Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:06 pm 

Oh, I watched Inherent Vice the other day.

Kind of on the fence about this one. I think I mostly dug the ridiculously over-the-top artsy narration. The performances were definitely great. However, the movie seemed like it couldn't quite decide whether it was worshiping at the altar of Lebowski or if it was trying to be incredibly serious. The problem with that approach is that the convoluted plot in The Big Lebowski effectively doesn't even really matter at all; it's all just a twisting series of excuses for zany shit to happen so that the wonderful characters can react to things. There's a decent chunk of that in Inherent Vice, too, but ultimately the movie takes its own plot super seriously, but there's just too much going on in it and too much time spent making all of the connections work and whatnot, and new plot threads pop up and disappear all the time just to advance the labyrinthine plot. So...all in all I'd say it was good stuff and I had a good time watching it, but it could've been better for sure.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:02 am 

Metantoine wrote:
No interest in seeing American Sniper at fucking all, Eastwood is a patriotic moron with too much influence.

Watched John Wick tonight and it was beyond badass. Yeah, the script could be resumed in like 2 sentences but the fight choreographies were great and the overall art direction sweet as fuck. Keanu was cool as this retired level 200 assassin! Best action movie of the decade so far.

Of the DECADE? I haven't seen it but...surely you jest? Nothing can compare with The Raid: Redemption. That movie has ruined fighting scenes for me in almost every other film. Everything else looks so slow and fake.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:21 am 

Watched John Wick tonight and it was beyond badass. Yeah, the script could be resumed in like 2 sentences but the fight choreographies were great and the overall art direction sweet as fuck. Keanu was cool as this retired level 200 assassin! Best action movie of the decade so far.[/quote]

Of the DECADE? I haven't seen it but...surely you jest? Nothing can compare with The Raid: Redemption. That movie has ruined fighting scenes for me in almost every other film. Everything else looks so slow and fake.[/quote]
Yeah, John Wick was good, but hardly even compares to the badassness of The Raid movies. It at least got rid of the bad taste in my mouth that was Expendables 3.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:25 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
No interest in seeing American Sniper at fucking all, Eastwood is a patriotic moron with too much influence. Watched John Wick tonight and it was beyond badass. Yeah, the script could be resumed in like 2 sentences but the fight choreographies were great and the overall art direction sweet as fuck. Keanu was cool as this retired level 200 assassin! Best action movie of the decade so far.

Of the DECADE? I haven't seen it but...surely you jest? Nothing can compare with The Raid: Redemption. That movie has ruined fighting scenes for me in almost every other film. Everything else looks so slow and fake.
Bit of reach to say 'of the decade'. I think it's a good solid action movie, little on the dialogue but much more than something like Drive, that's for sure. I had no problem with the fighting, it's Hollywood fight scenes of course only much more satisfying, well shot with no shaky cam and visuals that are strikingly beautiful to look at.

In an ideal world it would have soared at the box office. But obviously being an R film and being released with many other good films, also Keanu Reeves has been getting the Tom Cruise avoidance treatment for awhile.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:46 pm 

That's because he kept making bad movies for quite sometime. It does seem like he's being a bit more sensible about his choices lately though, seems to be taking a bit more control over his career instead of just doing whatever pays the bills.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:57 pm 

Sir Nicholas Cage is playing the starring role in a movie about a mountain man conspiracy theorist who hunts Osama bin Laden with a samurai sword. And it's based on a true story.

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmak ... -bin-laden

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:00 pm 

John Wick was BOSS. Loved it.

Also, I will see the FUCK out of that Cage movie.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:07 pm 

I need to watch The Raid but I don't think it was a stretch to say that John Wick was the best action movie of 2010-2014!

And yeah, this role is perfect for Nicolas Cage, the katana thing reminds me of The Weather Man when he had his bow!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:18 pm 

John Wick has been on my to-watch list for quite sometime. The only reason I've not watched it yet is because the trailer's blue-ish whitebalance setting threw me off. Silly, I know, but I'll get down to it since I see a few gushing reviews.

I watched the 'Imitation Game' and 'Theory of Everything' back to back over the weekend. I couldn't appreciate Imitation Game fully because I think I'm getting sick of seeing Benedict's face everywhere. 'Theory of Everything' on the other hand, was magnificent. I remember being given Hawking's ABHoT when I was young and since then I've always been intrigued about his struggles. I think the guy who played Hawking really owned it from the get go, making it so believable and captivating. I'd reckon if everyone watched this movie, it would garner better awareness for ALS than that stupid ice-bucket challenge from last year.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:49 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I need to watch The Raid but I don't think it was a stretch to say that John Wick was the best action movie of 2010-2014!!

Oh. Now I understand completely. You'll get it when you see this film. There is literally nothing else that compares. You can go back much further than a decade.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:53 pm 

If only The Raid had an even halfway decent movie beneath all of the Cool Shit...

And Raid 2 was far, far worse, unfortunately.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:19 pm 

What, you wanted a storyline? Fuck outta here!

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:39 pm 

If you haven't seen The Raid (+The Raid 2) I can't really use your opinion on action movies after 2010 for anything.

I just watched them again back to back (with beers!) with some friends who haven't seen them before the other they, they're still insane. Yes, they have flaws, very different flaws for the different movies, but for sheer bad ass action, intensity and wow-factor, they're the best action movies in like, ever, in my opinion. You have to go Terminator 2 or something to get something as actionly awesome (though in a very different way).

Also John Wick sucked ass, watched it two days ago with a buddy after we heard the surprisingly good reviews. I had to convince him to watch the final action scenes, but I thought, why not, we've wasted 1½ hour on this, let finish the last 20. Seriously it was bad.
The hotel/bar only for assassins and gangsters? Shit. The execution because the female assassin broke the rules? The shoot outs were Keanu just goes out from beyond cover, shoots three guys and goes back in even though everyone is firing at him? The 'kill 40 guys in the exact same way in fire-fight-hand-to-hand-combat where he never gets hit, in a nightclub? The 8 minutes of flashbacks/sad montage of his wife? THE FUCKING ENTIRE STORY WHERE HE TAKES DOWN THE ENTIRE MOB BECAUSE THEY KILL HIS DOG? Urgh. Never again.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:15 pm 

This guy gets it! The "cool stuff" IS the movie.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:34 pm 

Yeah, which is why I didn't like the second one anywhere near as much. The premise isn't as exceptional for allowing "cool stuff" to happen, and nothing cool happens for like a fucking hour. Wayyyy too much plot buildup.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:06 pm 

The second was a grower for me. I was disappointed on the first viewing. It's way too long. They tried too hard to wedge a plot in a movie that didn't need one. So many things wrong with it. That being said...I've probably seen it five times now? Some of those fight scenes are so layered. You can find something new to love in the prison mud-brawl scene over and over and over. I also really enjoyed Hammer Girl and Baseball Guy as sub-bosses.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:32 pm 

Just saw John Wick, too. Definitely not as good as I'd hoped. The club scene was cool and I actually was liking the music, too. But the film as a whole? Not as stylish as I thought, either. People praising it made it out to be camera filtered as hell and well executed with the shooting / fighting. Not really. Just has the same Mojo preset you can get for Adobe, the CGI blood in way too many parts threw me off, and there were plenty of times Reeves could have been shot point blank as 1 guy (or 2, or 3, or 16) had their gun on him. It was almost like a video game where if the bad guy isn't on screen, he technically doesn't exist and therefore can't hurt you. Riiiiiiight. The type of humor also reminded me of Gross Point Blank, that movie with John Cusack that was about hitmen also. That one was upfront with it, though.

I'd watch Taken three times over before thinking of seeing John Wick again.

Just go watch Raid 2 for basically even less realism but a way, way better film. I loved it.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:58 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I'd watch Taken three times over before thinking of seeing John Wick again.

Tell us what you really think.

:roll:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:01 pm 

Wait the guy in The Raid: Redemption is the guy from fucking Merantau?

WHY WASN'T THIS MADE CLEAR BEFORE??

I had always been putting the movie off for whatever reason (I'm 10000% sure I'd love it since I have an unbelievable boner for Ong Bak and obviously Merantau), but now that I realize it's Iko Uwais I'm all over that shit. Right this second. Dude is fucking legit.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:06 pm 

The Raid makes Merantau look like Ong Bak, and Ong Bak look like Titanic.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:07 pm 

Ong Bak is seriously like a top 20 movie for me, so it's unfortunate that the sequels suck such an incomprehensible amount of ass.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:13 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I had always been putting the movie off for whatever reason
A lot of people don't watch The Raid films because it's a different language to English. Because anything that is not English is not watchable apparently.

I randomly watched The Interview and Tusk the other night because I was drunk at a friends house. Surprisingly not an utterly bad film, at least I thought Franco's character and his mannerisms was actually quite funny. The Eminem interview at the start was funny and made me think Eminem is not a complete dickhead. Seth Rogen was just there as usual playing Seth Rogen with his stupid voice and laugh, but the film focused on Franco's character equally so it was watchable. Certainly much better than Neighbors.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:15 pm 

I kind of want to see John Wick, but I'm expecting it to be another super-Hollywoodized revenge flick where it just makes it out like revenge is the coolest thing in the world and Keanu Reeves is an immortal invincible badass, with no real character or anything. But a lot of people have been raving about it so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

I guess I should finally buckle down and watch those Raid movies too.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:19 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
A lot of people don't watch The Raid films because it's a different language to English. Because anything that is not English is not watchable apparently.

I swear I'll stop after this. After the second viewing you don't even need subtitles. I don't bother anymore.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:17 am 

The Raid is actually one of those films where "turn off your brain" really does apply, like iamntbatman said a while back. It's fucking retarded and fails at almost all the usual standards of filmmaking but it has lots of fighting. So there's...fighting. Enjoy the fighting.

John Wick looked like expensive trash from the trailer, but I'll probably watch it when I'm bored on Netflix at some point in the future. Couldn't be worse than Kill Bill, and I made myself watch both of those...

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:22 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I kind of want to see John Wick, but I'm expecting it to be another super-Hollywoodized revenge flick where it just makes it out like revenge is the coolest thing in the world and Keanu Reeves is an immortal invincible badass, with no real character or anything. But a lot of people have been raving about it so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

I guess I should finally buckle down and watch those Raid movies too.

Definetely do. What really pissed me off is how Stallone had the balls to tweet how he wanted to outdo The Raid and Rambo with Expendables 3. Everything about that movie was bullshit.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:18 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

Literally the next word after the quoted section begins a sentence wherein I shower praise upon two films from Thailand and Indonesia. Just Imagine my eyes are crossed and I'm making a Ziltoid face.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:43 am 

darkeningday wrote:
If only The Raid had an even halfway decent movie beneath all of the Cool Shit...

And Raid 2 was far, far worse, unfortunately.

"If only Bolt Thrower had an even halfway decent orchestra backing and angelic choir beneath all the pummeling riffs."

EDIT: "And Jungle Rot is far, far worse, unfortunately."

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:06 am 

So.. The Babadook was a genuinely terrible waste of time. Loaded with spastic spooky visuals because "scary", all the subtly and slow buildup amounted to nothing more than any number of cliche-ridden American
possession
films. The third act knocks it right into the catcher's mit. Frankly, I'm a little peeved I bought into the hype and expected something somewhat similar to The Exorcist or having a burst of originality. Just another example on an overrated film getting popularity it doesn't deserve. - 2/5

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:45 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
So.. The Babadook was a genuinely terrible waste of time. Loaded with spastic spooky visuals because "scary", all the subtly and slow buildup amounted to nothing more than any number of cliche-ridden American
possession
films. The third act knocks it right into the catcher's mit. Frankly, I'm a little peeved I bought into the hype and expected something somewhat similar to The Exorcist or having a burst of originality. Just another example on an overrated film getting popularity it doesn't deserve. - 2/5

Wow. Im reading so many mixed things on it, such as its very scary, to what you said.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:52 am 

I think I might have actually liked the first Ong Bak movie more than The Raid. It could just be that I was younger when I saw Ong Bak and it was the most mindblowing martial arts movie I'd ever seen, with some of the coolest fight scenes ever. The Raid is basically a very R-rated Ong Bak. Both are great. If anyone can recommend me more movies like that, other than their sequels, then do so.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:54 am 

The Babadook is a genius horror movie. I dunno voluteswarth, I didn't get any of that from it and you know how I feel about "cliche American possession movies." The Babadook had this great use of metaphor alluding to

a single mother going insane and thinking about killing her child - there's a "turning point" moment where you really see what the movie is doing, where the mom suddenly looks all haggard and is spending time in bed while the kid complains about having no food, and she screams at him - that was startling as fuck and really morbid. Great stuff, especially with how they revealed that.

And a bunch of really great scares and atmospheric moments played off each other masterfully. Really great build-ups and payoffs in terms of scares. Plus the third act was great even with how carnivalesque and insane it was.

You get to see the kid fighting off the "monster" exactly how he kept saying he was going to earlier in the movie; with his toys and what not. That's badass, and way more creative than a run of the mill exorcism or redemption scene. It got over the top, but it needed to be.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:09 pm 

I finally watched Brick (2005) and it rocks! I'm a total sucker for film noire and detective movies/series/boks of all kind so maybe I'm a little biased, the plot was good enough to keep me interested, the crossover between highschool drama and hard boiled crime worked fine and Joseph Gordon-Levitt is awesome in everything he appears. In many film forums there is a pretty big hatred towards the movie, specifically towards the crime slang and cool-as-hell lines that the characters (mostly teenagers or young adults) use. I disagree, thats precisely the point of the movie, to convey the noire cliches (which in a genre like film noire are at the same time the weaker and the stronger qualities) in a totally atypical setting. There are no adults in Brick, just as in old detective movies there are no kids or teens (unless they are somehow ridiculously related to the big mistery) overall I totally enjoyed the film so I highly recommend it.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:46 pm 

Yeah, Brick is a great movie. I can see how the dialog isn't for everyone, but I find it clever and punchy without taking itself too seriously. It's just fun use of language in a way 99% of movies don't bother with; even people lauded for great dialog like Tarantino either write about unconventional subjects or just write regular stuff really well; they rarely do anything that adventurous with the English language itself.

Also it's funny to see the little kid from Witness grow up to play a heroin dealer.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:58 pm 

Razakel wrote:
I think I might have actually liked the first Ong Bak movie more than The Raid. It could just be that I was younger when I saw Ong Bak and it was the most mindblowing martial arts movie I'd ever seen, with some of the coolest fight scenes ever. The Raid is basically a very R-rated Ong Bak. Both are great. If anyone can recommend me more movies like that, other than their sequels, then do so.

This is how I felt after watching it last night. There were definitely some parts where I gasped or winced with how fucking brutal the violence got, but Ong Bak certainly left a bigger impression on me. Maybe it's because it was one of the first marital arts movies I'd seen that wasn't a total cheesefest, but just how visceral it felt is something I still don't quite think I've experienced since. The Raid was a very fun watch, no doubt, and I'm sure I'll watch it again, but the fight scenes (while very raw and bloody at times) didn't quite reach the same "wow" factor that the first Ong Bak did. Maybe Tony Jaa just sells it better?

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:59 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The Babadook is a genius horror movie. I dunno voluteswarth, I didn't get any of that from it and you know how I feel about "cliche American possession movies." The Babadook had this great use of metaphor alluding to
a single mother going insane and thinking about killing her child - there's a "turning point" moment where you really see what the movie is doing, where the mom suddenly looks all haggard and is spending time in bed while the kid complains about having no food, and she screams at him - that was startling as fuck and really morbid. Great stuff, especially with how they revealed that.

And a bunch of really great scares and atmospheric moments played off each other masterfully. Really great build-ups and payoffs in terms of scares. Plus the third act was great even with how carnivalesque and insane it was.
You get to see the kid fighting off the "monster" exactly how he kept saying he was going to earlier in the movie; with his toys and what not. That's badass, and way more creative than a run of the mill exorcism or redemption scene. It got over the top, but it needed to be.

Well, I'm just gonna have to spoil tag all this.
I liked that angle of the mother's nervous breakdown although it got ridiculous later and I don't feel it needed to be. Opposite to the kid, who was super annoying until the third act, like completely unlikable and we're supposed to care what happens to him? I cared more about the dog's death. The toys were cool I guess but didn't exactly do much, also the catapult contraption was unbelievable and shouldn't have been introduced so early. There was no pay off to the story book scenes, other than being the predictable/done-countless-times plot device to explain the title character and building atmosphere (which it did so I'll give it that), and the police visit with The Babadook costume was just there to make us paranoid? The Babadook was interesting in the early stages but when revealed in the brief stop-animation scene on the roof it became sigh inducing. Maybe I'm getting tired of possession movies but would it be awful for once we got an actual living monster, that lives inside the walls of the house, or some labyrinth like maze under the house? Change of mother's voice - kind of dumb. The last scene was really boring and mimicked The Conjuring with woman tied up acting spastic and lots of screaming, we will scream away the bad things, yawn fest. Honestly, I'd rate it lower than both Insidious films, they at least tried a couple of original ideas.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:02 pm 

The Babadook was average at best. If you want a real Australian horror movie, watch Wake In Fright. Now that's a goddamn good movie.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:35 pm 

I liked Incident and Raven's Gate - it's sometimes classified as a sci-fi movie, but it's more horror in my opinion, with the scary parts of Close Encounters of the Third Kind ramped up and exposition and Spielbergy parts mostly absent. It's not perfect, but it's good in that it has an unusual setting (farm in the Australian outback) and it's unpredictable in a lot of ways.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:54 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
I liked that angle of the mother's nervous breakdown although it got ridiculous later and I don't feel it needed to be. Opposite to the kid, who was super annoying until the third act, like completely unlikable and we're supposed to care what happens to him? I cared more about the dog's death. The toys were cool I guess but didn't exactly do much, also the catapult contraption was unbelievable and shouldn't have been introduced so early. There was no pay off to the story book scenes, other than being the predictable/done-countless-times plot device to explain the title character and building atmosphere (which it did so I'll give it that), and the police visit with The Babadook costume was just there to make us paranoid? The Babadook was interesting in the early stages but when revealed in the brief stop-animation scene on the roof it became sigh inducing. Maybe I'm getting tired of possession movies but would it be awful for once we got an actual living monster, that lives inside the walls of the house, or some labyrinth like maze under the house? Change of mother's voice - kind of dumb. The last scene was really boring and mimicked The Conjuring with woman tied up acting spastic and lots of screaming, we will scream away the bad things, yawn fest. Honestly, I'd rate it lower than both Insidious films, they at least tried a couple of original ideas.

The "scream your problems away" thing did bother me a bit too, but the execution was much better than usual and the stuff around it was way above the normal - that part could have probably been improved upon though, I'll concede that.

On the kid...
I liked his transformation. Yes he was annoying at first, and like you I thought the same sort of thing - we're supposed to feel sorry for him? But as the film goes on, you see that the annoyingness was just how his own mother saw him - his real personality, i.e. a regular kid, comes out later on. I thought that bit was brilliantly done.

The storybook thing...
Maybe a bit jarring, but I dunno, I just took it to be manifestations of her own paranoia...it was cool to me.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:50 pm 

@Empyreal, I think we're going to disagree on this particular movie like Candyman.

@waiguoren and failsafeman, I'll take both films on board, especially 'Wake in Fright' because Donald Pleasence and I'm not too fond of alien encounter films.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 505, 506, 507, 508, 509, 510, 511 ... 818  Next