Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:30 am 

Just came back from Nocturnal Animals. What a strange film. Definitely not what I expected based on the trailer. Very odd, trippy, visually stunning, almost Lynchian film with a great soundtrack and acting. Definitely a fun one to discuss afterward.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:32 am 

Arrival was exceptional. I hope it will be remembered as fondly as 2001: A Space Odyssee is remembered now. On a sidenote I hope Interstellar will be forgotten.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:58 am 

why wrote:
On a sidenote I hope Interstellar will be forgotten.
Ooh edgy. There's like a ton of crap sci-fi like Virus and The Last Days on Mars, and you're gonna pick on the one that at least tried something epic and visually stunning with great dramatic performances from John Lithgow, Matthew McConaughey, David Gyasi and Jessica Chastain, that's way more intellectually stimulating and thought provoking than some middling purely visual effort like Gravity. Sure, the ending is a little much and it might not be "trve science fact-ion" but it's hardly something that voids the entertainment, emotional roller-coaster and suspense of the movie. Edit: Plus an awesome as fuck spinning robot thingy.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:15 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
why wrote:
On a sidenote I hope Interstellar will be forgotten.
Ooh edgy. There's like a ton of crap sci-fi like Virus and The Last Days on Mars, and you're gonna pick on the one that at least tried something epic and visually stunning with great dramatic performances from John Lithgow, Matthew McConaughey, David Gyasi and Jessica Chastain, that's way more intellectually stimulating and thought provoking than some middling purely visual effort like Gravity. Sure, the ending is a little much and it might not be "trve science fact-ion" but it's hardly something that voids the entertainment, emotional roller-coaster and suspense of the movie. Plus an awesome as fuck spinning robot thingy.

Granted, I loved the movie until THAT THING happened at the end. Even that was visually perfect... but it ruined the whole tone that was established previously. It was so out of place that I left the theater feeling really bitter about it and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to forget that. Arrival manages to keep the tone,

Spoiler: show
even if its ending is really similar. Finding a method to transcend space and time (and send "messages" through spacetime) doesn't come out of the blue in Arrival, it doesn't feel like a deus ex machina and the whole movie is very good at establishing how the ending could be explained without giving anything away too early. The twist that the scenes with her daughter that appear to the viewer to be from the past are actually in the future works so well because it is consistent with the entire narrative. It also works on a fucked up and truly ingenious meta level where the viewer himself sees past, present and future as interchangable in the moment he realizes how the twist works. Interstellar on the other hand had this half/full scientific approach until the ending was like "well, it's universal LOVE bitches, whatever". I will never be able to forgive that, even if I LOVED everything else about the movie.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:21 am 

I thought both Arrival and Interstellar were excellent films and wouldn't say one was that much better than the other.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:25 am 

It's edgy to hate on Interstellar now? And you mention that it's visually stunning but in the same breath piss on Gravity? Interstellar looked great, but was really fucking stupid, and spent all it's energy on a fucking herp-de-derp-Muuuurph when the entire premise was "Let's save goddamn humanity". I understand why it must've been cool to watch it for the first time in the theater but I don't get why people defend any criticism against it with such fervour, especially the stupid ass plot complete with deus ex machina or the forced human drama.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:54 am 

I absolutely loved Interstellar and didn't think any of it was stupid or that they spent too much time or Murph or anything like that. Thought it was an excellent film.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:28 pm 

Can't even put into words how much I disliked Interstellar. The only things halfway acceptable were Matt Damon showing up midway through practically out of nowhere and the monolith robot thing, which was way cuter than the JJ robot in SW. Everything else either had me cringing or struggling to stay awake.

And at least Virus had some nice practical effects here and there.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:48 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Can't even put into words how much I disliked Interstellar.

Thank god

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:05 pm 

I finally saw Shin Godzilla last night. Holy shit! What a cool movie. It's easily the best Godzilla film since Godzilla vs. Destoroyah. This reimagined version of Godzilla himself was really weird, though. Not quite sure what I think about it. But damn, I can't wait for a legitimate home video release.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:45 pm 

^I missed the two screenings in my city, but everything I've heard about Shin Godzilla has been good. Looking forward to watching it.

Anyone have thoughts on Ravenous? What an oddball movie! I really liked it though, the strange dashes of humour and absurdity to the horror and cannibalism really worked for me on a few levels. One, the movie would have been pretty damn bleak without them, which is fine, but the strange laughs really gave it a unique character. Secondly, I think that's how humour works sometimes in real life- laughing to break tension, or finding something funny in a situation where it's completely inappropriate to laugh. It felt quite natural. Plus, Robert Carlyle was great.

"It's lonely being a cannibal. Tough making friends." :lol:

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:27 pm 

Ravenous seriously needs a non-US Blu-ray release :( The DVD I have of it is a terrible fuzzy unwatchable mess, and it's one of the better DVD versions!

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:38 pm 

Ah Ravenous is great! The atmosphere, cast, dialogue, setting... are all really well done. What an enjoyable and fun B-movie.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:43 am 

To be fair, Gravity would have been wonderful if it was a silent film, the dialogue was friggen AWFUL in that movie.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:47 am 

Kerrick wrote:
Ah Ravenous is great! The atmosphere, cast, dialogue, setting... are all really well done. What an enjoyable and fun B-movie.

DoomGuild
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:22 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The Machinist is a good movie. Maybe a bit too close to Fight Club in some aspects, but it is still very good. Christian Bale being the main reason.

How is it close to Fight Club in some aspects? Completely different movies with completely different styles.

DoomGuild
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:23 pm 

We recently watched The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo movie with Daniel Craig. What a pile of shit that film was. I'm a huge fan of the books but damnit this one didn't do it justice. If you go into it without knowing the story you'd leave fucking clueless.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:53 pm 

DoomGuild wrote:
How is it close to Fight Club in some aspects? Completely different movies with completely different styles.

Man, you found a really old post.

They are alike in the fact that both are chiefly in the headspace of one main character and then are not immediately what they seem to be, and the movie drastically changes because of that at the end. I always found them similar in that way, along with some others like Primal Fear, etc. The Number 23 is another one, but that movie is a pile of shit.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:29 pm 

DoomGuild wrote:
We recently watched The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo movie with Daniel Craig. What a pile of shit that film was. I'm a huge fan of the books but damnit this one didn't do it justice. If you go into it without knowing the story you'd leave fucking clueless.

I went in not knowing much about it (never read the books, never saw the original Noomi Rapace movies) and could follow it just fine since it's a pretty straightforward mystery. If you're referring to things that happen afterward and were hinted at in the (unnecessary) epilogue then I guess, but...

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:27 pm 

Agreed. Simple story. I thought the original version was better and more believable, Fincher's version was far too polished and grim to look at it, plus Craig was a mannequin in most scenes.

If The Number 23 had a decent reveal if wouldn't have been shit, it was really intriguing and gripping until that idiotic M. Night Shyamalan-esque reveal.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:53 pm 

I never saw the David Fincher version, but the Swedish version was quite entertaining, and had a good atmosphere/setting. Unfortunately the two sequels really weren't all that great - it shifts from being "unlikely duo investigate a mystery in a cool location" to being a thriller about the two protagonists specifically - the titular girl's past in particular. I much, much rather would've seen more movies about them going to different places and solving mysteries, a la Holmes/Watson and other detective duos.

Also, a problem the series had in general was it tried wayyyyy too hard to be edgy. I get that rape and the consequences of rape are a big theme of the series, but c'mon, these movies are supposed to be entertaining. It gets really graphic and unpleasant, and even cartoonishly over-the-top at times.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:17 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Also, a problem the series had in general was it tried wayyyyy too hard to be edgy. I get that rape and the consequences of rape are a big theme of the series, but c'mon, these movies are supposed to be entertaining. It gets really graphic and unpleasant, and even cartoonishly over-the-top at times.
Somewhat true, in comparison to something like Gone Girl though it's quite tame. Gone Girl was trying it's hardest to be edgy and shocking that I loathed almost all the characters. Tasteless erotic crime thriller filth.

Arrival movie session postponed. Hoping I catch it before it leaves cinemas (in Australia movies that aren't Marvel or Transformers last for a month at the cinema)

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:22 pm 

Ah, well I never saw Gone Girl. I can tell it's not the kind of movie I'd like.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:02 am 

I thought Gone Girl was great. Both the movie and the book were excellent... I didn't find it tasteless or anything like that, just gripping crime thriller with a great twist. Also really liked both the Swedish and American Girl with the Dragon Tattoos, though it's been a while since I've seen those.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:10 am 

Gone Girl really didn't work for me, felt like a gender swapped Hallmark midday movie. I don't particularly care about the media stuff impact stuff that was probably the best aspect of the movie, I couldn't believe that there wasn't evidence against the villain with all those cameras around, and I didn't like the ambiguous ending much either, even though I can't remember what it was exactly haha. Dunno, just felt like a straightforward schlocky movie which didn't lend itself to that sort of climax, just felt like they cut off the end of the film.

Sadly, I know my local cinema too well, Arrival is off after like two weeks and I missed my chance. Damn rural bumpkins.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:51 am 

I too thought Gone Girl was really, really bad. I mean, I've seen a lot of movies that I disliked, but I was actually angry that I wasted my time on that one. I didn't care for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo either. In fact, I strongly dislike the entire rape & revenge subgenre. It's extremely distasteful, and I always come away feeling empty and filthy. Roger Ebert basically summed up my thoughts on it in his excellent review for I Spit on Your Grave. Obviously rape is an odious, horrible act - everybody knows that. But the victim always ends up just as villainous as her attackers by sinking to their level of cruelty and barbarity. I know that it can be gratifying to see the bad guys get their comeuppance, but there's a limit. 'When fighting monsters....', and all that, basically.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:55 am 

Thiestru wrote:
I too thought Gone Girl was really, really bad. I mean, I've seen a lot of movies that I disliked, but I was actually angry that I wasted my time on that one. I didn't care for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo either. In fact, I strongly dislike the entire rape & revenge subgenre. It's extremely distasteful, and I always come away feeling empty and filthy. Roger Ebert basically summed up my thoughts on it in his excellent review for I Spit on Your Grave. Obviously rape is an odious, horrible act - everybody knows that. But the victim always ends up just as villainous as her attackers by sinking to their level of cruelty and barbarity. I know that it can be gratifying to see the bad guys get their comeuppance, but there's a limit. 'When fighting monsters....', and all that, basically.

I'm with you. Quentin Tarantino is one who obviously didn't get that memo.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:43 pm 

I thought Gone Girl was pretty good. Nothing I'm going to rush out to see again or anything, but I enjoyed it for what it was. As for no likeable characters...

...I think that was the point. At the end when Tyler Perry is telling them that they're made for each other (or something to that effect, it's been a little while), I think that summed up the intent/conclusion-to-be-drawn of the movie. The first half was about how terrible of a person Affleck was and the second half about how terrible Rosamund Pike actually was.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:17 pm 

Oldboy is the alpha and omega of the revenge genre. Doesn't need to be no rape involved to reach maximum cruelty.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:43 pm 

Yeah. All you need is a hammer, a hallway, and a little bit o' incest.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:42 pm 

Thiestru wrote:

Roger Ebert was at the best of times a good reviewer although it's hard to take Robert Ebert seriously when he went on a hate campaign against slasher movies, because "they encouraged and glorified rape and murder" and the "directors should be locked up" apparently. Honestly he used his own social/political agenda to influence his reviews, injecting far too much of an obvious ill-conceived bias.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:55 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
I thought Gone Girl was pretty good. Nothing I'm going to rush out to see again or anything, but I enjoyed it for what it was. As for no likeable characters...

...I think that was the point. At the end when Tyler Perry is telling them that they're made for each other (or something to that effect, it's been a little while), I think that summed up the intent/conclusion-to-be-drawn of the movie. The first half was about how terrible of a person Affleck was and the second half about how terrible Rosamund Pike actually was.

Well if the point was for me to loathe the characters, not believe a single bit of dialogue and visibly cringe at edgy semi-porn movie dialogue, zero relatability, how positively stupid the law enforcement is (comparable to CSI), to dispose of the mystery element halfway in a "betchadidn'tsee-dat-one-coming" bullshit twist, that everything is conveniently orchestrated down to a fantastical fairy tale and walk away feeling disgusted and having my intelligence insulted with stupid nonsense then well done to the movie.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:29 pm 

It's too depressing in here. This thread needs some Moana, as does everyone posting in it. Fantastic modern Disney film, even if it doesn't deviate too far from the traditional narrative formula.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:00 am 

I watched Don't Breathe yesterday morning and thought it was really good. Now that's how you do a home-invasion thriller.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:06 am 

I thought that one was pretty decent, but it was mostly boring until about halfway through and it ended up going on a little long. I didn't really like the characters much either. But it did have some surprising twists in the middle that were fun.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:08 am 

I see what you mean about the characters, but I liked that Rocky had an understandable reason for doing what she was doing, even a sympathetic one. Money was basically just an asshole, and was easily the stupidest and greediest one of the three, but
he paid for that quickly
. I don't have a whole lot to say about it other than that; it's not a movie to be picked apart (as I'm wont to do with masterpieces like The Exorcist). It was just a fun after-work (I work overnight) flick.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:29 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
I watched Don't Breathe yesterday morning and thought it was really good. Now that's how you do a home-invasion thriller.

Agreed, much better than something like The Collector. I just wish the trailer for Don't Breathe didn't give away so much.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:15 am 

Got this haul today at the Spooky Empire horror con...real excited. Good time. That's a signed Halloween picture by Tony Moran, who was Michael Myers in the original movie. He was a cool guy.

I saw the first All Hallows Eve movie - finally, a really good, scary as fuck movie with a clown in it. This was brutally good. Crazy horror imagery and great suspense... it really proves just how much horror is all about the atmosphere. So much of this was kind of nonsensical and goofy if you thought about what was happening, but the sequence of events worked on a primal level, really just hitting you where you live so to speak and working through the sheer wrongness and alienation of everything happening, the utter terror and unrelenting nature of the imagery and suspense. It was all laid on so thick that I was fucking drawn in. Super intense, horrific shit. I had a lot of fun.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:46 am 

^That's a weird cover of The Brood, never seen that one... Looks good but gives away the ending.

Good set of horror movie stuff there.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:05 am 

It's a Criterion Collection version with a ton of extra shit on it on a second disc. I guess it's kinda a spoiler, but honestly, if you'd never seen the movie, you wouldn't know who that is or what it means, as far as I remember.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 623, 624, 625, 626, 627, 628, 629 ... 818  Next