Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:12 pm 

Suicide Squad looks terrible, like really terrible. I wish I could say 'hard pass' with any sort of certainty but I'll probably end up seeing it cause I hate myself.

Really looking forward to the new Borne movie next weekend. Fuck. I can't even describe how excited I am for it.

Saw the new Ghostbusters today.... :ugh: I really don't like Melissa McCarthy and well I still don't, though her role was surprisingly downturned from what she's been doing lately. So that was at least good. The rest of the girls were ok, nothing special, which is just a shame because normally they're pretty damn funny. I think the highlight of the movie was definitely Hemsworth and the cameos from the original cast. The movie had loads of potential but like most reboots I felt that it followed the original plot way too heavily and was super damn predictable. I found it to drag on and on until about the last half hour. Missed the mark and potential hard on this one.

Tonight I'm going to see the 1968 Planet of the Apes in theater. I have no idea why it's being shown but it is and fuck if I'm going to miss out on seeing this on the big screen.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:37 pm 

Suicide Squad looks good. Most of the characters seem interesting and Leto's Joker in motion did not make my throat convulse like that first picture did. I'm not expecting a triple A movie but the trailer already entertained me more than any Avengers movie ever did. At least Suicide Squad exhibits some soul and quirkiness. I'm not getting a try hard Hot Topic vibe at all.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:20 pm 

Suicide Squad looks like 2005-era Myspace in movie form. From what I've been told of the source comic and just the idea in general, I'd be expecting just all out complete anarchy but we all know it won't be. It looks really hamfisted and stupid, pandering to an extremely specific demographic that I wasn't even aware was still a viable market to appeal to. Also the stories of them going back and reshooting segments as a direct response to the criticism of BvS tells me that they care and they're listening, but, call me cynical, but I'm sure they're going to somehow completely miss the point and fuck it up even worse and make it seem mega disjointed.

So yeah, absolutely no interest. It's one of those movies that had its fans the instant it was announced and I think nothing will change anybody's minds. Seems like most movies nowadays are like that, now that I think about it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:26 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
It's one of those movies that had its fans the instant it was announced and I think nothing will change anybody's minds. Seems like most movies nowadays are like that, now that I think about it.

Good point. It's the school of nostalgia pandering filmmaking that exists so people can go 'hey, I've wanted them to make this very specific story for years and now they'll finally do it.' I get it I guess, but I want something where I don't know what's going to happen and that isn't based on existing characters.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:41 pm 

Ok so after a google search I now get the Hot Topic accusation.... but it mostly seems to come from the visual advertising around the movie. The brightly colored cartoon skulls etc etc. Not the actual movie itself. I guess the Hot Topic demographic is the one you're talking about Bastardhead? I'm not getting any of that forced edginess cringe from the actual trailer itself though.

Maybe I'm just holding onto false hope for another actually fun comic book movie like Deadpool.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:30 pm 

Suicide Squad looks awesome

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:20 pm 

^Harley Quinn being made into Rob Zombie's wife.

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
I watched the animated adaptation of The Killing Joke last night. It was quite good overall, but the ending bothered me a bit.
Want to watch it but the animation and colouring looks godawful. I'd rather read the graphic novel.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:34 pm 

Suicide Squad - I'll see it when it's not ticket price.

Jason Bourne - Never been a fan of this series, I found more entertainment out of the first Taken than 3 Bourne movies combined. Damon just plays his stoic face and movie fu with barely a glimpse of emotion throughout and the shaky cam/close up fight scenes are always irritating. There's some government takedown of Bourne I assume we're meant care about but it's all inconsequential to a cartoon-esque superhuman.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:24 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
Ok so after a google search I now get the Hot Topic accusation.... but it mostly seems to come from the visual advertising around the movie. The brightly colored cartoon skulls etc etc. Not the actual movie itself. I guess the Hot Topic demographic is the one you're talking about Bastardhead? I'm not getting any of that forced edginess cringe from the actual trailer itself though.

Maybe I'm just holding onto false hope for another actually fun comic book movie like Deadpool.

VERY surprised they just didnt get Marilyn Manson for Joker. Not convinced on Leto yet. Hopefully it doesn't end up like The Expendables, where it it should easily be R, but its so geared towards teens, that its too goofy.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:15 pm 

I just watched a clip of Suicide Squad. I thought it looked terrible before, but now it looks unwatchable. Ugh.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:29 pm 

For some reason Will Smith seems out of place in that movie.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:57 pm 

Other than Will Smith as Deadshot, Suicide Squad looks awesome. I was a fan of the comic, in its early iteration before Harley Quinn even existed, and it just looks fun. Wasn't so sure about Leto's Joker but more and more I'm really liking the take on the character. If Will Smith could be someone other than Will Smith he would be better, but nothing is perfect.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:53 pm 

"The Sentinel" (horror) 1977

This was a pretty great film, in all honesty. It concerns a model who moves into a new apartment which turns out to be a gateway to hell. The film does a great job of holding back, to build up an extremely unsettling atmosphere, before it blasts you with some truly shocking imagery towards the end, after the gateway to hell opens. I have to admit that even I was fucking disturbed by the "demons" which swarm the protagonist, because they were presumably played by circus freaks & people with actual, horrendous deformities. Though perhaps a bit insensitive, I couldn't help but feel a surge of fright when the first one jumped out of the darkness. There is some ridiculous dialogue ("What do you twins do for a living?" "Well, we fondle each other"), but overall it's a very good film, a firm 8/10.

"Don't Look Now" (occult horror/thriller) 1973

Holy shit, this fucking film. The story follows a couple whose child dies, after which the wife moves to accompany the husband at his job (a contractor or something) in Italy, where he keeps on seeing his dead child (wearing a raincoat) in the distance, running through deserted parts of the city. The exact genre is hard to really pinpoint, as it's completely centered around the occult, but is much more "cerebral", approaching the viewer with a lot of really deep imagery rather than out-right scares. The atmosphere of the film isn't even particularly dark or unsettling, either...more dreamlike, I think. But despite that, anyone who has seen the film from beginning to end, will know why it is categorized as a "horror" or "thriller". I will rate the film a 9/10, as it's extremely effective and incredible well-shot and acted.

"Alice, Sweet Alice" (horror/slasher) 1976

This movie was Brooke Shields' first ever acting appearance, I believe, and she gets brutally murdered and set on fire (don't worry, not spoiling anything). The film is centered around the titular Alice, the mean-spirited and hateful sister of the incredibly kind and angelic Shields character, and after her murder, the finger is pointed at Alice. I'm not a huge "slasher" fan, but this was quite a good film, if not entirely perfect. Alice was a great character, and the actress did a great job portraying a child with severe behavioral problems, (yet somehow at the same time, somewhat likable). Most of the other characters came across as complete idiots, with the exception of the children's father, who is the only sensible character in the movie. The film's ending is actually pretty good, and hints at what would potentially be a cool sequel, but I don't think a sequel was ever made (and a remake/reboot would probably not work). I'd have to rate this a 7/10.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:33 am 

did someone delete their post on Baskin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9SfWmXQY3o ? :/ I recall someone saying it lacked a plot, and having just watched it, I have to more or less agree. probably the best occult-based horror film I've seen, however, as far as the imagery goes. whoever (of the four writers) is responsible for it, "gets it". the vertically-challenged aleister crowley was great, as were all the rest I won't mention to avoid spoilers...

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:54 am 

true_death wrote:

"Alice, Sweet Alice" (horror/slasher) 1976

This movie was Brooke Shields' first ever acting appearance, I believe, and she gets brutally murdered and set on fire (don't worry, not spoiling anything). The film is centered around the titular Alice, the mean-spirited and hateful sister of the incredibly kind and angelic Shields character, and after her murder, the finger is pointed at Alice. I'm not a huge "slasher" fan, but this was quite a good film, if not entirely perfect. Alice was a great character, and the actress did a great job portraying a child with severe behavioral problems, (yet somehow at the same time, somewhat likable). Most of the other characters came across as complete idiots, with the exception of the children's father, who is the only sensible character in the movie. The film's ending is actually pretty good, and hints at what would potentially be a cool sequel, but I don't think a sequel was ever made (and a remake/reboot would probably not work). I'd have to rate this a 7/10.

This movie was originally called Communion when i first watched it. And yes, it is a great horror/suspense movie.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:13 pm 

Scenic Route (2013)
Most of us have that one friend who we were practically attached at the hip to a decade ago. We always had each other's backs, partied together, could talk for hours about anything, and we made promises to each other and ourselves not to lose touch. Inevitably, we do, but that feeling of a missing connection nags at you on occasion. Carter (Dan Fogler) and Mitchell (Josh Duhamel) were these friends, and ten years later they find themselves on a road trip through the California desert when Carter's truck breaks down. Cut off from civilization and fighting a ticking clock, they're forced to confront each other's current positions in life as well as their own decisions.

This is far from a perfect film, and I wouldn't even call it great, but there's a very real sense of urgency to both their predicament and their arguments over life choices they've made. Carter, a homeless failed author, is mad at Mitchell for abandoning his musician dreams to settle down with his now-wife Joanne (Miracle Laurie), and Dan Fogler is perfect for the role, alternating between the kind of resentment that spawns from unfulfilled dreams (both his own and Mitchell's) and the "valve release" humor that stems from facing down death's door. Mitchell, locked in a passionless marriage and working a job that he admits spawns both suicidal and homicidal fantasies, accepts Carter's criticism but fires back with his own, and Josh Duhamel handles the character with a greater passion than he normally exudes, perfectly encapsulated by how quick he is to match Carter's ferocity while arguing only to slide to an apologetic tone when he realizes he's gone too far.

There's a good chunk of subtext here about the life of the creative mind as they progress from youthful vigor to sustainable indifference as responsibilities mount. Carter is the heart of the creator, his vision uncompromising and his plans poorly designed, while Mitchell is the logical doubt, putting aside his own desires for the betterment of his quality of life but yearning for some sort of fulfillment he knows he can't get. Their battles, verbal and physical, can be seen as an internal struggled brought to life: do I take the 9-5 and live in comfortable misery or do I follow my dreams knowing that I might only find comfort in my misery?

Were it not for a shoddy "twist" ending that can be predicted the moment it starts to unravel, I would have absolutely loved this movie. These are arguments I've had in my own head several times over, trying to find that happy balance between professional growth and some semblance of artistic integrity, and so the twist nullifies the emotional connection that I personally had with the two characters and bringing it back to being just another movie. 6/10

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:04 pm 

Really excited to see Suicide Squad when it comes out, definitely one of the coolest looking comic book movies in a while. I've been a fan of the paper comic series since the 90s, so this was a really cool surprise when I learned they'd be making it last year. \m/

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:13 pm 

the world's single most important, innovative, original and consistently brilliant director will be amazing us again shortly...

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:57 am 

Well, Split does sound more appealing than his other upcoming movie.

And that was the actress from The Witch in that trailer? Didn't recognize her at all with dark hair.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:36 am 

Split looks interesting but with Shyamalan at the helm I just can't see this being as good as it could be.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:12 am 

twist at the end: out of that guy's 23 identities, at least half are dead but don't know it, one is a superhero who gave it all up for a woman, one lives in a village that looks old but isn't, and the rest are airbenders in hiding.

NaCl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:57 am 

>Shyamalan

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:40 pm 

Yaaaay, for retarded scripts and stiff acting! Bring it ooooooooon.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:18 pm 

aloof wrote:
twist at the end: out of that guy's 23 identities, at least half are dead but don't know it, one is a superhero who gave it all up for a woman, one lives in a village that looks old but isn't, and the rest are airbenders in hiding.

...and it's all the doing of pissed-off trees.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:36 pm 

It has James McAvoy in it, as well as that girl from The Witch by the looks of it. Obviously Shyamalan is a hack, but those are both two very talented actors in my opinion...McAvoy in particular, I can't put my finger on why, but for some reason I've always really admired him and thought he was an excellent actor (even if I'm not always fond of his choice of roles). Even if the movie sucks (I mean, the trailer looks fine but you never know with M. Night), I look forward to seeing McAvoy portray this kind of character, even if it does appear to be a bit ridiculous & over the top by the looks of it.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:38 pm 

By the looks of it, it seems like McAvoy took the role as a well-paid excuse to ham it up without regrets, which is something that I can actually respect. If you know that the script you've been handled is bollocks, might as well make some lemonade out of the whole thing and have fun, right?

One has to wonder though..... Who actually likes Shamwow's movies? As in, genuinely, honest-to-goodness enjoys them. Where is this hidden demographic that allows his career to stay afloat? Because I never see anything but handfuls of shit and bile thrown his way. You'd figure that someone whose work is so universally reviled wouldn't be able to continue to cash in on it. Hell, I can even understand the popularity of Michael Bay's 'murican cumstains (they appeal to kids and kid-like adults), but Shyamalan's body of work is just puzzling in its inability to simply fade into obscurity.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:16 am 

As someone who has been pretty critical of Nu-Trek, the latest one is actually alright. A few scenes channel classic Trek pretty well, though it still has some really annoying tendencies.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:01 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
One has to wonder though..... Who actually likes Shamwow's movies? As in, genuinely, honest-to-goodness enjoys them. Where is this hidden demographic that allows his career to stay afloat? Because I never see anything but handfuls of shit and bile thrown his way. You'd figure that someone whose work is so universally reviled wouldn't be able to continue to cash in on it. Hell, I can even understand the popularity of Michael Bay's 'murican cumstains (they appeal to kids and kid-like adults), but Shyamalan's body of work is just puzzling in its inability to simply fade into obscurity.
well a ton of people went and saw The Visit, that's why he's here with another movie as that was considered popular and a big successful movie.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:24 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
As someone who has been pretty critical of Nu-Trek, the latest one is actually alright. A few scenes channel classic Trek pretty well, though it still has some really annoying tendencies.

I just saw it then. I thought this one was better than the other two. It's a fairly bombastic movie but I liked it. Idris Elba was outstanding.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:23 pm 

@volutetheswarth; well, yeah, but that doesn't answer my question, because The Visit was complete bollocks.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:48 pm 

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is, surprisingly, not rubbish. I expected a comedy, but it's more of a drama. Not gonna go into details, but it's worth a watch.

Not really relevant, but Tina Fey seems to think she's not pretty, which I don't understand.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:14 pm 

Man, this was the sequel that just was BEGGING to get made!

Spoiler: show
Said no one ever.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:18 pm 

I fucking love Bad Santa so much. Easily one of my favorite movies ever.

"I'm on my fucking lunch break!"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:24 pm 

Yeah, Bad Santa is so great. Exactly my kind of humor. Dunno about a sequel, but eh, with a movie that dark and unique and funny maybe I wouldn't mind. Depends how well it's written I suppose.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:31 pm 

I actually didn't like Bad Santa, but the end of that trailer is really funny. He says exactly what I was thinking.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:04 pm 

@Xlxlx you must have grand naivety if you don't think mass audiences don't just lap up terrible soulless things, especially anything concerning modern horror or found footage. There's no big secret, even some people in this thread see a movie based not on the script or director but solely on the actor or actress, that alone answers your question.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:07 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Yeah, Bad Santa is so great. Exactly my kind of humor. Dunno about a sequel, but eh, with a movie that dark and unique and funny maybe I wouldn't mind. Depends how well it's written I suppose.
Dumb and Dumber To really soured my taste in anticipating 'actually good' comedy sequels, more often good comedic movies seem to be lightning in a bottle.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:50 am 

rexxz wrote:
I fucking love Bad Santa so much. Easily one of my favorite movies ever.

"I'm on my fucking lunch break!"

:lol: So good.

Bad Santa was a great movie but I don't think it really needed a sequel. I might see this one but I won't expect anything awesome.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:46 am 

I remember renting Bad Santa and telling a friend who loves Christmas movies that it really isn't a Christmas movie and that he'd hate it. So he ended up renting it and complained about it. :roll:

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:00 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Dumb and Dumber To really soured my taste in anticipating 'actually good' comedy sequels, more often good comedic movies seem to be lightning in a bottle.

I thought Dumnb and Dumber To was a good sequel.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 605, 606, 607, 608, 609, 610, 611 ... 818  Next