Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thiestru
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:43 pm 

GUYS. Go watch Godzilla vs. Monster Zero and forget about this bullshit. Please.

Please check out my music at the following link. Thanks!

http://thiestru.bandcamp.com

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:44 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Man, if I met you in real life I would fart on you.

I'll hold him down!

http://extrememetalencyclopedia.webs.com/

darkeningday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:46 am 

:(

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:39 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
GUYS. Go watch Godzilla vs. Monster Zero and forget about this bullshit. Please.

Only if they watch the Japanese version with Subs.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:14 pm 

I prefer Haneke's Jesuszilla vs. Monster 0.pi, which is two hours of Japanese people crying in rubble over the corpses of their loved ones while monsters fight somewhere off camera. It's a pretty deep commentary on the state of a society that would actually find giant kaiju breathing radiation and smashing buildings to be some sort of sick "entertainment." The soundtrack is John Cage putting Bolt Thrower albums on a boombox, then throwing that boombox in a clothes dryer, recording the result and playing it back at 1/1000th speed.

COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:21 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I prefer Haneke's Jesuszilla vs. Monster 0.pi, which is two hours of Japanese people crying in rubble over the corpses of their loved ones while monsters fight somewhere off camera. It's a pretty deep commentary on the state of a society that would actually find giant kaiju breathing radiation and smashing buildings to be some sort of sick "entertainment." The soundtrack is John Cage putting Bolt Thrower albums on a boombox, then throwing that boombox in a clothes dryer, recording the result and playing it back at 1/1000th speed.

Wicked, where can I buy that soundtrack?!!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:00 pm 

:lol:

Foulchrist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:47 pm 

:lol: What the fuck is this bullshit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INmtQXUXez8

Generally don't keep up with new movies coming out and I never knew this existed.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:50 pm 

It doesn't look horrible. I've certainly seen worse remakes, and this doesn't look like it's gonna su-

Quote:
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/robocop/26503/robocop-remake-is-to-be-pg-13

Yeah, this is gonna be fucking terrible.
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:53 pm 

It looks like they tried to cram as many tired clichés into it as possible.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:37 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:

Fuck commentary hail kaiju! Someone really should play BT albums at 1/1000th speed though, i'd buy it without second thought.

ChineseDownhill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:51 pm 

Ghosts of Mars - Not sure why I bothered with this. I knew going in that (1) it's directed by John Carpenter who I don't really like, and (2) blonde goddess Natasha from Lifeforce Species was not going to disrobe. Bland visuals, unexciting action, and most of the movie was told as a flashback which almost entirely gave away which characters would live and die.

Also the general setup of 'team with futuristic equipment fights a bunch of primitive freaks' reminded me of another movie. I think it was Neil Marshall's Doomsday? Admittedly Doomsday came later, and wasn't as good as The Descent, but I remember it being better than Ghosts of Mars.

Hey speaking of Neil Marshall, is Centurion any good? It's the only one of his feature films I haven't seen. Worthwhile? Crappy 300 knock-off?

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:22 am 

You guys are all SUCKY BABIES. Haneke frightens your small minds :panda:

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:23 am 

Uh Doomsday isn't really like Ghosts of Mars, that's a bit too much of stretch although I wouldn't fault you over it because the start has traits of what you're referring to. Doomsday is more like Escape from New York and Mad Max. Doomsday is a good film if you take it as homage and tribute to those kinds of movies and not get all riled up about it being a rip off, predictable and done before. Another one that I feel is in the same league but better is Lockout starring Guy Pearce, one of the best modern action movies of 2012 as far as I'm concerned.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:14 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Hey speaking of Neil Marshall, is Centurion any good? It's the only one of his feature films I haven't seen. Worthwhile? Crappy 300 knock-off?

Nah. It's like Apocalypto but with Roman soldiers in the Britain-ish wilderness. Fassbender rules but it feels tacky a lot of the time. Same thing happened with The Eagle where the beginning makes it seem badass but then it becomes a race back to home from enemy territory. Not very interesting.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:27 am 

I actually thought Apocalypto was pretty cool. Nothing terribly deep, but it was exciting and had fantastic costumes and sets.

darkeningday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:45 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Another one that I feel is in the same league but better is Lockout starring Guy Pearce, one of the best modern action movies of 2012 as far as I'm concerned.

I loved Lockout even though it had more plot holes/random coincidences (upon which the plot entirely hinged) than any other movie I can think of. Seriously, you'd need at least three hands to count them all. Still, Lockout delivered exactly what Olympus Has Fallen couldn't as a brainless summer action movie: likable characters, amusing dialog and interesting set pieces. Unfortunately, noticeably awful CGI is something they DID have in common.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:05 am 

failsafeman wrote:
I actually thought Apocalypto was pretty cool. Nothing terribly deep, but it was exciting and had fantastic costumes and sets.

I did, too. It was bizarre, though.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:08 am 

inhumanist wrote:
It looks like they tried to cram as many tired clichés into it as possible.

Yeah? I'd blame the trailer for cramming all these cliches in those 2 minutes. I enjoyed the Robocop movies as a kid in the early 90s. It may not be as good as the Dredd remake and I have no such expectations but I do look forward to this in Feb.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:24 am 

It better be better than the Total Recall remake.

aaronmb666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:56 am 

Gotta love actors defend a PG-13 rating. It makes them look like morons:
Padilha: “We were shooting the movie to be seen by the broadest possible audience, which means PG-13. This whole idea about ‘RoboCop’ has to be “R” because the first one was amazingly violent… I never really bought into that. You know, ‘The Dark Knight’ was PG-13, so you can get away with a lot.”

Sam Jackson added, “It would be “R” for its time, not “R” now.”Padilla agreed, “Yeah, maybe now it isn’t.”

Robocop and lots of hard language and blood. Dark Knight had none of that.

Terry Crews comment on Expendables 2 was even more ridiculous, since it was originally going to be pg-13. He said that "teenagers bought tickets to Eat Pray Love and snuck into Expendables, and no one over 40 saw it. You don't need blood and language to make a good movie."
When I both, most of the people were at least 30, and with a movie like that, it's got to be rated R.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:06 pm 

failsafeman wrote:

I'm in the same boat on this one. The story is definitely nothing that compelling, but the movie is so freaking awesome to look at, lot of effort went into making it accurate.

http://www.myspace.com/thevala
http://www.last.fm/user/Diamhea

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:10 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
You guys are all SUCKY BABIES. Haneke frightens your small minds :panda:

More like we aren't so intellectually insecure that we need to feel superior by "understanding the underlying message" of movies that others "just haven't made the effort to understand and absorb!"

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:37 pm 

I do hope you're not taking my light trolling entirely seriously, my good man. I don't think less of anyone for not liking Haneke's approach. Appreciating his stuff isn't some litmus test of intelligence. It's a taste issue, that much has been made abundantly clear. This whole thing seems to have touched a nerve...

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:26 pm 

What? I was trolling you back. Maybe you just didn't make the effort to properly absorb the underlying message of my post! ;)

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:31 pm 

Damn you failesafemmaaaaannnnnn!!!

Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:34 pm 

Thinking about going to see "A Field in England" next week. Looks interesting, and I loved the directors other movies - Kill List and Sightseers.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:29 pm 

Guys, For A Few Dollars More is better than The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly. Just saying.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:55 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Guys, For A Few Dollars More is better than The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly. Just saying.

Of course it is. TG,TB,TU was way too long and plodding for me. Just went on and on and on, while there was actual structure to the first two movies. For a Few Dollars More nailed it.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:03 am 

Never go to the movies, but I saw The Grandmaster the other night. I had low expectations going in, but it turned out to be quite enjoyable. A visually impressive movie, with decent fight choreography. Less action than anticipated, but just as well. I am ashamed to admit, but all my sentences can be diagrammed in the same way.

FasterDisaster
So Fast, You'll Crash

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:15 am 

iamntbatman wrote:

Oh my god, this sounds so frightening and creepily amazing that I want to see it immediately. But, a Google search in regards to the name doesn't bring anything up except a bunch of questionable sites who happen to use the "Jesuszilla" name.

And uh... there's this as well.

Spoiler: show

Wait, I think you made this movie up.

DID SOMEBODY SAY SLAMMING BRUTAL DEATH METAL

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:18 am 

That would be a very cool idea for a movie, really. Like The Day After, if that movie were about Godzilla instead of nuclear war.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:28 pm 

Riddick - 7 out 10.

This was a hard R, fun scifi/action flick. While the trailers show it as very similar to Pitch Black, and granted there's bits here and there that is very much like it, this film is also different with it's story. Granted, the aliens this time aren't as interesting as the ones in Pitch Black, but points for creativity for how they make them a threat. They also do a nice job and connecting Pitch Black with having a character connected to another one character from that film, but I'll leave that for you guys to see. It's knew this was never going to be great, but I wanted it to be fun and I wasn't disappointed, so I'm happy.

Brave - 8.5 out of 10.

OK, I heard endless whining and complaining about this film, it's a Disney film done by Pixar, it's another unoriginal Pixar film, this proves that the Golden Age of Pixar is done. Yes, it is more Disney then Pixar, yes, it's not that original, and yes it does appear the Golden Age is over, although they have a few original ideas for the next two years so maybe a Silver age will begin. But with all that said......this is a freaking awesome movie. Visually, it was a spectacle to behold, I mean the shots of Scotland where amazing and the designs of characters where nice and crisp. While this feels like a Princess movie done by Disney, I feel the more then make up for it by not having any love interest or romance story like pretty much every other princess film, but instead focuses on a parent/child relationship between her and the mother. And I will shamelessly say that I found the jokes to be mostly funny. Also, points for being brave enough to show naked butts and cleavage. My only real complaint is at it feels rushed, it honestly could have had an extra 20 minutes to a half hour added. Still, I loved this movie, to hell with the hate for it.

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:14 pm 

The Chronicles of Riddick-Arriving on a friend's planet to seek the source of a bounty on his head, a fugitive finds them next in line to be overthrown by a vicious race of aliens and forcing him to fight alongside them to save the universe. Overall, this one wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, as I generally prefer my sci-fi to be action movies set on other worlds or slightly-altered future societies of greater technology and not much else so something like this is quite different in it's full-on sci-fi mode. There's some rather enjoyable moments here that help with that including some fine one-on-one fist-fights, a couple of explosive shoot-outs and a harrowing chase through the rocky terrain to get to safety that's quite thrilling even if nothing of a traditional action scene is present in the scene. The assault on the planet is spectacular as well with all the buzzing ships, aerial dogfights and wanton destruction of the city that's quite fun and thankfully not too CGI-heavy to make for a bland sequence, and while the plot has a lot of scatterbrained ideas and logic, it's not so bad.

Paycheck-After finishing his work for a large software corporation and learning of a change in policy afterward, a programmer goes on the run with a fellow scientist to escape from the henchmen who want him to fix his work he sabotaged before he left to help them continue their quest for world domination. Frankly, this was one of the most confusing and scatter-shot plots ever, and it's got no way to get around them since that's part of what makes the film tick as he loses his memory during the course as standard procedure for work, yet overall despite that this wasn't all that bad. The action scenes are fine if slightly too long (and coming from John Woo, who really should know how to helm an action scene like the car chase in the construction yard or the train depot shoot-out, it's a minor disappointment) yet the full-throttle nature of the plot means the continuous amount of action that's all quite fine and enjoyable enough. Once the whole ploy has been revealed and the plot makes more sense, the film moves along a lot better and doesn't really slow down, but overall this one was good if unspectacular.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

ChineseDownhill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:59 pm 

My Lords of Salem post didn't go through? Stupid unreliable $8 wireless USB thing.

So yeah, LoS wasn't that great. There were some interesting visuals and I don't dislike Rob Zombie's wife as an actress the way some people do, but for all its self-conscious weirdness the movie pretty much does what you expect it to do plot-wise. By the end I didn't really think it added up to much.

It wasn't as bad as Halloween II, at least.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:51 pm 

Who here has had the displeasure of seeing Highlander II:The Quickening?

ChineseDownhill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:44 pm 

I saw Highlander 2: Renegade Version, whatever that means. I know many people hate part 2 because it undid or contradicted part 1, but I didn't even think Highlander 1 was anything special.

I had heard Ryan "Box Office Poison" Reynolds was going to star in a remake / reboot, but I just did some googling and apparently that's no longer the case.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:49 pm 

Highlander was a great flick, but not the uber-serious fantasy epic that some people seem to take it as. It was a hilarious slice of shlock. The second one was indeed pretty awful.

Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare - 4/5

There's a lot wrong with this, from the acting to the directing to the writing, but you can't deny there's a very cool pulpy sense of old school horror passion here...it's sanctimonious and cheesy to extremes I didn't think possible, but in all its stupidity and insanity, this flick was trying to DO something and succeeded, if not in the way it wanted to. The whole thing is like a dream and just kind of floats along without much coherence, and a lot of it is just taken up by sex scenes so abundant that you'd swear John Mikl Thor was just trying to thinly disguise a crappy porno film. But there's a lot of atmosphere here and it's so funny at times that this thing becomes awesome for all its badness. A joy to behold.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:39 am 

Haha, it's funny cause I watched that JUST yesterday along with Argento and Bava's Demoni. SUCH a retarded movie that you just can't help but love. Admit the twist totally made sense.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:03 pm 

Ragin' Cajun Redneck Gators-Following a series of strange alligator attacks on their property, a bayou family puts a land-standing territory feud into hear-gear when their rival family turns into mutated gators from botched moonshine and must stop them from taking over the swamp. This here turned out to be one of the more enjoyable and entertaining efforts put out by the Sci-Fi Channel recently and has a lot going for it. One of the better efforts is the fact that there's a strong sense of cheese throughout that's not played for laughs and is kept totally straight, the comedy coming from the incredulousness of it all being depicted in the real world. From the concept of how the gators are turned to a realization of the title on their physical bodies that gives them a distinct advantage in the area as well as the physical qualities of their original personas are played up to maximum effect here, which all makes for some cheesy fun when they're placed into action here. Using the swamp-land location is a great move to give the film a pretty decent location to set it all, and there's plenty of action with several nice chases through the water and surrounding wet-lands to give off a pretty tense vibe from time-to-time. The multitude of bodies piled up allows for some pretty decent gore-shots, which do get ruined by the fact that they're all CGI which happens to be the only real fault here. The gators look a lot better than expected and anatomically don't look that far off but the glint off their bodies that is the tell-tale sign of CGI ruins the illusion somewhat. Still, the story's pretty fast-paced and the homages to the other story shoehorned into this make for a pretty enjoyable time, so overall it's just the CGI that really lowers this one.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 425, 426, 427, 428, 429, 430, 431 ... 476  Next