Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:50 pm 

aloof wrote:
there are three Japanese and two American ones afaik, not sure where this one sits exactly...
This sits in unnecessary existence.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:32 am 

Point Break (2015) - This was watchable mainly because the scenery was nice. But it felt like an excuse to showcase one "extreme" activity after another: dirt biking, surfing, rock climbing, snowboarding, those flying squirrel suits (?), and even a part that reminded me of Fight Club. The relationship between Bodhi and Utah wasn't all that compelling, and the other guys in Bodhi's crew felt interchangeable to me.

Some people totally despise this movie, which I didn't. Maybe they hold the original in higher regard than I do, and were never going to like a remake anyway. I found it inoffensive, and it went by faster than its 1 hour 54 minute runtime would suggest. (The end credits take up about 15 minutes.) Or maybe it seemed better than it really was, because I had just watched...

Prom Night (2008) - During her prom at a fancy hotel, a girl is stalked by a creepier version of Timothy Olyphant. He had killed her family years before, and now he's escaped from the institution to resume his misguided romantic pursuit by killing her friends, the hotel staff, and any cops in the way.

Even for PG-13 horror, this was lame. The "final girl" ends up being totally passive throughout the entire movie. Couldn't they have written it so she figures out the danger before anyone else, then has to outsmart the psycho? There's also a subplot where the main character's group of friends doesn't like the wannabe prom queen. Maybe once they find out there's a killer on the loose, they'll put the high school drama BS aside and work together? But no, it doesn't really go anywhere.

I haven't seen the Jamie Lee Curtis movie this is loosely based on, but I don't see how it could be worse.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:33 am 

It's not even loosely based on that movie. It's got absolutely nothing in common with the 80s Prom Night outside of the name. The original is basically I Know What You Did Last Summer in the 80s.

And yeah, the 2008 Prom Night is the archetypal example of just how terrible PG-13 horror can be. Complete and utter waste of resources.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:20 pm 

Subrick wrote:
It's not even loosely based on that movie. It's got absolutely nothing in common with the 80s Prom Night outside of the name. The original is basically I Know What You Did Last Summer in the 80s.

And yeah, the 2008 Prom Night is the archetypal example of just how terrible PG-13 horror can be. Complete and utter waste of resources.

I remember when that came out and my friend was wanting to see it so badly that he even paid for my ticket, since I absolutely didnt. I dont think Ive ever laughed so much during a movie and every teenage girl screamed the whole time.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:33 pm 

Sometimes I go to IMDB or BoxOfficeMojo and look up these crappy horror movies after watching them, and I'm surprised they were theatrically released at all. From memory, 2008 would have been the year I was raving about Iron Man and The Dark Knight, but I don't even recall seeing ads for a Prom Night movie. Yet BOM says it had a solid $20.8 million opening weekend in North America.

Same thing just happened with The Gallows a couple weeks ago. I watched it, basically dismissed it as another pointless exercise in straight-to-DVD found footage, then discovered it actually made $43 million worldwide on a $100,000 budget. :o

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:32 pm 

It's weird to think that movie came out in the same year as The Dark Knight. Two completely, diametrically opposite schools of movie making right before your eyes, released only three months apart from one another.

Here's another dogshit horror flick for you: Sorority Row. Yet another I Know What You Did Last Summer clone, this time in a sorority and featuring a clearly-not-giving-a-shit Carrie Fisher cursing her way through the whole movie every time she's on screen. Yes, she is the most entertaining thing in the whole movie. It's on Netflix if you ever desire to see its lameness for yourself.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:44 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Same thing just happened with The Gallows a couple weeks ago. I watched it, basically dismissed it as another pointless exercise in straight-to-DVD found footage, then discovered it actually made $43 million worldwide on a $100,000 budget. :o

Planet Money did a piece looking movie revenues, and shitty horror movies consistently provide some of the best return on investment. One of the best returns in the past few years was The Devil Inside. The movie was absolute garbage of course, but it only cost 1 million to make, they spent 5 million on marketing, and it took in about 50 million before word got out it was horseshit and ticket sales plummeted. So even though many people agree these movies are shit, the incentive is there to just keep cranking them out.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/ ... -hollywood

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:04 pm 

One note on The Devil Inside: It actually made over $100 million. $50 million domestic, though, and the other half was international. That movie was one of the shittiest pieces of shit I've ever seen. I would have KILLED to be in a physical movie theater to see it, solely because of all the stories I've heard of people openly backlashing against it in said theaters, specifically the ending.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:48 pm 

I watched Sorority Row a couple years ago and vaguely remember not liking it much, but I didn't even remember Princess Leia was in it. I never saw The House on Sorority Row from 1983 so I don't know if it's another in-name-only remake.

Quote:
So even though many people agree these movies are shit, the incentive is there to just keep cranking them out.

Yeah, I'm fascinated by Jason Blum's filmography. 96 Producer credits, all but 8 of which are from 2006 or later. Heck, I actually like some of his movies such as Insidious and Oculus and (not remotely horror) Whiplash. I even thought The Lazarus Effect wasn't terrible.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:17 pm 

Subrick wrote:
One note on The Devil Inside: It actually made over $100 million. $50 million domestic, though, and the other half was international. That movie was one of the shittiest pieces of shit I've ever seen. I would have KILLED to be in a physical movie theater to see it, solely because of all the stories I've heard of people openly backlashing against it in said theaters, specifically the ending.

I knew the ending beforehand and yeah, people were pissed to say the least.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:44 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
I watched Sorority Row a couple years ago and vaguely remember not liking it much, but I didn't even remember Princess Leia was in it. I never saw The House on Sorority Row from 1983 so I don't know if it's another in-name-only remake.

It's a more faithful a remake than the Prom Night one, that's for sure. It changes some stuff around, but the basic concept is at least still there.

A number of months ago I watched the remake of My Bloody Valentine. It was alright, but the excessive CGI blood was extremely distracting. What is the point of CGI blood? It's more expensive and always looks infinitely faker than if you just went to Walmart, bought Karo syrup and red food dye, and mixed it in a vat.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:36 am 

Subrick wrote:
ChineseDownhill wrote:

It's a more faithful a remake than the Prom Night one, that's for sure. It changes some stuff around, but the basic concept is at least still there.

A number of months ago I watched the remake of My Bloody Valentine. It was alright, but the excessive CGI blood was extremely distracting. What is the point of CGI blood? It's more expensive and always looks infinitely faker than if you just went to Walmart, bought Karo syrup and red food dye, and mixed it in a vat.

CGI blood is easier, since if you do it the old way, if you mess it up, you have to do the scene all over again, but with cgi, you can just edit it. You can even be more creative and do both, like in Walking Dead.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:03 pm 

CGI blood works best when it's quick and done. The scene in Rambo (4th one) with the .50 cal mowdown was mosrly CGI blood and it worked because you weren't given time to linger on it. It's when you get extended shots and close up looks at it (the knife thrown through the baddy in The Expendables) that it's an issue.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:41 am 

Seen two movies this week...

Imperium - This was an incredibly uncomfortable, dark film. The story, apparently based on real life, is about this kinda loner FBI agent and war vet who infiltrates a white power group. The way the film draws a parallel between his own isolation and need for something "more" in life, and that which draws people to join white power groups (or any other extremist faction) was fascinating and very well written.

I thought this came a little close to being too current-times political and in your face, which almost robbed it of its power, but the film didn't betray me and it stuck to its real story all the way through, never just becoming some sort of mouthpiece or shallow political statement. Daniel Radcliffe is amazing and the film is actively tense, scary and uncomfortable as fuck to watch - the way these white power guys act is awful and repugnant to watch and the film rubs your nose in it to great effect, mirroring how Radcliffe feels. But then it isn't quite that simple either.

Excellent stuff - Radcliffe's two for two this year with this and Swiss Army Man.

Kubo and the Two Strings - Pretty solid kids film. A fantasy about a boy who goes on an epic journey. Very gorgeous visually and likable characters and storytelling. It was a bit generic and I can't say it gripped me, but I didn't regret seeing it. It was fun.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:49 am 

For some reason today I was thinking how terrible The Day After Tomorrow was. I was thinking about - while they weren't exactly superb movies otherwise - the Dawn of the Dead remake and the Tom Cruise War of the Worlds remake really nailed the feeling of being overwhelmed by a catastrophe because of how rapidly they went from normal to everything hitting the fan, really getting the gravity of it across, while in The Day After Tomorrow, which is actually supposed to get just that feeling across, everything drags in endless build-up, and by the time something finally happens the reaction of the viewer is not how catastrophic it is, but relief that Emmerich is finally getting to the fucking point. I think his mind was still in Independence Day where the build-up worked very well because it added mystery, leaving people wondering what's going on for a while, but The Day After Tomorrow should have gone for the opposite, no mystery, no wondering, but everything falling apart faster than the view can keep up.

I know that's probably too much analysis than popcorn cinema warrants, but still, a bit disappointing. But not the only way in which that movie was weak.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:39 pm 

Suicide Squad - Off the bat I never intended to see this so my hopes were very low. There's a good movie in here but what's here is a structural mess, the pace is sporadic and tonally it's inconsistent. I never felt suspense throughout and that's a pretty big deal, this is 101 on how to make a memorable action movie. What's most shocking is I kept thinking this would have been a hit had it came out in 2004 (ya know before comic book movies strived to be more than 'just entertaining'). It would have sat nicely next to Constantine, Blade Trinity.

The soundtrack was obnoxious to the point I thought I was watching VH1 or some variant, it kept taking me out of the movie and seemed forced by the studio. Deadshot and Harley Quinn were easily the most engrossing characters while everyone else just seemed boring and two dimensional (minus Diablo who's backstory came far too late), was happy to see Harley not being overally sexual in character but rather badass.

The Joker seemed a cardboard cutout minus his disturbing sexual behavior (which felt like any douchebag newage motivational speaker who thinks strangling a girl will get you laid) and he overshadowed the main villain which is a big problem.

All in all I didn't hate it, it was entertaining enough but I wouldn't see it again unless it was a radically different edit. 6/10

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:04 am 

Just wait for the DVD. It fixed Dawn of Justice well enough, at least.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:38 am 

^Yeah I dunno, Ayer went on record saying it's the final version and he won't be changing it.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:42 am 

I think WB hired the firm that created their second international trailer (with the Queen song) to create a second edit of the film that was lighter and funnier, after critics lambasted BvS for being too dark. There's reports about this out there, look em up. I feel like that's exactly what happened and Ayer is just towing the line to keep WB happy. I hope they release a director's cut with his vision.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:48 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Some people totally despise this movie, which I didn't. Maybe they hold the original in higher regard than I do, and were never going to like a remake anyway.

I've found more people despise the idea of it being remade than hold the original in high regard. The original's a fun, breezy little slice of 90s cheese, but nothing iconic or life changing. The remake just felt like such a tired idea and was more a "this is dumb" reaction than legitimate malice. It wasn't a remake of a classic, but a remake of a movie that didn't have the kind of name recognition to draw people in.

It's like the reverse of what Statham's The Mechanic was vs. Bronson's original. Few people even knew it was a remake and just wanted to see Statham do the Statham thing. Point Break was just something you'd catch on a Saturday afternoon flipping through the channels and might linger on for a bit.

darkeningday wrote:

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:18 pm 

I just found out the great Gene Wilder passed away at 83. Tonight I'll probably be watching Willy Wonka and/or Blazing Saddles in his memory. R.I.P. :(

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:55 pm 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
I just found out the great Gene Wilder passed away at 83. Tonight I'll probably be watching Willy Wonka and/or Blazing Saddles in his memory. R.I.P. :(
Honestly I didn't know he was still alive. But hey 83 ain't a bad run. I'll be watching See No Evil Hear No Evil - Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder on their comedic A game :thumbsup:

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:02 pm 

^Hell yeah, hilarious film! I still haven't gotten around to buying it though.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:11 am 

I'm going to an advanced screening of Rob Zombie's 31 tonight. Since the plot is basically Professor Genki's Super Ethical Reality Climax and RICHARD BRAKE is one of the main villains, I'm expecting chaotic fun but not a good movie.

darkeningday wrote:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:19 pm 

Sheri Moon Zombie's the lead again. At this point, anything with her is poison to me, which unfortunately means anything Rob Zombie puts out further.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:39 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Sheri Moon Zombie's the lead again. At this point, anything with her is poison to me, which unfortunately means anything Rob Zombie puts out further.

Na, I thought she was decent in Lords of Salem, and Devil's Rejects and Halloween were both fantastic movies (not sure why everyone hates on Zombie's Halloween, yeah it was totally unnecessary but I really enjoyed it)

Watched today:

Snowtown (2011): Lacklustre Australian indie flick about John Bunting which is potentially okay given the budget and the surprisingly decent acting, but lacking in excitement, pacing and plot. Of note: the brutal (and I mean brutal) torture scene featuring strangulation and toenail removal (eek) and the frankly terrifying amount of sexual assaults which seem to be there for shock value. 4/10

Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)
Lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololo...
1.5/10

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:42 pm 

Thinking Sheri Moon Zombie is the problem and not Rob himself just seems strange to me.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:46 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
I'm going to an advanced screening of Rob Zombie's 31 tonight. Since the plot is basically Professor Genki's Super Ethical Reality Climax and RICHARD BRAKE is one of the main villains, I'm expecting chaotic fun but not a good movie.

Just got back from this. I've never been so wrong.

This was 90 minutes of Rob jerking off to pictures of his wife. Oddly enough, it works if the intention was career suicide by spitefully mocking his critics, and in a somewhat meta sense as the third act is alarmingly good. There's a few great shots and uses of lighting, Richard Brake was fantastic as Doom Head, and some of the gore was legitimately unnerving in its intensity and the way it's set up (there's a very brutal stabbing where a switchblade is actually wiggled inside the victim)...but holy fucking shit it was garbage everywhere else.

2.5/10, all because of that third act.

darkeningday wrote:

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:51 pm 

I haven't really been watching too many movies lately, but I did take the time to watch Sharknado 4.

It was exactly what I expected it to be; chalk full of tons of shitty cameos, hilariously cringe-worthy dialogue, and far too many CGI sharks. And if regular sharknados aren't enough for you, you can look forward to boulder, oil, and even nuke nados! It's complete and total garbage as a film, but I love schlock in my movies, and it more than delivered.

7/10 - I'd watch it again (with alcohol)

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:45 pm 

MammothRider wrote:
I haven't really been watching too many movies lately, but I did take the time to watch Sharknado 4.

It was exactly what I expected it to be; chalk full of tons of shitty cameos, hilariously cringe-worthy dialogue, and far too many CGI sharks. And if regular sharknados aren't enough for you, you can look forward to boulder, oil, and even nuke nados! It's complete and total garbage as a film, but I love schlock in my movies, and it more than delivered.

7/10 - I'd watch it again (with alcohol)

Totally, the [insert item here]-nado parts were hilarious. But I still think that the first one stands up as a film which isn't retarded. :oh shit:

Watched today - Stitches (2012)
Great cheesy black comedy/horror. Could've done with more horror but the kills were entertaining at least, though the effects didn't look anywhere near realistic. The last act had me in stitches, man. Hoping for a sequel. 8/10

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:17 am 

Recs for someone who is completely jaded by mainstream Hollywood tripe? Basically looking for edgy, hipster, art-house stuff. Thanks in advance.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:29 am 

IamDBR wrote:
Recs for someone who is completely jaded by mainstream Hollywood tripe? Basically looking for edgy, hipster, art-house stuff. Thanks in advance.

Dogville, Pusher (1996) and Under the Skin.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:35 am 

I would have thought that edgy, hipster films are a kind of Hollywood trademark these days more than anything else. I always turn to some Cassavetes as an antidote to modern Hollywood hipsterism, so you could go watch Love Streams or A Woman Under the Influence.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:24 am 

IamDBR wrote:
Essential Killing. Sight Seers. Cache. Benny's Video. Gerry. Jindabyne. Solaris (1972). Eraserhead. Dogtooth. Made in Britain. Bliss (1985). Bad Boy Bubby.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:12 am 

Trash Humpers
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:31 am 

I saw several movies the last few days:

Don't Think Twice - Really excellent drama/comedy about a bunch of 30-somethings in an improve troupe at a crossroads in their lives: their theater house is closing down, but one of their group just got accepted to a SNL-style comedy sketch show on TV. Mike Birbiglia obviously made this as a work of passion and it shows. The characters are excellently written and acted, and they all seem like real people rather than written characters. Its message can kind of apply to anyone who does art - sometimes the art you create on a small stage for a couple dozen people is just as good, if not more valuable, than big mainstream art.

Don't Breathe - This started off kind of lame and plodding, without much to really hook you in. It's a story about a bunch of thieves breaking into the house of an old blind war vet to steal from him. It takes a complete heel-turn in its second and third acts, though, and actually becomes pretty cool with all the insane twists and turns it starts taking. I never expected it to go the way it does, and it becomes both thrilling and horrifying in a weird way. Not a great film, as it starts weak and maybe goes on a bit long at the end, but it was surprising and fun.

Good Night and Good Luck - Very important film especially now, with its tale of McCarthyism and how journalist Ed Murrow stood up to him in the early 50s. The parallels to today's situation with Trump are obvious to see now, and how it talks about TV and the state of news ("they only want entertainment") is very poignant. Brilliant performances and sharp, pointed filmmaking. Classy film.

Hell or High Water - This is one of the best movies of the year. Great western crime flick. Soaked in Texan atmosphere and filled with well written drama and comedy. I like that it gives you equal screentime for both the two brothers' bank robbery plans and Jeff Bridges as an old police officer - they're all given a lot of depth. Pretty much everything about this was excellent.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:57 am 

IamDBR wrote:

Kin-dza-dza (that's where my sig comes from :3)

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:29 am 

I finally got around to seeing Batman v. Superman last night. It was a good movie, but not some kind of misunderstood masterpiece like some people have been hyping *cough*4chan*cough*. I felt the movie was kind of like Deadpool in that it subverted the common elements of a lot of the recent superhero movies Marvel has been putting out. In this case, the movie sidestepped the constantly-lighthearted, quippy, and "safe" feel of the typical superhero film for a more grim, angsty affair. However, the film was still a superhero movie with massive fights and legit superpowers, unlike Nolan's Batman trilogy, which was grim in a more realistic, gritty way.

Additional note: I saw it in the original theatrical cut, but reading about the changes in the extended edition, it doesn't seem like they really contributed that much to the movie tbh.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:29 am 

Wow, thanks for all the recs guys. Looks like I have plenty of stuff (and possibly shit) to sift through.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:10 pm 

I really feel sorry for Jared Leto in Suicide Squad. He's a fantastic actor but found himself playing a fucking emo in a movie that had all the artistic value of a bad porno. Naturally all the whiny little emo kids at my school were utterly enamoured with the whole thing.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 610, 611, 612, 613, 614, 615, 616 ... 818  Next