Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:53 pm 

I believe the most important question here is: Is the punk music actually good, or is it shitty shit?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:00 pm 

It takes up maybe three or four minutes of the whole movie. The movie's attitude is very punk, though. The whole thing reminded me of the climax of the first Rambo movie - lots of stealthy sneaking around and war-games action. But very bloody and gory like a horror film.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:18 am 

Deathgasm (2015) is a fun blend of Evil Dead and Metalocalypse. Most of the metal jokes are subtle, too, with only a handful being dependent on your actual knowledge of metal (a parody of that cheesy Immortal video). Very fun but nothing too memorable.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:26 am 

The 'Burbs - I thought this was pretty lame. Tom Hanks was an annoying jackass most of the time, and the movie wasn't suspenseful or funny. It even decided to get all preachy towards the end - then contradicted itself about a minute later.

Fright Night had a similar premise, came out a few years earlier, and was much better. I'd even take Disturbia over this.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:36 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
The 'Burbs - I thought this was pretty lame. Tom Hanks was an annoying jackass most of the time, and the movie wasn't suspenseful or funny. It even decided to get all preachy towards the end - then contradicted itself about a minute later.

Nah, The 'Burbs is great! Vintage 80s Tom Hanks. I'm not sure how you thought it got preachy, it's clearly a pretty silly movie.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:41 pm 

What're peoples thoughts on Tsukamoto's non-Tetsuo films? What about Miike's films other than Audition, Visitor Q, Ichi, and, Django?

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:17 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
ChineseDownhill wrote:

Nah, The 'Burbs is great! Vintage 80s Tom Hanks. I'm not sure how you thought it got preachy, it's clearly a pretty silly movie.

Agreed. It's not at all peachy, it's simply a "don't judge a book by it's cover, then something/something happens, silly comedy". As for comedy it's obviously not to your tastes, that doesn't mean it's not a funny movie, in fact you're the only person I've ever heard of who didn't get a laugh out of it and I've spoken to a great many who enjoyed it, as for suspense same deal, clearly there is an abundance of tension when Tom Hanks is in the neighbours yard and so on.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:39 pm 

I was looking for films in league with a favorite of mine, and was recommended Judgement Night with Denis Leary and Emilio Estevez. This is more like Daybreak or Cliffhanger than, say, Street Trash. I couldn't get through it. Very boring, ho hum, urban thriller supremely lacking in violence, sleaze, or hatred. The upside is that I recognized one of Leary's lines I'd heard in a true memphis rap classic.

I watched Plague of the Zombies. I've never liked Hammer and this is no exception. Droll period piece about voodoo. The visuals are nice, what with the 1860s village, grey cowl of doom, and zombies, but it takes forever with little payoff.

Savage Streets was alright. Rape revenge film, held up by some good scuzz, Linda Blair's and hot blond's titties, some macho gang homosexuality ( :love: ), crossbow action, tough guy malevolence, and a nice soundtrack with thumpin bass and drum machine. I'd read it was a Death Wish ripoff, but that's really not the case.

Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects was a nice late Bronson film. Within five minutes he is shoving a dildo up a perp's ass, directly mirroring the actions of his would-be other :metal: . The rest is racism, morality, bdsm, anti-prostitution, anti-crime, etc. Bronson's on the right side of the law in this one, but he's a bad cop, going beyond the scope of justice. The play of good and evil is fun in this one. Some great scenes, an interesting look at the fear of a Japanese (corporate) takeover in the late 80s, and a decent amount of pimpin' 'n hookin'.

***Does anyone know the name of the super bleak film about impending nuclear holocaust?***
Answer was Threads (1984)

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:52 pm 

WebOfPiss wrote:
I was looking for films in league with a favorite of mine, and was recommended Judgement Night with Denis Leary and Emilio Estevez. This is more like Daybreak or Cliffhanger than, say, Street Trash. I couldn't get through it. Very boring, ho hum, urban thriller supremely lacking in violence, sleaze, or hatred. The upside is that I recognized one of Leary's lines I'd heard in a true memphis rap classic.

The movie's more well-known for its soundtrack, but it's an enjoyable little mid-'90s actioner. A friend and I have a smoke-addled theory that Leary showed up drunk and angry on set and was legitimately hunting down the cast. It made it much more entertaining to us.

darkeningday wrote:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:05 pm 

WebOfPiss wrote:
This can be added to the fairy tale horror list: Beauty and the Beast

Just saw that one today and really enjoyed it. The atmosphere the plot brings along and acting were top notch.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:08 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
WebOfPiss wrote:

The movie's more well-known for its soundtrack, but it's an enjoyable little mid-'90s actioner. A friend and I have a smoke-addled theory that Leary showed up drunk and angry on set and was legitimately hunting down the cast. It made it much more entertaining to us.
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, he looks completely pissed on set like "who gave me this fucking bad character to play I wanna be one of the fucking partiers going to see a fucking boxing match smoking a box of fucking marlboros". All said with no pause and excessive swearing in true Leary fashion.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:05 pm 

Just watched Triple 9. I was expecting this to be just sort of a meh cop thriller, but it wasn't exactly that. I'd also heard that the movie was decent but hard to really like because it was difficult to really like any of the characters. That *is* a problem movies can suffer from, so I didn't have high expectations.

Thing is, though, this movie was just fucking bleak and nihilistic as FUCK. It kind of reminded me of some if the more hopeless Troma movies I've seen like Combat Shock or something, only utterly devoid of any detached "yeah it's a B-movie" tongue-in-cheek stuff that helps the viewer cope with really bleak shit like that. Basically everything about humanity and culture is utterly fucked, and not in the stereotypical "dirty but likable cops who neglect their families for their dedication to real JUSTICE, even if that means breaking the law" kind of way. There's really only one character like that in this movie and he's a total douchenozzle. Early on I kind of had mixed feelings about it because it was sort of cool mixed with all this violent bro shit, like some Call of Duty/Gears of War murder fantasy made into a movie, but later as you start to realize that you're not really supposed to be rooting for anyone in this flick it sorta became more enjoyable for its hatefulness.

Not sure how I feel about that non-ending, but whatever.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:17 pm 

I saw Captain America: Civil War last night. It was good, although I never saw The Winter Soldier so I think I was a little lost in parts. The movie as a whole was pretty enjoying. I like Downey Jr. as Iron Man - his sarcasm and (un)subtle wit is welcomed.

Spoiler: show
The fight scene with Spider Man and Ant Man was good, but man, they're really milking it trying to fit all these characters in one movie!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:41 pm 

They've been doing that forever in the comic books, so I wouldn't describe that as milking it but rather business as usual.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:35 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Just watched Triple 9. I was expecting this to be just sort of a meh cop thriller, but it wasn't exactly that. I'd also heard that the movie was decent but hard to really like because it was difficult to really like any of the characters. That *is* a problem movies can suffer from, so I didn't have high expectations.

Thing is, though, this movie was just fucking bleak and nihilistic as FUCK. It kind of reminded me of some if the more hopeless Troma movies I've seen like Combat Shock or something, only utterly devoid of any detached "yeah it's a B-movie" tongue-in-cheek stuff that helps the viewer cope with really bleak shit like that. Basically everything about humanity and culture is utterly fucked, and not in the stereotypical "dirty but likable cops who neglect their families for their dedication to real JUSTICE, even if that means breaking the law" kind of way. There's really only one character like that in this movie and he's a total douchenozzle. Early on I kind of had mixed feelings about it because it was sort of cool mixed with all this violent bro shit, like some Call of Duty/Gears of War murder fantasy made into a movie, but later as you start to realize that you're not really supposed to be rooting for anyone in this flick it sorta became more enjoyable for its hatefulness.

Not sure how I feel about that non-ending, but whatever.

Well it is a John Hillcoat film after all... he's not known for viewing any kind of authority through rose-coloured glasses.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:47 am 

MAX: lame ass family movie(seriously the promotional cover tricked me) 0.5/5

Dr. No: A great debut in the james bond films 4/5

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:31 pm 

I watched Krull again last night after not having seen it in a few years. I still love it. I understand the accusations that it's a Star Wars ripoff, but it stands up well on its own regardless. The 80s were such a great time for movies like this.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:15 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Green Room - Another killer flick from Jeremy Saulnier. Bloody, no-nonsense action movie with shitloads of suspense. Cool gore, fun characters and a really overall gritty, intriguing visual style. Really solid flick overall, I had a lot of fun with it.

Really, really good movie. Patrick Stewart becomes a better villain the more you let his character fester in your head, with his overall polite demeanor about everything making its impact that much more powerful. I'm glad it didn't go the typical Hollywood route for pacing of dramatic send-off's, either, as the frantic pacing of that second block just added to everything.

Imogen Poots as a skinhead chick...I think I found somebody to beat Fairuza Balk.

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:26 am 

^ Yeah, it was killer. I'll definitely see it again on DVD sometime.

Captain America: Civil War - Definitely one of the better recent Marvel flicks. Action packed and fun and visually gorgeous. The acting was excellent as per usual. The story had a lot of potential in the division of these heroes into factions, though I don't think it really went as far as it could - these movies always play it safe, and this one copped out with a pretty weak ending twist. But the ride to get there was fun. Spider-Man and Black Panther were great.

The more I think about it, they really didn't go into much of the "civil war" ideological conflicts at all - they didn't really even try. It was basically just a simple action/espionage flick like The Winter Soldier. As that it was good, but it seemed to be billed as this whole "pick a side" thing where you'd agree with one side or the other. But neither side was really saying or doing anything radical or interesting so much as just...fighting.

So as an action movie, yeah, good - though not so much if you wanted a real "civil war" concept beyond two sides just having Super Smash Bros-style fights, which were admittedly awesome.

Some of the biggest problems with this movie and their movies in general:

The whole thing was basically a Nazi plot. Rather than have any accountability for these characters' actions or admit that they have these vastly different ideologies, it was just Nazis controlling Bucky's mind and making him do the things that spurred the events of the movie. Neither Cap nor Iron Man is really "wrong" then because of this. Where they could've had a cool conflict of their ideologies, instead it just becomes a manhunt by the government for Bucky and Cap and some others just arbitrarily decide to save him because of personal connections. Super weak way to clean everything up and make it less morally complex, especially in the light of the marketing around the "choose a side" stuff.

To top that off, Marvel doesn't know how to write any drama beyond dead parents. Every character's motivation for doing anything drastic is because their parents were killed. Iron Man finds out Bucky killed his parents 25 years ago and the main villain, Zemo, is only doing any of this because the Avengers killed his parents or something. It's just boring and way too easy of a writing shortcut.

And honestly Bucky isn't a very interesting character to begin with, and as the movie goes on, it becomes more difficult to see why Cap is even bothering to try and save him beyond 'they were friends years ago.' They should have given him more of a character.

Slow West - Kind of a weird, artsy Western about a European kid going to save his girlfriend and her father who have fled to America after committing a crime in their homeland. Really well shot and nice looking movie, and the characters were cool. The pace was kind of rambling and free-form, and the movie just kind of shifted around without really hammering home on one direction. I thought this was a weird movie that definitely went its own way, zigging where everyone else zagged, though it wasn't quite totally compelling. It seemed to just end too soon right as things were getting interesting.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:08 am 

Yeah the comics go much more into the ideological stuff, but they basically handwave away all the big changes as soon as it's over, like they do with a lot of the big crossovers. World War Hulk for example trashes the shit out of Earth, leveling cities, undoubtedly killing tons of civilians, but as soon as the crossover ends it's like nothing happened.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:17 am 

I really hate that kind of shit. I've heard mixed things about the comics version of Civil War, and I would like to read it sometime. I know they retconned out a shitload of amazing Spider-Man stories I like, which sucks, but I have to admit that I'm curious anyway. The movie probably had the right idea by just doing away with the comics and trying for a new story, but I still wish it was a bit more challenging. But of course that's kind of a pipe dream with a movie this big and trying to appeal to everyone.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:23 pm 

Just watched 10 Cloverfield Lane. Goodman was really good, but wouldve been MUCH better, to me at least, if
they made it a 2, 2 and a half hour movie, with the first hour being in the bunker.The rest would be her being in Houston with an invasion.

But yeah, the title really implies that it's a sequel, even though it feels more like
a prequel to War of the worlds

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:55 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Just watched 10 Cloverfield Lane. Goodman was really good, but wouldve been MUCH better, to me at least, if
they made it a 2, 2 and a half hour movie, with the first hour being in the bunker.The rest would be her being in Houston with an invasion.

Can't argue there, but I think it was done well the way it was. :)

I saw Bad Neighbours 2 (called just Neighbors 2 in America, I think) last night. I thought it was funnier than the first one. The performances of everyone were on point and the jokes were unleashed quickly and smartly. Definitely worth seeing if you're into comedies.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:17 am 

MikeyC wrote:
I saw Bad Neighbours 2 (called just Neighbors 2 in America, I think) last night. I thought it was funnier than the first one. The performances of everyone were on point and the jokes were unleashed quickly and smartly. Definitely worth seeing if you're into comedies.

Can't wait to see that one, still love the first one. yeah I'm still super immature.

Last.fm

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:54 am 

I got about 20 minutes into the first Neighbors before tossing it like a frisbee (it was a burned disc). Adam Sandler-levels of cringe.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:02 am 

DeadXManiac wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Can't wait to see that one, still love the first one. yeah I'm still super immature.

Haha, me too. :D I thought it was funny and so did the rest of the cinema. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:55 pm 

Neighbours was dross, one of those "funny" movies that did not make me laugh one bit, like the hangover...

I watched the trailer for Our Kind of Traitor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwU7rbCrksY which made me look up A Most Wanted Man https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUyYBrlF_W8 which I really liked.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:21 pm 

Seth Rogen is the worst thing that's happened to comedy movies since Adam Sandler.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:58 pm 

aloof wrote:
Neighbours was dross, one of those "funny" movies that did not make me laugh one bit, like the hangover...

Comedies in general are pretty polarising, and that's cool, but I really liked it. I laughed from start to finish. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:12 pm 

I wouldn't say comedies are "generally" polarising... everyone laughs with Aeroplane, Faulty Towers, In the Loop, etc. it's just films like pineapple express, the hangover and neighbours only work for stoners :) don't deny it, you're australian :p

I watched The Conspiracy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0TqQhBeDP0 did not like. found footage films, and films on conspiracy theories, are defo polarising :D

Last edited by aloof on Sat May 14, 2016 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:16 pm 

Hey! As a pseudo-stoner I find that generalization highly offensive! :P
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:29 pm 

chillax, and pass the bong! :p

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:09 am 

Anyone seen the 80s comedy "Big Trouble" with Peter Falk? Saw it recently, one of those comedies that gets more absurd as it goes along with the protagonist being reluctantly dragged along for the ride. It doesn't seem to be highly regarded but I found it very entertaining. Underrated.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:04 am 

I didn't have the chance to watch one remotely interesting movie this year yet and that's why I would kindly ask you to recommend an interesting 2016 movie based on the following criteria:

- Please don't recommend a prequel, sequel or remake. I usually hate those.
- Please don't recommend a superhero movie. I usually hate those.
- Please don't recommend comedies or romances with famous comedians or pop stars. I usually hate those.
- I'm not looking for a movie that focuses on bombastic special effects in 3D.
- I'm looking for some good acting and a solid plot.

It would be nice if you had some suggestions. Thank you.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:37 am 

Crimson Peak? A most wanted man? Son of Saul?

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:57 am 

None of these movies is from 2016 but I will check out ''A Most Wanted Man'' and ''Son of Saul''. I already knew ''Crimson Peak'' which is an entertaining above average film. Thanks for your suggestions.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:44 am 

you're welcome, and sorries for not being up to date... I hate multiplexes, and the indies need much planning :(

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:57 pm 

The Family Fang is the best movie I've seen so far this year. It was a bit short, and the ending maybe not as good as it should've been, but I really, really liked this one. It was such a richly characterized movie, and the contrast between funny and dramatic was seamlessly woven. There was a lot of depth in this story about two grown children of eccentric artists/provocateur parents, and it didn't feel like there was a wasted second. Every scene just further established the characters and drama of these two adults (Jason Bateman and Nicole Kidman, both of whom are fantastic) trying to find their missing parents - the way the movie contrasts the two by showing their different reactions to the parents, with Kidman thinking they're faking their deaths and Bateman thinking it's real, is very well done. Christopher Walken as the father was fucking fantastic too. I wanted to see more of this than I got, which is always a good sign. Loved it.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:07 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I remember thinking American Beauty was pretty sappy at times, but the way it was told was just so good. It was a powerful, compelling movie and I enjoyed pretty much every minute of it.

Between that and House of Cards, Kevin Spacey really is just a powerhouse of an actor. He makes Frank in HoC so damned likable for a murdering sociopath.

Man, I watched American Beauty a couple weeks ago, and it was one of the best movies I've seen in a while. On the surface, the concept is very simple, but there is actually so much going on in it. Add to that Kevin Spacey's unreal acting, it's one of a kind.

Also, I can't picture Frank Underwood being played by someone other than Kevin Spacey. I can't say I enjoyed Season 3 as much as 1 and 2. Hopefully Season 4 will live up to the standards of the first 2.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:17 pm 

kluseba wrote:
I didn't have the chance to watch one remotely interesting movie this year yet and that's why I would kindly ask you to recommend an interesting 2016 movie based on the following criteria:

- Please don't recommend a prequel, sequel or remake. I usually hate those.
- Please don't recommend a superhero movie. I usually hate those.
- Please don't recommend comedies or romances with famous comedians or pop stars. I usually hate those.
- I'm not looking for a movie that focuses on bombastic special effects in 3D.
- I'm looking for some good acting and a solid plot.

It would be nice if you had some suggestions. Thank you.

Does The Hateful Eight count? It came out just before 2016, but it's an amazing movie.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 590, 591, 592, 593, 594, 595, 596 ... 818  Next