Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:04 pm 

I'm looking forward to it. After all it couldn't be any worse than Beyond Thunderdome.

Only Mad Max film I actually enjoy watching is the second but even that suffers from unintentional comedic moments and plodding dull sections. The action featured is a highlight.

The trailer makes me think Mad Max will finally be given the kick-start it deserves. I'm hoping the action is high and the new characters compliment the world of Mad Max, and there's some difference between it and the usual predictable bag of big budget Hollywood. Lastly I hope this isn't made for another sequel as knowing the hold-up on Fury Road, I doubt that'd ever happen, at least under the same team.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:23 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Why does everyone here care this much about The Expendables again? I never got that memo.

The Purge 2: Anarchy - 1.5/5

I thought the first one was interesting but played it too safe, trying to appeal more to the mainstream cinema crowd and thus forsaking a lot of the intelligence that could have been there otherwise. While the idea behind these movies is supposed to be this big social commentary, it's just not delivering; instead giving us a few scraps of plot here and there and then making the other hour and a half just a big generic thriller movie with little to like. This one starts off okay, and the build up and atmosphere is kind of cool at first, but it goes to shit pretty fast with too many characters, too much shaky cam and very little of any meaning. I really did not like this at all and won't be seeing any future sequels.

It had a bunch of action stars from the 80's/90's and shouldve been the ultimate action movies. Instead of being badass hard R movies, they ended up being PG-13 action movies with cgi blood added to get an R rating.
The second one was originally R, but Chuck Norris wouldnt do it(I really have no idea what is so amazing about him), because he said kids wouldnt be able to see it, so they changed it to PG-13. When that slipped, people got pissed, so they added cgi to get an R rating(which there's hardly any of anyway).
The 3rd one was a joke, where they made it barely PG-13, to appeal to a "new generation". When I say barely, I mean it could almost be PG, but there's a little bit of language. Instead of seeing a bunch of badasses shooting the shit out of people, its mainly Sly and some young people you've never heard of shooting people and they just fall down.

DeadAndMessedUp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:13 am 

This is the mentality that ruined Rambo 4. It's not a horror movie folks.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:04 am 

So, I saw The Expendables 3 screener. It's a fine movie. If you enjoyed the second one, you'll enjoy this one. I'm pretty over the whole, "there's no blood and guts, dude!" mentality. Rambo IV was all about that, The Expendables had the leftovers from that, but everything else has been pretty slim on the graphic scale, and I'm OK with that.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:52 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Why does everyone here care this much about The Expendables again? I never got that memo.

The Purge 2: Anarchy - 1.5/5

I thought the first one was interesting but played it too safe, trying to appeal more to the mainstream cinema crowd and thus forsaking a lot of the intelligence that could have been there otherwise. While the idea behind these movies is supposed to be this big social commentary, it's just not delivering; instead giving us a few scraps of plot here and there and then making the other hour and a half just a big generic thriller movie with little to like. This one starts off okay, and the build up and atmosphere is kind of cool at first, but it goes to shit pretty fast with too many characters, too much shaky cam and very little of any meaning. I really did not like this at all and won't be seeing any future sequels.

Makes me wonder whether the Purges would have done better as a TV series where they would actually have the time to flesh out the bizarre world they're set in (rather than the comparatively bland action.)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:02 am 

It might work, haha. Give them like 5-10 years and I'm sure they'll do that, actually. Seems to be how a lot of these sorts of things go.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:13 am 

DeadAndMessedUp wrote:
This is the mentality that ruined Rambo 4. It's not a horror movie folks.

Ruined? Rambo 4 was awesome. Expendables 2 and 3 had nearly all the R rated action stars, but they decided to sell out and make it for kids.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:53 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
So, I saw The Expendables 3 screener. It's a fine movie. If you enjoyed the second one, you'll enjoy this one. I'm pretty over the whole, "there's no blood and guts, dude!" mentality. Rambo IV was all about that, The Expendables had the leftovers from that, but everything else has been pretty slim on the graphic scale, and I'm OK with that.

Good god, dude, is there anything in life you don't like?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:44 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

I'd rather love loving things that being an ass and hating everything.

I mean, I have some serious issues with EX-3, but on the whole it's an alright movie. EX-2 felt a little too clean and tidy for me in regards to the action scenes, and I think EX-1 did it right. A lot of the fight scenes and shootouts are all about the rough'n tumble, and I appreciate that.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:10 pm 

If he can find something he likes in a movie, who the fuck cares?

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:34 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

I'd rather love loving things that being an ass and hating everything.

Does it have to be a diametric stance? Can't we all just settle on being apathetic and dead-eyed towards most everything? ;)

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:56 pm 

Damn it's comparable to the second movie?! Which was just random one liners that didn't belong and felt forced, bro-fists and laughter, but very little in the way of any suspense or a mildly interesting story. It looks like the actors were having fun but audience who enjoy good action sure isn't. How come Commando was good stupid fun yet not one Expendables movie can even come close?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:55 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Does it have to be a diametric stance? Can't we all just settle on being apathetic and dead-eyed towards most everything? ;)

I can live with that. Then we can all watch Ender's Game sequels and more movies like Cloud Atlas in peace.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:28 pm 

Have you guys seen The Wind Rises? Beautiful movie.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:34 pm 

Yes! Saw it on the big screen when it came out. Great experience, looking forward to seeing the subtitled version later on. The dub job they did was good enough, though. I didn't think it was Miyazaki's best, but it was certainly my favorite of his last few films.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:49 pm 

Miyazaki will never again strike gold with classics like Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro and Castle in the Sky, but at least his worst films are behind him already (Nausicaa, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, to be exact, and even they're not *bad* by any means).

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:31 am 

I don't think he'll ever again strike anything ;). Wasn't The Wind Rises to be his directorial swansong?

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:40 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Damn it's comparable to the second movie?! Which was just random one liners that didn't belong and felt forced, bro-fists and laughter, but very little in the way of any suspense or a mildly interesting story. It looks like the actors were having fun but audience who enjoy good action sure isn't. How come Commando was good stupid fun yet not one Expendables movie can even come close?

Huge spoilers for EX3
Spoiler: show
It's practically a remake of the second, with Crews replacing the kid from the 2nd as the reason Sly goes after Gibson(he snipes him twice, BUT he doesnt actually die). They get all depressed, with Sly thinking theyre too old, so he more or less abandons them, which is where the younger people come in. Sly takes them to capture Gibson, where he has a GPS on his watch, which the helicopter shoots the truck and escapes(sly flies down to the river). Gibson takes the kids hostage and as Sly's about to leave, the other expendables join him. They arrive in small village, where they fight an army, with the sly/vs gibson fight being maybe 3 minutes

The action- I thought the beginning and end of the second was underwhelming, well in this one,
the train scene is around 5 minutes, and after that, the first mission with Snipes, is so toned down. He get a huge machete and not a drop of blood. The only blood that I saw was Gibson's at the end

As far as one liners, Arnolds are actually nods to his older movies
get to the choppa(towards the end) and I lied(about retiring)

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:44 pm 

Just came back from Guardians of the Galaxy (special screening at the Fantasia movie fest) and it was very damn good. I fucking hated the crowd though, it was constantly screaming and we missed many lines of dialogues, I'm never going back to Fantasia for big movies like that! Anyway, I didn't pay for it since HB had a spare ticket so I shouldn't complain. We knew beforehand that the after credits scenes were not present but it was still lame :( I guess I'll go see it again!

It was the funniest Marvel movie by far, not the best though (I think this is Avengers or Iron Man) but it was very entertaining. Chris Pratt is fucking awesome as Peter Quill/Starlord, I was already a fan of the guy because of Parks & Recreation but I believe he's destined to a famous future. Bradley Cooper is freaking funny as Rocket Racooon and he reallly feels like an entire and important character and so is Groot! I always liked Lee Pace but he seems to suffer from the same problem Chris Eccleston had in Thor 2, huge costume + makeup that hides most acting but he was pretty decent anyway and Ronan was a solid bad guy. The movie was simply beautiful and this sort of spectacular sci fi will be hard to beat for the new Star Wars. No need to say that it should be seen on the big screen.

I am Groot!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:49 pm 

Has anyone here seen 1900/Novecento? I've recorded the movie some days ago but the movie being 5 hours long does turn me off a bit.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:52 pm 

Opinions on Locke starring Tom Hardy*? I'm about to dive in. I've heard good things.

Last edited by ~Guest 98976 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:06 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Opinions on Locke starring Tom Brady? I'm about to dive in. I've heard good things.

Who the fuck is Tom Brady?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:20 pm 

Quarterback for the Patriots.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:23 pm 

I meant... Tom Hardy, haha.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:04 pm 

I got to see Monty Python and the Holy Grail on the big screen yesterday. That was a really fun experience, and I even caught a few lines that I missed previous viewings. We also got to see restored Terry Gilliam animatics that were deleted from the original cut, which was also really cool.

Exigence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:19 pm 

Guardians of the Galaxy was awesome. It was every Indiana Jones / Star Wars / Marvel trope blended into one and even at it's most 'all is lost' moments it never lost a sense of humor. Like, if I rolled my eyes at a serious scene, the characters were rolling their eyes as well. It's also completely entrenched in more interesting/colorful Marvel mythology than any Shield or Asgard shit.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:36 pm 

shouvince wrote:
I don't know about you guys but this new Mad Max trailer looks terrific! I have a feeling it'll do justice to the franchise.

Dude, that trailer is just so cinematic and powerful. This new Mad Max (reboot, right?) looks great and packed with fine and well crafted action. Tom Hardy is a perfect cast for the role of the road warrior, both in looks and acting skills he is superb.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:53 pm 

O_O

I've gotta say I've been harboring some cautious excitement for that movie, but holy shit was that trailer delicious. Even if the story is crap I'm confident Tom Hardy will be perfect in the role and that, as that trailer proves, the art and costume design and most importantly action are completely on point. Cannot wait for this movie.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:59 pm 

Yeah, the fact that George Miller is helming this and that all indications so far seem to be that it won't be complete shite has me tentatively excited. I know it won't have the particular vibe of the originals, but I'm getting the feeling it'll actually be pretty good. I don't have any specific feelings about Tom Hardy, I just hope he does a good job.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:27 am 

I'm looking forward to it, but there's been so much post-apocalyptic stuff in the media since the original movies. And I'm talking that dry, desert, brown post-apocalyptic style like Fist Of The North Star, Borderlands, Fallout, a ridiculous number of movies, that I feel like I'm not seeing a lot of new or interesting stuff. As long as the set-pieces are compelling, I think it'll make a good movie. That's not necessarily bad, but I think of it like an attempted John Carter movie, or The Matrix being revisited with no updates to the visuals, design, constumes, etc. It just feels like I've seen it all before.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:50 am 

In its defense, Mad Max did "that" before all those other things did (Fist of the North Star being directly influenced by it), so it has license in my book. :)

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:40 pm 

Went to the drive-through movies last night and saw a double feature.

Lucy 1.5/5
Has Scarlet Johanson and Morgan Freeman in it but not much else. Started off rather interesting and obtuse as you were seeing things from Johanson's perspective but there really didn't seem like much of a plot. She gets an implant of some drug that makes her gradually use more and more of her brain until she is operating 100% and she disappears as she becomes everything. Johanson's goal is to meet Freeman, an expert on the human brain to let him know how right his theories were about what would happen when the brain uses a greater capacity. Johanson has 24hours before she dies. Meanwhile the Asian mafia who planted the drug in her is trying to stop her and gets into a little shoot out with the police. Makes no sense as Johanson can just wave a finger and take all their guns away and she has been aiming to assist the police. Then, in front of Freeman and colleagues he gathered to meet her she gives him a disk of ALL knowledge and then just disappears. Movie ends. Some nice CGI, and rather lame action sequences and that was it really.

The Purge 2 1.5/5
Never saw the first one and had no idea what it was about but it was an interesting movie.
Concept was really interesting with the idea of having one night a year where people can kill each other with no fear of prosecution to combat the overpopulation. The movie gives a very pessimistic view of humanity assuming that most of us want to kill each other but just don't because of fear of prosecution. I doubt humanity as a whole is this bad, and of course I doubt people would have one night a year where they kill people without any of their friends or family judging them for it at all. Just a purely hypothetical situation. Typical horror movie set-up with a small group of people who come across each other randomly and their fight for survival through the night. Entertaining to watch as long as you don't overthink things as a lot doesn't really make a great deal of sense. And the ending was pure hollywood with the whole light at the end of the tunnel, and wrapping everything up into a neat little bow, and the main character has an epiphany at the end and doing the right thing morally ends up saving his life. If you can look past how lame a lot of it is, it can be somewhat entertaining.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:55 pm 

Miller says the new Mad Max has a 105-minute chase scene. The movie is basically a chase scene, in other words. Well, Gibson was able to make that work in Apocalypto without any cars, so I guess it's doable.

Also that was a pretty cool trailer.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:44 pm 

105-minute chase scene? I don't know if I are excite or less interest.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:59 pm 

The trailer was cool and all, but I'm skeptical about the *nature* of the action. It looks like super modern, super slick "painstakingly choreographed slo-mo and explosions" type stuff as seen in Michael Bay movies, rather than the grittier, more realistic action from the previous movies. Really though how good the movie is will come down to the writing, which of course we don't get to see any of in the trailer.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:32 pm 

Agreed, but it's a trailer. It's always going to be as Michael Bay-ish as possible and Miller probably had nothing to do with it. The action in any of the Mad Max films has rarely been gratuitous so I think Miller knows what he's doing. I'm a fan of all 3 films and don't think he has put a foot wrong (yes, even in Beyond Thunderdome.)

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:36 pm 

I care more about execution rather than interesting post-apocalyptic themes. There's still room for an interesting spin but I don't think Mad Max needs to bother. It's oversaturated but few make for a compelling viewing, simplicity can work well if A: I care about the characters, B: Feel and believe there is a threat to them and C: Find them reacting in an non-cliche way with engaging action scenes.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:26 pm 

Two men entah! One man leaves!

the_heathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:12 pm 

Watching Zach and Miri Make a Porno "Porn has gone mainstream! It's like Coke or Pepsi except with dicks in it." Lmfao

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:25 pm 

I dare you to find a mainstream post-2000 American movie that's more misogynistic than that one.

I feel that Kevin Smith could even get away with walking around in blackface as long as he through in lots of bullshit political proselytizing and assurances of him "not actually being racist."

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 474, 475, 476, 477, 478, 479, 480 ... 818  Next