* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:11 am 

Saw Audrey Rose today.

Spoiler: show
Film is about a man who finds a couple and is convinced their daughter is his daughter reincarnated, who died by fire at the age of 5. Ofcourse the couple seems to be skeptical at first and eventually the mum gains his trust and becomes more open minded to the story. The idea of this film is rather cool and for 1976 seems to be quite something, I guess, but for me it just doesn't quite do it: once the man makes contact with the family I expected actual things to happen but it feels like the film never becomes as gripping as it could be. Ending is suppose to be sad where the child is put under hypnoses, goes back to the time where she was Audrey Rose and then dies again to finally be in peace, but ehh, what happens in between rather drags. The roles were all well put out: you've got the creepy man who looks for his lost daughter, the skeptical father who finds the story to be all nuts and the mother who's slowly starting to believe things, but in the end the story itself doesn't quite reach me. The child has plenty of freak out moments but I wish they had done more with those. A 5/10 for me.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:19 am 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
A Serbian Film jumps out to me as the "shocking" torture film that my friends have issues with. It honestly wasn't that gory or violent when compared to some other options out there, but the sexual sadism aspect really seems to irk people.

That's one of the few movies that the true hardcore horror fans I know just will not watch again.
Baby rape
can often do that to someone.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:35 am 

Subrick wrote:
MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
A Serbian Film jumps out to me as the "shocking" torture film that my friends have issues with. It honestly wasn't that gory or violent when compared to some other options out there, but the sexual sadism aspect really seems to irk people.

That's one of the few movies that the true hardcore horror fans I know just will not watch again.
Baby rape
can often do that to someone.

But is it awwwright?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:45 am 

I don't know how anyone could think the Smaug scenes were too long. My god, that was some of the best cinema in the five Jackson films so far. They could have added another hour of Smaug and Bilbo talking and I would have been happy.

I don't mind some of the stuff they added to the second film. Legolas was alive and well during that time, so his presence doesn't bother me. The existence of a totally fictional Elven lady warrior I was also fine with, as she was very convincing and well-done (eg, not stupidly sexualized). I was not okay with the nonsensical romance, and I thought the parts with Legolas and Tauriel fighting in Lake-town were too damn long; but their mere existence I was okay with---they need some reasonable way of getting Thranduil and the Elven army there besides "they show up because I need a 5th army in this story," which is basically what happens in the book.

I'm going to guess that Smaug dies about 45 minutes into the 3rd film. Every Jackson film so far has had some sort of 3-10 minute intro before diving into the present story. So yeah, maybe a half-hour of Smaug. I would like there to be more but realistically Jackson just has too much that needs to happen within the first 60-90 minutes for Smaug to last any longer. He has to get the White Council to attack Dol Guldur, get Gandalf out of Dol Guldur, get a new staff for Gandalf, get Gandalf to Lake-town, and someone get the Iron Hills dwarves to Lake-town all before the battle even starts. I would expect the actual battle to be somewhere in the realm of 30-40 minutes. So yeah, not much room for poor Smaug :(

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:54 pm 

Huh? Yeah I definitely liked the second one much better than the first, and Smaug was done quite well. The only thing that sort of bothers me in the Hobbit films up to this point is the combat. There just never seems to be a sense of danger or hazard at any point. The supposedly unhurried and less acrobatic dwarves suddenly bounce and fly around the screen during the fight scenes, throwing weapons at a distance, never missing, scoring no-look kills and just overall making a joke of their opposition. I get that the films are supposed to be more lighthearted as per the source material, but the tone is as serious as ever at times, so it really fails to strike an overall balance for me. I understand that the earlier trilogy had this too, but it even had the wherewithal to poke fun at the insanity of the whole thing (the killcount during Helms Deep, for instance). How, exactly, are these random dwarves outgunning Legolas and Aragorn?
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:32 pm 

I watched a bunch of movies over the weekend like Bad Neighbours, Kings of Summer, Sabotage but the only one worth talking about is Snowpiercer.

The movie's got a post-apocalyptic setting on a moving train as the rest of the world is frozen beyond recognition. There are two factions in that society - the privileged upper class who control all the resources and well, there's the slave-class. It seems like a big budget movie but I hardly heard much about it in the box office. If you haven't heard about it, let that not be an indicator of how poorly received it is because it's definitely worth watching. Chris Evans, Tilda Swinton and Ed Harris are the big names that I could instantly recognize. I'd easily give it a rating of 8/10.

I'll also probably mention the Kings of Summer since I did favour it mildly and it reminded me a bit about my teen years. It's a coming of age film about three teenagers who run away from home and live in the woods (in their own constructed wooden house). It's watchable if you don't mind such kind of drama/comedy movies.

Occultcannibal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:33 pm 

Just picked up a bunch of awesome horror movies!
Suicide Club, We're Going To Eat You, Evil Dead Trap, Time To Kill (signed), Naked Blood and one other one I cant remember off the top of my head, you guys seen any of these? Only one i've watched before is Evil Dead Trap, the eyeball slitting scene has stuck with me for years.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:49 pm 

Horror seems to have a good presence here, but does anyone watch Kung Fu films?

Zelkiiro wrote:
But is it awwwright?

Fuckin' 4chan...

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:31 am 

How much longer before Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny is cemented into the halls of cult classic fandom? Re-watched that movie tonight, god I love that film. There's such a subtle genius to being both a pizza delivery guy and a part-time student-driving instructor.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:51 am 

I think it already is to a degree. Give it another five or ten years and I think it'll be at the level you want it to be at.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:12 pm 

300: Rise of an Empire - Did the first one have so much over the top blood spray? Been a while since I saw it. Anyway, on the sequel scale ranging from Human Centipede 2 (terrible) to Empire Strikes Back (awesome), RoaE is right in the middle. Didn't need to be made, not as good as the original, but acceptable.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:14 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
300: Rise of an Empire - Did the first one have so much over the top blood spray? Been a while since I saw it. Anyway, on the sequel scale ranging from Human Centipede 2 (terrible) to Empire Strikes Back (awesome), RoaE is right in the middle. Didn't need to be made, not as good as the original, but acceptable.

The first one's blood looked more like ink that slowly disappeared. Sucks that this, Raid 2, and Sabotage, are the only hard R movies out this year(maybe Sin City 2), at least, that I know of. The one movie that I was almost completely hyped over, Expendables 3, is now something that I couldnt almost completely care less about.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:30 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:

The one movie that I was almost completely hyped over, Expendables 3, is now something that I couldnt almost completely care less about.
[/quote]

Agreed. My own hype for it died and and died to the point of me just not giving a fuck. Chalk a good portion of that up to Sly's utter dipshittery and decisions on marketing/making the movie; I've even decided to sell off my copy of "Expendables 2" and get rid of the poster of Old Man Sly posing for Expendables 2 off my wall.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:36 am 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
aaronmb666 wrote:

The one movie that I was almost completely hyped over, Expendables 3, is now something that I couldnt almost completely care less about.

Agreed. My own hype for it died and and died to the point of me just not giving a fuck. Chalk a good portion of that up to Sly's utter dipshittery and decisions on marketing/making the movie; I've even decided to sell off my copy of "Expendables 2" and get rid of the poster of Old Man Sly posing for Expendables 2 off my wall.[/quote]

http://youtu.be/KHpPVYJkaMs

His explanation for the rating is so retarded. The first two Expendables were BARELY R's, with the second still being PG-13. He could he know if kids snuck into the movies? When I saw them, there wasnt anyone younger than probably 25. Those comic con posters look like a 10 year old did some photoshopping.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:24 pm 

A screener leaked for Expendables 3 and I just watched it....
Being a big Sly and Arnold fan, I HATED it.
spoilers
It's practically a remake of the second, with Crews the reason Sly goes after Gibson(he snipes him twice, BUT he doesnt actually die). They get all depressed, with Sly thinking theyre too old, so he more or less abandons them, which is where the younger people come in. Sly takes them to capture Gibson, where he has a GPS on his watch, which the helicopter shoots the truck and escapes(sly flies down to the river). Gibson takes the kids hostage and as Sly's about to leave, the other expendables join him. They arrive in small village, where they fight an army, with the sly/vs gibson fight being maybe 3 minutes

Everything Sly said about this is bullshit. It doesnt remotely compare to The Raid. As far as the PG-13 rating
the language was worse than the violence, with a handful of "shit" and one "fuck"(Ford says it). No blood at all(even when one of the younger guys uses a shotgun).

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:31 pm 

You think they would've got 3's last fight right after everyone was complaining about how short the Van Damme/Stallone fight was. I wasn't expecting something as cool as the last fight in the raid but Mel Gibson had some pretty awesome fights in the Leathal Weapons so I was expecting something along those lines.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:30 am 

I wont be surprised at all if it gets really bad reviews, then they blame the leak for it flopping. If they wouldve done it right, then I wouldve seen it in theaters. Im not even going to see an "unrated" version, as im sure theyll do a blu ray for that.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:37 pm 

So apparently crappy director and all-around-shitty-person Brett Ratner's new Hercules film is a big lie.

What a surprise.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:49 pm 

I had no idea Brett Ratner made that movie.

And here I was thinking Dwayne Johnson alone would have made it at least kinda worth it. Certainly not as awful as the one that came out in January.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:26 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
How much longer before Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny is cemented into the halls of cult classic fandom? Re-watched that movie tonight, god I love that film. There's such a subtle genius to being both a pizza delivery guy and a part-time student-driving instructor.

I don't know about that, it was mostly forgettable and a big step down from the comedy on their first album and the original TV skits. I think it would've been better suited if it was condensed into an episode format. As it is, the content on The Complete Master Works is far batter.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:24 pm 

According to Box Office Mojo, Hercules is losing at the North American BO to that other new movie about how "most people only use 10% of their brains!" Pretty embarrassing since Hercules has the advantage of being rated PG-13.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:41 pm 

Yeah man, who the fuck is Luc Besson anyway?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:43 pm 

That movie Lucy had an awesome looking trailer. I'm looking forward to it, and from Luc Besson it should be very entertaining.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:46 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

Well, he's a filmmaker who, like all of them, is capable of both good things and bad things. I've said many times I like Taken (the first one), and I know he had something to do with that, but I'm still allowed to think his new movie looks lame. I'll keep an open mind when I eventually see it on DVD / cable / Amazon / whatever, though.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:27 pm 

Not only is Godzilla going to get a sequel and Gareth Edwards is returning, but they've officially announced that three of the most popular and famous monsters in Toho history outside of Godzilla will be joining him. That's right, Mothra, Rodan and King Fucking Ghidorah!

https://twitter.com/Legendary/status/493117010532786176

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:28 pm 

Nikita is also an amazing movie. From Paris With Love, Taken, District B13, The Fifth Element, The Professional...

He's responsible for a lot of great stuff. And obviously some shit, too. Especially with stuff he gives to Olivier Megaton to direct. Colombiana was junk. Taken 2 was junk. Taken 3 will probably be junk. Pierre Morel's stuff is great, though. He directed Taken, Distrct B13 and From Paris With Love.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:34 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

Well, he's a filmmaker who, like all of them, is capable of both good things and bad things. I've said many times I like Taken (the first one), and I know he had something to do with that, but I'm still allowed to think his new movie looks lame. I'll keep an open mind when I eventually see it on DVD / cable / Amazon / whatever, though.

May want to schedule your Sarcasm Detector for a check-up...
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:40 pm 

Bad Influence

Man is unhappy about his life and finds it hard to make changes. Then he meets this stranger who's willing to help his life change...at first things seem excited but then shit gets out of hand. Movie becomes slightly predictable after a while; eventually the guy turns against the stranger.The ending sucks, though...just when the stranger gets killed and the police eventually arrived the movie is over. Could have made that one more interesting/twisted in a way. Still, decent and fun watching. 3/5

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:37 pm 

What the fuck did I just see?! I mean, as just another swordfighting action movie it was okay, but almost entirely pointless to call it Hercules. In case any of y'all will still take a look despite the surely-upcoming terrible press, I'll spoiled it.
Where's the mythical beasties? Where's Hercules the demi-god trapped between our world and the next? I don't wanna see Hercules as some bitter washed-up jackass mercenary having occasional flashbacks to fighting monsters as an afterthought to the main story. This is bullshit, mang!
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:03 am 

The only movie I wanted to see at the cinema was Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and I saw it, so now I'll wait a month until something worthwhile comes along... Although I might see Guardians of the Galaxy, maybe.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:24 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
The only movie I wanted to see at the cinema was Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and I saw it, so now I'll wait a month until something worthwhile comes along... Although I might see Guardians of the Galaxy, maybe.

Theres that and Sin City 2...possibly Ninja Turtles, really depends on reviews, but I can wait. Expendables 3...that was the biggest Fuck You to R rated action fans ever.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:05 am 

Has anyone else seen the leaked teaser from SDCC for Superman vs Batman? If not, here's a link that will probably be taken down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... D32JbpV6FE

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:56 am 

Sin City 2 and Dumb and Dumber To are easily in my must see of the year, and there's no way I'll pass up seeing Interstellar in November.
Aurone wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8D32JbpV6FE
Yep, it's gone.

DeadAndMessedUp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:10 am 

I usually get annoyed to hell by watching new movies so I mostly watch old ones so to not waste my money, but recently when everything started to get stagnant, I rented Machete Kills, some horror movie that completely sucked so I wont mention it, Escape Plan with Sylvester and Arnold, and Dario Argento's Dracula.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:04 am 

The teaser for Batman vs. Superman leaked.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/33053 ... eaks-sdcc/

Get it while you can.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:17 am 

http://youtu.be/qQxvSsVQkoU?t=1m6s
Here's the big action scene from Expendables 3 :>)
Sadly, 90% of it was like this

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:14 pm 

I don't know about you guys but this new Mad Max trailer looks terrific! I have a feeling it'll do justice to the franchise.

DeadAndMessedUp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:21 pm 

I like The Expendables, and after that trailer i'm not looking forward to a reboot of a favorite movie. It has Conan written all over it. Who knows, maybe i'm wrong.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:52 pm 

Why does everyone here care this much about The Expendables again? I never got that memo.

The Purge 2: Anarchy - 1.5/5

I thought the first one was interesting but played it too safe, trying to appeal more to the mainstream cinema crowd and thus forsaking a lot of the intelligence that could have been there otherwise. While the idea behind these movies is supposed to be this big social commentary, it's just not delivering; instead giving us a few scraps of plot here and there and then making the other hour and a half just a big generic thriller movie with little to like. This one starts off okay, and the build up and atmosphere is kind of cool at first, but it goes to shit pretty fast with too many characters, too much shaky cam and very little of any meaning. I really did not like this at all and won't be seeing any future sequels.

DeadAndMessedUp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:00 pm 

Loyalty to the cast and I love action movies.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 473, 474, 475, 476, 477, 478, 479 ... 818  Next