Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:21 am 

I thought you didn't like that one the first time, dd? Did you change your stance on it?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:45 am 

Nope, always loved Hated in the Nation. And that's a really weird sentence to read.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:33 am 

awww shit y'all. for vday the wife preordered the Wishmaster Blu-Ray collection. Between that and the Phantasm collection I preordered, shit's gonna get real in March.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:22 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
awww shit y'all. for vday the wife preordered the Wishmaster Blu-Ray collection. Between that and the Phantasm collection I preordered, shit's gonna get real in March.

Yeah I'm looking forward to those too. I've never seen the 3rd and 4th Wishmaster movies, mostly because I heard they royally suck. But even still we'll finally be seeing the hugely entertaining first two in hi-def and I can finally put my ancient Artisan flip disc dvd of the first two to rest.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:56 pm 

Looks like John Wick 2 will be released in cinemas in NZ/Aus in April... better late than never I suppose.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:59 pm 

"THIS IS BAD GUISE" category. This could be said about pretty much any social/political satire. American Psycho is "THIS IS BAD GUISE".. Nightcrawler is "THIS IS BAD GUISE".

Black Mirror is saying what if society proceeded down this or that path, what would be the utmost peak of that reality? It's not saying reality now is this or that episode. Hated in the Nation wasn't my cup of rum because it had a few leaps in logic and far fetched moments for a thrilling edge but eh, one bad egg doesn't make a series of bad eggs.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:06 am 

chaossphere wrote:
Looks like John Wick 2 will be released in cinemas in NZ/Aus in April... better late than never I suppose.
Really?? There's still no update on hoyts or village websites. :???:

Edit: Nevermind, found the link: https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/02/john ... ease-date/

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:18 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
"THIS IS BAD GUISE" category. This could be said about pretty much any social/political satire. American Psycho is "THIS IS BAD GUISE".. Nightcrawler is "THIS IS BAD GUISE".

Black Mirror is saying what if society proceeded down this or that path, what would be the utmost peak of that reality? It's not saying reality now is this or that episode. Hated in the Nation wasn't my cup of rum because it had a few leaps in logic and far fetched moments for a thrilling edge but eh, one bad egg doesn't make a series of bad eggs.

This is actually how I see it, yeah. Social satires that are nuanced in ways beyond that and have a lot of really complex grey-areas are very rare in my experience. And there's nothing wrong with being un-subtle if you still write it well - the two are not mutually exclusive. There are other factors I think... like the quality of what is being said, the execution, etc.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:15 pm 

It's when social/political satire gets preachy that it becomes problematic. I found certain episodes of Black Mirror to be total shit for that reason, whereas American Psycho and Nightcrawler didn't come across that way. Those movies were much more character-focused (as were the best episodes of Black Mirror), and showed very nuanced takes on why things that seem obviously bad and stupid (vapid 80s rich kid culture, overly-sensationalized news coverage), actually derive from reasonable circumstances which have gotten progressively out of control to the point that even right-minded participants are unable to escape their influence.

Because that's how the real world works. Everyone agrees war is bad, crime is bad, being an asshole is bad, but we still have war and crime and assholes, because the way society is set up we can't escape it. If a movie came along and its entire point was how dumb and pointless war is without going into why that might be or what might be done, it would come across as juvenile and preachy because everyone already knows war is bad and we don't need a movie to tell us that.

Need4Power
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:50 pm 

I just watched Con-Air for the first time in many years. All I can say is that I derived an unmeasurable amount of fun and joy from it, and I would easily rate it as 100%. I don't know why, but for whatever reason that movie is just extraordinary. In fact, I don't remember the last time I had this much fun from watching a movie. It was better than sex.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:37 am 

The Void looks super awesome

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:11 pm 

Con-Air is the Commando of the '90s. It embodies every major trope of Generation X's action cinema - the "guy next door" hero that's surprisingly wholesome, a brilliant evil genius played by a credible actor, over-the-top plots that still feel grounded and more realistic - and does so with a perfect blend of mockery and sincerity. It's not a good movie, per se, but it's not a bad movie, either: it's a supremely fun movie.

Ah shit, The Void looks fantastic.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:32 pm 

Between The Void and Get Out this is looking like a great year for horror. As I've said, I think we're in a new really great time for this genre. Lots of creativity.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:59 pm 

Haven't seen enough new great horror movies to warrant that assertion from me, I do however like the synth revitalization that has emerged with new horror, and aesthetically we've been getting more grounded, scenic and atmospheric shots with minimal editing à la the greats like Kubrick and Carpenter. Building mood has become a fantastic trait of new horror. I enjoyed 80% of The Conjuring 2, there was potential there, the ending felt rushed and very standard however. I thought Hush was a step in the right direction - old formula executed in a suspenseful/more modern manner, I've yet to see Don't Breathe but I hope that also continues that back-to-basics approach without the stigma climatic TWISTS and REVEALS had throughout the late 90's and 00's.

Practical effect wise I'm impressed with The Void however I'm not hyped considering it has the writer/director team who worked on (Pacific Rim and Crimson Peak but also) "Suicide Squad" and "Total Recall (remake)".

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:02 pm 

I've loved about 2-3 new horror movies every year for several years now. I think there's a ton of potential in the genre and I like what these new voices are bringing to the table. I want more character-driven stuff that actually has a message to it or a point like the old classics did - except with the new modern hipster-ish kind of direction some of them have. Exactly up my alley - loving it.

If you don't want big twists and reveals, Don't Breathe is literally the exact opposite of what you'll like. :lol:

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:58 pm 

I've watched a few movies lately, when I'm not marathoning on StarCraft 2 and related YT videos, or sleeping.

Blue Ruin - After hearing good things about this and having enjoyed Green Room a decent amount, I finally gave this a watch. The story concerns a guy whose parents were murdered, and has been living in his car, hiding out, ever since. He receives word that his parents' killer has just been released from prison, so the main character returns home on a quest for vengeance. This movie starts out rather messily, with little narrative drive; it's a bit haphazard in effect. It tightens up nicely after the first 10 or 15 minutes, once the action starts. With the most recent action-revenge movie I've seen (and loved) being John Wick, a character who is ruthlessly efficient and accurate, seeing this no-name (not literally nameless; his name is Dwight) protagonist sloppily pursue his goal was a bit of a shock. This turns out to be its biggest strength. This character makes tons of mistakes and is basically groping around in the dark, but he's also determined and relentless. I've never seen a movie quite like this one, and I was completely sold well before the end. It had a surprisingly poetic and deep theme, and I'd definitely watch it again. Recommended.

Deepwater Horizon - Another movie I heard a lot of good things about. Somehow I wasn't familiar with the true story of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig beforehand, or else I'd just forgotten about it entirely. This movie stars Mark Wahlberg, an actor I really like, as a crew member on the Deepwater Horizon. There's a terrible accident, and what ensues is very reminiscent of Apollo 13 (the event and the movie). This was a powerful portrayal of the tragedy, and moving in seeing the heights of heroism these average men and women rose to. Great movie.

Lone Survivor - After being impressed with Deepwater Horizon, I looked up what other movies its director has done, leading me here. Again, it stars Mark Wahlberg, and again I was impressed. It's about a group of Navy SEALs in Afghanistan and their mission to take out a Taliban leader. I don't usually watch movies about such things, but I'm glad I made this exception. Despite that SEALs are famously badass, I really liked how vulnerable it showed they can be, and that, after all, they're just mortal people who get scared like anyone else. It's especially powerful to me, because I used to have a SEAL friend named Nate Hardy who was my division's PT leader, when I was in training at Defense Language Institute. He was a great, funny guy, and everyone loved him. A few years after we graduated, we got news that he had been killed in Balad, Iraq. It was devastating, and almost unbelievable; he seemed invincible, as he was built like a tank, and when he ran, it seemed like a brick wall couldn't stop him. Anyway, personal anecdote aside, Lone Survivor did a good job showing how SEALs are as people, and I appreciated that very much. I also appreciated that it didn't portray Afghanis as mindless terrorist madmen, but actual human beings who are just as scared as everyone else. Really puts into perspective how warped our views of other countries can be; the Taliban is just a tiny portion of the people there, but their evil actions give the whole country a bad rep. There's a scene in an Afghani village that really drives home the humanity, compassion, and courage of the citizens of Afghanistan.

Ok, that went on longer than planned. Great movies, all.

And if, by any chance, you're curious about my friend Nate Hardy, here's a link to a page commemorating him: http://thefallen.militarytimes.com/navy ... dy/3357689

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:19 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
With the most recent action-revenge movie I've seen (and loved) being John Wick, a character who is ruthlessly efficient and accurate, seeing this no-name (not literally nameless; his name is Dwight) protagonist sloppily pursue his goal was a bit of a shock.

This is exactly what I liked about Blue Ruin and disliked about John Wick - in JW, the execution of the revenge is very clean and precise, and I hate how it has to be another retired hitman coming back for one last job - I've just seen that too many times. Things move like you'd expect and there isn't a real danger to the character, I felt. Blue Ruin's dopey, messy, weird average guy bent on revenge is much more interesting to me. I'd love to see more movies that show revenge in that manner. Characters that make mistakes and don't know exactly what they're doing all the time are fascinating to me. That's intriguing writing.

Obviously John Wick was trying for something completely different though so eh, apples and oranges in a lot of ways.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:06 pm 

rexxz wrote:
The Void looks super awesome

Yes, a big budget cosmic horror movie! Fucking finally! :lol: I've been waiting so long for something like this to come out.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:08 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Thiestru wrote:
With the most recent action-revenge movie I've seen (and loved) being John Wick, a character who is ruthlessly efficient and accurate, seeing this no-name (not literally nameless; his name is Dwight) protagonist sloppily pursue his goal was a bit of a shock.

This is exactly what I liked about Blue Ruin and disliked about John Wick - in JW, the execution of the revenge is very clean and precise, and I hate how it has to be another retired hitman coming back for one last job - I've just seen that too many times. Things move like you'd expect and there isn't a real danger to the character, I felt. Blue Ruin's dopey, messy, weird average guy bent on revenge is much more interesting to me. I'd love to see more movies that show revenge in that manner. Characters that make mistakes and don't know exactly what they're doing all the time are fascinating to me. That's intriguing writing.

Obviously John Wick was trying for something completely different though so eh, apples and oranges in a lot of ways.

Oh, I agree. I didn't mean 'shock' in a bad way; it's kind of like when you try to pick something up that you expect to be heavy, and it's not, and your arm goes flying up, haha. I really enjoyed how Dwight was just a guy who had no idea how to go about achieving his end, but just kind of bumps into stuff and feels his way in the dark... until he finally gets a little light to see by, so to speak.

Edit: That trailer for The Void looks awesome. Definitely going on the must-see list.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:11 pm 

I really need to check Blue Ruin out. I've loved his other two films and I've heard nothing but great things about this one. Is it streaming somewhere (Netflix or otherwise), Thiestru, or did you buy a copy?

darkeningday wrote:

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:46 pm 

I FINALLY watched for the first time the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre and was very impressed. Everything about it was very well done IMO.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:45 pm 

I saw Blue Ruin before Green Room, and it's probably why I was so disappointed by Green Room, any of the finesse, mood, subtle style and a protagonist you really felt for in his previous movie was lost and it was too over-the-top for it's own good. Hold The Dark however sounds intriguing and I'm hoping he corrects himself.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:50 pm 

I liked Green Room and Blue Ruin about exactly the same - both very solid 4/5 movies for me.

Hold the Dark, huh - seems cool. Disappointed he isn't doing another movie with a color in the title. But looks cool.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:57 pm 

^haha Dammit, should've been 'Red Dark' or something. The trifecta of primary colours.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:01 pm 

I honestly thought that was what he was doing with these movies. Guess it was just a coincidence.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:43 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
^haha Dammit, should've been 'Red Dark' or something. The trifecta of primary colours.

Edit: Originally in this post, I said that green was not a primary color. Further research has shown that I was wrong. Therefore, I retract my earlier statement.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:12 am 

And now for the most ridiculous trailer I've ever seen.

This looks like it'll be a hilariously un-ironic, accidentally funny movie that doesn't actually know that it is, indeed, complete nonsense. I must see this when it comes out.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Turd Blaster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:20 am 

I actually keep seeing from critics that it's pretty good. I'm with you that it looks really goofy.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:23 am 

It has a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, actually. I'm even more surprised that it was made by one half of Key & Peele.

Turd Blaster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:32 am 

100%? Holy shit, that's wild. I might have to go see it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:42 am 

How does Get Out look like it "doesn't know it's complete nonsense"? Doesn't appear that way at all to me - seems like it'll at the very least have a kind of ironic wry touch to it.

I actually dread movies that have a 100 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, because then you get usually pretty good or at least solid flicks that get bashed on by viewers for not living up to some imagined hype... but ah well.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:02 am 

Critics are pretty much blown away by Get Out. Could be a best of 2017 contender.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:24 am 

I'm looking forward to Get Out, seems like Stepford Wives but with race relations taking the place of women's empowerment, but I'm very pensive about it. Key & Peele had moments of pure brilliance on their show, especially when it comes to mocking the "I'm not racist but..." mindset, but when they flop? Yeeeeesh.

darkeningday wrote:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:27 am 

That's the same exact vibe I got from it too. It's basically Stepford Wives but with black people. I'll see it primarily because of the praise it's getting.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:44 pm 

I keep hearing from people that the trailer is ridiculous, but the theatrical trailer I saw for it was really intense and made me want to see the movie immediately. So I thought maybe I saw a different trailer, but nope. Same one, I really don't see why people think the movie looks silly based on the trailer, the concept is a little weird, sure, but it looks tense and trippy. Maybe I don't watch enough of these types of movies to see something others are? Or maybe the whole race thing has people cynical?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:46 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
I keep hearing from people that the trailer is ridiculous, but the theatrical trailer I saw for it was really intense and made me want to see the movie immediately. So I thought maybe I saw a different trailer, but nope. Same one, I really don't see why people think the movie looks silly based on the trailer, the concept is a little weird, sure, but it looks tense and trippy. Maybe I don't watch enough of these types of movies to see something others are? Or maybe the whole race thing has people cynical?

I think people are used to horror movies about exorcisms and demon possession exclusively and think anything else just seems alien.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:02 pm 

There's definitely a feeling of "this is a comedy sketch" during the trailers because the premise sounds ripped from a '70s Blaxploitation flick (or, worse, a modern grindhouse "homage" that misses the point). I'm hesitant going in because, as I said above, both Key and Peele are hit-or-miss with their work. Since horror is meant to appeal to certain demographics (demonic possession doesn't scare atheists and so forth), it could just be that they're not the intended audience for it.

darkeningday wrote:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:24 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
I'm looking forward to Get Out, seems like Stepford Wives but with race relations taking the place of women's empowerment, but I'm very pensive about it. Key & Peele had moments of pure brilliance on their show, especially when it comes to mocking the "I'm not racist but..." mindset, but when they flop? Yeeeeesh.

Pretty much all sketch troupe shows are like that though. Kids in the Hall, Monty Python's Flying Circus, That Mitchell and Webb Look, Upright Citizens Brigade, they all had flops. Christ, KitH is probably my all-time favorite, but I can't fucking stand that goddamn chicken lady.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:10 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:

1) Random guy going for a midnight run randomly runs fullspeed at the protagonist and then darts away a mere second before he reaches him. Yeah that's not funny or poking fun at horror movie tropes.

2) Billy Madison antagonist says "call me Dean and hug me my myan", "so how long has this been going on... This thaaaang?", obvious record scratching joke.

3) Random stereotypical creepy weird people looking creepy and weird with goofy jumpscare music. Stereotypically weird straw-hat guy shaking protagonist's fistbump.

4) Insanely jumpcut edited every-single-thing-is-boo-scare trailer? Random "spooky" guy spinning an old timely bat, Really?! Then random shot of people holding bingo cards with complete seriousness?!?! Everything is evil, everything is out to get the main protagonist.

Yes those aren't at all an obvious satire/jokes of horror movie tropes. Reviewers have even mentioned there's quite a few side-splitting moments in the movie.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:10 pm 

I've watched 3 movies in the past couple days:

Saving Private Ryan - This is one of my favourite war movies, as well as one of my favourites in general. It's just so well done in every way, from the thrilling, brutal opening sequence at Omaha Beach, right through to the last stand at the bridge in Ramell. The action is fast, exciting, and even horrific at times; while the lulls show excellent character development, and what I think is one of the best portrayals of the following of a squad ever put to film. All in all, a fantastic film. 10/10

Hacksaw Ridge - I didn't mind this one, though it's nowhere near the same level as a movie like Letters from Iwo Jima. The action sequences were very well done for the most part, aside from some pretty bad CGI blood in a couple cases. I don't know if the next part is really considered spoilers, so I'll tag it anyways.
One of my biggest gripes with the movie was Andrew Garfield. I don't know if it was the role, or just how he played it, but I found him to be generally quite annoying. Another section I didn't really care for was pretty much the entirety of boot camp. I found it to be way too imitative of Full Metal Jacket, but nowhere near as good. It just felt cheap, and Vince Vaughn doesn't really do the greatest job as the "drill instructor"/Staff Sergeant.
Overall, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. 6.5/10

The Thing (2011) - There's really not much I enjoyed about this one. I'd seen it previously, years ago, and figured I'd give it another shot. I remember it not being very good, and it seems I remembered correctly. I know it's officially a prequel to the John Carpenter masterpiece, but it really just feels like a shitty remake. Many of the scenes are very similar, without any of the tension or atmosphere of the 1982 film. The feeling of dread was never there,
the first encounter with the thing is it killing a guy, and then shortly after it brings down a helicopter, that it could have potentially used to escape, for no good reason. The scene after Lars is presumed killed, when everyone is in the rec room, the thing kills 3 or 4 people and then just kind of gets away. But instead of trying to hide, or take the form of someone else, it just stays in alien form and hunts down the survivors. I feel the whole ship scene was a bit too ridiculous, and it pales in comparison to the scene from under the base in the original.
Though my biggest problem with the movie was the completely asinine decision by the producers to almost entirely scrap the amazing practical effects that had been created, in lieu of terrible looking CGI. At best, 4/10.

Also, I'm very excited for The Void. I've been wanting a new psychological, cosmic horror movie a la The Thing or Event Horizon for some time now, and it looks like The Void may be able to deliver.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 638, 639, 640, 641, 642, 643, 644 ... 818  Next