Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm
Posts: 4876
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:49 pm 
 

Hail Satan!

I've had the main theme stuck in my head for months.
_________________
lord_ghengis about Vomitory splitting up wrote:
They were a band who understood music needed more explosions.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 9546
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:11 pm 
 

I like it a lot, but I certainly wouldn't call it one of the scariest movies ever made. It's more weird and unsettling than scary.
_________________
antonthereaper wrote:
Seriously, why ban me??????? That topic had nothing wrong with it! Theres something wrong with you i can tell you! You're immoral banning of my account! Anyways, i'm creating my own metal arcives.

http://extrememetalencyclopedia.webs.com/

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 18740
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:30 pm 
 

I guess. It really had an impact on me last night for some reason though. The whole thing just left me feeling deeply gutted and, yeah, I suppose unsettled is the word; just the pure livid fear of a mother surrounded by conspiracy and threatened with losing her child. As I get older, even if I don't have any kids yet, that just seems so much more terrifying to me.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Robin Williams Tribute, Ender's Game

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 1826
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:55 am 
 

As Rosemary's Baby appears on almost every "Scariest Movie Ever" list ever compiled, I don't think calling it "scary" would be even remotely inappropriate. :P
_________________
The Zone takes care of its own.

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 1826
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:17 am 
 

Under_Starmere wrote:
What's your particular beef with Breaking the Waves, dd? I haven't seen it in a few years, but on my last viewing I remember it being pretty great. Probably not the sort of thing to take ABSOLUTELY seriously, 'cause it does have its whimsical and borderline silly touches, but overall a good film, I'd say.

Did you ever see The Idiots? That's another I've not seen in some time but recall being pretty damn good. I've got Europa on the queue, maybe I'll just move it up a bit there...

....ehhhyeaahh... just nudged it... ...ghh...unngg...

Whoops, missed this. I dunno! A bit like some of my posts in this thread, I thought it was great on length but short on actual content. The entire story was pretty much locked down in the first thirty minutes and very little else surprising or interesting happened for the two remaining hours:
Spoiler: show
the "simplistic" (flat-out mentally challenged?) Watson dutifully carried out the increasingly bizarre instructions of her brain-damaged husband to the point where she was violently castigated by her conservative community members who misinterpreted her acts of agape love as the philanderous wanderings of a harlot.
Everything was much too simple: the people, their motivations, the plot... even the photography! If I want a simple film, I'll go to Redbox.

However, I thought Dancer in the Dark did much of what Breaking The Waves set out to do almost infinitely better (Bjork's protag is just as--if not more--'simplistic' as Watson's character, but there's far more that lurks beneath both her surface and the people with whom she forms relationships with). It's absolutely riveting, and the emotional wallop at the end left my shattered and morose for days. You must see it.

Speaking of things that must be seen, I still need to check out The Idiots. Thanks for the reminder!
_________________
The Zone takes care of its own.

Top
 Profile  
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm
Posts: 4876
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:25 am 
 

Aye, as do I. I've really been meaning to check out more Von Trier and I think I'll start with that one + that surreal noire one who's name escapes me at the moment.
_________________
lord_ghengis about Vomitory splitting up wrote:
They were a band who understood music needed more explosions.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 1826
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:34 am 
 

The Element of Crime. Definitely not his easiest film but probably one of his most rewarding. Failsafeman wrote some really illuminating, spoiler-free stuff about it on the previous page. Check it out.
_________________
The Zone takes care of its own.

Top
 Profile  
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 4197
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:15 am 
 

@dd: Fair enough! I have seen Dancer in the Dark, but only once, years ago, when it first came out. It's occupying a high point on my queue right now, so soon I might be able to compare the two. I'm glad you guys started talking about The Element of Crime because I would've totally overlooked it otherwise. Looking at his catalogue again made me aware of Epidemic, as well, which I don't recall reading about before for some reason. Intelestiinngg...

Speaking of films you still need to watch, put Der Freie Wille at the top of your list! You won't regret it, and more importantly the American Council of Art Fags will revoke your art fag license if I report the oversight.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm a little confused and sad to see that Ben Affleck will be starring in the next Terrence Malick film. :ugh: What the fuck?
_________________
Visual Art: The Illuminated Night
Drone: IA
Shop: House of the Black Wolf

Top
 Profile  
Daysbetween
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:10 pm
Posts: 89
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:28 pm 
 

Watched an old horror film,'Terror Circus' from 1974, last night which I believe was called 'Barn of the Naked Dead' in some territories. Pretty boring and nasty film that I won't be revisiting.
2/10

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 9546
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:55 pm 
 

darkeningday wrote:
As Rosemary's Baby appears on almost every "Scariest Movie Ever" list ever compiled, I don't think calling it "scary" would be even remotely inappropriate. :P

That's more a testament to how unscary most horror movies are than how scary Rosemary's Baby is. Don't get me wrong, it's a really good movie, but I'd say The Tenant was a lot scarier as far as Polanski's work goes. Rosemary's Baby just had more of a pervasive atmosphere of discomfort and paranoia. Like the only part I'd actually say was scary about it was the drugged Satanrape part. While I wouldn't say it's a better movie, I found The Sentinel (as an example of a similar Satanic horror movie) was way scarier and more disturbing. There are quite a few genuinely disturbing scenes - the weird lesbian neighbor masturbating to orgasm through her clothes without breaking eye contact, the woman's dead father appearing to her in the attic, and of course the parade of demons at the end. In terms of pure scariness, Rosemary's Baby didn't have anything that came close to that.

What Rosemary's Baby did have, and what set it apart from other horror movies, was how it established good characters and put them in believable (though unusual) situations, where they acted in reasonable ways. For example, the sex scene when they first move into the apartment is just perfect - without telling the audience through exposition, it establishes very effectively that they've been a couple for a long time and their marriage is good. Sex isn't some huge romantic circus anymore. It's just "wanna have sex?" "ok!" and then they matter-of-factly strip down and get to it. Anyone who's been in a long-term relationship can relate to that. It was just very very well constructed from a non-horror perspective in terms of narrative structure, character development, acting, etc., which most horror movies unfortunately aren't. Something that seems to be frequently overlooked is that Ruth Gordon actually won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in the film - how many horror movies win Oscars for acting?? I really really hate to use the expression "transcends genre," but that's really what Rosemary's Baby did. It worked not only as a horror movie, but also as a drama - there are all sorts of themes of women being trapped in a patriarchy and being forced into the roles of babymakers, and the lure of power & careerism destroying Rosemary's marriage, that there's tons of stuff to chew on for pretty much anyone.
_________________
antonthereaper wrote:
Seriously, why ban me??????? That topic had nothing wrong with it! Theres something wrong with you i can tell you! You're immoral banning of my account! Anyways, i'm creating my own metal arcives.

http://extrememetalencyclopedia.webs.com/

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 5786
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:38 pm 
 

Movie of the now: ATM. It is fucking weird watching a movie with not only an adult Josh Peck, but an adult Josh Peck who is considerably foul mouthed.

EDIT: That SUCKED. Everyone in this movie except the bad guy is a complete moron. They do stuff so unbelievably stupid that there is no way that anything like this could ever logically take place outside the confines of a movie. The acting's mostly good, and the bad guy is actually quite menacing, but godDAMN is this movie ruined by the idiotic characters.
_________________
YouTube
Facebook
Sorrowseed Melodic Extreme Metal
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Top
 Profile  
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:58 am
Posts: 601
Location: India
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:35 am 
 

I wonder why the new rendition of Conan the Barbarian received so much flak. It is pretty well executed though. Although it's rather pale compared to the classic but certainly not a bad work.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 18740
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:25 am 
 

Subrick wrote:
Movie of the now: ATM. It is fucking weird watching a movie with not only an adult Josh Peck, but an adult Josh Peck who is considerably foul mouthed.

EDIT: That SUCKED. Everyone in this movie except the bad guy is a complete moron. They do stuff so unbelievably stupid that there is no way that anything like this could ever logically take place outside the confines of a movie. The acting's mostly good, and the bad guy is actually quite menacing, but godDAMN is this movie ruined by the idiotic characters.


That movie was good. Pretty enjoyable, kept the tension up, a nice atmosphere and a hilariously cool setting - an ATM box? :lol: One of the more enjoyable horror flicks of its kind, i.e. that whole 'kidnapping people in a remote location' genre, of which most of its entries are just pure crap.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Robin Williams Tribute, Ender's Game

Top
 Profile  
waiguoren
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:23 am
Posts: 2145
Location: Make a kiss to her
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:17 am 
 

doomster999 wrote:
I wonder why the new rendition of Conan the Barbarian received so much flak. It is pretty well executed though. Although it's rather pale compared to the classic but certainly not a bad work.


Uh, no. Just fucktarts no. The original has one of the best movie soundtracks of all time and there is absolutely no reason to 'remake' the fucking thing. Guys like you are the problem; stop watching remakes 'just to see if it's okay' and to compare it to the original. Fuck man, remakes aside, I'd be happy with a constant stream of Conan movies, just make them good. It's brainless to execute too, simply follow the original Robert Eggs Howard stories - Conan goes to a new place, meets a girl, she gets kidnapped, he fucks people up, rescues the girl, bangs her - simple pimples man. Throw in a few vines and racist undertones and there's ya Conan flick right there.
_________________
I am a Chinese lady with a pair of big water eyes under the long eyelashes.I don't know how beautiful i am , but people usually say that I needn't do face-painting.

Top
 Profile  
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:58 am
Posts: 601
Location: India
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:39 am 
 

waiguoren wrote:
doomster999 wrote:
I wonder why the new rendition of Conan the Barbarian received so much flak. It is pretty well executed though. Although it's rather pale compared to the classic but certainly not a bad work.


Uh, no. Just fucktarts no. The original has one of the best movie soundtracks of all time and there is absolutely no reason to 'remake' the fucking thing. Guys like you are the problem; stop watching remakes 'just to see if it's okay' and to compare it to the original. Fuck man, remakes aside, I'd be happy with a constant stream of Conan movies, just make them good. It's brainless to execute too, simply follow the original Robert Eggs Howard stories - Conan goes to a new place, meets a girl, she gets kidnapped, he fucks people up, rescues the girl, bangs her - simple pimples man. Throw in a few vines and racist undertones and there's ya Conan flick right there.


Who the fuck compared it to the original? And I didn't mention anything about soundtrack. I just stated that it's not fair the way critics have compared it to the original to bash it unanimously, it's definitely not a contest to the original but it's not a bad representation overall. And no, I'm not one of those 'comparison guys'. I don't compare bands, I don't compare anything in general. I'm completely against it. I just said it's a different interpretation and not as bad as the critics have made it out to be. And god damn it's not as simple as you're saying, "Conan goes to a new place, meets a girl, she gets kidnapped, he fucks people up, rescues the girl, bangs her - simple pimples man." The background is adapted from some topics in The Hour of the Dragon like The Mask of Acheron, but the script is not a direct rip-off from any of the Robert E. Howard novels.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
waiguoren
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:23 am
Posts: 2145
Location: Make a kiss to her
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:49 am 
 

Who compared it to the original? You did. You're completely against comparing anything in general? That's great. I wish temperature had no meaning for me, too - I'd be out in my mankini 24/7 then.
_________________
I am a Chinese lady with a pair of big water eyes under the long eyelashes.I don't know how beautiful i am , but people usually say that I needn't do face-painting.

Top
 Profile  
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:58 am
Posts: 601
Location: India
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:04 am 
 

What I did I've explained thoroughly above. I can't help if your comprehension or rather eyesight is poor.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Poisonfume
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:26 pm
Posts: 1119
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:10 am 
 

CRAM, WHERE IS DA WIZARD WHO KILLED MY MADAA?
_________________
LegendMaker on pointless genre dissection wrote:
Will you in turn help me classify the shemale/ladyboy, tranny/ladyboy, ladyboy-shemale/tranny, and tranny-ladyboy/shemale sub-folders of my shemale/ladyboy/tranny collection?

Top
 Profile  
waiguoren
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:23 am
Posts: 2145
Location: Make a kiss to her
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:12 am 
 

Well bumster666, you got me there. I haven't seen the remake of Conan: The Barbarian. It's this shoddy eyesight of mine, bum rap but at least I still have two elbows. I use them to bend my arms.
_________________
I am a Chinese lady with a pair of big water eyes under the long eyelashes.I don't know how beautiful i am , but people usually say that I needn't do face-painting.

Top
 Profile  
waiguoren
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:23 am
Posts: 2145
Location: Make a kiss to her
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:14 am 
 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7tOWoDVQLU
_________________
I am a Chinese lady with a pair of big water eyes under the long eyelashes.I don't know how beautiful i am , but people usually say that I needn't do face-painting.

Top
 Profile  
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:58 am
Posts: 601
Location: India
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:30 am 
 

waiguoren wrote:
Well bumster666, you got me there. I haven't seen the remake of Conan: The Barbarian. It's this shoddy eyesight of mine, bum rap but at least I still have two elbows. I use them to bend my arms.


Pity! At least I've been sharply sarcastic but you're being openly insulting. what's the matter with you man? You can't converse in a healthy manner or what?
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 8574
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:15 pm 
 

Man, Doomster, you're always on the defensive, Waiguoren's first reply wasn't even insulting. That's not the first time I see this kind of discussion with your involvement, but yeah it must everyone else, eh?

That's a comparison by the way and Waiguoren was right to say what he said:
Quote:
It is pretty well executed though. Although it's rather pale compared to the classic but certainly not a bad work.


I enjoyed the remake just because I have a mancrush on Jason Momoa :)
_________________
Metantoine's Magickal Realm - review: Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden
Last.fm
Halberd (doom/death)

Top
 Profile  
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:58 am
Posts: 601
Location: India
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:51 pm 
 

Metantoine wrote:
Man, Doomster, you're always on the defensive, Waiguoren's first reply wasn't even insulting. That's not the first time I see this kind of discussion with your involvement, but yeah it must everyone else, eh?

That's a comparison by the way and Waiguoren was right to say what he said:


Yea, it must be the arguments I've got into with caspian and Ilwhyan. I understand, but "Guys like you are the problem; stop watching remakes 'just to see if it's okay' and to compare it to the original." - I found it pretty offensive particularly when I've said nothing unusual about the original film. How could he come to this kind of conclusion without having a detailed conversation? Plus, I've pointed out later that what I've said about the comparison is about how critics have bashed it by using comparisons with the original and it's not quite fair, it might be no contest for the original but it's certainly not a bad representation.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 5786
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:04 pm 
 

Watched The Innkeepers last night and loved it. I don't think I had the same amount of undying enjoyment for it as I did The House of the Devil, but it's still an incredible horror flick that shows that Ti West knows exactly what he's doing and is very, very good at what he does.

Well, unless he does anthology movies. His segments in V/H/S and The ABCs of Death sucked.
_________________
YouTube
Facebook
Sorrowseed Melodic Extreme Metal
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Top
 Profile  
lord_ghengis
Metal freak

Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:31 pm
Posts: 5371
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:47 pm 
 

doomster999 wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
Man, Doomster, you're always on the defensive, Waiguoren's first reply wasn't even insulting. That's not the first time I see this kind of discussion with your involvement, but yeah it must everyone else, eh?

That's a comparison by the way and Waiguoren was right to say what he said:


Yea, it must be the arguments I've got into with caspian and Ilwhyan. I understand, but "Guys like you are the problem; stop watching remakes 'just to see if it's okay' and to compare it to the original." - I found it pretty offensive particularly when I've said nothing unusual about the original film. How could he come to this kind of conclusion without having a detailed conversation? Plus, I've pointed out later that what I've said about the comparison is about how critics have bashed it by using comparisons with the original and it's not quite fair, it might be no contest for the original but it's certainly not a bad representation.


It's pretty easy to see what Waiguoren was getting at there. He was taking a stance against your "The movie was ok in itself" point, he wasn't commenting on anything you said about the original. Basically, by saying it doesn't live up to the original but is enjoyable enough in it's own right, you gave enough detail for him to make his point, since his point is entirely related to how people look at remakes in general, rather than this specific case. It could be easily summed up as "People shouldn't aim for remakes being merely competent, they should demand they be better than what they're remaking", if you removed the context of this specific movie from it. I don't really agree with his stance myself, but it's not a hard one to understand, and I can see why the comparison's the the original are fair.

As other people have said in here in the past, people should remake bad movies that messed up good ideas, not the ones that got it right.
_________________
Naamath wrote:
No comments, no words need it, no BM, no compromise, only grains in her face.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 18740
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:55 pm 
 

Subrick wrote:
Watched The Innkeepers last night and loved it. I don't think I had the same amount of undying enjoyment for it as I did The House of the Devil, but it's still an incredible horror flick that shows that Ti West knows exactly what he's doing and is very, very good at what he does.

Well, unless he does anthology movies. His segments in V/H/S and The ABCs of Death sucked.


It was a joke. If it were selling itself as a romantic comedy, that's fine, it did good at that, but the horror elements were really weakly crammed in at the end and, as an added insult, made almost no sense. It was like somebody was writing an indie romance flick and then had a schizophrenic attack and then wrote a horror movie ending. Totally weak...and the V/H/S segment was easily his best work yet I think.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Robin Williams Tribute, Ender's Game

Top
 Profile  
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm
Posts: 4876
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:03 pm 
 

Slumber Party Massacre: so yes, this exists. It's like somebody wrote a parody of slasher flicks, but halfway through, had a stroke or something and forgot that it was kidding so it decided to play it straight. Really bizarre shit happens in this movie, every character is mentally retarded, the killer is the most uninteresting and straightforward dude ever, the kills frequenly cut away, then it just sort of ends. And I loved it.
_________________
lord_ghengis about Vomitory splitting up wrote:
They were a band who understood music needed more explosions.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Top
 Profile  
soul_schizm
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:55 am
Posts: 643
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:43 pm 
 

doomster999 wrote:
Who the fuck compared it to the original? And I didn't mention anything about soundtrack. I just stated that it's not fair the way critics have compared it to the original to bash it unanimously.


Are these the same critics who nearly unanimously bashed the *original*?

Top
 Profile  
soul_schizm
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:55 am
Posts: 643
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:52 pm 
 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Slumber Party Massacre: so yes, this exists. It's like somebody wrote a parody of slasher flicks, but halfway through, had a stroke or something and forgot that it was kidding so it decided to play it straight. Really bizarre shit happens in this movie, every character is mentally retarded, the killer is the most uninteresting and straightforward dude ever, the kills frequenly cut away, then it just sort of ends. And I loved it.


Well yeah, it was 1982, and everyone and their brother was trying to film some junky thing and put it on a VHS tape to try to cash in.

It was an interesting time for movie making. Most of the stuff put out back then is hilarious. But it was fun anyway.

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 5786
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:59 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
It was a joke. If it were selling itself as a romantic comedy, that's fine, it did good at that, but the horror elements were really weakly crammed in at the end and, as an added insult, made almost no sense. It was like somebody was writing an indie romance flick and then had a schizophrenic attack and then wrote a horror movie ending. Totally weak...and the V/H/S segment was easily his best work yet I think.


Dude, the basement scene. How they never actually show the ghost behind Luke, preferring instead to show his and Claire's faces, he in absolute terror and she in complete disbelief that she's seeing Madeline O'Malley. That scene is terrifying.

Also, what in the ending didn't make sense to you?
Spoiler: show
If it was Claire dying, they show that she dropped her inhaler when she fell down the stairs and she had an asthma attack when Madeline's ghost came near her. As for the old man, I just assumed he was a ghost too since he disappeared behind Claire when she was getting sheets without him actually moving, plus it fit the "three spirits" thing Leanne mentioned earlier, the first two being Madeline and the old man, and the third being Claire since she dies in the hotel too.
_________________
YouTube
Facebook
Sorrowseed Melodic Extreme Metal
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Top
 Profile  
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm
Posts: 4876
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:19 pm 
 

The Sentinel: This is the kind of movie that takes the build up for a long time and give hints of terror before going full throttle towards the end. It had it's share of pretty unsettling moments and is overall an effective film. I like the premise, the acting was decent, and very young Jeff Goldblum has his voice dubbed, while very young Christopher Walken does nothing. I felt the cop investigation side plot was only there to provide exposition, and didn't even tie in to the story or conclude in a satisfactory manner, but I liked the husband character even despite the fact that he was a piece of shit and you end up learning some unsavory things about him.
I didn't really like the soundtrack very much, but the locations looked gorgeous and the film had quite good pacing. I expected a lot more from
Spoiler: show
the fucking GATES OF HELL leaking
but that's probably because I'm a spoiled horror hound.
_________________
lord_ghengis about Vomitory splitting up wrote:
They were a band who understood music needed more explosions.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Top
 Profile  
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:58 am
Posts: 601
Location: India
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:10 pm 
 

lord_ghengis wrote:
As other people have said in here in the past, people should remake bad movies that messed up good ideas, not the ones that got it right.


Well, I can't agree with that since I've enjoyed both the first movie of the Spider-Man trilogy and the first one of the rebooted Amazing Spiderman series. Actually I liked the later more as the new series is focusing more on the original comic strip. As long as a particular filmmaker can gather prolific ideas for a remake I'll encourage it.

Edit: P.S. - Certainly won't encourage something like the remake of The Omen.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 18740
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:03 pm 
 

Subrick wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
It was a joke. If it were selling itself as a romantic comedy, that's fine, it did good at that, but the horror elements were really weakly crammed in at the end and, as an added insult, made almost no sense. It was like somebody was writing an indie romance flick and then had a schizophrenic attack and then wrote a horror movie ending. Totally weak...and the V/H/S segment was easily his best work yet I think.


Dude, the basement scene. How they never actually show the ghost behind Luke, preferring instead to show his and Claire's faces, he in absolute terror and she in complete disbelief that she's seeing Madeline O'Malley. That scene is terrifying.

Also, what in the ending didn't make sense to you?
Spoiler: show
If it was Claire dying, they show that she dropped her inhaler when she fell down the stairs and she had an asthma attack when Madeline's ghost came near her. As for the old man, I just assumed he was a ghost too since he disappeared behind Claire when she was getting sheets without him actually moving, plus it fit the "three spirits" thing Leanne mentioned earlier, the first two being Madeline and the old man, and the third being Claire since she dies in the hotel too.


The whole horror plot element was confusing.

Spoiler: show
So it's supposed to be a metaphor for her asthma attack...but then there's also some old man ghost guy who scares her and appears in visions well before the ending. He's really there, since we see those scenes of him checking into the hotel, but then the actual last scene doesn't acknowledge him at all, more implying that she just had an attack and hallucinated the whole thing.


It was just a clusterfuck of an ending that relied on too much guesswork and assumption to be effective. If it wanted to try its hand at an ambiguous ending, it was a very poor attempt at that.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Robin Williams Tribute, Ender's Game

Top
 Profile  
inhumanist
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 4204
Location: 50 Forts Along The Rhine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:26 pm 
 

doomster999 wrote:
Well, I can't agree with that since I've enjoyed both the first movie of the Spider-Man trilogy and the first one of the rebooted Amazing Spiderman series. Actually I liked the later more as the new series is focusing more on the original comic strip. As long as a particular filmmaker can gather prolific ideas for a remake I'll encourage it.

Didn't watch the new Spider Man movie, but Red Letter Media says your enjoyment is misguided and wrong.
_________________
Celtic Frosted Flakes wrote:
Compared to how it is here in Sweden, fascism sounds like paradise.
Metantoine wrote:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Top
 Profile  
volutetheswarth
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:37 pm
Posts: 1227
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:28 pm 
 

So The ABC's of Death was mostly bad. I think the problem is there are too many shorts, some directors thought it best for a quick punch-line entry (Andrew Traucki) while others had half thought out ideas (Ben Wheatley). Ti West's was one of the worst and generally shameful in effort. It also overall felt too random in subject matter, genre and structure. Srdjan Spasojevic, Jon Schnepp and Xavier Gens' segments were all good, and Kaare Andrews' sci-fi segment had potential, but the lesser segments really bring down this movie where I found myself hard pressed to not skip a few minutes here and there. I think it best for anybody curious to track down the directors they like or are familiar with and watch those entries separately.

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 5786
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:40 pm 
 

The ABCs of Death I found interesting just because of how fucking weird many of the segments were. D is for Dogfight and S is for Speed were my favorites, and Q is for Quack I thought was the funniest.
_________________
YouTube
Facebook
Sorrowseed Melodic Extreme Metal
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Top
 Profile  
EssexCounty
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:21 pm
Posts: 31
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:46 pm 
 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Slumber Party Massacre: so yes, this exists. It's like somebody wrote a parody of slasher flicks, but halfway through, had a stroke or something and forgot that it was kidding so it decided to play it straight. Really bizarre shit happens in this movie, every character is mentally retarded, the killer is the most uninteresting and straightforward dude ever, the kills frequenly cut away, then it just sort of ends. And I loved it.


I like Slumber party Massacre for some strange reason. There are actually three of them. I found them at my house 10 years ago double-taped on VHS. I eventually bought them all on DVD. You can find all three on youtube in full... If you have time to waste, watch them for a laugh. The 1st one is the best and the 2nd one is the cheesiest of them all. The “killer” goes around rocking out on his guitar/drill/killing machine. Watch the trailer for the 2nd one if anything.

Top
 Profile  
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm
Posts: 4876
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:11 pm 
 

Oh I plan to watch them at some point. Like I said, I liked the first one and I'm a big fan of slasher flicks.
_________________
lord_ghengis about Vomitory splitting up wrote:
They were a band who understood music needed more explosions.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Top
 Profile  
EssexCounty
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:21 pm
Posts: 31
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:17 pm 
 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Oh I plan to watch them at some point. Like I said, I liked the first one and I'm a big fan of slasher flicks.


Have you seen Demons or Demons 2? I rewatched both films a few weeks ago and was happy with them. I hadn’t seen either since I was a kid so I caught more the second time around. Both are written by Dario Argento just in case you are, or if there are any movie buffs out there. The first consists of people trapped in a movie theater that is overrun by demons (kind of like zombies)…. And the second is a group of people trapped in a high rise apartment building. They're on youtube too.

Top
 Profile  
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm
Posts: 4876
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:26 pm 
 

Haven't seen those since I was a kid, but they're on my watch list. Which is like 20 movies long :lol:
_________________
lord_ghengis about Vomitory splitting up wrote:
They were a band who understood music needed more explosions.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 389, 390, 391, 392, 393, 394, 395 ... 481  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: marcomai, MrMcThrasher II, OpsiusCato, PhilosophicalFrog, Uncolored, Unity, Yahoo [Bot] and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group