Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:49 pm 

Oh shit... I need to see that, along with Over the Top.

From the Netflix synopsis: Only months before he's due to be released from prison, model inmate Frank Leone (Sylvester Stallone) is transferred from a medium-security facility to a barbaric hellhole run by the ruthless Warden Drumgoole.

:lol:

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:46 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Speaking of ridiculous over the top 80s action flicks, has anyone else seen Stallone - Lock Up (1989)? Stallone really is one of the worst actors, huh? Anyways, that movie kinda has it all. So ridiculous. The highlight is the always awesome Donald Sutherland as literally the most evil prison warden of all time, it's insane. John Amos (Coming to America) is in that bitch too. This is a drama/prison film action extravaganza with all the cliches jammed in.

I thought it was pretty solid.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:15 am 

‎"Exit through the gift shop".....christ, what a funny film. That last line, "I used to tell everyone I met to create art. I don't really do that anymore". One of the best films about art, fame and hype you'll ever see.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:34 pm 

My thoughts on grafitti "artist" Banksy, and pretty much anything he's ever done.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:42 pm 

Wow, what an insightful, sober and constructive piece of criticism.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:19 pm 

Yeah I agree re: Banksy. Definitely overrated drivel. Charlie Brooker is awesome. His film, gaming, and TV critiques are all worthwhile shows.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:54 pm 

I beg to differ. I think Banksy's stuff is, while obviously not "fine art", hilariously funny and really quite clever.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:59 pm 

I've got no opinion on the man but, my god, what an idiotic article.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:09 am 

That was a bunch of immature crap. Never really followed Banksy seriously but I've heard about a few of his stunts and while I wouldn't champion him as a figurehead for my ideals or anything, they sound entertaining enough. I don't really have a problem with it anyway...certainly more mature than that shitty article.

Watched Teeth the other day. Expected it to be silly gimmicky crap but was pleasantly surprised - really good, actually. Funny and a lot more powerful than I'd expect a film with that premise to be. I really, honestly did not expect to like it as much as I did.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:13 am 

failsafeman wrote:
The greatest action movie of all time?

Yup, top 5 at the very least.
Quote:
:lol: You're funny.

No, I'm serious.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:55 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Yeah I agree re: Banksy. Definitely overrated drivel. Charlie Brooker is awesome. His film, gaming, and TV critiques are all worthwhile shows.

Agreed! Brooker is one of a very small number of social media critics (and, more recently, political commentators) I've rarely--if ever--disagreed with. Curt, witty and always insightful. People labeling him or his articles "immature" clearly don't understand what he's getting at. Hint: Banksy is a child, so he treats him like one.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:07 am 

Well what a fucking idioting approach at art critique. If he can't take his subject seriously he should probably do shitty stand up comedy instead.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:24 am 

And if Banksy had anything to do with 'art', I'd probably agree with you.

It's just pop subversion: designed for idiots, promoted for idiots, consumed by idiots. Form follows function.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:35 am 

You don't like it, so it's not art. Mmmhmmm.
Street art: Consumed by idiots. Interesting.

Before someone concludes that I must be an upset fanboy, I pretty much agree with Empyreal regarding Banksy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:18 am 

The idea behind that article is fine, the writing just sucks. Basically it's just lame because caring so much about something that you need to write scathing, hate-fueled and pseudo-satirical junk like that just doesn't show a very mature or well reasoned outlook. Makes him come off as intelligent, sure, but wasting it on nonsense.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:44 am 

Empyreal wrote:
That was a bunch of immature crap. Never really followed Banksy seriously but I've heard about a few of his stunts and while I wouldn't champion him as a figurehead for my ideals or anything, they sound entertaining enough. I don't really have a problem with it anyway...certainly more mature than that shitty article.

Watched Teeth the other day. Expected it to be silly gimmicky crap but was pleasantly surprised - really good, actually. Funny and a lot more powerful than I'd expect a film with that premise to be. I really, honestly did not expect to like it as much as I did.

Nowhere near Brooker's "best" article or feature. Clearly you're not aware of his work? Pretty sure the point of that spiel was to ridicule "Banksy" with an article with just enough trite immaturity for your average (moronic) reader to take it at face value? Check out Charlie Brooker's art and compare it to some tired puns of Disney/Vietnam. Stencil "artists" have been justifying their laziness for decades with that shit.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:59 pm 

I just finished Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, which I'd found very enjoyable. Tim Roth and Gary Oldman played their roles very well, and I think that greatly helped the movie stay engaging all-throughout its duration.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:05 pm 

Tom Stoppard <3.

I was quite miffed his rendition of The Golden Compass was ultimately tossed out--no matter how weak it was, it couldn't possibly have been worse than Chris Weitz's...

in_human_form
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:29 pm 

So yeah I just saw In Bruges. It's just a funny, dark, witty, well-acted and beautiful film. I highly recommend it.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:39 pm 

Colin Farell sucks in it, but Gleason is great.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:00 am 

Super 8 - 3/5

There can be no denying that this film shares similarities to those 80's movies I grew up with, but I found the overall impact to be weaker. After such a fun and surprising first half, full of adventure, mystery and intrigue, the second half mostly serves as a melodramatic, disaster movie. I found several characters and subplots needed more coverage and comedic moments were mostly hit and miss because of silly dialogue or unwarranted humour. There was a lot of far fetched coincidences and bits of luck throughout the movie that put Kingdom of the Crystal Skull to shame. The sheer amount of these is what I found hard to ignore and with no proper evidence to show why or how they could happen, or alternatively poking fun at it for not being probable, whatever realism or menace certain characters or events had felt unreal and the element of suspense was lost. A thing that annoyed me was the fat kid/director wannabe, he was such a selfish jerk and continuously looked like he was trying to find a place to shit (this is achieved when an actor plays the worried card too much). For this kid to have any friends at all is beyond belief. Upon further thought, there is actually several things that got on my nerves which can't be told without spoiler tags. I liked the idea and I really wanted this film to exceed or at least satisfy my expectations so I could look back at it with fondness, but it doesn't hold a candle to the earlier films which gave it birth.

in_human_form
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:44 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Colin Farell sucks in it, but Gleason is great.

I disagree. I found Farrell charming, funny, and likable.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:28 pm 

Colin Farrell isn't that great in general, but I don't really remember him detracting from In Bruges. Fiennes and Gleeson are the real gems in that one though - fun flick.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:15 pm 

Agreed, Fiennes was so awesome in that movie. I found it to be Farrell's least annoying performance, as he seems comfortable playing an idiot.

Watched Megamind on a whim yesterday and was very pleasantly surprised. Some parts are genuinely very funny and it's a charming movie. I just love those kinds of kids movies where most of the jokes work better on older people.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:26 pm 

lost skeleton of cadavra - 4/5. freaking hilarious homage to b movies like "plan 9". i was laughing all the way through at the intentionally wooden dialog and primitive special effects.

Metallic Kilt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:00 am 

Lawless - I seriously tried to come up with an explanation as to why I like this movie. But my ADHD renders me incapable of doing such a thing. I like things just because... I like them. Trying to explain why requires organized thinking and my thought noggin does not like organized thoughts. It prefers to think about ejaculatory volley balls heralding the end of all things horny and fluorescent. And it took no effort to think of that nonsense. So... um... 3.75/5.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:55 am 

Hrhmmmmmmm (will you get the reference, I wonder.)

Metallic Kilt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:52 am 

Are you impersonating Forrest?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:01 am 

haha yes! It was so awesome that half his dialogue was just grunts and he was still infinitely badass.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:58 am 

Hobo With A Shotgun. This was a load of garbage(literally). When it's not being incredibly gory, I mean- there's a scene where a guy fucks a giant octopus; it fails an attempt to be artsy with awkward camera angles and harsh lighting.

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:42 am 

Hobo With A Shotgun was suppose to be artsy? Mind you I haven't watched it but I figured it was going to be aweful intentionally. From the trailer it looked like one of those lame homages to 70's/80's exploitation movies. Like Grindhouse and Machete.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:44 am 

Well considering that it's one of the fake trailers for Grindhouse like Machete was, yeah, it is.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:32 am 

The Ides of March (2011) 4/5 Watch

Some people who like politics (considering recent upcoming elections in the USA) would like this movie because it shows a great view on the how raw politics work and how evil it is. I think the actors delivered well the idea of what does it take to win an election in being the next Governor, senate, president.

The Dictator (2012) 2.5/5 Skip

I loved what Sasha did in Borat and Bruno but this comedy was flat because the humor is 5th grade ass, fart and penis jokes. Today that doesnt cut anymore unless its delivered with some sarcasm and witty flow. There was a political message about how USA are the biggest tyrant in the world, but who cares when you watch Borat over and over....... Overall it reminded me of a lame Adam Sandler movie - not really worth watching unless you are a big fan.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:05 pm 

Hobo with a Shotgun was awesome. It was incredibly tasteless and lewd and gory, but those factors helped drive its point home. It wasn't very subtle at all, but it really worked and left an impact, so I can say I liked it. It's a weird movie because you're not really sure if it's good when you're sitting there watching it - but for me personally, by the end I came out pretty satisfied, and even though it was really harsh and unpleasant, it did have a very quantifiable effect. It was about a guy standing up against wrongs in his city. If it had a different name, and was presented a little less over the top, it probably would've been taken quite seriously. But it was one of those movies that sort of played with expectations by blending silly B-grade shlock with a pretty serious undertone at other parts - so it probably alienated a lot of people because of that.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:20 pm 

Meh, didn't like it. It was just another dumb movie concept trying to be more than it actually was, which was an homage to other dumb movies.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:52 pm 

http://monsterhunternews.com/2012/09/pa ... ter-movie/

:durr: It's bad enough this cunt had to ruin Resident Evil, now he wants to have a go at Monster Hunter. I just hope he doesn't go through with it.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:10 pm 

:lol: ruin Resident Evil? As if that series was some sort of artistic endeavor? I dig those movies because they are just as ridiculously cheesy as the games.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:15 pm 

I think movies based on video games are almost always a bad idea

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:33 pm 

There's actually a recent Cracked article on why the Resi movies are better than the games.

Because comparing the quality of pieces of different art forms is always a great idea.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:40 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Watched Megamind on a whim yesterday and was very pleasantly surprised. Some parts are genuinely very funny and it's a charming movie. I just love those kinds of kids movies where most of the jokes work better on older people.

Ah, yes, loved that one. Pixar always delivers. I also think the soundtrack was seriously cool (they're all very well known hard rock songs, but they were used in an awesome way).

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358 ... 818  Next