am 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Didn't ole Timmy Lambesis denounce his faith as well? Sometime around trying to have his wife offed if I remember correctly.

Yup.

terrorWsrom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:51 am 

Not many... I expected more of them...

Jackoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:53 am 

Myself.
I was born and raised in a Christian family, then learnt the concept of free thinking and found it wasn't for me really.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:38 pm 

Dez Fafara of DevilDriver. Used to be all into the Jesus stuff in his Coal Chamber days and now he seems to have turned to the dark side.

Erosion of Humanity
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:09 pm 

Really? I never heard that before, were his beliefs present in the lyrics? I may have to check out Coal Chamber now, I remember not liking them long long ago but if it's into Jesus I'll give it another shot.

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:42 pm 

Unity wrote:
Dez Fafara of DevilDriver. Used to be all into the Jesus stuff in his Coal Chamber days and now he seems to have turned to the dark side.

I'm calling bullshit. Rayna Foss from Coal Chamber 'found Christ', had altercations with Dez and as a result left the band. He does have a 666 tattoo across his neck and during the Coal Chamber days he did not but I've read and seen nothing that suggests he was into Jesus.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:53 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Unity wrote:

I'm calling bullshit. Rayna Foss from Coal Chamber 'found Christ', had altercations with Dez and as a result left the band. He does have a 666 tattoo across his neck and during the Coal Chamber days he did not but I've read and seen nothing that suggests he was into Jesus.

Well, I own the first Coal Chamber album and he thanks Christ in the liner notes (and he wears a crucifix in a photo of the band in the booklet). In the second album (Chamber Music), he says "faith in self and a higher entity that guides us all" in his "thank you" list. As for his lyrics, they basically dealt with personal issues on the first album while on the second they were more spiritual, while at the same time not mentioning Jesus.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:28 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Unity wrote:

I'm calling google is your friend. :p

Quote:
“I was raised by a Catholic father, a Baptist stepfather and my mother was into Christian Science. I went to Baptist school… As for Christ, I believe in Him as being either a great healer or a great charlatan – I don’t know yet, I haven’t figured it out.”

http://www.musicomh.com/features/interv ... ildriver-2

A little discussion about Christianity in that interview from 2005.

Ohrwurm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:44 am 

Dez is and, as far as I know, has always been mostly into wicca. I used to be a member of the DD fan-forum (for several years), so I think I'd have heard if Dez was ever a Christian. If he was, he wasn't a very avid one.

last.fm

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:18 pm 

Thanks a lot for that interview, it certainly was very revealing. I understand him a lot better now.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:25 pm 

Here's just something I noticed: if Dez feels LaVey and Crowley are "charlatans", why does he wears shirts with Sigils Of Baphomet and the phrase "Do What Thou Wilt"?

Erosion of Humanity
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:56 pm 

That interview was from 2005. Surely it's possible his views and beliefs may have changed in 8 years...

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:42 pm 

Yeah, I guess. =)

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:59 am 

Jackoroth wrote:
Myself.
I was born and raised in a Christian family, then learnt the concept of free thinking and found it wasn't for me really.

Yeah, not the same thing but congrats on breaking free from your oppressive parents.

Terri23
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:00 am 

true_death wrote:

Ron Eriksen. His brother Brett went on to Dark Angel, where Ron Rinehart would become a born again Christian too. Apparently Brett is something of a messenger of God.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Required Fields
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:29 pm 

The brother angle of Ron Eriksen and Brett Eriksen was a marketing gimmick. Ron Eriksen's real name is Ron Daniel.

Ron actually never said anything about no longer being a Christian, but he hasn't been a minister for years, and claimed in a recent interview that he hasn't even attended church for a while.

Matt Jordan, Viking's drummer, converted to Christianity a few months after Ron did. Strangely, Ron was not responsible for Matt's conversion to Christianity; you'd think that since they were in the same band, he would have had something to do with it, but that was not the case.

The new Viking album is pretty good stuff, check it out if you haven't heard it yet.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:17 pm 

Jackoroth wrote:
Myself.

You played in a Christian band? What was it called?

Spoiler: show
Or are you just making this about you for no reason? Nobody cares.

Edit: oh wow, this is a necrobump. WTF.
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:57 pm 

Necrobumped by Required Fields... some things really do never ever change.

Required Fields
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:28 pm 

I didn't even realize this was an older thread, as I remember reading it last week. I wasn't looking at the dates the posts were made.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:40 am 

chaossphere wrote:
Necrobumped by Required Fields... some things really do never ever change.

:lol:
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Opus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:32 pm 

Now I can at least update this thread with Tuomas Holopainen.

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:12 pm 

The two guys who's involved with Reverorum ib Malach started out with a basis in some kind of Satanic worldview. The lyrics from Urkaos was comprised of traditional Catholic texts but the work was meant as some kind of Satanic statement. Both members did however convert to Catholicism in 2008 and 2009 I believe.

On the latest album, actually 3 albums bearing the same name - De Mysteriis Dom Christi, the lyrics are still based in Catholic tradition but this time around with the band actually promoting Catholicism.

http://web.archive.org/web/201404140148 ... m/malacht/

DeathspellDelta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:32 am 

Unity wrote:

Christianity is the true dark side.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:19 am 

I had expected this thread to be about former church-burners turning over a new leaf of boring tolerance and love.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:22 am 

DeathspellDelta wrote:
Unity wrote:

Christianity is the true dark side.

I'll take this as an excuse to post a quote I like:
"Religions are like glow worms: they need darkness in order to shine. A certain degree of general ignorance is the condition for the existence of any religion, the element in which alone it is able to live."
- Schopenhauer

just watched the Scientology documentary earlier tonight. seems fair to call it a religion by these terms.

TheTrueSeker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:44 pm 

Didn't the frontman for King's X renounce his faith when some Christian watchdog group went after him for being gay?

BonziBaddy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:12 pm 

Adam "Nergal" Darski. At least, he was raised Catholic. Explains how he knows so much about Christianity; he takes his experiences in religion to write anti-Christian music.

Opus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:50 pm 

TheTrueSeker wrote:
Didn't the frontman for King's X renounce his faith when some Christian watchdog group went after him for being gay?

Yes that's the one! Doug Pinnick. Had it in the back of my head, but couldn't remember who it was. Christian stores stopped selling his albums when he came out 1998.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:37 pm 

BonziBaddy wrote:
Adam "Nergal" Darski. At least, he was raised Catholic. Explains how he knows so much about Christianity; he takes his experiences in religion to write anti-Christian music.

There's plenty of those types in metal. Immolation derive their lyrical content from their Catholic upbringing, as does i'd say just about literally every black or death metal band from Italy.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:46 am 

They didn't go anti-Christian, but Trouble started out fairly Christian and then dropped it. As I recall, Eric Wagner was raised Catholic and his lyrics were more a reaction to the pro-Satan crowd than a real endorsement of Christianity and later on he pretty much gave up on religion all together. Kind of ironically, Bruce Franklin became born-again around the same time that Wagner stopped writing the pro-God lyrics. I don't know if any of the other guys in the band were actually devout Christians (the old story about Jeff Olson quitting to become a minister is false).

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:52 pm 

Erotetic wrote:
I had expected this thread to be about former church-burners turning over a new leaf of boring tolerance and love.

Nobody said that it wasn't.

Quote:
At least, he was raised Catholic. Explains how he knows so much about Christianity

Doesn't necessarily, at least that would probably be more of some form of personal proclivity for studying Christianity in their case than a question of Catholic experiences, generally.

Quote:
You played in a Christian band? What was it called?

They have half of the accounts on the Metal Archives forums, all with the same name essentially.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:36 am 

chaossphere wrote:
BonziBaddy wrote:

There's plenty of those types in metal. Immolation derive their lyrical content from their Catholic upbringing, as does i'd say just about literally every black or death metal band from Italy.

Yeah, hence all the lyrics dealing with apostasy, and being a disbeliever among religious people. "I feel nothing."

Siphonoglyph
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:14 am 

Free thinking and Christianity are not mutually exclusive.

I'm a Christian and have no issues with free will, science, ... , musical taste (preference)... I always find it strange and interesting that people make those assertions and separations.

Brainded Binky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:02 am 

I believe it's cos there's so many people on both sides that complain so much about either party, you'd forget that there's a middle ground.

RealmsOfDeath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:01 pm 

Opus wrote:
TheTrueSeker wrote:

Yes that's the one! Doug Pinnick. Had it in the back of my head, but couldn't remember who it was. Christian stores stopped selling his albums when he came out 1998.
He claims they never were a Christian band, despite their first few albums being based off of C.S. Lewis' Christian fantasy novels. Once he said he smoked weed, and came out of the closet, everything by King's X was removed from most Christian bookstores. They also stopped selling anything by King's X, or any of Doug's solo material.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next