Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:16 am 

First, I hope I am not breaking any rules by making this thread. I am NOT asking for links or names to any blogs or downloads with this thread.

Anyway, has there been some legislation passed in the past year or so that has killed posting download links to albums on blogs? I used to be able to find albums on blogs through google no problem, but now I have a hard time finding album downloads for recent albums. In fact, I can pretty much only ever find any on one particular site, which is a message board and not a blog (and it often still doesn't have what I'm looking for). And please don't ask what site I am talking about because I am not going to tell you. I'm trying to avoid getting this thread locked.

EDIT: Before I get scolded for not supporting bands, I would just like to point out I use free downloading to decide which CDs I want to buy.

CardsOfWar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:45 am 

I don't know whether any legislation has been passed or anything, but for what it's worth, I downloaded something from a link on a blog just a couple of weeks ago.

last.fm here:
http://www.last.fm/user/CardsOfWar

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:48 am 

I find a lot of big troves of albums were lost when a lot of file hosting sites went down. Most of the links are long dead as a result. I cant speak for new stuff though.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, hole.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:58 am 

CardsOfWar wrote:
I don't know whether any legislation has been passed or anything, but for what it's worth, I downloaded something from a link on a blog just a couple of weeks ago.

Cool.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:59 am 

Crick wrote:
I find a lot of big troves of albums were lost when a lot of file hosting sites went down. Most of the links are long dead as a result. I cant speak for new stuff though.

Yes, I have run into that a lot too. :-D For new stuff I can never find any links, working or dead.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:48 am 

Yeah, when MegaUpload went down, the other big file hosting sites (Rapidshare, Mediafire, etc.) got paranoid so started wiping all that stuff and staying on top of taking down re-uploaded stuff. Around the same time it seems like blogs themselves started getting taken down more and more, so while it's definitely still possible to get stuff from blogs it's becoming more and more difficult to do so.

COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:08 am 

It's all about Russian message boards these days.
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:10 am 

Well it is true that some years ago you used to be able to find pretty much any download link on mediafire through google, but they indeed seemed to have disabled that.
But I think other links like
Spoiler: show
those from ulozto still seem to appear on google... if that helps

blogs that contain links will still appear on google search results though...

same for websites like
'get****l.org' and 'newa**********es.net'

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:45 pm 

For whatever reason, the more "obscure" and much more restricting to non premium folk ones don't seem to care. That's why most of them seem to use Uploaded, Turbobit, Rapidgator, and crap like that now. It seems only 30 minutes downloads of an EP while restricted to one download per 2-3 hours are real now.

Basically it's like pick one; buy it or spend 30+ minutes downloading even the smallest album

aaronmb666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:24 pm 

As far as filehosts, I search for
4shared, mediafire, and zippyshare
, which are free and fast. Other than that, I use torrents, such as
http://psychocydd.co.uk/
. I mainly download rare stuff. I still buy music, but from torrents, its earlier.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:48 pm 

uloz.to
is good, and to a lesser extent,
Depositfiles
is decent. That's about it nowdays.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:46 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

da. :)

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:47 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
As far as filehosts, I search for
4shared, mediafire, and zippyshare
, which are free and fast. Other than that, I use torrents, such as
. I mainly download rare stuff. I still buy music, but from torrents, its earlier.

why not just search 'rar'?

Numerator_41
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:55 pm 

Use soulseek. You can find all but the most obscure stuff, and it's much faster than most of the shitty download sites people are hosting on these days.

DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:43 pm 

Why not just listen to soundcloud or bandcamp streams, then maybe buy something worth buying?

Why do you require the need to download/own the files? ...or feel that you deserve to even for that matter?

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:30 pm 

because bandcamp nor soundcloud are always accessible.

i returned to soulseek, its in a better state now that it has been in years. Just be wary of the chatrooms, they are not for everyone.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:02 pm 

DennisDemoniarch wrote:
Why not just listen to soundcloud or bandcamp streams, then maybe buy something worth buying?

Why do you require the need to download/own the files? ...or feel that you deserve to even for that matter?

what does it matter to you whether the song is located in a temp directory or a permanent directory?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:50 pm 

Hosters that are currently fast and reliable:
rusfolder/ifolder, yandex/narod, mega, zippyshare, mediafire (rarely working)

For rusfolder a program like jdownloader is recommended because confusing wizard language makes it hard to get the download started. The great thing about it though is that many ancient downloads still work.

What's the point of putting this in spoilers by the way? It's not like they make a difference if the staff decides it's unacceptable to enable leechers by discussing sharehosters.
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

Derigin
Anthropophagus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:16 pm 

Just an observation to keep in mind. By all means, feel free to discuss the sources and the merits of piracy, but we ask that you do not link to actual pirated content. Thank you for abiding by our request.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:10 pm 

DennisDemoniarch wrote:

Those are fine, but like someone else said, they are not always available. I really wish bands who do their damnedest of keeping their albums out of download circles would at least upload their music for streaming on bandcamp or spotify.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:23 pm 

Numerator_41 wrote:
Use soulseek. You can find all but the most obscure stuff, and it's much faster than most of the shitty download sites people are hosting on these days.

I used to use soulseek a long time ago, but I soon found that I couldn't find anything I was looking for.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:25 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

I actually get most of my downloaded music from a Russian message board, but it's the only one I know of.

Derigin
Anthropophagus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:31 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist, just use one post to reply to everyone, man.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:01 pm 

Derigin wrote:
DoomMetalAlchemist, just use one post to reply to everyone, man.

Ok, sorry.

Machine_Dead wrote:
same for websites like
'get****l.org' and 'newa**********es.net'

It was easy to figure out the URL of the first site you posted, and I actually found an album I have been looking for and haven't been able to find! It's not a new album, but good enough. I have no idea what the second site is though.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:12 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
inhumanist wrote:

I actually get most of my downloaded music from a Russian message board, but it's the only one I know of.

rutracker?

entracker tends to end up with most of the same content

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:16 pm 

Erotetic wrote:

rutracker?

entracker tends to end up with most of the same content

Nah, rutracker is a torrent site, I friggin hate torrents. Sometimes I resort to torrents, but not very often. I guess I'll say the board, since it seems to ok to name these sites: Metal Area.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:09 am 

Yeah, after 2011, a lot of albums have been harder to find, but not impossible. I remember reading that piracy has actually gone down since then, probably due to the willingness of file-sharing websites to get serious about removing copyrighted content, but this may also have to do with the rise in popularity of Bandcamp among other things.

The more traditional blog hunting method isn't as effective now, but there are other search engines you can utilize that almost always get the job done. Out of respect for the rules here however I won't go into detail.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:20 am 

Nah, rutracker is a torrent site, I friggin hate torrents. Sometimes I resort to torrents, but not very often. I guess I'll say the board, since it seems to ok to name these sites: Metal Area.

how come?
I find torrents usually faster (maybe one in fifty stalls out incomplete or no longer has any seeds), but generally it's much easier for me to queue up a bunch, and forget about them, than search for rars and get capped download speeds with 'one per hour' type rules, not to mention all the captchas, it's just a hassle to me compared to having a torrent ready to go when it suits me

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:54 am 

I've had alotta problems with Rockbox torrents, which used to be my main source for metal downloads and the like. Lately, they've been spamming the shit outta me every time I go on there, Metal tracker.ru is a much more reliable torrent site, you gotta sign up and there's a 60 second wait to download anything, but it's way more reliable and less buggy than psychocydd.

Ulozto and rapishare always sketch me out when it comes to blogspot downloads. Mediafire (when working, generally if they're in a language other than English they tend to still be up more times than not), zippyshare and then occasionally yandex are the only ones I have unwavering trust for. I used to frequent this blog that specialized in Finnish black metal stuff (it got taken down a few months ago and I don't think the dude ever got another one set up, I think there's a vkontakte page for it though I have a really hard time finding it when googling it) that had a plethora of rare demos and tapes that you just couldn't find anywhere else, legally or otherwise.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:39 pm 

Erotetic wrote:

how come?
I find torrents usually faster (maybe one in fifty stalls out incomplete or no longer has any seeds), but generally it's much easier for me to queue up a bunch, and forget about them, than search for rars and get capped download speeds with 'one per hour' type rules, not to mention all the captchas, it's just a hassle to me compared to having a torrent ready to go when it suits me

Most torrents I download don't start or don't finish, plus I think using bittorrent might give me viruses or something, because it always slows down my Internet connection a lot.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:01 pm 

One word.
Soulseek

I do miss DC++ though from like 2004.

Derigin
Anthropophagus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:04 pm 

Is DC++ still as active as it used to be? I was heavily involved in it for some time in the early part of this century, but left it around 2006 or so.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:21 pm 

I have never used actual internet DC++ hubs, but when I was at college there was an intranet hub and good lord was that amazing. I'd probably find it a huge disappointment music-wise these days, but for things like TV shows and movies it was awesome. You could download Blu-ray rips in like ten seconds.

COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

Perdition666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:20 am 

I haven't touched DC++ (or soulseek for that matter) in like 4 years. Back in the mid-00's, DC++ was pretty good for nailing rare stuff (and I could get the rest on soulseek). It can be particularly good if you can get into a private hub. I pretty much switched over to torrents back in 2010, but I don't download much of anything these days. I guess most of the stuff I want isn't on the internet so I have to buy it myself. Also, I think completely burnt myself out on the spam-downloading/listening/buying cycle.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:44 pm 

Numerator_41 wrote:

this is generally good advice but new stuff is harder to find on there because people don't seem to be uploading things at any kind of the rate they used to.

DennisDemoniarch wrote:

theres plenty of music out there that is long out of print and not available legally or released in tiny amounts of copies, most of the coolest blogs put up hard to find obscure stuff.

Direnotes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:56 am 

I stream albums on my blog with Bandcamp or whatnot but I usually have permission from the bands or label before I do anything like that. Its always to promote people to pick up the album for themselves, I wouldn't ever post torrents or anything.

Jackoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:40 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:

I always wondered how many people knew of that, it seems to be a real godsend but I don't see it hanging about too much longer as it's obviously hosted in the UK, a country that don't seem too fond of torrent sites.

Reply to topic