Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:02 pm 

Well, get a program that can handle subtitles and will stream your stuff intelligently, like PS3 Media Server (yes, despite the name it does generally work with the 360).

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:26 pm 

Looks quite nice, thanks! It all streams seamlessly? Is there a way to not always keep your computer on?

Do you know if you can mess with the audio channels? Ie. if I get a vcd rip I need to mute the left or right channel depending on which language I want to see the film.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:39 am 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
It all streams seamlessly?

Well, generally. It does depend on the speed of your network, and of your CPU if you're transcoding (say, if the video is in a format that the console can't handle natively - I'm not sure if subtitles always require transcoding). There are multiple options you can adjust in case of poor performance.

Quote:
Is there a way to not always keep your computer on?

Um no, it streams the media directly from your computer so it does need to be on when you're watching something.

Quote:
Do you know if you can mess with the audio channels? Ie. if I get a vcd rip I need to mute the left or right channel depending on which language I want to see the film.

Hmm, not sure... I didn't see anything about that from a quick look at the options.

TVersity is another similar program if you have trouble with PS3 Media Server, though I think PMS has more options. I think Tony said he uses a different one too, but I forgot the name...?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:44 am 

I'm using Mediatomb but I think it doesn't work on Windows. It does the job for me, I'm only copying files from my computer on my PS3. I never really explored the options for subtitles though.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:05 am 

So much Léon love on this page. Probably my all-time favourite movie. I think I might have to like darkeningday now... :oh shit:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:35 am 

Today I watched Dead Man directed by Jim Jarmusch. Like each of Jarmusch's films I've seen so far I loved the cinematography the most, especially
Spoiler: show
when towards the end when Nobody brings William Blake to the Indian village to prepare for his funeral.
. Jarmusch also has a knack for picking actors perfect for their roles- Johnny Depp's performance was unexpectedly very dark, and very untypical of his drunken Mick Jagger routine. Gary Farmer as the quirky, Native American philosopher Nobody was quite enjoyable as well.

9/10

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:57 am 

Yep, really cool to see all the Dead Man and Léon love. Y'all are alright.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:45 am 

iAm wrote:
Today I watched Dead Man directed by Jim Jarmusch. Like each of Jarmusch's films I've seen so far I loved the cinematography the most, especially
when towards the end when Nobody brings William Blake to the Indian village to prepare for his funeral.

Yes, that was definitely one of the highlights of the film, especially considering they did a lot of research and spent a lot of money getting that village looking just right. Apparently that's where most of the film's $9 million budget went - costumes and set design. And I can believe it.

Speaking of Jarmusch, after re-watching Dead Man I watched Ghost Dog for the first time, and it actually turned out really awesome despite the weird premise and title. Basically Forest Whitaker plays Ghost Dog, an extremely skilled lone wolf hitman in an unnamed US city. Ghost Dog rigorously follows the medieval samurai code, and views an aging member of the mafia as his "liege" due to the guy saving Ghost Dog's life when he was much younger. Unfortunately, early on Ghost Dog botches a hit due to not being given correct information, and his liege's mafia superiors decide that Ghost Dog needs to go - and Ghost Dog naturally fights back.

What sounds like an unusual but not outlandish setup ends up playing out very strangely, with the characters spending a lot of time quoting books and talking about them. Lots and lots of Jim Jarmusch's weird humor is on display as well; for example, the stern mafia bosses display an intense interest in children's cartoons, the clips of cartoon violence often presaging actual violence that happens soon thereafter.

There are a lot of themes swirling around ways of life dying out, from Ghost Dog's decision to become the vessel of a dead culture to the old school Italian mafia being pushed out by younger, more vital gang cultures. It's a weird film, but I enjoyed every second of it, just as with Dead Man. Interestingly enough, Gary Farmer makes a cameo, and though his character is never named in the movie, the script calls him "Nobody".

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:28 pm 

Truth or Die-A group of friends arriving to a cabin in the woods for a party learn they were duped by the host to determine the cause of his brother's suicide he suspects them to be involved in and ruthlessly tortures them to accomplish that. An absolutely appalling and utterly worthless thriller disguised as a horror film by deciding to take on the torture film route so there's just an eternity that goes on before anything even happens to the group as we're with them for a party that serves as the initial cause of the whole accident as well as the journey to get to the house for the party. It's almost impossible to care about this section of the film due to this lack of activity before we find out that those we're supposed to be rooting for are utter snobs and aren't that appealing to be around, as the film's sheer British-ness comes into focus quite early and really takes a lot out of this one. Coupled with plenty of lame tortures built around the titular children's party game and misguided, utterly contrived logic for the rampage can't overcome the decidedly decent amount of gore present, which is about the only good part here beyond the finale where the tables get turned quite nicely. Overall, though, this is one to avoid.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:10 pm 

I played a bit with PS3 media server and subtitling do need transcoding. Seems like I have to choose from every possible option (this subtitle track with this language track for this player) so it's a bit messy, but it does work relatively well. But I can only fast-forward or rewind with certain options. Seems like a pretty viable option so far, being able to play mkvs is pretty nice too. I also heard about a program that enables you to turn soft subs into hard ones, so I'd be able to directly watch my movies from a usb key. And for the channel volumes, well, I completely forgot that there are programs that can do that to a video file and I think Audacity is one. Anyway, thanks for the info, I'm heading somewhere.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:46 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Speaking of Jarmusch, after re-watching Dead Man I watched Ghost Dog for the first time, and it actually turned out really awesome despite the weird premise and title. Basically Forest Whitaker plays Ghost Dog, an extremely skilled lone wolf hitman in an unnamed US city. Ghost Dog rigorously follows the medieval samurai code, and views an aging member of the mafia as his "liege" due to the guy saving Ghost Dog's life when he was much younger. Unfortunately, early on Ghost Dog botches a hit due to not being given correct information, and his liege's mafia superiors decide that Ghost Dog needs to go - and Ghost Dog naturally fights back.

What sounds like an unusual but not outlandish setup ends up playing out very strangely, with the characters spending a lot of time quoting books and talking about them. Lots and lots of Jim Jarmusch's weird humor is on display as well; for example, the stern mafia bosses display an intense interest in children's cartoons, the clips of cartoon violence often presaging actual violence that happens soon thereafter.

There are a lot of themes swirling around ways of life dying out, from Ghost Dog's decision to become the vessel of a dead culture to the old school Italian mafia being pushed out by younger, more vital gang cultures. It's a weird film, but I enjoyed every second of it, just as with Dead Man. Interestingly enough, Gary Farmer makes a cameo, and though his character is never named in the movie, the script calls him "Nobody".

Well said. I absolutely love 'Ghost Dog' - one of my favourite films of all-time, and my second favourite Jarmusch (after 'Dead Man'; I'm glad to see it appreciated so here, it's a film that's close to my heart - everything about is just beyond words). It's s an incredibly poetic, startling movie, the kind that makes your breath hitch and your hands fall still to your side as you stop whatever you were doing and just take in what is happening in front of you. Truly stunning, and one of the few films whose ending
makes me cry every single time I watch it

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:18 pm 

Dogville: This was a piece of shit. No way around it. Sorry darkeningday, but it was actually impossible to sit through. I had to watch it over the course of two days. It thinks it's so clever and unique, but it makes it's point early on and then just proceeds to repeat it over and over again. Nicole Kidman's character makes no sense, and the whole shitty looking sets concept is stupid in a way I've never witnessed before. We get it Lars, you think human beings are inherently cruel and really enjoy showing it as much as you can, but like the crazy homeless man on his soapbox, you express it horribly and no one cares. Also, the narration is god damn annoying. Hurrr the main character is named Grace and she exemplifies grace, so ARTISTIC. His obvious criticism of America and his thought that it should annihilated is the most on the nose thing ever. I could say the same about all the bible allusions. He had a good idea with his exploration of the difference in outlook from the old testament to the new testament but, of course, he didn't remotely pull it off or make it compelling in any way. Kidman, who is usually pretty good, is given a single thing to do for the entire movie. After an hour, the boredom is mind numbing. After two, you wonder how it could possibly not be over yet. When it turned into three, I was fucking annoyed. How can this possibly be anyone's favourite movie escapes me. How any sane human being could watch it more than once does as well. Sweet Jesus, this was the nadir of filmmaking.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:11 pm 

I'm... speechless.

Not terribly familiar with Dogme filmmaking and why it exists and what it represents? Not terribly familiar with Our Town and how that iconic play epitomizes American neocolonialism and its impact on the rest of the world? Not terribly familiar with the Zimbardo Prison Experiment or the Milgram device and how Von Trier took these iconic studies and cast them into new symbolic and literal lights?

This isn't even scratching the surface; there's just so, so, so much going on (from what the glass figurines represent, to how the dog is the sole creature in the entire town who showed her truly selfless kindness, to why the other lead character's name is "Tom Edison Jr." to so so so so fucking much more I've written tens if not hundreds of pages on) that just calling it obvious and soapboxing is... really rather discouraging. And this:

Necroticism174 wrote:
We get it Lars, you think human beings are inherently cruel and really enjoy showing it as much as you can

...is just... ugh... No. That has nearly nothing to do with 'what he's saying.'

You'd best stop watching Von Trier movies. You'll never enjoy them.

And P.S. Do you not enjoy plays?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:23 pm 

darkeningday wrote:

This isn't even scratching the surface; there's just so, so, so much going on (from what the glass figurines represent, to how the dog is the sole creature in the entire town who showed her truly selfless kindness, to why the other lead character's name is "Tom Edison Jr." to so so so so fucking much more I've written tens if not hundreds of pages on) that just calling it obvious and soapboxing is... really rather discouraging. And this:

And P.S. Do you not enjoy plays?

Most pretentious post I've ever seen aside, yes. All of those things were incredibly obvious. I haven't seen enough plays to profess enjoyment, but the one's I've seen have been better than this turd. As for Dogme film making, that's all fine and dandy. Is one of the rules in there to not make your movie remotely enjoyable and/or entertaining? You can throw as much symbolism and references as you want at me, but if your movie is unwatchable, tough titty. In fact, I challenge anybody else on this board to attempt to sit through it. As for Von Trier, I rather enjoyed Antichrist, but if the rest of his movie's are insanely pretentious drivel such as this, I'm not missing much.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:57 pm 

Leon the Professional is great. My only real caveat with it is just Gary Oldman in general - the guy has done some great stuff, but I remember thinking his character was a bit one dimensional for such an otherwise full, wholesome movie. Kinda annoying performance too, just like in The Fifth Element. But otherwise Leon was a killer film. Might have to see it again sometime.

Blue Velvet - 4/5

Having only seen the newer David Lynch films, I thought it was time to finally see some of his back catalog. This is pretty good. Not near as idiosyncratic as Mulholland Dr., for example, but still solid enough. The performances are weird but endearing in their way, evoking a sort of idyllic 1950s style charisma that Lynch seems to always like using, and the way the plot unfolds is just great - great pacing. What's going on isn't always that action packed, and the story tends to be kinda one dimensional, but for a straight-ahead story as it is, Lynch goes for the throat and makes everything seem so much more dire and mysterious. The subtlety is mostly in Isabella Rosselini's performance, and the implications of her character and situation. Some of the scenes are legitimately disturbing, and in these scenes contrasted with the rest of the movie, a deep impact that will stay with you much longer than anything else in the film. So for that Blue Velvet is set apart. I didn't love it, but it was powerful and memorable.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:55 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Most pretentious post I've ever seen aside, yes. All of those things were incredibly obvious. I haven't seen enough plays to profess enjoyment, but the one's I've seen have been better than this turd. As for Dogme film making, that's all fine and dandy. Is one of the rules in there to not make your movie remotely enjoyable and/or entertaining? You can throw as much symbolism and references as you want at me, but if your movie is unwatchable, tough titty. In fact, I challenge anybody else on this board to attempt to sit through it. As for Von Trier, I rather enjoyed Antichrist, but if the rest of his movie's are insanely pretentious drivel such as this, I'm not missing much.

If you're still holding firm to your quote, "human beings are inherently cruel and [Von Trier] really enjoy[s] showing it," then no, you did not understand Dogville. It's also clear you have no fucking idea what Our Town is and what it means to people in this country and those not.

Also, saying true things about a movie you thought was pretentious does not mean that those true things are themselves pretentious. As to other forum goers watching it here: I'm pretty sure Abom really likes it and I know at least a few others do as well. And while not to directly appeal to popularity and authority here, Dogville carries a 7.9 with nearly 80,000 votes on IMDB and nearly won the Palme d'Or at Cannes... so maybe, just maybe, your analysis was a little more knee jerk (based far more on your dislike of the filming style than the actual substance), than you claim it was.

EDIT: And I'm definitely no Von Trier fanboy. I found Antichrist intolerably twee and boring as fuck, and Melancholia might have been even worse if it didn't have such a great ending.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:16 pm 

I think The Celebration is still my favorite Dogme film, and one of my favorite films in general. So great.
Dogville is good, even though it's been ages upon ages since I saw a production of Our Town (and the ones I have seen were probably terrible, it's safe to say), so those parallels were pretty lost on me. Still enjoyed it, anyway, as a piece drawing directly from various theatrical precedents and placing a new story within those. I seem to remember Manderlay was pretty cool as well. Oh did I say cool, I meant pretentious as fuck.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:30 pm 

I seem to recall Harmony Korine's entry in Dogme 95 as really interesting if not exactly good (making it easily his best film overall, because, fuck that dude), and worth a gander if you're in that sort of mood (it's mostly just worth it to watch Werner Herzog chugging cough syrup through a dirty sandal, heh). I really liked The Celebration too, but I think Italian for Beginners was my favorite... although I honestly can't remember why.

I found Manderlay inferior to Dogville--it lacked the sort of singular, unified vision that made Dogville such an unequivocal masterpiece--but I actually still really liked it overall and was surprised how well it managed to stave off any trace of sequelitis (you could level a fair amount of reasonable criticisms against it, but re-hash would not be among them.) I do see why all of my black film friends walked out by the halfway point, though :lol: . I think when taken as a whole, it wasn't racist, but in fragments...

Last edited by darkeningday on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:44 pm 

Hahaha, what substance? Anyways, that's cool and all, maybe you can list a few other "totally not pretentious" movies you really like so I can know what to avoid. :p

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:08 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Hahaha, what substance?

It's kinda weird you want me to watch Leon now, because that movie was all style, almost no substance. Although what style it had was pretty fantastic.

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:33 pm 

Dangerous Encounters: 1st Kind - Theatrical version (Don't Play with Fire)

Man... Dangerous Encounters is a movie that really left a mark on me. You follow a group of rich kids who have nothing to do and do see much of a future, and play the amateur terrorists only to end up with a sadistic girl who by mistake draw them into the real deal. The escalation of the film's intensity is remarkable, it really follows a steady slope of intensity that our young characters are drawn into and it explodes at the end. And with the great score stolen from Goblin, Jean-Michel Jarre, Alan Parsons Project and some obscure German electro artist (welcome to 1980 Hong Kong and a young and pissed-off director) there is really a special mood in the film, almost nihilistic. It's for sure unforgiving. This is only his third film but I think it really is Tsui Hark's masterpiece despite all the bigger productions he made. His first two films were total bombs (despite being good, particularly his first, ''The Butterfly Murders'') and it really pissed him off, people saw him as this reckless director who couldn't do much, so he did what he wanted to do here with all his anger and it shows.

Unfortunately the censors didn't like certain aspects of the film, so Tsui Hard had to cut several chunks of the film and reshoot others, basically taking out the amateur terrorists part and replacing it by this lame drunk driving incident and a totally useless police investigation bit to make the film longer. And this is what was released in theatres. Very fortunately some technician copied the cut scenes on a VHS tape, because as was frequent in Hong Kong back then was trashing anything that could be collecting dust. So the original version, the first version I saw, could be released not that long ago. So that's why I decided to watch this theatrical cut to see how it compared to the original.

And it doesn't compare. Like I said, shitty, useless scenes are inserted, important parts removed and a much less interesting and believable trigger event. And it really screws the flow of the film, which was really important initially. It really isn't as satisfying as the original version. I'm more than thankful to be able to see the real film with some VHS quality bits... It could be better but it's a lot better than only having that shitty theatrical version. Well, shitty in comparison.

haohmaruofthewind
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:55 pm 

The last movie I got was a nightmare on elm street 1984

Now I'm gonna purchase get thrashed on youtube.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:04 pm 

I watched Spring Breakers yesterday and I still don't really know how I feel about it. Mainly due to the camera work and use of dreamy music, the movie did have a strange, hazy quality to it that went well with the generally bright, neon look most of the movie had. Those simple aesthetic elements were enjoyable enough, though not enough on their own to carry the whole thing. Though the movie is supposed to be simple albeit with a deep personal connection and even jarring violence (sort of similar to Drive) that's seemingly meant to elevate it beyond what it is, I still felt that the sex and nudity in the movie was so heavily one-sided that it seemed clear to me that it was also a vehicle for dudes to oggle chicks (both in theaters and on the set), in very large part. Of the four female leads, none was really well developed at all and only one I'd even really call a character; the others were more like nonsensical plot devices and eye candy. James Franco was actually strangely convincing as a successful but entirely lame rapper/drug lord.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:14 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Dogville: This was a piece of shit. No way around it. Sorry darkeningday, but it was actually impossible to sit through. I had to watch it over the course of two days. It thinks it's so clever and unique, but it makes it's point early on and then just proceeds to repeat it over and over again. Nicole Kidman's character makes no sense, and the whole shitty looking sets concept is stupid in a way I've never witnessed before. We get it Lars, you think human beings are inherently cruel and really enjoy showing it as much as you can, but like the crazy homeless man on his soapbox, you express it horribly and no one cares. Also, the narration is god damn annoying. Hurrr the main character is named Grace and she exemplifies grace, so ARTISTIC. His obvious criticism of America and his thought that it should annihilated is the most on the nose thing ever. I could say the same about all the bible allusions. He had a good idea with his exploration of the difference in outlook from the old testament to the new testament but, of course, he didn't remotely pull it off or make it compelling in any way. Kidman, who is usually pretty good, is given a single thing to do for the entire movie. After an hour, the boredom is mind numbing. After two, you wonder how it could possibly not be over yet. When it turned into three, I was fucking annoyed. How can this possibly be anyone's favourite movie escapes me. How any sane human being could watch it more than once does as well. Sweet Jesus, this was the nadir of filmmaking.

Two of my friends had to watch that movie for some political theory class (I have no clue why), so I decided I would sit down and watch it with them. I think I almost lasted 45 minutes before I was unable to bear it anymore. The whole "lets do the whole movie on a stage so we can be really artsy and pretentious" drove me threw the wall. The complete lack of an interesting setting and the whole awkwardness of the town made his entire point moot in my opinion. If you want to make a movie commenting on human nature, you have to make it relatable. How are you going to convey your opinion to your viewers in that sort of setting? It was just so strange that I don't see how anyone can view that movie in any high regard whatsoever.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:33 am 

ObservationSlave wrote:
If you want to make a movie commenting on human nature, you have to make it relatable.

You really don't.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:52 am 

Aye, I definitely concede that Leon is style over substance. But still, dat style.
As for Spring Breakers, it was a fun movie. Zero rewatchibility (and in fact almost zero plot and characters) but it was a nice hazy hour and a half with eye candy galore. Not the pinnacle of filmmaking by far, but pretty chill for what it is.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:25 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
This isn't even scratching the surface; there's just so, so, so much going on (from what the glass figurines represent, to how the dog is the sole creature in the entire town who showed her truly selfless kindness, to why the other lead character's name is "Tom Edison Jr." to so so so so fucking much more I've written tens if not hundreds of pages on) that just calling it obvious and soapboxing is... really rather discouraging. And this:And P.S. Do you not enjoy plays?

I agree with Necro. I caught 20 or so minutes of it on cable back in 2004 and was I just confused and bored. :???: o_O And not in a perplexed way but to where the story was and why this would be appealing to anyone. Wasn't paying that much attention but what I saw was dull and pretentious. Not to be harsh but it's one of those films I can happily die without seeing, like Northfork which I regretfully watched in it's entirety.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:00 pm 

Glad to see others found Dogville as entirely unwatchable as I did, I couldn't remember whether I'd seen it or not when darkeningday mentioned it earlier (when I said The Paperboy was garbage) but the mention of the whole "stage thing" brought it back. I'll echo Necro's sentiment in that symbolism etc. is great but within a film as utterly boring as Dogville it's like putting lipstick on a pig.

Also, darkeningday's response was pretty much the ultimate "you just don't get it" post of all time.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:53 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
it makes it's point early on and then just proceeds to repeat it over and over again... We get it Lars, you think human beings are inherently cruel and really enjoy showing it as much as you can... He had a good idea with his exploration of the difference in outlook from the old testament to the new testament... Kidman is[n't] given a single thing to do for the entire movie.

ObservationSlave wrote:
The whole "lets do the whole movie on a stage so we can be really artsy and pretentious"... If you want to make a movie commenting on human nature, you have to make it relatable.

Each of these points is either factually wrong or a blatant misunderstanding of what the movie was actually about, so:
dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
darkeningday's response was pretty much the ultimate "you just don't get it" post of all time.

This is correct.

Also, this:
ObservationSlave wrote:
Two of my friends had to watch that movie for some political theory class (I have no clue why)

made me :durr: pretty hard. Dude, the whole movie is a political ethics allegory (or, rather, an allegory on how rashly and indiscriminately introducing doe-eyed egalitarianism to a community who isn't ready for it can destroy the community from inside out, and how the ensuing and inevitable "cultural contamination" fallout must be resolved). You can read a short essay on this here and while it isn't exactly great it does provide a nice outline (although I disagree strongly with a few of his later points) of this fairly transparent characteristic. Even though you clocked out woefully early, you still should have picked up on the heavy political overtones from the very first scene; it's about a goddamn MICROCOSM, after all. When has a microcosm in a book/movie/tv/play ever NOT been, at least in part, a political allegory?

EDIT: Oh man, missed this:
failsafeman wrote:
ObservationSlave wrote:
If you want to make a movie commenting on human nature, you have to make it relatable.

You really don't.

:nods:

Dogville is probably the best execution of The Distancing Effect I've ever seen, although the experimental films of Kenneth Anger and a few of Fassbinder's weirder films are really damn close (disclaimer: I've never seen or even read any Brecht, though :oh shit: ). All the jump cuts, weird angles, strange lighting etc are extremely deliberate with very specific reasons for each and have nothing to do with incompetence or clumsiness (I realize no one here specifically said that, but it was certainly implied) in the slightest--quite the opposite, really. Von Trier can make beautiful movies--his sophomore effort "The Element of Crime" is possibly the most gorgeous films of the 1980's--so rather than just going "oh man, Dogville sure looks like shit!" try asking yourself why it looks like "shit", why Hollywood films looks so glossy and sanitized and in the end, which format will provide you with a better ability to engage the film on an intellectual level.

haohmaruofthewind
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:23 pm 

I'm gonna watch wolverine with my dad. Next month. Maybe by myself.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:23 pm 

So I saw White House Down. It was pretty alright. Better than I expected considering Jamie Foxx is in it. This is probably his best role. Not because his character has any depth or anything, it's just funny. At the start, he's all presidential and white sounding. Then shit hits the fan, he puts on his sneakers, and becomes ultra black. Saying stuff like ''I ain't doin' that shit'' when Channing Tatum jumps an elevator shaft. Constant one-liners, decent action (but nothing mindblowing), and a pretty predictable story made this a quite watchable popcorn movie. I mean, it's basically comedy/action and that describes the entire thing. If you have to pick between watching two white house attack movies though, go with Olympus Has Fallen. The buddies I went with preferred this one, on the other hand. For what that's worth.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:26 pm 

Channing Tatum is a delightful man. I used to make fun of him all of the time, but then Magic Mike and 21 JUmp Street came out and now he's just pure charm to me.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:30 pm 

I might have to see that. I didn't mind Tatum in The Eagle (movie was blah but he was ok) and I've (selectively) seen good movies from Foxx. Dumb action sounds like my thing today.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:38 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Channing Tatum is a delightful man.

He really is.

Has anyone here ever seen A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints? That was the first Channing Tatum film I ever saw and I thought he was respectable in it. Great film too; reminded me a lot of early Martin Scorsese.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:21 pm 

Identity Thief - Too much action, too many "let's get sort of serious for a bit" moments, too few laughs.

Kind of a shame, really. I enjoyed Bridesmaids (Melissa McCarthy) and Horrible Bosses (Jason Bateman, same director), but this one just didn't work for me.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:25 am 

darkeningday wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Channing Tatum is a delightful man.

He really is.

Has anyone here ever seen A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints? That was the first Channing Tatum film I ever saw and I thought he was respectable in it. Great film too; reminded me a lot of early Martin Scorsese.

He's also great in those GI Joe movies.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:38 am 

darkeningday wrote:
It's also clear you have no fucking idea what Our Town is and what it means to people in this country and those not.

You might just explain it as straightforwardly as possible.

Personally, I really detested Our Town and thought the ironicist remake (American Beauty) was much better, although much like Salinger, it still reeked of mile-wide-inch-deep blame casting.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:56 am 

Conservationism wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
It's also clear you have no fucking idea what Our Town is and what it means to people in this country and those not.

You might just explain it as straightforwardly as possible.

I did, above it.

Conservationism wrote:
Personally, I really detested Our Town and thought the ironicist remake (American Beauty) was much better, although much like Salinger, it still reeked of mile-wide-inch-deep blame casting.

Meh, I find American Beauty pretty overrated. The entire film rests on a handful of fairly transparent plot twists which are all pelted at the viewer in rapid succession in the last five minutes. I'm perfectly fine with twists (hell, Dogville has a fucking whopper at the end), but using an entire two hour movie as nothing but a prop for a bunch of last minute twists is fucking lame; it'd be better just to relegate something like that to short form. Anyway, I always found it kinda funny that a movie that asks its very audience to "look closer" comes off so trite and shallow on deeper inspection.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a total wash or anything. Outside of the terrible Mena Suvari, the acting is great and the photography was groundbreaking for the time. It's just a shame the script (the bit that gets hailed the most) was so thoroughly uninspired.

Also, it's because of American Beauty that we now have the atrocity that is True Blood :puke:

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:29 pm 

I've had a lot of days off from work these past few weeks- which means I spent a lot of time on Netflix.

"Fubar: Balls to the Wall": This was apparently a sequel to another Fubar movie which I haven't seen. I was curious after reading the brief description on Netflix. It was obviously supposed to be a "metal" comedy, but I didn't know if it would turn out to be comparable to "Wayne's World" being geared toward a more traditional audience or if it would be more of the "cult"-brand like "Spinal Tap". The soundtrack proved the film to be the former. While there were some direct [and admittedly funny] references to Ronnie James Dio, there weren't any memorable songs playing in the background. The production crew probably had minimal knowledge of the "metal" sub-culture and a genuine interest in it. No dragons. No corpse-fucking. No excessive violence. That said, there were more than a couple absolutely hilarious moments that make watching the movie worth it. Save this for the next time you have some alcohol in your system and you'll definitely enjoy it.

"Skatetopia: 88 Acres of Anarchy": It took me awhile to finally give this one a chance. I glanced at it on several different occasions and skipped over it assuming it would only be of interest to people who are involved in the skating scene. Well, I was hooked within minutes. The movie follows a guy who is basically bored of his quiet, rural lifestyle and decides to begin constructing the ideal skate park in his own back yard. Despite his drug use and criminal background, I felt like I had a lot in common with the dude. He explained in one of the beginning monologues how he urges people to do what they enjoy doing for a living rather than forcing themselves to adapt to a work-life that leaves them depressed and burnt-out... I found a lot of inspiration in him after hearing him say that.

After his project starts to gain some momentum, a surprisingly large number of adolescents flee to the remote location to volunteer to help. It's interesting to see how these people can mix their work with their "party lives" and still manage to be productive. It makes you realize that having fun is essential to being successful at achieving your goals. This documentary basically gives you the thumbs-up to fuck off and do whatever you want and I like that.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:27 pm 

The Call of Cthulhu (2005): This is a black and white, filmed in 20's silent film style movie released by the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society. It's actually pretty fucking great, and the best Lovecraft adaptation I've seen so far. Dude is difficult to adapt. The music is actually really amazing, which is a problem I have with silent films sometimes (especially Nosferatu. I haven't heard a single score of that movie that I liked more than a few moments of). The actors are all heavily made up and put on over the top expressions. The feeling of dread permeates every moment. You can tell they had an almost non-existent budget, so going this route was a stroke of genius. R'yleh looks really good, with non-euclidean angles aplenty! Cthulhu himself though...
They used stop-motion to animate him and he looks pretty bad. But at the same time, it's endearing. This is probably what he would have looked like if they DID adapt the story in those years.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 406, 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 412 ... 818  Next