Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:07 pm 

Marvel movies are just mindless fun. Even if the comics are deeper, I don't expect a well developed script from the adaptations to screen. Those movies cater to the teen to young adult demographic, more the former than the latter.

The Thor movies are horrible tho. The rest? Excepting Spider Man and the Wolverine ones I can tolerate them (the first X men saga was really bad as well, now with the new ones they've been improving).

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:55 pm 

Some posters need to lighten up when it comes to comic-book/superhero movies. It's as though most were expecting high art or something, when these movies are mostly appealing for fun, humour laiden entertainment. There is however a difference between Tranformers and the Marvel movies. Tranformers is incoherent noise with shaky cam, action scenes that are almost impossible to comprehend in terms of geography and who's fighting who. It's a CGI shitfest or epic proportions, whereas Marvel only uses it when it suits the story, it doesn't feel unnecessary. There's really little in the way of building up characters to care about, and only the absolute main characters have any personality or character. And the humour which is used is dumb and highly obnoxious, it hasn't even graduated to high school level.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:27 pm 

So netflix has Avengers but not Thor or Captain America. Huh. Oh well, guess it will be right to Avengers then.

Oh, and Iron Man 2 sucked donkey balls compared to the first one.

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:39 pm 

The Marvel movies are paced about the same with the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Balance of action/humor, larger plot points drawn out through clever mini stories. The Marvel universe is massive though, whereas the Pirates gimmick was burnt by the sequel.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:43 pm 

I remember the last time I tried to watch At World's End and I just couldn't get it out of my head that many of the cast members had absolutely no idea what was going on in the plot they were filming. It's like the script was written on an as-needed basis by an ad hoc committee.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:01 am 

I've never seen At World's End, but by all accounts it sounds like some legendarily bloated clusterfuck of a movie. I don't intend to waste 3 hours of my life on that, so I'll just continue going by second hand analysis.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:09 am 

The fourth Pirates movie is the worst, and that's saying a lot considering the two before it.

Watched The Haunting (1963) a few days ago and that was amazingly good - classic, elegant and dark horror with a lot of ambiguity. Now re-watching Near Dark for the first time in years...what a classic.

On the other hand I tried Ginger Snaps and couldn't finish it. Really mean-spirited, unpleasant movie really.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:13 am 

I saw the fourth one in theaters. I hated it.

Have you ever suffered through the remake of The Haunting?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:00 am 

Empyreal wrote:
The fourth Pirates movie is the worst, and that's saying a lot considering the two before it.

Why did you keep watching them if you thought they were bad? When the first sequel is poor I pretty much expect the rest to be of a similar or worse quality and won't watch them without hearing some good things first.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:04 am 

The Exorcist III says hello. it's simply brilliant.

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:25 pm 

Fuck, the trailer for "The Babadook" looks so promising. I really hope it's a real monster and not completely imagined by the crazy mother...which is what the trailer seemed to be leaning toward. That would truly suck. The artwork looked great, just creepy oldschool boogeyman stuff. Expectations = high.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:30 pm 

I posted a review of it on the last page after seeing a screening. I loved it and most of the reviews are quite positive, although there is a minority that were disappointed.

I don't want to spoil anything, just go see it.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:34 pm 

I thought The Babadook looked interesting but screenings have ended in my area. I sure as hell hope it's not another "monster movie". Psychological horror works better and for me at least is much scarier. Probably a good thing I won't be able to see it then, as I don't know if I'd cope with this one.

It's been a rather shit year for movies, I'd have said. I'll probably go and see Pride but there's not much on the horizon I'm interested in.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:42 pm 

As I alluded to in my post about it, it doesn't fit neatly into either category. I'd say it's a pretty even mix of psychological and supernatural horror.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:06 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
The Exorcist III says hello. it's simply brilliant.

Yes, yes it is. It's probably the closest to a scary film I've seen since I was a kid, George C. Scott just sells it and Brad Dourif is uncomfortable as ever to watch, not to mention the murders throughout are really brutal and unsettling. Needless to say it's a shame William Peter Blatty only directed two films.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:31 pm 

I liked it pretty well, but it still didn't even come close to the first one for me, gotta say. May be overdue for a re-watch though.

Not tonight however - tonight I am doing my yearly Halloween Rosemary's Baby viewing.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:29 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I liked it pretty well, but it still didn't even come close to the first one for me, gotta say. May be overdue for a re-watch though.

I know it's sacrilege to say but I've never been a fan of the first. I like it enough but I see it as overrated, I also never found it to be the "scariest movie ever made" as the revised tagline commonly states, there are indeed some unsightly moments, but that's not enough to warrant the incessant 'truly scary' praise it receives. I'd rate The Omen above The Exorcist, not only in terms of horror but as a better overall movie with more on the table. I find the later scenes with Linda Blair tied to the bed to be unintentionally funny more than anything.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:15 pm 

I laughed many, many times during the Exorcist. I have never understood how it frightens people.

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:17 pm 

Expedience wrote:
I thought The Babadook looked interesting but screenings have ended in my area. I sure as hell hope it's not another "monster movie". Psychological horror works better and for me at least is much scarier. Probably a good thing I won't be able to see it then, as I don't know if I'd cope with this one.

It's been a rather shit year for movies, I'd have said. I'll probably go and see Pride but there's not much on the horizon I'm interested in.

I want it to be supernatural. I want this creature to exist based on the cool imagery in the trailer. However, I'm lead to believe that it won't be that based on the slow unraveling of the woman in the trailer. If the whole thing ends up in her head and the movie concludes with social services taking her child away, I'll be pissed. Fuck this psychological thriller crap. The psychology is that you're scared of an evil force that's REALLY there and REALLY fucking with you.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:20 pm 

Making it ambiguous would be even better, though. Uncertainty and horror are two great tastes that taste even better together.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:20 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
I laughed many, many times during the Exorcist. I have never understood how it frightens people.

Because it's a modern world family trying modern medicine, moving away from religion, then having to end up concluding the devil is involved anyway - all their science fails them. It's scary from a more subtle way. I find it scary on an intellectual level more than a "holy shit I can't turn out the lights" way, but the movie itself is just so good either way.

The Omen I don't really like so much. I did when I was younger, but these days despite being well made it doesn't do much for me. I reviewed all the sequels in previous years - been meaning to tackle the original for fun sometime.

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:20 pm 

I saw the Exorcist when I was like 13 based on all the hype. Didn't even care for it then. Though, I was 4 years old in 1990 with my mother taping Stephen King's IT as it premiered on TV. I grew up with Pennywise in my dreams. Linda Blair with a scary voice was never gonna bother me.

I do like some of the Omens though, they have a generally weird, creepy feeling to them.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:22 pm 

Exigence wrote:
I want it to be supernatural. I want this creature to exist based on the cool imagery in the trailer. However, I'm lead to believe that it won't be that based on the slow unraveling of the woman in the trailer. If the whole thing ends up in her head and the movie concludes with social services taking her child away, I'll be pissed. Fuck this psychological thriller crap. The psychology is that you're scared of an evil force that's REALLY there and REALLY fucking with you.

All horror is psychological though. Film makers always make it as scary as possible to the audience, so what does it matter if the something exists or not? People will always be scared of things that don't endanger them at all. It's the fear itself that counts.

I'd actually like someone to do a postmodern 'horror film' where everyone in the movie is shit scared but the monster is a harmless joke, not scary at all to us. Or a real monster that is actually harmful but no one is scared of for some reason. Sounds like a project for someone like Haneke. Would probably turn out to be pretentious crap, but could be interesting as an experiment.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:34 pm 

Expedience wrote:
I'd actually like someone to do a postmodern 'horror film' where everyone in the movie is shit scared but the monster is a harmless joke, not scary at all to us.

Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil almost qualifies, but it's basically a comedy.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:19 pm 

The Exorcist never did anything for me either. This ancient, malevolent spirit's plan is to sit around in a little girl swearing and blowing chunks at people? Shocking at the time, I'm sure, but it's been given WAY too much credit in retrospective analysis.
THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:14 pm 

Seven Psychopaths is funny as hell.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:19 pm 

^ Where's DD?

7P sucked. Try-hard film about 7 not-so-connected people replaying a script (literally) by killing each other. Don't worry, I'm not spoiling much to anyone who hasn't seen it.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:28 pm 

Pfffff that's a shallow read on a heavily layered piece of black comedy gold. It's about narcissistic behavior, the nature of masculinity and shit so I see how it could seem boring to people not neurotic enough to reflect on that kind of pucky.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:02 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
^ Where's DD?

Right here, Brosephus!

Pahaha, "heavily layered piece of black comedy gold." I'm definitely not a Martin McDonagh hater because I can't deny pretty much every single one of his plays is genius or at least very goddamn close, but starting with In Bruges, his writing suddenly turned from razor sharp satire to awful self-indulgent cynicism with serious contempt for his audience's intelligence. I blame Six Shooter, because even though it was a great short in and of itself, it blazed the trail his follow-ups would soon capitalize on. In Bruges was a dumb movie about a bunch of fast-talking nobodies with lots of words but absolutely nothing to say going through the ropes of a really boring, unoriginal (but ultimately serviceable) plot. And then Seven Psychopaths was the same bunch of nobodies talking about nothing etc etc, only this time the plot was one of those insanely pretentious student film shorts (you know, where they think "meta" is a synonym for "brilliant") arduously blown-up to feature fucking length with absolutely nothing to say and no points to make on its own yet again, but this time leaving everything open enough to let The Deep Readers who've read House of Leaves 800,000 times "finding something new every time!!!11" to pull it apart and write blazed-out forum posts about it until they reach Nirvana by ODing on a mixture of 2C-E, acid and Pink Floyd's The Wall played backwards.

But you don't have to take my word for it. Professor of film at Berkeley Eileen Jones explains in great detail why it's absolute horeshit: http://exiledonline.com/seven-psychopat ... -reviewer/

I'm not exactly a huge fan of Charlie Kaufman either (although it's clear McDonagh is), but not only did his films predate McDonagh's, they're very similar in style and tone AND most importantly they're way way way better in every way.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Last edited by darkeningday on Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:14 pm 

Phooey. I still laughed my ass off. "I don't want your fuckin' cravat man."

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:55 am 

Seven Psychopaths was terrible. Really didn't even make sense from the ground up. So they're writing a movie about seven psychopaths who are nonviolent? Never mind the deeper insanities of it all that I actually agree with darkeningday about, that main plot point in itself just doesn't make sense and is complete babble...terrible crap, really, and I remember liking In Bruges pretty well.

Neither one will ever be Pulp Fiction, hard as they might try.

For that matter nothing Tarantino does again will be, either.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:51 am 

60 years ago today, a film came out in Japan. A film that explored the horror and agony of nuclear weapons. A film that was very experimental with the practice of using a giant suit for the special effects. That film was Gojira. As the years rolled on and the decades grew, sequel after sequel after sequel came out and the legacy grew, at times for better or worse. Monsters from other films would join the fray while new monsters would be made just for this franchise. Now, 60 years later, it still thrives with 28 Japanese made films, 2 remakes, a number of TV shows, endless toys and what appears to be the continuation of the series with an eventual sequel to the newest remake.

In short, Happy Birthday Godzilla and everyone here, if they have time, should find a Godzilla film and watch to celebrate this milestone achievement.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:06 pm 

Thanks Aurone, I didn't know that! I own nearly every Godzilla movie, so I shouldn't have much trouble finding something to occupy myself with tonight. :) Might just go with the original; seems the most appropriate.

Last night I watched Repulsion and The Tenant; I've now seen all of the 'apartment' trilogy. Rosemary's Baby is probably my favorite. I'm not sure which one of the other two I liked better, but I'm leaning towards Repulsion. I'd rate Rosemary's Baby 5/5, Repulsion 4.5/5, and The Tenant 4/5 or maybe 4.25/5. Repulsion was a damn tense movie. I definitely wasn't always sure what what I was seeing was real or just her hallucinations, except for the murder scenes, which were obviously real. I do wish Carol had a bit more of a character arc, instead of seeming insane right from the first scene. I know that the main theme was her insanity because of her repulsion to sexuality and romance, but I thought it was also a great illustration of what loneliness can do to a person. I don't want to give anything else away for those who haven't seen it - just watch it. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

The Tenant was similar, and just as nebulous, but also pretty damn funny. Roman Polanski definitely hams it up in a lot of places, which adds to the movie's charm. If you agree with most of Ebert's opinions, you might not like it, as he hated this movie and thought it was an embarrassment coming from Polanski. Anyway, to give a brief plot synopsis, it's about this guy who moves into the apartment of a girl who committed suicide for mysterious reasons. He soon discovers why she did it, but from there it gets pretty uncertain if he's just out of his mind, or if the plot against him is real. Well recommended.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:58 pm 

The Zero Theorem was FUCKING GARBAGE. I haven't been pissed off that I wasted 2 hours of my life like this in a really long time. Probably one of the most annoying, frustrating movies I've ever seen. I'm usually alright with Terry Gilliam's visual aesthetic, but here it just gave me a headache immediately. Which didn't subside for the entire run time of that bullshit, trolling of a movie. Either he simply doesn't give a shit anymore, or he's going senile. There are nuggets of interesting ideas, but they are buried under HEAPS and PILES of god damn it will this fucking movie go anywhere. And it doesn't. Things are introduced and abandoned. Half of it is Christoph Waltz fucking around on a computer. Everything that happens is annoying in some fashion. Something is terribly, terribly wrong with your movie when Matt Damon's brief appearances make it 100% better.
But I actually encourage you all to watch it. Because a movie this bad can't possibly exist. I want you to tell me that I'm somehow missing the point. What a bunch of self-important, empty, self-fellation.
0/10

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:21 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
The Zero Theorem was FUCKING GARBAGE. I haven't been pissed off that I wasted 2 hours of my life like this in a really long time. Probably one of the most annoying, frustrating movies I've ever seen. I'm usually alright with Terry Gilliam's visual aesthetic, but here it just gave me a headache immediately. Which didn't subside for the entire run time of that bullshit, trolling of a movie. Either he simply doesn't give a shit anymore, or he's going senile. There are nuggets of interesting ideas, but they are buried under HEAPS and PILES of god damn it will this fucking movie go anywhere. And it doesn't. Things are introduced and abandoned. Half of it is Christoph Waltz fucking around on a computer. Everything that happens is annoying in some fashion. Something is terribly, terribly wrong with your movie when Matt Damon's brief appearances make it 100% better.
But I actually encourage you all to watch it. Because a movie this bad can't possibly exist. I want you to tell me that I'm somehow missing the point. What a bunch of self-important, empty, self-fellation.
0/10
This review has a spitting similarity to my internalized review of Magic Magic starring Michael Cera.

It's hard to pick a worse film between Now You See Me and Magic Magic, on one hand Magic Magic mostly pissed me off while Now You See Me insulted my intelligence with a smug smirk, and half of the cast should feel ashamed they promoted it.

DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:07 pm 

The Zero Theorem was excellent. Exactly what is opposite of a summer Hollywood blockbuster visual explosion... with zero story.

The story is of the plight in to dementia, submerged in the dredge of a pointless existence until the very end and the escape, the release. The movie reflects our lives and the point, the point of why we are here... he was waiting for his call, waiting for the point... well, there was no call, there is no point... it was the mundane banality of life until his end, which was an interesting realistic futuristic interpretation of reality by my judgement of the film to how many of us live today.

Job/eat/sleep ...what else?

I could see how this film would be despised by people, the same way I literally almost despise everything that screens in the theater's chalk full of fancy graphics and absolutely zero intellectual capacity within the scripts. The Zero Theorem doesn't have explosions or monsters, it has a idea to think about.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:22 pm 

I hate you.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

PrinceRhaegar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:05 am 

I know everyone here's probably sick and tired of hearing about The Conjuring, but I just finished it and I just need to vent. I mean I didn't absolutely hate it like some people here did; most of the acting, especially from the kids, was actually pretty damn good, and I guess it had some neat looking shots, but other than that the movie was just sort of there. The dialogue for the most part was particularly shit.

It almost felt like it was playing horror movie bingo: Haunted Doll, check. Haunted house, check. Creepy kid, check. Doors opening and closing on their own, check. Vengeful spirit, check. Exorcisim out of nowhere scene, check. The only part that really had me creeped out was when the kid gets moved in her bed again and is paralyzed with fear because she sees "it" behind the door, but our view to it is obscured by the darkness. I thought that was actually a really well done, tense scene, but they basically ruined it all by throwing every horror trope at the wall and hoping something would stick for the rest of the movie. Seriously, what scenes in particular were people referring to when they said this was one of the scariest horror movies they've seen in years?
Does anyone know if PetWussy sports a mullet? I just saw a Pakistanni-looking guy with a ... Heavy Metal Parking Lot mullet. I was tempted to kick him to the ground whilst shouting: "THE YEARS OF DECAY RULES, DICKHEAD!"

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:17 am 

DennisDemoniarch wrote:
The Zero Theorem doesn't have explosions or monsters, it has a idea to think about.

Curiously enough, this statement makes me far more repulsed by the thought of watching The Zero Theorem than Necro's exhaustive and vitriolic warning buoy.

Given that I tend to agree with Necro, at least on the stuff he feels really passionate about (whether positively or negatively), that's not saying nothing.

I now assume Dennis will accuse me of jacking it Michael Bay and Brett Ratner and if I didn't like Black Swan it's only because I just didn't understand it.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:29 am 

I haven't seen the movie but it's a fair point. Are there any big action-y blockbusters with ideas that aren't contrivances anymore? There used to be.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 490, 491, 492, 493, 494, 495, 496 ... 818  Next