* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:52 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3481250841/
This looks fucking badass. Jake Gyllenhaal, like Matthew McConaghuey, is a real rising star - he's becoming the go-to guy for great crime movies lately.

Could be good. Dan Gilroy hasn't done anything I'm particularly found of except for The Fall, but that was in truth mostly visuals, if it's more of a psychological thriller than straight thriller it could a landmark of film. Jack Gyllenhaal can easily sell it as his work in Zodiac and Prisoners can attest to that. I wasn't the biggest fan of End of Watch though.
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
I dunno, the trailer looks claustrophobic and cool, I love that sort of horror....a lot of films don't do it right, but this looks pretty neat. I love the occult and all things historical, so I'm willing to give it a shot.

There's also a found footage movie called The Pyramid on the way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn9F9NXs3Zs

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:14 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3481250841/

This looks fucking badass. Jake Gyllenhaal, like Matthew McConaghuey, is a real rising star - he's becoming the go-to guy for great crime movies lately.

To that end, Prisoners was really fucking good.

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:15 pm 

"As Above, So Below" wasn't as bad as I thought. It's essentially found footage juxtaposed with being trapped in underground caves. This means a lot of walking towards complete darkness, blowing open the window for multiple jump scares. There was a lot of forced character development and a complete absence of logic but it was still creepy. There's certainly a lot of wasted opportunities throughout the movie, especially the ending. Which kinda just happens out of nowhere since it's got a lean 90 minute runtime.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:36 pm 

I feel like modern horror ALWAYS fucks up the endings...

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

RepulsiveVenom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:01 pm 

Modern Horror is too full of CGI. I hate computer graphics in horror..

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:46 am 

Modern movies are too much drenched in CGI period.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:33 am 

How about a discussion instead of one upping with a sentence. For example what modern movies with high budgets feature laughably bad CGI, and what scene in particular?
The Expendables 3 - Totally badical rock climber's parachute opening like a Hanna-Barbera cartoon.
Blade 2 - Ninja assassins break into Blade's headquarters and you spend the remainder of the film believing 'going to a store' flailing techniques will be integrated into a Mission Impossible-esque side story.
Eraser - Alligator bursts out of Turok and into a forgettable 1996 Arnold film starring guy violently blowing his head off and laser guns.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:34 am 

Pacific Rim and Guardians of the Galaxy have fucking awesome CGI. Just depends on how you use it.

The Fisher King - 4.5/5

I debated how to rate this, as while I liked it, there were a few problems I had - namely that, while Gilliam's fantastical direction and metaphorical imagery is interesting, I felt it could have been better fitted by not using that imagery and going for a more subtle take. Some of the wacky stuff in the first act of this film just turned me off, as it was just way too over the top in everything it was doing, from Williams's comedic acting to Bridges's sorrow and despondency. But the next two acts really shaped up and delivered one hell of a film, tying things together rather brilliantly as the story of two men working through grief. I have to say the romance in the film is incredibly done, and two of the best performances come from the side actresses Mercedes Ruehl and Amanda Plummer, who round out the film brilliantly. Before they're spotlighted so much, the film seems like it's coming off its hinges, but as you begin to see them more things fall into place and become easier to sort out - like a relationship in real life would be. A raw, beautiful and passionate film unlike anything I've ever seen.

Species - 1/5

Complete dog shit. A waste of time as big as any I've seen. Bad story catering to 13-year-old perverts, awful CGI, shitty acting and writing about as convincing as a fake toupee. This is just a cauldron of awfulness.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:38 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
How about a discussion instead of one upping with a sentence. For example what modern movies with high budgets feature laughably bad CGI, and what scene in particular?

The 'ant scene' in Indy 4. Holy christ was that bad. I'm also one of those who thinks excessive CGI kills a film no matter how well it's done. Examples are Star Trek XII, and much of The Hobbit movies. You might as well go and make the whole damn thing CGI.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:45 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:

I immediately thought The Mummy Returns but that's 13 years old at this point. The finale with The Rock as a scorpion is pretty damn bad.

Another that was ripe with crap CGI throughout was Die Another Day. Whoooooaaaaa was that a terrible movie with terrible CGI. The tsunami parachute surfing scene is infamous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w6FV8P7HXg

:lol: wow, that's worse than I remembered!
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:39 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Species - 1/5

Complete dog shit. A waste of time as big as any I've seen. Bad story catering to 13-year-old perverts, awful CGI, shitty acting and writing about as convincing as a fake toupee. This is just a cauldron of awfulness.

Species 1 is a guilty pleasure of mine, but if you think the first movie is that bad, you would be absolutely shocked by the sequel.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:56 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
I immediately thought The Mummy Returns but that's 13 years old at this point. The finale with The Rock as a scorpion is pretty damn bad. Another that was ripe with crap CGI throughout was Die Another Day. Whoooooaaaaa was that a terrible movie with terrible CGI. The tsunami parachute surfing scene is infamous. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w6FV8P7HXg
:lol: wow, that's worse than I remembered!

I like how Pierce Brosnan is really trying to sell that he's actually windsurfing a tsunami.

Spectacular visuals. Really makes you feel like you're there and it's totally believable too because I have a friend who did the exact same thing last year, only his landing was a little smoother and he took a photo while busting out a sick tail-grab.

I think 1994 and on wards in terms of films to call out, because Jurassic Park was out and that was the gold standard.

Exigence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:19 pm 

The hallmark of bag CGI in 90s movies is the plane crash at the end of Air Force 1. It looks like a bad N64 game.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:22 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
I think 1994 and on wards in terms of films to call out, because Jurassic Park was out and that was the gold standard.

Whaddaya mean "was"? Jurassic Park still looks goddamn fantastic.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:08 pm 

The N64 game comparison just reminded me...

Spawn came out 4 years after Jurassic Park, had a $40 million budget according to IMDB, and the scenes where he goes to hell look ridiculous.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:46 pm 

-some spoilers-

I think the only thing I hate more than CGI blood is CGI fire. The fakeness is horrendously obvious, unlike CG blood where if you film it right it can look passable. The car blowing up in Kill The Irishman, the chariot fires in The Hunger Games, Steve Austin getting set on fire in the first Expendables...all piss poor, all cartoony. Is it really so hard to blow up an actual car or a minature or set a willing stuntman on fire anymore? Oh yeah, and the burning werewolf/decapatation at the end of the remake of The Wolf Man.

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:42 pm 

You want to see some crappy fire watch the end of Under Siege 2. I just couldn't imagine anyone working on that movie giving that the ok.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:39 pm 

The entire last few minutes of that movie had some really embarassing FX on the whole. Mix it with some equally shoddy editing and it makes me cringe every time.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:45 pm 

No, I think this has to count as some of the best bad CGI ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZkblH8Q22I

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:47 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
volutetheswarth wrote:

Whaddaya mean "was"? Jurassic Park still looks goddamn fantastic.

It does, but then came Titanic, Minority Report, and stuff like Cloverfield, District 9 among others. It still holds up but upon scrutiny it's noticeable when it's cgi and when it's not, it's not so much the benchmark it was.

Same can be said about those movie choices too I suppose, I've found nothing to this day to be 100% realistic. JP was fortunate that the photographic and video representation was quite poor before them.

Last edited by volutetheswarth on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:56 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:

Ahem...a certain CGI dragon would like a word with you.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:36 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:

Ahem...a certain CGI dragon would like a word with you.

Uuuuugggggh I gotta quote him.
me from march of last year wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:
And now, my review of Fate/Stay Night. Yes, it did, in fact, suck that much.

This was amazingly convincing for two reasons:

1. the depth of the characters not being as up to par as I thought they'd be. Fanservice also can get very annoying and unnecessary.

2. the CGI dragon. I clicked your link and :lol:

I kept the time in just so people knew I wasn't pulling it out of my ass.
Holy shit :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:09 pm 

The Funhouse - One of the lesser known Tobe Hooper movies, I guess. This should have been at least decent. I think clowns are kind of creepy, and a horror flick about a killer at a carnival had potential. But they managed to screw it up.

Biggest problem is that the main characters (2 young couples on a double date) have no idea there's any danger until past the halfway point of the movie. That might have been OK, if the first half did a good job setting things up and the second half really delivered. But many of the weird attractions they visited at the beginning had nothing to do with the rest of the movie, once the killer was on the loose. There's also a subplot with the main girl's younger brother that goes absolutely nowhere. No memorable death scenes, lame final showdown, a boxcover that's scarier than the actual movie (and misrepresents the killer) - damn, Hooper's lucky Spielberg let him direct Poltergeist after this mess.

Also, as usual I'm months behind you guys who see movies in theaters, but I saw Oculus on DVD. I'm still not sure if the ending was really satisfying, but the movie held my interest, and was a masterpiece compared to The Funhouse.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:18 pm 

I remember next to nothing about The Funhouse except for it having a cool setup but majorly sucking in the end. Not bad enough to be funny and not good enough to recommend, it just exists.

Edit: looking at the trailer now I'm reminded how much the whole movie is like a 70's camera test with a bunch of still shots with nothing notable occurring. 'Life in downtown Brooklyn' with a cool funky disco theme song and random shots of people walking the streets because it's deep brotha.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:59 pm 

Just watched the trailer, and not only is the boxcover scarier than the movie, the trailer is better than the movie as well.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:05 pm 

Never seen the movie, but it's a shame they can't make a good 'scary clown' movie ever. I really like the idea but I've never seen a good one.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:30 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Never seen the movie, but it's a shame they can't make a good 'scary clown' movie ever. I really like the idea but I've never seen a good one.

I think Poltergeist is gonna be the closest we ever get. And it's not even a real clown. :'(

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:43 pm 

I've mentioned my appreciation for Killer Klowns from Outer Space, but that one is intentionally campy, probably not what you're looking for.

There's also Drive Thru, whose villain is a burger joint mascot named Horny the Clown, and - wait, did we discuss this already? Did you review it on your blog? Anyway, it's not as wacky as Killer Klowns but it's not 100% serious either.

The clown from Stephen King's "It" is pretty scary, but I've never watched the whole miniseries (or read the novel).

Can't think of much else. Sid Haig had clown paint in those early Rob Zombie movies, but now I'm just reaching.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:48 pm 

Killer Klowns and Sid Haig in those Rob Zombie movies is about as close as we'll get I think.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:27 am 

Well there's the 'It' remake, which could be alright and better than the mini-series?

Controversy about the director aside, Clown House wasn't a bad 'scary-clown' movie and certainly better than The Funhouse.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:34 am 

Tim Curry is great as Pennywise the Clown in the It miniseries; all of his scenes are awesome.

I mean c'mon. That's just awesome.

The problem is, everything else about the miniseries blows.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:17 am 

A terrible Stephen King miniseries? You don't say!

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:45 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
A terrible Stephen King miniseries? You don't say!

They are terrible, yeah, but they also usually have one aspect that keeps them afloat.

Oh yes. They all float.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:47 am 

Yes indeed. Actually, I can't even think of a single redeeming factor in the Desperation series, which is a shame as that's an underrated and oft-forgotten book in his catalog.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:16 am 

IT and The Stand have to be the worst. Not a miniseries, but Pet Sematary was pretty awful too.

The Shining is the best movie based on his stuff (well, Shawshank Redemption is probably just as good or better, but I never read that book, so I dunno how it stacks up). Children of the Corn is also awesome. Just cheesy old school horror fun.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:52 am 

Tommyknockers is pretty laughably bad too. Also the Langoliers! So many bad miniseries. One good movie based off of his material though is Maximum Overdrive. Just a complete ridiculous cheesefest, but very entertaining too. Cool score by AC/DC as well.

As for Shawshank Redemption...I definitely don't think it's a bad movie, but I do think it's tremendously overrated. Wasn't it the #1 rated movie on IMDB for a really long time? It's just dripping with that Stephen King brand smarmy feel-good treacle you also get in The Green Mile and Stand By Me. Only King could take a story involving buttrape and murder and make it feel nostalgic.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:02 pm 

Oh yeah I mean Shawshank's definitely overrated...I think any movie that gets that #1 spot on IMDb, including The Dark Knight which I also love, is. But Freeman's and Tim Robbins' performances are just so good, and despite the schmaltz I think it's well done.

Maximum Overdrive was hilarious. A buddy and I watched it this summer and we were laughing the whole time...just a riot of a movie.

Exigence

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:54 pm 

I've watched "IT" since it premiered in 1990 and my mother actually recorded it onto VHS from the original broadcast. I was like 4 years old watching Pennywise. I fucking grew up with Pennywise. I know that whole movie by heart. Say what you will about the shitty ending and how it deviates from the book - it's a fucking scary. God damn I love Tim Curry in that role.

But if you want to talk garbage Stephen King adaptations - Rose Red.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:58 pm 

Exigence wrote:
Say what you will about the shitty ending and how it deviates from the book - it's fucking scary.

I'm guessing you must be balloon-o-phobic, because that's the only way IT could ever be perceived as scary.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:59 pm 

I saw it when I was about 15 and after I'd read the book for the first time. I still consider it one of the biggest disappointments I've ever had with a film.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 479, 480, 481, 482, 483, 484, 485 ... 818  Next