Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Terri23
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:15 am 

I've recently acquired a new computer, and it's come with Beats Audio drivers. The driver is apparently marketed toward audiophiles, yet I seem to have nothing but issues with it. It has this odd "fade" feature, which seems to try and balance out the sound, but makes metal in particular sound uneven, and weak. I wanna know if anyone here uses this technology, and if they have any tips on how to use it, some good equaliser settings, or if I should just get rid of it entirely?

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Cry_In_The_Night
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:05 am 

I personally have linux on all my systems. So this is going to be pretty nonspecific. But one thing you learn when using linux is how to evaluate driver alternatives (because a lot of them suck). I googled Beats Audio to see what it's features are. It's a bit unclear as to what it actually does, but according to this it seems to attempt to fix some percieved problems with laptop audio.

What I usually do when I need a working driver (a lot of linux drivers are super crappy and you need to check out alternative solutions) is to

1) Survey my options. If I don't use this, what should I do instead?
2) Play around with driver settings. What do they do? Is there anything that solves my issue?
3) Remove the driver and choose something else. What happens?
4) My fujitsu laptop currently doesn't have that much of a dedicated audio driver and just runs OS native sound. It functions better this way.

Problem with a lot of drivers is that depending on the general hardware setup, an attempt to fix problems with laptop audio might have some undesirable effects. In my experience, experimentation is the way to go. It's hard to fuck up a computer by testing out audio drivers.

A little bit of googling tells me that Beats Audio is specific to HP laptops which come with it. This means it should be non-essential. A lot of the stuff which comes with laptops is nothing but bloatware that isn't really that useful for anything. I don't know about this one however.

Kveldulfr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:46 pm 

I also got a HP laptop which happened to feature this Beats Audio thing but in my case the beats thing is not working and I'm just using a 'default' audio driver, which sounds fine enough.

Try this driver anyway: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63501-64000/sp63997.exe

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:34 pm 

Every laptop I've ever had came with some sort of pre-loaded audio driver and they have all been terrible. Just disable/uninstall and use whatever the default settings are. Or buy a USB sound card/DAC.

Bicro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:33 pm 

Fuuuuuuuuuck Beats anything. One pair of Sennheisers and you'll see the light. They are amazing, even the $20 ones.

Reply to topic