Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:24 pm 

That one at least tried to be funny instead of super grimdark serious, but eh, I dunno if I'd watch it again.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:28 pm 

I thought it was decent when I watched it. Bobcat Goldthwait still has a much better movie under his belt with World's Greatest Dad thought.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:20 pm 

God Bless America was good up into halfway, then it lost whatever balls and point it was making and just meandered into a tonally everywhere drama with sporadically likeable main characters. Felt more or less the same about World's Greatest Dad. Bob Goldthwait plays his best card too early and the rest is a largely forgettable affair.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:29 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Bobcat Goldthwait still has a much better movie under his belt with World's Greatest Dad thought.

And some truly heinous stand-up. Holy fuck.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:39 pm 

World's Greatest Dad works better for me because it feels like the main character is more of a real person than the main character in God Bless America. Helps that Robin Williams gave one of his best performances ever in that movie.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:03 am 

Empyreal wrote:
That one at least tried to be funny instead of super grimdark serious, but eh, I dunno if I'd watch it again.

Problem there was that it was the masturbatory, "look how dark and witty we are!" humor that ends up just as annoying as grimdarkery, at least in my book. Not surprised a lot of redditors apparently liked that movie. (Don't worry Emp, I'm not lumping you in with such a crowd. :P )

I had more fun watching Rampage as a take on the "disenfranchised everyman gets bloody revenge on humanity" trope, and when an Uwe Boll movie is better than any other movie, something is really fucked.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:15 am 

Postal (NC-17 Director's Cut, not the unrated or R cut which suck), Rampage and especially STOIC are excellent fucking movies, I'll never understand the Boll hate. Assault on Wall Street was decent too.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:27 am 

Rampage is shockingly great up until the ending, which fucks the entire rest of the movie up. Still, everything from the start of the movie up until the last 5 minutes is damn near brilliant. All the more amazing that it's coming from Uwe Boll of all people.

The Uwe Boll hate comes from a perfect storm of him making magnificently terrible movie after magnificently terrible movie, most of them being video game adaptations, and the fact that he's just a complete dickwad of a person. He actually just recently announced in a profanity laden Youtube video that he's quitting film making forever because his various Kickstarter campaigns have failed miserably. Gee, I wonder why?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:39 am 

Subrick wrote:
Rampage is shockingly great up until the ending, which fucks the entire rest of the movie up.

Only in the German cut of the film, where it said "Bill Williamson was caught and sentenced to death!" at the end. What was wrong with the American ending? I loved it. Was a great final twist and ended the movie perfectly so as to have no room for sequel... which it unfortunately got :-/.

Even his "bad" movies really aren't all that bad if you've watched a lot of schlock. Sure, Bloodrayne and In The Name of the King really can be hard to watch in spots, but House of the Dead and Alone in the Dark were actually pretty funny. Blackwoods was sort of good too.

I don't get all the hate. There's way worse directors who are way more successful.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:52 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Subrick wrote:
Rampage is shockingly great up until the ending, which fucks the entire rest of the movie up.

Only in the German cut of the film, where it said "Bill Williamson was caught and sentenced to death!" at the end. What was wrong with the American ending? I loved it. Was a great final twist and ended the movie perfectly so as to have no room for sequel... which it unfortunately got :-/.
Unfortunately I'm inclined to agree with Darkeningday.
Spoiler: show
The ending where he gets away with it was the perfect fuck you to Hollywood endings. Something 'The Town' and countless other crime movies should have attempted to try.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:08 am 

darkeningday wrote:

I don't get all the hate. There's way worse directors who are way more successful.

Goddamit, now I want a reality TV show were a billionaire gives bad B-grade and Z-grade directors and tells them to make a big budget movie.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:43 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Problem there was that it was the masturbatory, "look how dark and witty we are!" humor that ends up just as annoying as grimdarkery, at least in my book. Not surprised a lot of redditors apparently liked that movie. (Don't worry Emp, I'm not lumping you in with such a crowd. :P )

It was on the line of that kind of thing for sure, so I get it.

Watched The Sound of My Voice last night - pretty cool, unique flick. It was quiet and strange and a bit eerie, but also beautiful in its way. It told this story about a couple of amateur journalists trying to infiltrate this cult to expose it, but they end up getting sucked in. It talks about the human need for connection and comfort in a very subtle, deft way, and the main guy is fascinatingly flawed. I thought it lacked a big hook or a good climax, and overall it never really hit me deep - but it wasn't that kind of movie, and as a more subtle drama/thriller, it worked. Maybe 3.5/5.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:44 am 

PDS wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

Goddamit, now I want a reality TV show were a billionaire gives bad B-grade and Z-grade directors and tells them to make a big budget movie.

For that to really work they'd have to play it subtly, like that one reality show where they took terrible singers who were clueless enough to be convinced they were good, then ended with the "worst" winning. Otherwise it'd be too easy for people in on the joke to join up and make something self-awarely terrible.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:53 am 

In that case, just make a documentary series about James Nguyen (the guy who made Birdemic) getting $100 million and carte blanch to make whatever he wants.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:59 am 

No. Fuck him. Tommy Wiseau is literally the only director who should get that money and complete creative control. Like, he needs to be isolated from his outside contacts though - because the "comedy" he tried to make is abysmal, whereas his drama was just so fantastic and genuine. The Birdemic guys are just like, "hah, what a funny movie this will be"

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:02 pm 

Yeah, rewatching The Room again and reading The Disaster Artist really changed how I saw that movie, despite all the 'worst movie ever' hype. It's incredibly fascinating.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:02 pm 

Well the thing with Birdemic, specifically Birdemic 2, was that the actors got why everyone loved the first movie and therefore played it self-aware, but Nguyen himself was completely oblivious to it. That makes Birdemic 2 an extremely bizarre watch for completely different reasons from the first movie.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:50 pm 

Saw Predator: Dark Ages short film. Damn good for a movie fan!! With a larger bugdet that guy could make a great Predator movie.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:14 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
No. Fuck him. Tommy Wiseau is literally the only director who should get that money and complete creative control. Like, he needs to be isolated from his outside contacts though - because the "comedy" he tried to make is abysmal, whereas his drama was just so fantastic and genuine. The Birdemic guys are just like, "hah, what a funny movie this will be"

The first Birdemic was just as genuine as The Room. This was not the case with Birdemic 2.

Empyreal wrote:
Yeah, rewatching The Room again and reading The Disaster Artist really changed how I saw that movie, despite all the 'worst movie ever' hype. It's incredibly fascinating.

The Disaster Artist was mostly fiction with sprits of embellished truth here and there for effect.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:50 pm 

It got me to look at things about it in a different light than I had before. I didn't really care what was true in that book or not.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:06 pm 

Any David Foster Wallace fans around here? That new biopic on him, End of the Tour, is getting rave reviews but I still feel really uncomfortable about watching it. I'm a huge Foster Wallace fan and I know he would have been vehemently opposed to a movie about his life, not to mention his agent and family didn't give the film their blessing. The trailer also just kind of reeks of Hollywood cheese. If anyone's seen it, though, I'd be interested to hear some thoughts, especially if you're familiar with the man/his work.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:34 am 

Finally watched Interstellar. It surprised me in that I neither liked nor disliked it. Droned on for fucking ever, looked gorgeous, had absolutely nothing new to say, went about its obscenely pretentious story in a disarmingly unpretentious way. It could've been a fantastic 90 minute sci-fi movie.

Speaking of fantastic 90 minute sci-fi movies, Ex Machina. Fuck yes. So good. Agreed that it's one of the best sci-fi films in years... even if it awkwardly decided to share the lead actor from the Black Mirror episode that was eerily similar to it and came out a year before Ex Machina was even made. Hmmm.

Charlie Brooker just needs to write a fucking sci-fi movie already, dammit. Although I guess that special he did with Jon Hamm sort of already was one. He needs to do another!

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:23 pm 

^ I wholeheartedly agree with this post! Interstellar is totally mediocre and Ex Machina is fucking amazing. I remember being really excited going into Interstellar because my McConaughey hard on was at an all-time high right after True Detective and the trailers made it look like a really intriguing sci-fi flick, but really, it was just flat out boring. Not even one cool action sequence sticks in my mind. It was kind of like Nolan combined two different scripts to make one long winded movie: one about astronauts going on this crazy mission to find more resources for humanity, and a sappy bullshit one about a father's relationship with his daughter, blah blah blah.

Anyway, I loved everything about Ex Machina (pretty sure I've already gushed about it in this thread). It actually didn't register with me that Domhnall Gleeson's character was really similar to his character from that Black Mirror episode. I had just seen Frank before Ex Machina, which I liked him in. He's a really good actor. Some of my friends had the minor complaint that his performance was "too boring" in Ex Machina, but I think that's kind of the point of his character. He's sort of the relatable, naive voice of reason next to Oscar Isaac's mad scientist. I'm looking forward to seeing both of them in Episode VII.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:14 pm 

Yeah, Ex Machina was amazing. My favourite movie of 2015, off the top of my head.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:20 pm 

Ex Machina is definitely up there for me this year. Really weird, cool sci fi with lots of other stuff mixed in - super tense, suspenseful moments, a bit of romance here and there...really interesting blend, and the story never went where I expected it to. Seemed to have a lot to say, too. Will be interesting to see it again.

Interstellar was great though, with wonderful visuals, some good acting and a great plot about human exploration and the Earth's resources that asked questions like any good sci fi is supposed to. Plus the father/daughter story was just breathtakingly good. I probably liked both about the same. Interstellar was a more grand, epic adventure, where Ex Machina was the more quiet, intricate and eerie kind of sci fi - two very different niches and I liked both.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:11 pm 

Finally got around to watching Fury. No wonder the Germans lost, by this point in the war they were resorting to putting retards in charge of tanks and the SS was full of myopic teenagers.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:49 am 

Did anybody get a chance to see Dope? I wanted to check that one out, but it fell off my radar when it was in theaters.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:18 am 

chaossphere wrote:
Finally got around to watching Fury. No wonder the Germans lost, by this point in the war they were resorting to putting retards in charge of tanks and the SS was full of myopic teenagers.

:lol:

I just saw the trailer for Sicario. I'd be really disappointed if the movie isn't as good as the bad ass poster

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:43 am 

Fuck yeah. Mexican border drug wars, Benicio Del Toro most likely being even more of a cunt than he was in Savages, and same director as Prisoners. Sold.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:54 am 

chaossphere wrote:

While the writing was really lazy, relying on old, tried and true(?) 'truisms' and lazy moral lessons, I found the battle sections to be very engaging - other than the last fight and the intro sequence, both again very dumb and lazy - and well-executed. Just wish they'd done more tank battles, but I suppose that's now what most viewers look for in movies.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:44 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
While the writing was really lazy, relying on old, tried and true(?) 'truisms' and lazy moral lessons, I found the battle sections to be very engaging - other than the last fight and the intro sequence, both again very dumb and lazy - and well-executed. Just wish they'd done more tank battles, but I suppose that's now what most viewers look for in movies.

Yeah for all David Ayer's supposed insistence on realism, he deliberately wrote some really weird stuff into the story that was just overtly unbelievable. The tank battles were definitely great, especially because they used 100% authentic working tanks, including the only remaining functional Tiger - no faking with CGI at all. They even had Michael Pena driving the Fury tank most of the time.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:02 pm 

chaossphere wrote:
Fuck yeah. Mexican border drug wars, Benicio Del Toro most likely being even more of a cunt than he was in Savages, and same director as Prisoners. Sold.

Prisoners was great but his next film, Enemy, was just all kinds of shitty. Most annoying pseudo-arthouse movie I've seen since Stoker and while it wasn't quite THAT bad (because really, you'd actually have to try to write worse dialog than Wentworth Miller) it was still unmitigated dogshit. Spoiler-but-not-really-so-I'm-not-putting-it-in-tags alert: the whole movie is about Jake Gyllenhaal dealing with unresolved emotions within his subconscious as the director openly admitted. Stay the fuck away.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:13 pm 

Nah, Enemy was great. Really fascinating stuff. I found the mood and atmosphere striking. Really creepy, uneasy feel throughout and it just worked really well. It didn't come off as pretentious or any kind of pseudo anything to me, just this bizarre acid-trip-like experience. It was pure feeling and atmosphere - one of the most immersive films I've seen the last year or two. Story, yeah, a bit simple when you get down to it, but the way it's all told is incredible.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:49 pm 

Wow, Sicario does look badass. I didn't see Enemy, but I loved Prisoners. Looks pretty similar to The Counselor, which I thought was an incredibly underrated movie.

I saw Mr. Holmes recently, which I enjoyed. Nothing really worth raving about, but it's a really well done, low key movie. Literally couldn't be more different than the shitty Robert Downy Junior Sherlock Holmes movies, thankfully. Really great performance from Ian McKellen, as always.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:24 am 

Southpaw sucked ass and was boring. Not worth seeing even if you really like boxing movies.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:22 am 

^ Read a lot of reviews that Jake Gyllenhaal's acting is the only good thing about Southpaw. Not a fan of the Sons of Anarchy writer or director Antoine Fuqua.

Also Empyreal is right and Darkeningday is wrong, Enemy is excellent.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:24 am 

Antoine Fuqua is a damn good director but his skill set seems wasted on a boxing film. He's more suited to stuff like King Arthur, Olympus Has Fallen, and The Equalizer, since he's mainly good at staging extremely brutal action violence with borderline excessive squib spray. Although I guess Training Day didn't have much of that. I found Brooklyn's Finest extremely dull though, and that's probably the closest thing he's done to Southpaw in terms of not being a fast-paced action flick.

Last edited by chaossphere on Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:32 am 

Jake Gyllenhaal has gotten really fuckin good, though. I just watched Nightcrawler recently, and his performance is just amazing.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:05 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Jake Gyllenhaal has gotten really fuckin good, though. I just watched Nightcrawler recently, and his performance is just amazing.

He's up there with Daniel Day Lewis now. He was never terrible but 5 years ago he was almost auto-pilot acting and trying to be some bankable Hollywood action movie star. I think something clicked when he was making End of Watch, possibly when hanging around with actual cops imitating them for as long as he did.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:22 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Nah, Enemy was great. Really fascinating stuff. I found the mood and atmosphere striking. Really creepy, uneasy feel throughout and it just worked really well. It didn't come off as pretentious or any kind of pseudo anything to me, just this bizarre acid-trip-like experience. It was pure feeling and atmosphere - one of the most immersive films I've seen the last year or two. Story, yeah, a bit simple when you get down to it, but the way it's all told is incredible.

Watch Cronenberg's Spider and Glazer's Birth instead. Enemy along with Black Swan and maybe Revolver fall into the same bin, i.e. the garbage bin. Preposterously pretentious movies that fail at both compelling, well-written storytelling and, perhaps more egregiously, fail as allegory for the psychological conditions they're supposedly trying to convey, since they're all based on bullshit pseudo-intellectual pop psych that even Psychology Today would be embarrassed to print. Even fuckin' Identity did a better job than any of those 3, and that had John Cusak in it.

failsafeman wrote:

Deeply flawed (the movie was predicated on being "realistic" but literally no news or police agency in the entire United States would work like that), but it ended up being pretty decent simply because Gyllenhaal was so goddamned good in it. Honestly though, he's always been at least good.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 542, 543, 544, 545, 546, 547, 548 ... 818  Next