Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:34 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Bone Tomahawk is actually the most metal movie out there, not The Revenant. It reminded me of old 70s and 80s horror films but updated with a sort of awareness of what the cool parts were, so it accentuated them. I don't know if it needed to be over two hours, and maybe the first two acts were a bit long-winded. But I was never bored, and the climax was fucking bone-chilling, stark, brutal horror/western goodness. Loved it. The Revenant was a better movie, but for pulp, hardcore horror, this is first rate shit.

It even made me cringe, particularly when
Spoiler: show
the guy get split in half

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:16 pm 

Hehe. I should've added emphasis on "Bear" Grylls.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:05 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Bone Tomahawk is actually the most metal movie out there, not The Revenant. It reminded me of old 70s and 80s horror films but updated with a sort of awareness of what the cool parts were, so it accentuated them. I don't know if it needed to be over two hours, and maybe the first two acts were a bit long-winded. But I was never bored, and the climax was fucking bone-chilling, stark, brutal horror/western goodness. Loved it.
Glad to hear you liked it Emp, I personally like the duration of the film because it really feels like an arduous and realistic journey, plus it adds to the final act so well, you care about the characters or at least can understand them well. Yeah I definitely got an updated retro vibe from the movie, a well crafted slow burn of a film.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:11 am 

Yeah, the characters and writing were really good. They made them relatable without getting away from the main plot or falling back on old cliche - they just gave them really cool, funny dialogue. It was good to get to know the characters in a horror flick in a more in depth manner.

That old guy had some pretty emotional dialogue near the end, and I was like yeah, he's gonna die soon. But then he was one of the survivors. I don't know if that was subverting cliche but I didn't expect it from what these movies/shows usually do.

Watching Goodnight Mommy tonight, can't wait. Looks fucking great.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:57 am 

Turbo Kid (2015)
I don't even know where to begin with this one. There's no one opening line for a review that can fully realize my reaction while watching this or the impression it left on me after. There's no strong message here, nothing you haven't really seen before (or done better), no truly remarkable performance...but holy hell, the sum is greater than all of its parts, and I haven't felt this happy after watching a movie in a long time.

In the distant future year of 1997, the Kid (Munro Chambers) is an orphaned survivor of a post-apocalyptic wasteland obsessed with the pre-apocalypse comic book hero Turbo Rider, drifting into the path Zeus (Michael Ironside), a tyrannical ruler of the wasteland, and becoming entangled in his war with Frederic (Aaron Jeffrey) for control of untainted water supplies. Along his journey, he meets Apple (Laurence Laboeuf), an all-too-chipper girl who only wants to be his best friend.

Every element of this movie breathes life into classic '80s schlock tropes, from the plot to the pacing issues to the out-of-place and over-the-top gore effects. The costume design, the post-apocalyptic world and how alive it feels, and even the performances...they all come together, mediocre or bad on their own but gloriously entertaining as a whole. Apple, initially an incredibly annoying character, grows on you as she does to the Kid, with their relationship becoming a central force that moves much of the plot around. The gore, outrageously hammy and slapstick, serves its purpose and reminds you that, yes, this could have been a fun kid's movie but, no, it's for the inner child trapped inside the curmudgeon that grew up on the movies this serves as a loving mockery and celebration of.

I'm not going to spoil anything. I'm not going to give away major details. You'll know everything that's going to come at you a few scenes before it does, but the key here is that you're going to want it all to happen. The cast is perfect together, the soundtrack is spectacular, and the limited locations only add to the feel. 8.5/10

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:55 pm 

I'm watching The Human Centipede 3 (Final Sequence) right now.

This is like watching a terrible car crash where everyone gets mangled and babies are run over and whatnot. It's terrible and disgusting and fucking awful, but you cannot turn away for whatever reason. It's enthralling and absolutely essential watching for every wrong reason you can possibly imagine.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:05 pm 

Finally saw Creed. I had low expectations but hell, it's DAMN GOOD. Even Adonis was believable. The movie has excellent pace and Stallone gave one of his best performances. The script was good as well and the fights nice, although the final was predictable. I hope Stallone wins an award or something with this.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:00 am 

It's still hard for me to believe all three Human Centipedes were directed by the same guy. I think the first one, even with its gimmicky premise, is a competently made horror movie. Then I hated pretty much everything about the sequel: the pointless black & white, the mostly mute villain, the addition of too many "segments" in the chain, preventing us from focusing on a small number of victims like in the original. Part 3 wasn't as atrocious as part 2, IIRC, but he should have quit after one movie.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:53 am 

The first one is definitely the best of the bunch as a movie (even though it's only like a 6 out of 10), but I prefer the 2nd one solely due to the violence quotient and gore effects. This third one however is so fucking terrible, yet so amazingly funny at the same time, that I'm still a little buzzed an hour after it ended. I guaran-fucking-tee you that Dieter Laser was drunk off his ass during the filming of this movie, and it's clear that Tom Six just let him do whatever he wanted to do on camera.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:50 pm 

Goodnight Mommy was quite well done. Really good, eerie build up, some good gore and just a simple, straight shot, no bullshit twist at the end. Very solid. Too bad some American music video director will be hired to ruin it for a remake in two years, if other such movies are an indication.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:34 pm 

Regression. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3319920/ the trailer makes it look promising, and I got suck(er)ed in... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pBwIsVGaL4 but it's not worth it. trivia fans may want to know that there's a Behemoth poster in it, to add to the satanic theme. lmao.

Time Lapse. www.imdb.com/title/tt2669336/ is a decent time travel movie, but not really recommended/anything special.

and they both share a plot twist similar to Gone Girl.

Valfars Ghost
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:19 pm 

I saw Hail Caesar! last night. Weirdly disappointing. As Empyreal once said about Meliora, this movie is like opening an empty birthday present. The sideplots have no bearing on anything and the whole movie leads up to nothing. Most of it also managed to be neither fun nor funny.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:30 pm 

Valfars Ghost wrote:
The sideplots have no bearing on anything and the whole movie leads up to nothing.

Well to be fair, that's part of the exact reason The Big Lebowski is so funny. I don't have sky high hopes or anything but your description is pretty in line with the Coen brothers.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:45 pm 

Hail Caesar was pretty good from what I could tell - lots of funny stuff going on, really great cast and some great old school setpieces and atmospheres. Unfortunately I fell asleep for some parts of the last half - chalk it up to being non stop busy every day for pretty much the last week. Luckily I only paid $5 for the ticket, so I can probably go see it again and give a real review.

Valfars Ghost
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:08 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Valfars Ghost wrote:
The sideplots have no bearing on anything and the whole movie leads up to nothing.

Well to be fair, that's part of the exact reason The Big Lebowski is so funny. I don't have sky high hopes or anything but your description is pretty in line with the Coen brothers.

True, but with Big Lebowski and Inside Llewyn Davis, it feels like its supposed to lead to nothing. The nothing is weirdly satisfying because in their own ways, they come around full circle. In Hail Caesar, it just kind of feels like there's a few scenes that were supposed to be at the end of the movie that they forgot to put in.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:35 am 

I liked Hail Caesar! I wouldn't call it one of the better Coens movie, but often I like their movies more the second or third time I see them. I'd definitely see this one again because it's typically pretty bizarre, and maybe more of it would click. Certain scenes felt really classic Coen bro's, but as a whole I wouldn't call the movie a classic Coens movie, yet.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:52 am 

I'm happy with leading to nothing, Coens fans are fucking obnoxious, sounds like there's fun scenes, sounds good to me.

doc Regula69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:09 am 

Just watched:
The Tribe (2014)

Holy freaking shit. Has anyone else seen this?
I haven’t been blown away by a movie in a while, and it really feels good. This movie is entirely acted/written in sign language, no subtitles, and I know that might sound like a huge gimmick but man, it took it to a whole other level.
The story takes place in a really crappy Ukranian boarding school for the deaf and mute. We mainly follow this quiet but burly new kid as he enters the prevalent crime world in this school. As you could expect, shit turns sour, but I won’t say anymore cuz you really have to see this movie for yourselves.

Like I said, this really could’ve been a gimmick but it isn’t, because everything about the movie is so raw. It’s all very realistic, so there’s really no room for bullshit in this basically lol. And yet it all flows really well, the pacing is incredible. And I mean, I don’t understand sign language at all but it’s really not hard to pick up on what the actors (who are all great) are saying. The gestures give a whole other dimension of violence to the dialogue. Every scream and punch rings out even louder.
And also the whole movie is beautiful. AMAZING long scenes and fixed camera shots.

So yeah if you’re into tragic movies with a bunch of cold, unforgiving, pimpin & robbin, sweatpants-wearing Ukrainian teens being bout dat life, I strongly suggest you watch this.
9.5/10
Yup, STR8 UP. I don’t see why it wouldn’t deserve any less, this movie was pretty much flawless to me.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:26 am 

"Wow, Deadpool looks like a flop, doesn't it? Ryan 'The Green Lantern' Reynolds as another third tier superhero, plus a first time director? And it's rated R, and is being dumped in theaters in February? Zoolander 2 will - aw heck, Gigli 2 would probably be a bigger hit."

At least, that's what I was thinking a couple weeks ago. But apparently Deadpool is really good and is going to make serious money this weekend. Anybody going?

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:17 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
"Wow, Deadpool looks like a flop, doesn't it? Ryan 'The Green Lantern' Reynolds as another third tier superhero, plus a first time director? And it's rated R, and is being dumped in theaters in February? Zoolander 2 will - aw heck, Gigli 2 would probably be a bigger hit."

At least, that's what I was thinking a couple weeks ago. But apparently Deadpool is really good and is going to make serious money this weekend. Anybody going?

Saw it last night and the showings before the one I went to were sold out(from what Ive read online, lots of them were). Mine had to have been at least 80% full. Definetely a hard R and really refreshing to see a hard R in theaters, with all the pg-13 movies we keep getting. The blu ray will be even bigger, as it'll be unrated.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:22 pm 

I saw Deadpool today, just got home, yeah definitely a hard R rating. Probably the strongest R I've seen in a long time. Fantastic movie though and I highly recommend seeing it if you like this kind of stuff. Really funny too which I was extremely happy to see, glad they kept true to his character.

I was fucking appalled at the amount of children in the movie though. Like what in the blue fuck are parents thinking brining 8-10 year old kids to a movie like that?? :grr: :nono:

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:53 pm 

That's dumb. Thankfully, people here seem to understand that age ratings exist for a reason, so I expect no kids once I go see it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:52 pm 

Ant-Man was a piece of shit. Just generic cliche out the ass every time. Paul Rudd's comedy was just him being awkward and waiting for a laugh track that never came, and the side characters he hung out with were stereotypes so shallow they were just empty pools. The woman lead was super generic stoic-tough-chick who, hey, can't be sexist because she knows how to fight, right? Michael Douglas was completely wasted. The story was every garbage cliche ever and had zero surprises or real humanity to it - hey, we're still doing the 'you left me so now I have daddy issues' trope in 2015, complete with awful sad orchestrations to tell you how to feel. Fuck this.

The action was fine but when everything else around it is so bad, it wasn't worth it.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:56 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Ant-Man was a piece of shit. ...
The action was fine but when everything else around it is so bad, it wasn't worth it.

That is .. EXACTLY how I felt, and I only watched half of it. wasn't worth finishing.

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
I was fucking appalled at the amount of children in the movie

Probably didn't know much about what they were getting into. Comic book movies are pretty all-ages these days. Then again, if they don't really know what an R rating is, then .. problems I can't fix.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:22 am 

Ant Man was super boring. I'm reminded of a review of the new Fantastic 4 that said the movie had no middle; I felt the same way about Ant Man, although obviously it wasn't as much of a train wreck.

I enjoyed Hail Caesar a lot. Definitely reminded me a lot of Burn After Reading, so if you enjoyed that you'll enjoy this.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:29 am 

Why are people all of a sudden so concerned about children getting into R-rated movies? I swear, with as much 'don't take your kids to see Deadpool!' talk as I've seen, you'd think it was the first movie ever made that wasn't suitable for people under the age of 42.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:15 am 

I think it's because parents who don't pay attention see "Marvel film" and assume it's kid-friendly like all the other Marvel movies. I know a mom who took her kid and a bunch of his friends to Deadpool and was surprised (to say the least) about the content, whereas I've never known anybody who accidentally took their eight year old son to This Is The End.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:33 am 

Saw Deadpool in the weekend. It's not a generic Marvel movie, but it is pure awsome and really innovative.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:28 am 

Deadpool was solid but should've had a lot more cartoonish over-the-top violence, the kind that Sam Raimi and Peter Jackson cut their teeth on or that Paul Verhoeven made memorable movies with. Imagine the violent gags from Turbo Kid done with Deadpool and you have what the movie really should have been. All in all, it was still a very enjoyable movie, and there's room for improvement on the inevitable sequels (since $260 million international opening weekend is nothing to sneeze at), but I was hoping for something else. I'll probably see it a second time now that preconceptions are gone.

darkeningday wrote:

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:29 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Deadpool was solid but should've had a lot more cartoonish over-the-top violence, the kind that Sam Raimi and Peter Jackson cut their teeth on or that Paul Verhoeven made memorable movies with. Imagine the violent gags from Turbo Kid done with Deadpool and you have what the movie really should have been. All in all, it was still a very enjoyable movie, and there's room for improvement on the inevitable sequels (since $260 million international opening weekend is nothing to sneeze at), but I was hoping for something else. I'll probably see it a second time now that preconceptions are gone.

Who knows, maybe we'll get some of that in the Unrated version, as it's been really hinted at.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:58 pm 

Check out my list of the best and worst movies of last year here!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:39 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
Why are people all of a sudden so concerned about children getting into R-rated movies? I swear, with as much 'don't take your kids to see Deadpool!' talk as I've seen, you'd think it was the first movie ever made that wasn't suitable for people under the age of 42.

The Red Snifit wrote:
I think it's because parents who don't pay attention see "Marvel film" and assume it's kid-friendly like all the other Marvel movies. I know a mom who took her kid and a bunch of his friends to Deadpool and was surprised (to say the least) about the content, whereas I've never known anybody who accidentally took their eight year old son to This Is The End.

This. Also because it was pretty damn strong in the R category. I mean strip club full of naked women and Renolds doing full frontal isn't really something a little kid should seeing. Not to mention the violence (which, granted wasn't really gory, more over the top and comicy) and the language. Plus the whole basis of the movie.

But yeah mostly cause it's Marvel and every other movie they've done is kid friendly and really based on the few previews I saw you wouldn't know this was going to be any different if you didn't already know or look into it at least a little.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:55 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
CrustyElmo666 wrote:
The Revenant was one of the most metal movies I have ever seen I think (lol). But seriously, I went in wit zero expectations and was completely blown away from the the first scene onward. So vivid, the way the it was filmed so that the camera is moving throughout the action makes you feel like you're in the middle of it. Such a stark and intense move one of the best I have seen in a long time.

Great!

We finally saw The Revenant and I have mixed feelings:
http://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com.es/2016/02/el-renacido-revenant.html

Quote:
I did like the scenery and the torch scenes but it felt long because of the sucession of walk-sleep scenes.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:10 pm 

Deadpool was pretty decent. It was pretty fun and it actually had a good sense of humor. Reminded me of Kick Ass and even old movies like Spaceballs and Naked Gun - just a joke a minute, and highly irreverent. It's funny all the controversy over the R rating though as this was one of the most immature things I've ever seen. The jokes were good though, in that kind of silly way. Didn't think the love interest was very interesting and that whole plot was kinda weak (hey, she's a stripper with a heart of gold, what a realistic plot thread...), but at least they took it as a joke and didn't try to force hamfisted seriousness. It did tend to feel kind of try hard, like Marvel was saying "see, we can make an R-rated movie." But it wasn't bad, a pretty enjoyable action comedy.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:15 pm 

I'm pretty excited to see how the sequel turns out - Given that there was such a positive response to this I'm hoping they'll go full-blast on risk-taking (from what I've heard, this was still somewhat toned down compared to the comic) as well as being able to do some cool stuff with a larger budget.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:09 pm 

Fuck your manboy films!

Let's talk SPLATTER!!!!

So, like all good things, there really isn't much in the way of quality splat. Here's a working list:

Dead Alive/Braindead-I don't believe this has ever been surpassed in terms of sheer quantity of blood and guts
Inside-some delightfully nasty moments in this rather stupid, yet enjoyable conservative film
Guinea Pig series-classic!
Men Behind the Sun-the squeamish need not apply!
H.G. Lewis stuff-fun shit
The Manson Family-acid death trip (questionable on the splat, but van Bebber's touch is all over it)
Urotsukidoji-YES
Amon-YES
Rabid Grannies-unsung masterpiece of euro horror. some good biting social commentary
Deadbeat at Dawn-van Bebber's magnum opus
Italo zed flicks-too many to name, all astounding
Bloodsucking Freaks-sadism hasn't been so sexy

Shit I'm not including for various reasons:
Martyrs-sadistic horror
Grindhouse-shithouse
Saw-moralitycore
Hostel-yawn
Frontiers-tcm gone right wing gone bad critique
Aftermath-might as well watch Orozco the Embalmer
Ebola Syndrome-great film but insanely low on the fluids
Basket Case-no splat
Redneck Zombies-no splat, not troma's best
Toxic Avenger series-fun, but no
Demons series-nice zombie alternative
The Descent
Wrong Turn series
Cutting Moments-awesome film

And stuff I haven't seen or it has been too long and therefore can't decide:
Schnaas/Ittenbach films-probably fantastic in the way that Lester Maddox is
Bad Karma-
Story of Ricky
Things
Lost Paradise-from Merzbow
Violence Jack-otta get these
Darkness
Mindwarp
August Underground-I'm sure these are actually masterpieces, will report back
Slaughtered Vomit Dolls series
Tumbling Doll of Flesh-looking forward to this
Dard Divorce-gonna be dumb but whatever
Murder Set Pieces-same
Kolobos-obscuro
Terror Firmer-eh, I like 80s Troma most, or what they distributed then
Untold Story-should be good, similar to Ebola Syndrome
"Melt"/slime films-microgenre
Shatter Dead
Splatter: Naked Blood
The Abomination
Biotherapy
Breeders
Pieces

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:38 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

I'll be a nice person and respond! :O

I haven't gotten around to seeing many movies last year (saw Inside Out, Kingsman, and Mad Max, and that's about it), so lists like these are super useful for me. I'll have to keep this in mind.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:37 am 

Empyreal wrote:

Pretty solid list severely lacking in Turbo Kid awesomeness. For shame, Emp. For shame.

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:42 am 

The name sounded like some kind of Spy Kids-esque thing, so I didn't see it. :lol: I'll check it out sometime after seeing your review though.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:40 am 

With some editing, it could've absolutely been a family film. A damn good one, too. However, in practice...hell nah.

darkeningday wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 573, 574, 575, 576, 577, 578, 579 ... 818  Next