Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lowtide85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:38 pm 

Bede wrote:
Hmm... I thought the new Hobbit was a bit underwhelming and a let-down. Granted, it had its moments and the scenery was great, but it was lacking something... essential, for the lack of a better word; I dont know. Also,

Spoiler: show
Actually yes, Alfrid shows up way too much, we really didn't need another Jar Jar, but aside from that the movie wasn't underwhelming to me since I already had the idea that The Hobbit in its entirety wouldn't be as good as LOTR.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:52 pm 

So who is upset about not getting a chance to see Kim Jong-un get assassinated by Seth Rogen and James Franco on the big screen? :lol:

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:03 am 

I mean I guess I shouldn't laugh, it's going to have (and already has had) a chilling effect on freedom of expression. But at the same time there's just something insanely funny about a little fat king with nukes and an army of millions who is so insecure he orders his intelligence services to cyber-sabotage a Hollywood studio for making a comedy about him and then threaten terrorist attacks on movie theaters. Team American portrayed his father as an alien cockroach and he didn't blink; Kim Jong-un is twice as large as his father with half the confidence and 1/10th the balls.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:11 pm 

I just feel like it's kind of immature of us to make a "were america fack u" movie about the most impoverished, starving, and isolated country in the world. It's not gonna help get any closer to ending what is arguably the scariest regime on the planet. This is gonna take a lot of Dennis Rodman basketball matches to amend this insult.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:34 pm 

The whole The Interview thing is a big circus now. It wasn't going to be that great of a movie anyway, and yeah it sucks that the theaters had to pull it and all - but even so, way too much noise about what is probably otherwise just an average comedy featuring two famous actors. It'll get a lot of buzz for weeks to come now.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:27 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The whole The Interview thing is a big circus now. It wasn't going to be that great of a movie anyway, and yeah it sucks that the theaters had to pull it and all - but even so, way too much noise about what is probably otherwise just an average comedy featuring two famous actors. It'll get a lot of buzz for weeks to come now.

It'll get released anyway, and this whole incident will have just been a fantastic publicity stunt.

Lowtide85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:48 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
It'll get released anyway, and this whole incident will have just been a fantastic publicity stunt.

This.

Anyway the movie is probably not that great so I won't lose any sleep over it.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:50 am 

Lowtide85 wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

This. Anyway the movie is probably not that great so I won't lose any sleep over it.

The Sony hack was definitely not a publicity stunt. The premiere cancellation is probably Judd Apatow's doing.
I won't care either way as I sat through Neighbors and that was thoroughly a nonmedy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:38 am 

http://www.theatlantic.com/internationa ... e_facebook

Basically my thoughts on the whole thing. It isn't like we're missing some great insightful cultural commentary here.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:59 pm 

Nothing is too horrible to be made fun of. The entire point of satire is to pillory the world's wrongs with humoristic methods. To ridicule the powerful and corrupt does not mean to trivialize their evils but, ideally, to subvert the ideology, authority and mystification they protect themselves with. Only in the case of NK it's pointless. Making fun of KJU isn't subversive because westerners don't respect him anyways, and North Koreans don't get to watch our movies. It has no educational value, it serves only to reinforce our feeling of superiority. Essentially it is masturbation, supposed to make us feel good about ourselves, and that is exactly the opposite of what's necessary to make a change. We become more accepting of the wrongs within our reach like CIA torture and police brutality because compared to caricatures like our popular image of NK those don't seem so bad anymore. This fallacious attitude is far more in need of being satirized than some struggling isolationist regime on the other side of the world.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:24 pm 

....But how do you know that that's what the movie is about? I mean, sure, that's what Team America was like, but the little bit I know about this movie's plot is that these guys were going to legitimately interview KJU and then the CIA gets involved and the assassination plan gets hatched. For all we know, KJU is a real likable guy in the movie and the CIA are the total scumbags for trying to coerce a couple of regular honest reporters into doing something because it's the right thing to do or whatever, but really it's a monumentally difficult task because regular guys have difficulty murdering people and maybe KJU is real charming?

I mean, I have no idea and that's probably expecting too much from it, but until I see it (or hear about it from a reliable source) I don't know for sure that the movie demonizes KJU and turns him into a punching bag for American self-righteousness or whatever.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:34 pm 

I wasn't talking about the movie specifically, more trying to offer an alternative perspective to the sentiment expressed in the article linked by Empyreal. Of course I don't know what the movie is like, perhaps my criticism misses its point entirely and it's actually a sensible and eye-opening new take on the North Korea subject matter. Although that doesn't seem very likely.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:17 pm 

I think I'm on an Ethan Hunt movie watching spree. I watched Sinister (2012) today and it was pretty good. I wasn't spooked out by the so called "scary" characters in the movie but I really appreciated the good story telling in this. The acting all around was great. Some spoilers:
WTF, they could've really improved on the makeup/CGI for the missing kids from the other realm. That's my only gripe with the movie, otherwise it was quite engaging.

Next movie lined up is 'Predestination'. Not sure how that will be. All I know is that it's got to do with a time-travelling cop. Perhaps, after that, I'll bite the bullet and watch 'Boyhood'. I've heard a lot about it.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:40 pm 

shouvince wrote:
I think I'm on an Ethan Hunt movie watching spree. I watched Sinister (2012) today and it was pretty good. I wasn't spooked out by the so called "scary" characters in the movie but I really appreciated the good story telling in this. The acting all around was great. Some spoilers:
WTF, they could've really improved on the makeup/CGI for the missing kids from the other realm. That's my only gripe with the movie, otherwise it was quite engaging.

Next movie lined up is 'Predestination'. Not sure how that will be. All I know is that it's got to do with a time-travelling cop. Perhaps, after that, I'll bite the bullet and watch 'Boyhood'. I've heard a lot about it.

As far as Predestination, I was expecting something like Timecop, but.....
I watched roughly 45 minutes of it, and only the first 5 minutes of it are remotely sci fi. The rest is about the woman and her story.
I ended up going on wikipedia to see the twists and glad I did. People seem to think it's different etc, but I just found it boring.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:34 pm 

Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie

I'll excuse the not so good acting and especially the special effects on the low budget. As for the plot, it wasn't a bad concept but can't say I was impressed by it.

Worth a watch if you're a big AVGN fan like me, but most of his videos were a lot funnier than this movie. Most of the cast had poor delivery while cracking jokes.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:15 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
shouvince wrote:

As far as Predestination, I was expecting something like Timecop, but.....
I watched roughly 45 minutes of it, and only the first 5 minutes of it are remotely sci fi. The rest is about the woman and her story.
I ended up going on wikipedia to see the twists and glad I did. People seem to think it's different etc, but I just found it boring.

Haha, 'Ethan Hunt'.. So that explains what he gets up to between Mission Impossible movies.

I put my thoughts on Predestination the previous page. Glad I'm not the only one who thought is was boring, only accentuated by no suspense in a supposed thriller, all the 9 star reviews on IMBD are huffing spray-paint IMO.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:39 am 

Haha, darn! Shit, I meant Hawke. So I watched Predestination and it was boring as you guys said it. I was thrown off by the IMDB rating thinking it would be watchable. In truth, it was long, slow and plodding. Without giving out any spoilers, they spent way too much trying to explain the individual dots while connecting them only in the end. I wasn't even that thrilled to see that ending. Meh.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:53 am 

So, the It Follows trailer was released a few days ago. It's been generating a bit of buzz within independent film festivals for a bit now. I won't say I'm a huge horror afficio, but this looks like a breath of dank air amidst all the haunted house/exorcism movies that have been coming out as of late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaRx7iR9kXg
Death metal is eternal.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:07 pm 

Yeah, that movie looks amazing. Most anticipated horror film for me, for sure. Even more than The Babadook, which I haven't gotten around too yet. I love the song that plays in the trailer, old school synth as fuck. Not only that, but it's got Maika Monroe whom I loved in the Guest and Antagony and Ecstasy loved it. He's the only reviewer I care about these days.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:40 pm 

Did a write up on The Babadook and Starry Eyes on the blog for those interested, since the movies have been so bandied about here. The Babadook especially is horror movie of the year. Really outstanding work.

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:53 pm 

The Babadook is a thriller, calling it 'horror' is being extremely lenient.

Annabelle and Deliver Us From Evil would be my top selections, followed by The Taking of Deborah Logan and As Above, So Below as my found footage runner ups.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:02 pm 

No, it is definitely a horror movie.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:14 pm 

Exigence wrote:

Annabelle and Deliver Us From Evil would be my top selections, followed by The Taking of Deborah Logan and As Above, So Below as my found footage runner ups.

How do you even exist?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:36 pm 

He was created in a lab to have the worst taste in everything possible.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:27 pm 

Not in everything; I'd be willing to bet he drinks a lot of pineapple juice for that reason alone.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:46 am 

Henceforth darkeningday is no longer allowed to make jokes about or references to sex, sexual organs, objects used for sex, and the related fluids.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:52 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Exigence wrote:

How do you even exist?

Ever seen The Brood? That's how. Nerf-hammer weilding mini-King Diamond with a hair lip.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:12 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Henceforth darkeningday is no longer allowed to make jokes about or references to sex, sexual organs, objects used for sex, and the related fluids.

Seriously, why censor me?????? That post had nothing wrong with it! Theres something wrong with you i can tell you! You're immoral censoring my free speech! Anyways, i'm creating my own movie thead.

http://moviesnooneunderstandsbutme.larsvontrier420.com

Anyway on a serious note, the 1925 Ben-hur was way more epic than the Heston one, especially considering their relative time frames.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:01 pm 

Watched the new Hobbit yesterday, liked it quite a bit. It had some dumb bits, like the Master's servant guy was completely pointless, but the action and visuals were amazing, better than the first two I think. Basically if you liked 1 & 2, you'll probably like 3 more. If you didn't like 1 & 2, I doubt 3 will change your mind.

Also watched Killing Them Softly, a sort of arty crime movie starring Brad Pitt, James Gandolfini, Ray Liotta, and a bunch of relative nobodies - it was a post-Pulp Fiction movie that thankfully takes the more serious aspects (interesting dialog, realism, sleaziness, lack of "super kewl" romanticized action) and leaves behind the more juvenile Tarantino-isms. Basically three guys conspire to rob an illegal poker game because they know someone else will take the blame, and then Brad Pitt is hired to find out who did it and whack them. Very simple plot that ends up being very engrossing due to super strong dialog and performances from pretty much everyone. It gets a liiiiiittle excessively arty here and there with some shots, but it still does enough neat stuff that I don't fault it - there's a scene where one of the criminals is on heroin and we see things from his perspective as he's nodding out, it's very neat.

Anyway, recommended for anyone who likes crime dramas. It's on Netflix!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:24 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Ever seen The Brood? That's how. Nerf-hammer weilding mini-King Diamond with a hair lip.

:lol: Perfect, love this.

Watched Bad Santa last night...loved it. Just the kind of filthy black comedy I needed, and a lot better than I expected it to be. Fun, dark humor that kept me laughing and entertained the entire time, and even tugged on your heartstrings when it needed to. The minimal moralizing was refreshing I thought - how did I miss this up to now?

Gonna put on Die Hard later too.

bodomlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:23 pm 

The Interview is now available on Youtube for rent. Watched it last night and found it to pretty funny.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:17 am 

How does it compare to other films that those two have done? I thought This is the End was great, and I thought that Pineapple Express was pretty good. Is the Interview the type of movie that has the sort of over the top humor like This is the End, or is it more of a standard Seth Rogen movie?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:49 am 

So Noah was by far the best Aronofsky movie I've seen (all but Wrassler) because all of those slow pans of Iceland were beautiful and the obvious nods to Harryhausen were welcome, but the story was a mess that went absolutely nowhere other than dry land, and if the pacing was any more glacial it would had to have been set in Antarctica. And for being a movie entirely about Noah his character sure was shallow and dimensionless. In the final act his character makes a 180 that's supposed to throw the audience into shock, but he was such an uninteresting and inconsistently written character up to that point the best it could elicit from me was a groan.

So basically what I'm saying is that Noah could have been saved with a solid arc.

bodomlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:10 am 

ObservationSlave wrote:
How does it compare to other films that those two have done? I thought This is the End was great, and I thought that Pineapple Express was pretty good. Is the Interview the type of movie that has the sort of over the top humor like This is the End, or is it more of a standard Seth Rogen movie?

I haven't seen This is the End, but The Interview reminded me of Pineapple Express a little just because of how absurd it is. It's definitely worth at least one watch if you are a fan of Seth Rogen in general.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:57 am 

bodomlord wrote:
The Interview is now available on Youtube for rent. Watched it last night and found it to pretty funny.

Yeah, I just watched this. While there's no way it was going to live up to the hysteria surrounding it, it does have some very funny moments.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:16 am 

I highly like The Wrestler and Requiem for a Dream and see the obvious skill Aronofsky possesses but I have absolutely no interest in watching Noah in my lifetime. Maybe it's consistently unimpressive Russell Crowe, maybe because it's a biblical tale (despite whatever gritty reinvention it might bode), either way I'm sitting it out along with The Interview.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:05 am 

darkeningday wrote:
So basically what I'm saying is that Noah could have been saved with a solid arc.

I have banned people for less than this.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:25 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
I highly like The Wrestler and Requiem for a Dream and see the obvious skill Aronofsky possesses but I have absolutely no interest in watching Noah in my lifetime. Maybe it's consistently unimpressive Russell Crowe, maybe because it's a biblical tale (despite whatever gritty reinvention it might bode), either way I'm sitting it out along with The Interview.

I saw Noah rather unfortunately, it was really terrible on so many levels. If you're worried about it being too religious and biblical don't be, about the only thing it has in common with the bible story is there's a guy named Noah and he had an arc.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:29 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

I have banned people for less than this.

:')

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
If you're worried about it being too religious and biblical don't be, about the only thing it has in common with the bible story is there's a guy named Noah and he had an arc.

No actually he DIDN'T have an arc; that was the problem! :P

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned Evan Almighty > Noah.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:42 pm 

So I just watched the movie Tusk starring Justin Long and the Sixth Sense kid... Wtf is this shite?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 499, 500, 501, 502, 503, 504, 505 ... 818  Next