* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:21 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
I remember thinking American Beauty was pretty sappy at times, but the way it was told was just so good. It was a powerful, compelling movie and I enjoyed pretty much every minute of it.

Between that and House of Cards, Kevin Spacey really is just a powerhouse of an actor. He makes Frank in HoC so damned likable for a murdering sociopath.

Man, I watched American Beauty a couple weeks ago, and it was one of the best movies I've seen in a while. On the surface, the concept is very simple, but there is actually so much going on in it. Add to that Kevin Spacey's unreal acting, it's one of a kind.

Also, I can't picture Frank Underwood being played by someone other than Kevin Spacey. I can't say I enjoyed Season 3 as much as 1 and 2. Hopefully Season 4 will live up to the standards of the first 2.

How did you find that post? I dunno. The only House of Cards season I really liked was 3. Otherwise it's a fun show but terribly inconsistent and kinda one-note.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:37 pm 

I searched for American Beauty to see if it was mentioned and what people thought of it. The search bar is very useful, ya know. :)

Season 3 was so forgettable for me. I kept wondering if he would plot to kill Petrov instead of actually focusing on everything else. The only part I genuinely enjoyed was when Doug tried to hunt down Rachel and eventually capture her, but other than that, it was redundant and at times very annoying.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:38 am 

American Beauty is ok but Wes Bentley's character who films plastic bags is easily the worst part. Some of it is on point like Spacey's character and his wife, whereas other parts are just pretentious self important "art" spewings, trying to be punchy like Tyler Durden but with none of conflict, wit or progressive arc to back it up.
kluseba wrote:
It would be nice if you had some suggestions. Thank you.
Green Room.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:24 pm 

Two and a half years ago, I came into this thread and laid out my reasons as to why I refused to watch Disney's Saving Mr. Banks, which for those who don't know is a movie about the origin story of their Mary Poppins movie. Now, I hold that movie in extremely high regard, and it's a very deeply important movie for me personally, and the primary thing that bugged me about Saving Mr. Banks, just based off the trailers and past experiences watching similar movies, was that I knew they were going to change around the origin story of Mary Poppins and I KNEW that it was gonna annoy me simply because of how fucking anal I am about that movie.

So I decided to watch the movie tonight. Yeah, I'm a fool.

This movie was wonderful. They handled the changes to the origin story quite gracefully for the most part, and the lead performances are amazing. This is legit the most engrossed I've ever been in a Tom Hanks performance; the entire time, it felt like you were actually watching Walt Disney for real. The moment I realized the movie was gonna be way more than I was giving it credit for was when Pamela turns on the TV in the hotel (after giving zero fucks and throwing a bunch of pears into the hotel pool) and it comes on the old Disneyland TV show. I saw Tom Hanks as Walt Disney for 3 seconds and the biggest smile imaginable came over my face. It absolutely was like watching Walt Disney, rather than Tom Hanks playing Walt Disney. Ironically, that was the opposite of my initial thought when I first saw the trailer; I was for sure Emma Thompson alone would be the totally engrossing actor, as Tom Hanks tends to usually still have a hint of Tom Hanks in his performances. Nope. Both played their parts to a T. I also really appreciated all the little references and in-jokes to things from Mary Poppins that they threw in there throughout, plus how they intertwined Travers' upbringing with individual pieces from Mary Poppins was very, very well done. Really made you get why she was so crazy about everything being exactly to her specifications.

Outstanding piece of work from everyone involved.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:38 am 

Milk - really good actually. It didn't feel too schmaltzy or overdone. Just this real poignant, engaging story about the life of gay politician/activist Harvey Milk. I got into the characters and the story moved along quite well. It did everything all these Oscar-bait movies do just a bit better. Very solid film and extra relevant in today's climate with all the LGBT type news going on. Sean Penn is a great actor because he can actually convince me that he is likable.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:42 pm 

Vacancy - Hush was better. And yeah I am comparing this to a 'home invasion' movie even though here, the couple (Luke Wilson and Kate Beckinsale) gets trapped in a sleazy motel room instead of their house. But it plays out mostly like you'd expect: they gradually become aware that the people messing with them psychologically aren't just pranksters, but actually killers; the attackers "could come in at any time" but choose to draw things out; somebody leaves, then returns to the main room; etc.

I guess what bothered me most is that when the couple starts fighting back, they take advantage of things that the motel people obviously knew about. I get that they wanted their snuff films to have some tension in them, but for Christ's sake, don't [major climax spoiler]
Spoiler: show
let the people you're hunting have access to a gun!

5 / 10, passable time-killer, but not really recommended.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:14 am 

Man, that was a shitpile of a movie. I'd definitely give that more like 1 or 2 out of 10.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:11 pm 

So I assume you guys know about/have seen/enjoy Moon, right? Well maybe I'm the last person to find this out, but apparently Duncan Jones, the director, was the guy who directed.........
the upcoming Warcraft movie. Which has started getting advance reviews, which are pretty fucking negative (HUGE SURPRISE). Also he's David Bowie's son. The world is a weird fucking place sometimes.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:16 pm 

lol

Rainbow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:37 pm 

Visually, the Warcraft movie looked like garbage. From the first trailer I thought "Yeah, bomb".

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:21 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
So I assume you guys know about/have seen/enjoy Moon, right? Well maybe I'm the last person to find this out, but apparently Duncan Jones, the director, was the guy who directed.........
the upcoming Warcraft movie. Which has started getting advance reviews, which are pretty fucking negative (HUGE SURPRISE). Also he's David Bowie's son. The world is a weird fucking place sometimes.

It looked fucking awful in the trailers but I've heard mostly positive things from reviewers...

Also, Moon was great but Source Code... not so much.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:02 am 

Breaking the Waves is Lars von Trier's only good movie.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:14 am 

darkeningday wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

It looked fucking awful in the trailers but I've heard mostly positive things from reviewers...

I haven't seen Source Code but the Warcraft movie looks like such garbage on multiple levels that I don't think I'll ever want to sit through it. For years now Blizzard has been shitting on what was originally a cool (albeit somewhat generic) backstory for their games, turning orcs from typical greenskins into progressively more racist-seeming "tribal" people who originally had brown skin and shamans and lived in harmony with nature and all that shit before they made a pact with demons.

The original story was a fun, D&D/Warhammer-ripoff adventure with an evil wizard, demons, and a cool war. Since then, they've been building all this extraneous "deep" drama onto that original base which simply can't (and shouldn't) support it. It doesn't need shades of gray, it doesn't need morally conflicted characters like Garona and Lothar, it doesn't need fucking arguments about genocide and racism. It should be fun escapism, not tedious pseudo-deep crap coming out of the mouths of cartoon characters.

None of that is really Jones's fault, of course, he didn't write the screenplay and I'm sure his hands are basically tied when it comes to making potentially lore-changing decisions. Hopefully he makes a pile of money and goes back to making movies like Moon.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:22 am 

Yeah, Moon's fantastic. Makes me wish Sam Rockwell got more lead roles, too.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:47 am 

So X-Men: Apocalypse was plainly average. It wasn't anywhere near the worst film in the X-Men series (looking at you, Origins) but it wasn't nearly as fun or entertaining as some of the previous installments like Days of Future Past or X2. The villain was kinda bland, and aside from perhaps Storm, all the rehashed characters brought back in this one (Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Jean Grey) are all lesser than their predecessors. And it may just be the comic nerd in me, but I've all but given up on the continuity of this film universe. It was in a very tenuous place after all the time-travel updates from Days of Future Past, but after the events of this movie, the original trilogy from the last decade may as well be an entirely separate cannon. I guess the one positive I can give is that, for the first time in the series, we got to focus on literally anyone other than Wolverine.

Don't feel obligated to watch this one right away. You could probably wait for Netflix or something.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:26 am 

I really liked both First Class and Days of Future Past, yet I have zero interest in Apocalypse. It just looks aimless and unnecessary, and the fact that they really fucked up Apocalypse as a character annoys me.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:52 am 

failsafeman wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

I haven't seen Source Code

I thought Source Code was fantastic, but the ending was a little... wtf.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:53 am 

I really enjoyed Source Code when it came out, and now I think it might not be that great in retrospect - but it was still a fun flick. High energy and adventurous.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:35 pm 

Source Code was very entertaining, watching it all unfold, guessing which big revelation will come next, but the premise was basically just a typical Star Trek time travel episode mixed with some 24-style terrorist shenanigans. Not bad at all but nothing even close to Moon, and the ending was very unsatisfying.

Thiestru wrote:

Shut the fuck up. :P

It's not a bad film, but I like Europa, Element of Crime, Manderlay, Dancer in the Dark and of course my favorite film of all time, Dogville, far more. Breaking the Waves got a bit stale for me once you knew exactly what was going to happen for the next two hours.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:33 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Source Code was very entertaining, watching it all unfold, guessing which big revelation will come next, but the premise was basically just a typical Star Trek time travel episode mixed with some 24-style terrorist shenanigans. Not bad at all but nothing even close to Moon, and the ending was very unsatisfying.

Thiestru wrote:

Shut the fuck up. :P

It's not a bad film, but I like Europa, Element of Crime, Manderlay, Dancer in the Dark and of course my favorite film of all time, Dogville, far more. Breaking the Waves got a bit stale for me once you knew exactly what was going to happen for the next two hours.

Haha, I said that realizing that I haven't seen about half of his catalogue. Von Trier is a talented director, but his movies usually end up getting on my nerves with how slow, drawn-out, melodramatic, and up-close everything is. I know that's his thing, but it reaches a point where I just want the movie to fucking get on with it. Oh yeah, and the handheld camera. It's supposed to be intimate and personal, but it's really just annoying and distracting. Filmmakers need to quit using it.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:17 pm 

C'mon now, Antichrist was great.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:45 am 

I've seen Dogville, Antichrist and Melancholia, and Melancholia is the only one I found less than good. Even that, I'd still take any day over something like Cloud Atlas or some other drivel.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:44 am 

Yeah, I re-watched Melancholia recently and it affected me a lot more than the first time. I think you just need to be in the right frame of mind while you watch it, and are willing to slip into its own peculiar argot (if you can forgive how absurdly pretentious that sounds). Von Trier uses The Distancing Effect in a lot of his films but somehow it's a lot more, uh, distancing in Melancholia, probably because of the weird dialog and bizarre casting choices. I can't say I liked the movie exactly, but I can say it was definitely worth watching.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:22 am 

I can only suppose people don't like Melancholia because it's the only one with any semblance of optimism about it, not just "here, look how shit the world is" (although that is ~90% of the film too).

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:03 am 

Source Code: DD summed it up, it's like a really good 'what-if' tv episode. It's a thrillride from the opening credits but if you're looking for the next 'Timecrimes' or something to mentally sink your mind into look elsewhere.

Melancholia: Expedience, you basically just cancelled your opinion out. It is not optimistic, it's as depressing as 1984 imo. People featured are near to scum and everyone secretly or openly hates one another and it's essentially a reprieve when the end comes so they can end their miserably negative existence. The visuals are striking but story wise it's plodding, meandering and surprisingly shallow, whereas with Antichrist every scene (even gratuitous sex scenes) meant something and was revealing and unraveling the psychology of the characters and their history.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:08 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Melancholia: Expedience, you basically just cancelled your opinion out. It is not optimistic, it's as depressing as 1984 imo. People featured are near to scum and everyone secretly or openly hates one another and it's essentially a reprieve when the end comes so they can end their miserably negative existence. The visuals are striking but story wise it's plodding, meandering and surprisingly shallow, whereas with Antichrist every scene (even gratuitous sex scenes) meant something and was revealing and unraveling the psychology of the characters and their history.

Sounds like you missed the point of the film. Maybe watch it again?

Last edited by Expedience on Sun May 29, 2016 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:12 am 

Expedience wrote:
Sounds like you missed the point of the film. Watch it again maybe?

Yeah I don't think I will do that because It's a pretentious excuse for fart-smelling art wanking, much better left to you.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:16 am 

Okay, just maybe consider that displaying negative behaviour in a film does not equate to being negative.

Besides, I didn't say I loved it. It's a 6 or 7/10 at best.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:10 am 

Expedience wrote:
I can only suppose people don't like Melancholia because it's the only one with any semblance of optimism about it, not just "here, look how shit the world is" (although that is ~90% of the film too).

Then you would be wrong. It's really just kind of an empty movie and not a lot happens in it. Just way too protracted and dragged out. Dogville and Antichrist, meanwhile, didn't have even one wasted second and got the point across in a much better way. I get what Melancholia was going for but it didn't work very well. Not sure why you're assuming why people like or dislike things.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:34 am 

Hardcore Henry was amazingly ridiculous.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:38 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Expedience wrote:

Then you would be wrong. It's really just kind of an empty movie and not a lot happens in it. Just way too protracted and dragged out. Dogville and Antichrist, meanwhile, didn't have even one wasted second and got the point across in a much better way. I get what Melancholia was going for but it didn't work very well. Not sure why you're assuming why people like or dislike things.

Not wasting one second getting an over-intellectualized, gaudy point across isn't exactly a sign of merit.

I probably should rewatch Antichrist, but I'm not wasting another second discussing this man. He's never made anything more than an average work.

How in the fuck Dogville can be anyone's favorite movie with so many masterpieces of film out there is just mindblowing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:42 am 

I wouldn't say either one of those movies are favorites of mine necessarily, but your idea that people only don't like Melancholia because it's optimistic is just fucking stupid and wrong.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:06 am 

Empyreal, shhhhh, let Expedience and volutetheswarth fight it out. Maybe we'll get lucky and one will kill the other.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:16 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I wouldn't say either one of those movies are favorites of mine necessarily, but your idea that people only don't like Melancholia because it's optimistic is just fucking stupid and wrong.

Aren't you also assuming you know why people here dislike things? Keep in mind we're on a forum where I've seen countless bands disparaged for playing "pussy shit" if it shows anything other than absolute contempt and hatred for the world.

failsafeman wrote:
Empyreal, shhhhh, let Expedience and volutetheswarth fight it out. Maybe we'll get lucky and one will kill the other.

Oh I do hope it's me; at least I'd be saved from reading your extended discourses on mediocre computer games.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:32 am 

failsafeman wrote:

:lol: Touche. Good idea. Two birds and one stone and all that.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:36 am 

Just watched Lost Highway. Mostly excellent film, though it could've used a stronger hand with the editing. Also anyone who says this is not a horror movie is a big dumb poopy face.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:53 pm 

Expedience wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

Oh I do hope it's me; at least I'd be saved from reading your extended discourses on mediocre computer games.

It's not my fault they make such compelling reading that you can't help yourself!

iamntbatman wrote:
Just watched Lost Highway. Mostly excellent film, though it could've used a stronger hand with the editing. Also anyone who says this is not a horror movie is a big dumb poopy face.

Yeah, it's sloppy but really raw and powerful, like the whole thing just spilled right out of his subconscious. It feels like Lost Highway gets much deeper than most of his films into the darkness and insanity they all explore, with only Eraserhead giving it a run for its money.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:48 pm 

Melancholia was a fucking terrible movie. I've seen it twice and I don't know why I wasted that much of my life on it. Every single character is repulsive, and the only good thing that happens is that they all die. Unfortunately, that was the first von Trier movie I watched, and it almost put me off of him for good. I watched Europa last night and enjoyed it. It seems like he made better movies when he was younger. I read that someone gave him the advice not to fall into the trap that aging directors often fall into, in which their female actresses get younger and younger and nuder and nuder. His reaction, he said, was to do just that: make his female characters younger and younger and nuder and nuder. I'm surprised he's not directing Game of Thrones or some such drivel by now.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:05 pm 

3edgy5me

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:08 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
I'm surprised he's not directing Game of Thrones or some such drivel by now.

ALL HAIL EMPEROR EDGELORD

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 591, 592, 593, 594, 595, 596, 597 ... 818  Next