Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:55 pm 

The movie was weird but pretty cool. Never got around to reading the book so I can't compare the two.

alexanderthegreat
Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:25 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
DanFuckingLucas wrote:
I'm going to check THAT out.

That does sound awesome. I'ma put it on my list.

:lol: Alright then. Herbert is basically John Wyndham with a thick drenching of psycho-sexual nastiness. :P Not really High Literature, but when he's good, he's better than most pulp horrors. If you like Stephen King (which I don't, though I recognise he's done some good stuff) you'll probably like Herbert - I'd say of the novels I've read, The Fog and the "Rats" trilogy (The Rats, Lair and Domain are probably the best, that last one being a particular favourite as it has a lot of cool moments of life in post atomic-blast London mixed in with the evil rat menace.

Back to films: The Rats was made into a film called Deadly Eyes, though predictably they took out all the cools stuff.

Also, Lady in White was on. I think I can trace my fear of girl ghosts in white dresses directly to this film. Freaking horrifying, though thankfully it's been exorcised a little now that I can appreciate how poor some of the special effects were. Still a good film though, not a true horror, more a children's adventure mixed in with supernatural horror and crime mystery.

ScaryMonsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:29 pm 

Lady in White was indeed a very good movie, hasn't aged that well, but still a very good mixture of curiosity and shocks.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:15 am 

Chocolate (2008)

Muay thai action movie from Thailand (surprise!) featuring a young female protagonist (who happens to be autistic). I wasn't expecting much, but the choreography was great, and I personally liked the plot/dramatic elements more than Tony Jaa's movies (Ong-Bak, The Protector). It had soul! It was also the first Japanese/Thai collaboration I've seen, and it worked out well.

definitely for fans of Tony Jaa, but anyone looking for a professionally done action film with an above average story that was actually sort of believable should check it out.

4/5
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:30 am 

I've not seen The Protector, but Warrior King is basically Ong Bak but he has to go to Australia to get his elephants back instead of the head of the statue. In one scene I lost count at about 30 broken arms. It was fun. And very very silly.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:41 am 

The Protector = Warrior King

same movie! and yeah, very silly. Chocolate is a bit more serious, although a couple spots did make me laugh (Jackie Chan-esque slapstick and even a joke or two that survived translation).
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:15 am 

Nahsil wrote:
hey wrote:
I finally managed to see Escape from New York not too long ago, and I thought it was pretty good. Although I thought it seemed a bit short. Also has anyone seen the movie for A Scanner Darkly? I really liked the book and I was wondering how the movie was.

I enjoyed A Scanner Darkly. The cell-shaded presentation was cool and unique, and it had a good plot/good voice acting.

It looked very cool, but I thought the actual film was a little bit on the meh sizde

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:04 am 

Nahsil wrote:
The Protector = Warrior King

same movie! and yeah, very silly. Chocolate is a bit more serious, although a couple spots did make me laugh (Jackie Chan-esque slapstick and even a joke or two that survived translation).

Haha nice. But let's face it, we don't watch Tony Jaa movies for plot or substance - we watch it for Muay Thai badassery.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:32 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Nahsil wrote:
hey wrote:
I finally managed to see Escape from New York not too long ago, and I thought it was pretty good. Although I thought it seemed a bit short. Also has anyone seen the movie for A Scanner Darkly? I really liked the book and I was wondering how the movie was.

I enjoyed A Scanner Darkly. The cell-shaded presentation was cool and unique, and it had a good plot/good voice acting.

It looked very cool, but I thought the actual film was a little bit on the meh sizde

I thought it was great, very amusing yet it also had a sort of "what if?" view of society which was nice to watch. Sort of a black comedy.

idioteque04
Doesn't know how right he is. ^

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:26 am 

Has anyone seen mongol yet?? it look freeekin epic. it hasnt come out where i live yet.

also what are the two new marvel movies like hulk and iron man?? somone mentioned to me that they link up in some way.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:15 pm 

All new films being made directly under the newly formed film production studio "Marvel Studios" will be within continuity of one another, much like their comics are.

They are also setting up for at least two planned Avengers films, so look out for those in 2011.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:33 pm 

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

I wanna see a good Thor movie!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:45 pm 

Already planned for release!

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:43 pm 

TARAN TARARAN TAN TAN TAN... My mamma talk'in to me, try'in to tell me how to live... TARAN TARARAN TAN TAN TAN

:lol: Cheech and Chong RULS :bow: Up In Smoke

Last edited by gomorro on Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:44 pm 

Just saw Willow again, and that chick is tight.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:20 am 

Red Room 2

Just plain awesome.

alexanderthegreat
Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:10 pm 

rexxz wrote:
All new films being made directly under the newly formed film production studio "Marvel Studios" will be within continuity of one another, much like their comics are.

It would be awesome if DC would do something like this, though their track history of successful adaptations was a bit better than Marvel's until Spiderman came along. I'd really enjoy a dueling Justice League/Avengers summer.

I'm waiting for the Thor movie, though I have to wonder how he'll fit in to the Movie universe: would the Asgardians be the race of superhumans like in the comics, aliens, what? Will they go the Ultimates route where his nature is more ambiguous? Will they go all the way back to Norse Myth to make them more "Viking-like"? I hope he has a beard. Thor should have a beard. (He should also technically have red hair, but that's probably too much to ask.)

The other question is who the villain should be? Loki would be an obvious choice, but I think a henchman or two would be needed for big action scenes. Perhaps Destroyer or Absorbing Man. I'm gunning for Fafnir: it would be pretty unique in the superhero genre for the duelers to be a thunder-god with a warhammer and a big feck-off dragon fighting in a city. Ares would also be brilliant, having Greek and Norse myth battling it out.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:40 pm 

I think they're gonna be going on the Ultimates route for all the upcoming Marvel movies, so Thor should have a beard and be considered a crazy hippy-terrorist.

As for a Justice League movie this is up on imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0974015/

I'm not too familiar with DC so I can't say much about this, but I guess it could be cool.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:16 am 

This Is Spinal Tap - 4/5

Yeah, you woulda thought I had seen this one already. Anyway, it is definitely very entertaining, providing a lot of lighthearted chuckles and even some pretty cool songs here and there. Never a dull moment. Get it if you haven't seen it already.

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:26 am 

Being John Malkovich - 4/5

I really enjoyed this movie when I first watched it about 8 months ago, and I just watched it again. It's still bloody weird, but also really good providing humour every now and again - especially Charlie Sheen: Maybe she's using you to channel the soul of her dead lesbian lover? :lol:

But yeah, John Cusack find a portal in his office to inside John Malkovich's head, Catherine Keener looks hot, and an old guy and his friends find away to become immortal. It also features a scene which I don't know if it's lesbian sex or straight sex, and so on. Check it out.

noobsofsocialreality
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:28 am 

Black Snake Moan- 3.5/5

Pretty good and original movie about some whore being bounded by chains by Samuel Jackson. Blues music played a lot of part in the movie, which was really nice. Seeing Samuel Jackson plays blues is very refreshing. Especially since hes not a pissed off gang banger in the movie. I think the actors could have been thought off better, like Justin Timberlake, but Ricci was pretty hot though. So yea, good movie, pretty original, but the characters tend to "over-act" a little. The story was also good, but I really just watch this movie for Sam Jackson and his guitar skills.

http://www.last.fm/user/AmberBazaar

noobsofsocialreality
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:29 am 

Empyreal wrote:
This Is Spinal Tap - 4/5

Yeah, you woulda thought I had seen this one already. Anyway, it is definitely very entertaining, providing a lot of lighthearted chuckles and even some pretty cool songs here and there. Never a dull moment. Get it if you haven't seen it already.

I saw it once and never plan on seeing it again. Am I the only one who didn't like this movie?

http://www.last.fm/user/AmberBazaar

HighPlainsDrifter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:31 am 

Teaser trailer for Punisher: War Zone. Any thoughts?

It looks promising, though it sucks that Thomas Jane isn't reprising the role.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:35 am 

That trailer looks terrible.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:45 am 

rexxz wrote:

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. The way the stage is set up, just the overall look and feel of it makes it look like some cheap Sci-Fi Channel movie.
Death metal is eternal.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:47 am 

noobsofsocialreality wrote:
Black Snake Moan- 3.5/5

Pretty good and original movie about some whore being bounded by chains by Samuel Jackson. Blues music played a lot of part in the movie, which was really nice. Seeing Samuel Jackson plays blues is very refreshing. Especially since hes not a pissed off gang banger in the movie. I think the actors could have been thought off better, like Justin Timberlake, but Ricci was pretty hot though. So yea, good movie, pretty original, but the characters tend to "over-act" a little. The story was also good, but I really just watch this movie for Sam Jackson and his guitar skills.
I liked that movie a lot, but I guess it's just that I'm a fan of both Jackson and Ricci. I got a bit of respect for Justin Timberlake as an actor after I saw it, too. Pretty surprised.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:47 am 

Black Snake Moan looked pretty good, although I forgot about it until now.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:53 am 

It's pretty entertaining throughout and doesn't get overly cheesy or anything. It's got a few Samuel L. Jackson-pissed-off scenes plus blues guitaring.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:27 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
This Is Spinal Tap - 4/5

I got it and it's great yeah, but imo the movie really goes downhill after the Stonehenge scene. with David's girlfriend and all that crap.
one of my favorite scenes is Nigel with his guitars hehe, love it

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:38 pm 

Ravenlord266 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
This Is Spinal Tap - 4/5

I got it and it's great yeah, but imo the movie really goes downhill after the Stonehenge scene. with David's girlfriend and all that crap.
one of my favorite scenes is Nigel with his guitars hehe, love it

Stonehenge and Rock and Roll Creation sounded good actually. :lol: I think I'll track down that album.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:21 pm 

their whole album is cheesy as hell, but great nonetheless hehe

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

josephus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:41 pm 

rexxz wrote:
"Sometimes I'd like to get my hands on God..." :lol:
BUT it does have Ray Stevenson in it, so I am going to watch it.

alexanderthegreat
Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:26 pm 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
rexxz wrote:

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. The way the stage is set up, just the overall look and feel of it makes it look like some cheap Sci-Fi Channel movie.

[url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NeverTrustATrailer]DOOOOON'T EVER TRUUUST
DON'T EVER TRUST THE TRAILERRRRR... IT LIES![/url]

It is a terrible trailer, but I try never to judge a film by them, since trailers can completely change the tone of a movie with editing & music choice. I remember a really dire one for Batman Begins that made it look like Batman & Robin 2. Complete with horrible grungy rock and stupid catchphrases.

Hopefully this is just a terrible teaser to a good film, instead of a... terrible teaser for a terrible film.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:36 pm 

Crazy as Hell - 3.75/5

This is really a one of a kind movie, because while it bears stylistic resemblances to movies like Angel Heart or Session 9, it is a new beast entirely. Not as polished and cohesive as the aforementioned films, it does lack a bit of focus, so it doesn't get a higher score, but don't take the rating as a detractor of quality. For despite its minor inconsistencies, Crazy as Hell offers a deeply disturbing and devilishly dark little horror/thriller flick for those who can't quite pull themselves away from the dark lord. But beware, you might end up afraid of the dark.

WilliamAcerfeltd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:25 am 

Just wondering, do you guys think Ghost Ship is good or shit? Evoken made me want to see it.

HighPlainsDrifter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:20 pm 

I remember it being pure shit, I haven't seen it in a long time though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:10 pm 

The Orphanage - 4.75/5

Such sophistication in ghost stories is rarely heard of, but Guillermo Del Toro manages to pull it off time and time again, and somehow he even managed to inject his magic into this one, which he only produced. This is no exception, a dark, powerful, and moving masterpiece that both adheres to convention and brings some new, more artistic elements to the table in the direction and storytelling.

One thing I like about this one and Del Toro's previous masterpiece The Devil's Backbone is that they take horror-esquire plot lines and twist them into something much, much greater than a simple ghost/horror story. This has style and class all the way through, and every bit of it is tailored to a polished sheen. His stories always have this emotional impact to them that you wouldn't expect in movies like this - usually in a ghost story, the emotional layer is pretty thin, but here it runs as deep as blood. Well written character dialogue only adds to the reasons why this is so good.

People will call this a generic ghost story, but those people aren't watching hard enough. The Orphanage may not pack as many jumpy, jittery moments as movies like The Ring, but it's not supposed to - this is a ghost story for the mature.

Last edited by Empyreal on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josephus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:26 pm 

That's El Orfanato, right? I thought it was great, and very sad. :(

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:28 pm 

Yeah, that's the one. I don't like it quite as much as The Devil's Backbone, but they're all around that same score. I think Del Toro still has a masterpiece to do...

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:13 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
This Is Spinal Tap - 4/5

C'mon! It's an instant 11! It's one of my favourites therefore I refuse to believe how it could be deemed less than perfect.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 818  Next