Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:59 am 

The Innkeepers: Fairly entertaining though rather slow and in the end forgettable. Not that slow is a bad thing in horror, makes the few moments more atmospheric. What made me really glad was the fact that they didn't show anything in the first basement scene. What was really dumb again is how the main character behaves during the climax, but what else is to be expected.

The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry: A film noirish flick about three siblings of a formerly rich family-turned poor in a small town in... Well, feels like the south, but it's never really specified. The eldest sister is a widow while the younger brother and sister are both "old" spinsters. When the brother finds love, the younger sisters gets very jealous and possessive, trying to wreck the marriage anyway she can. The movie goes through twists and turns and pangs of conscience though a lot of it is eliminated by a very silly twist forced on director Siodmak by studio executives. Better to just ignore the last minute or two of the film completely. There are certain undertones in the relationship between the younger brother and sister that feel like the director and writer weren't allowed to completely bring out into fruition by the film code.

House by the River: An American film by Fritz Lang, thriller thick with atmosphere. A writer murders his maid and presses his righteous brother into helping him hide the body. As is proper for the films of the time, the main character and murderer is deranged, decadent, deformed even when Lang really pours on the directive juices. His brother and wife love him, though they love each other even more and while it is immoral, of course they never bring it into fruition and since the author is a madman and a murderer, it is allowed. Excellent play on the lights as is common with Lang.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:22 am 

Just watched 'Splice'... Whoa, far more disturbing than I expected it to be.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:52 am 

Calusari wrote:

Spoiler: show
The semi-incest rape scene?

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:18 am 

House by the River (1950) sounds interesting, MacMoney. I have a few noirs sitting here i need to get through, and once i watch em, i'll be back on the hunt for more. I'll add this one to the list.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:19 am 

Call_From_The_Tower wrote:
Calusari wrote:

The semi-incest rape scene?

Yes, that. The whole film took me by surprise purely because the make-up/creature effects/CGI were so incredibly well done - they managed to portray a border condition between humanity and something else that had just enough of both elements to make the viewing experience incredibly eerie. I was taken aback by the first

quasi-incest/bestiality sex-scene

and thought it couldn't get any more discomfiting; hah, was I wrong. I think the blurring of humanity and monstrosity is what makes those final scenes more memorably horrifying than any simple involvement of either; I got chills when that thing managed to
speak and tell its 'mother' that it wanted to be inside her
Incredible contribution to the mad scientist genre, and bound to be the subject of a few psychoanalysis PhDs.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:30 am 

Calusari wrote:

I really liked Splice. Great bit of Cronenberg worship.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:31 pm 

Just saw Sam's Like

Awful, awful movie. It's about some friends going to to a lake, telling a story which eventually repeats itself. Basically all you get to see is 2 people trying to kill the whole group with no storyline or whatsoever. I wouldn't have minded it that much if the kills were actually fun to watch. They weren't, they were boring as hell instead. Avoid at all cost.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:33 pm 

John Carter - 7.5 out of 10

I'll admit, this is a flawed film, but it's also getting a bad rep. Some will complain that they've seen these ideas and events before; however, while I havn't read the books, but the story that was written in the early 1900's set the mold for what Superheroes and Space Operas would use. Pretty much if it wasn't for this film, we'd never of had Star Wars, Avatar, Dune, Superman, all of them. The other problem was obviously the advertising, Disney did a shity job trying to promote this. On a whole though, it's a fun movie, and while it has problems like pacing and should have shown more. Still, the comedy is freaking funny, the action was fun and the movie dosn't hold back it's ridiculousness, it goes balls to the wall with how crazy the universe it's in. I enjoyed it and I recommend it, although not in 3D.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:01 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
After my millionth viewing, I can really say that American Psycho is one of the greatest movies ever.

I saw it recently. It's just Ok.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:28 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:
After my millionth viewing, I can really say that American Psycho is one of the greatest movies ever.

I saw it recently. It's just Ok.

Same. I liked it after I watched it more than I did while watching it. Still just a good movie, nothing great.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:51 pm 

American Psycho is a great film, not one of my personal favorites but really well made and acted, and a powerful satire too.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:19 pm 

Aurone wrote:
John Carter - 7.5 out of 10

I'll admit, this is a flawed film, but it's also getting a bad rep. Some will complain that they've seen these ideas and events before; however, while I havn't read the books, but the story that was written in the early 1900's set the mold for what Superheroes and Space Operas would use. Pretty much if it wasn't for this film, we'd never of had Star Wars, Avatar, Dune, Superman, all of them. The other problem was obviously the advertising, Disney did a shity job trying to promote this. On a whole though, it's a fun movie, and while it has problems like pacing and should have shown more. Still, the comedy is freaking funny, the action was fun and the movie dosn't hold back it's ridiculousness, it goes balls to the wall with how crazy the universe it's in. I enjoyed it and I recommend it, although not in 3D.

I agree it was really badly promoted. Basically the only dialogue in the ads were all those "inspiring speaches before the battle" things which I despise but there is literally like 4 lines of it in the whole movie. Likewise it gets played up as a kids film quite a lot for a movie with that much limb removal and blood (Albeit blue blood). I admit I did have trouble adjusting to the whole "Half gravity means you can jump several miles at once" explaination, but it is a fun movie if you just run with it.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:42 pm 

I saw Splice a while back, maybe seven or eight months ago now, and what I took away from it was that if Adrien Brody doesn't already have a spot in the Hall of Men, he certainly earned one. Not only can he bum rush and mouth rape Halle Berry on live TV at the peak of her popularity with no repercussions, but he also
has sex with his monster/alien daughter-thing, gets caught by his wife in the act, and then in the ensuing argument manage to successfully spin the blame around on to his wife, and he does it all smoothly and with class, effectively winning the argument and making his wife the bad guy for him having sex with his alien daughter
. A man can do one of these things, a legend can do both.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:54 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
American Psycho is a great film, not one of my personal favorites but really well made and acted, and a powerful satire too.

Yeah exacly, Christian Bale was tremendous in that movie. Especially the scenes where he goes on long speeches about music before murdering people. The pacing was perfect too.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:24 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I just watched Species. Man, that movie has NOT aged well. There's something about old CGI that just inherently looks like crap.

New CGI has that effect too.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:27 pm 

Nahhhhh, everyone knows The Thing remake was way better than the original.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:53 pm 

Well, it did have Norwegians. And there's nothing sexier than a Norwegian.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:15 am 

American Gothic - 2/5
This was an okay film. It's about a group of people that get stranded on an island, they go searching for help because the plane they landed there on can't be fixed. They come upon a large cottage nestled in the woods and very shortly after encounter the owners, an elderly pair named Ma and Pa. The group of friends spend the night and shit eventually hits the fan. This film feels like a better than average tv-movie, but the bad editing, predictable kills, low character development and quirky atmosphere (not sure whether it's trying to be scary or funny) spoil it. I wasn't expecting an ultra-realistic horror but at least make the characters human, there are parts in this film that feel like a cartoon. The way the characters died off was extremely predictable, the surprise towards the end was disappointing, hint: It's the thing you're expecting the most. The killers were shown off too much - this took a majority of the scare away, and the "comedic moments" were not needed. Getting that out of the way, it actually isn't that bad of a watch, for some reason it remains entertaining. There are some creepy moments that you won't forget in a hurry. The flashbacks were a good addition, I liked how the main character changed throughout the film. The family had a little bit of depth and it had a very fitting ending. If you're not expecting anything new then you might it enjoy it.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:20 am 

The Grey - I think i'm just over these movies. Man vs wild in a harsh environment, it's been done many times before and this didn't really offer anything new except a higher level of technical perfection and realism. The problem is this one wasn't enjoyable in the slightest - mainly because of the incredibly unlikeable characters. I might have said that was part the movie's point and forgiven it for this, if there weren't moments of pathos occasionally introduced like weepy music and speeches given upon the death of a companion.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:45 pm 

John Carter 3,5/5
Ok, I'm a sucker for Science fiction and Fantasy in general and John Carter made no exception. You might think it's a new, generic and bandwagon jumper movie, in a way, it is, it's almost 40 years after A New Hope, but no, the movie marks the 100th anniversary of the character, so that's something. I should read the books now. Under the high budget, there's a nice cast (Dafoe, Hinds, West, Strong...) and Taylor Kitsch shines as the lead, he's giving emotions and life to this character and there's a nice chemistry with the female lead, Lynn Collins. There's also a nice choice of costumes (yeah, ok, Kitsch is always almost naked, but the Roman-esque uniforms are cool ), nice special effects and cool settings. Finally, The movie is pure fun, not remarkable, nothing new for us, but who cares? It's well done.

I should go the theaters to see it, I'm so lazy but I hate going there.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:33 am 

The Dead Zone is easily one of the better Stephen King adaptations largely because of Christopher Walken's career defining performance as Johnny Smith. I can't decide if I liked this film better than the book since I found the latter somewhat of a disappointment but though the film is pretty good and Walken improved on the book's character , it did leave out parts of the novel that I did like.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:39 pm 

Did you see the SNL skit where Walken parodies his character from that movie? It's pretty funny, it's just him seriously warning people about imminent events but they're all mundane. Stuff like "Don't drink that coffee!" "Why not?" It's been sitting there for hours...it's going to be very cold..."

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:02 am 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
Did you see the SNL skit where Walken parodies his character from that movie? It's pretty funny, it's just him seriously warning people about imminent events but they're all mundane. Stuff like "Don't drink that coffee!" "Why not?" It's been sitting there for hours...it's going to be very cold..."

Haha, yeah I remember seeing some of that a long time ago and it was hard not to think of that skit when watching the film. Same goes for the television series too with Anthony Michael Hall in the role.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:14 am 

Expedience wrote:
The Grey - I think i'm just over these movies. Man vs wild in a harsh environment, it's been done many times before and this didn't really offer anything new except a higher level of technical perfection and realism. The problem is this one wasn't enjoyable in the slightest - mainly because of the incredibly unlikeable characters. I might have said that was part the movie's point and forgiven it for this, if there weren't moments of pathos occasionally introduced like weepy music and speeches given upon the death of a companion.

First bad thing i've read about this film ever.

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:30 pm 

New Japanese trailer for the Avengers shows the Helicarrier! Excited!

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:02 pm 

I thought the characters in The Grey were surprisingly likeable (once they kill off the annoying guy anyway) for a movie that is supposed to be filled with assholes. As I've said a few times now, I really like the way they played out the typical "Asshole who wants to argue and fight with everyone" chracter, such a cliched and annoying character, but the way they make him swing around into a genuine human being once he realises how serious the situation is is something I haven't seen before. I mean lots of movies try to change that guy right before they die, but he switches half way through the movie and I thought it was a pretty nice change.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:22 pm 

Black Sabbath - 4.5/5

A great pulpy collection of vintage horror tales, including one about a woman haunted by a ghost, another about a woman haunted by her ex-lover via the phone, and a third about a vampire set loose in the countryside - while none of these are perfect, they are cool as hell and I really liked the classic horror movie style abundant in all three. These are just really well told little tales, compact and chilling, with a ton of mystique and flare to make them extra theatrical. The introductions from horror veteran Boris Karloff don't hurt at all. This is just a lot of fun. Great stuff.

Rubber - 3/5

You know, I never thought I would be underwhelmed by a movie about a psychic tire who blows up people heads and falls in love with a human woman, but here it is anyway. This movie sure blows a lot of hot air by breaking the fourth wall at the beginning to tell us how the film is an homage to classic movie moments that don't make sense - but really that's like comparing a mountain to a molehill, as while several films did indeed have moments that made no sense, this is an entire MOVIE that makes no sense. There's a difference. Mostly this is just weird and more weird. It's got its moments but really I expected to enjoy Rubber a lot more than I did. As it is this film is just a curiosity - it is not funny or witty enough to really warrant a second viewing.

Hobo With a Shotgun - 4.5/5

THIS, on the other hand, is totally badass. Yeah, it's pretty corny and over the top, but it's an exciting as hell action/revenge film in the mode of The Dark Knight, Sin City and The Crow, and me, I thought this thing was the shit. Rutger Hauer is an awesome actor, the technicolor coloring is great, the action is bloody and over the top, the lead girl looks hot and the story is imbued with a startling sense of seriousness that surprisingly adds a lot to the film, and makes it all the more gripping. You would think something like this trying to be gritty and hard-assed would come off as try-hard, but Hobo With a Shotgun is actually really awesome. Go see it if you like these kinds of movies.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:22 pm 

Wrongfully Acused 3,25/5

Yet another film starring Leslie Nielsen. I haven't seen many movies featuring him yet, but the ones that I've seen didn't disappoint and this is no exception. The plot aint that interesting but the jokes and funny parts really make me laugh out loud. Yeah, there's lots of silly stuff going on but I guess I'm a sucker for these kind of things. Pretty decent movie.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:55 am 

Just saw Inception. Well, I say "saw" but I only watched half of it then skipped to the end. I'm sure I didn't miss much. I'm just in awe about all the hype there was when it first came out. Nice effects but everything else... just no. I go to the movies to watch a story not listen to the plot explained to me through fast-cut 'dramatic' exchanges. Even if the characters did have personality and didn't speak in the same monotone voice, including the girl, it still would have been far too boring to last 2.5 hours. My dreams are so much more interesting than this.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:35 am 

Expedience wrote:
Just saw Inception. Well, I say "saw" but I only watched half of it then skipped to the end. I'm sure I didn't miss much. I'm just in awe about all the hype there was when it first came out. Nice effects but everything else... just no. I go to the movies to watch a story not listen to the plot explained to me through fast-cut 'dramatic' exchanges. Even if the characters did have personality and didn't speak in the same monotone voice, including the girl, it still would have been far too boring to last 2.5 hours. My dreams are so much more interesting than this.

???

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:13 am 

Expedience wrote:

I'll never get the Cristopher Nolan hype, some people really think he's a genius. From what I gather so far, it's bloated expository pretentious stuff. I think in The Dark Night, there are bits where dialogue isn't even necessary or when there's no dialogue, but there's more character development than 2 minutes of exposition. Explaining every single bit is overrated dude, a good cinematographer should know how to use the... ''unspoken''.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:04 pm 

I kind of liked Inception when I saw it the first time in theatres, but it dosen't hold up on repeat viewings. Plus South Park ruined it for me. I have nothing but fanboy praise for his Batman films though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:15 pm 

Inception is a brilliantly made film but sadly it's not as flat out entertaining as it should be. I still like it though. Expositiony, sure, but it's interesting enough to me anyway. Pretty cool concepts. It's just a bit weighty is all.

The Batman films and The Prestige are amazing though.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:17 pm 

For sure, The Prestige is probably my favourite film of his.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:10 pm 

Haven't you guys seen Memento?!

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:17 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I kind of liked Inception when I saw it the first time in theatres, but it dosen't hold up on repeat viewings.

unlike Shutter Island which gets better with repeat viewings.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:25 pm 

I have seen Memento. Definitely a creative movie, but it really is only shocking and actually interesting the first time you see it. Still good but definitely not Nolan's best.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:42 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
I'll never get the Cristopher Nolan hype, some people really think he's a genius. From what I gather so far, it's bloated expository pretentious stuff. I think in The Dark Night, there are bits where dialogue isn't even necessary or when there's no dialogue, but there's more character development than 2 minutes of exposition. Explaining every single bit is overrated dude, a good cinematographer should know how to use the... ''unspoken''.

I think you mean screenwriting, the cinematography was great. Which is confusing because I thought the screenwriting was really well done in Memento. The structure of that movie was its exposition, and you joined the main character in his story. I need to watch Dark Knight again but my first viewing of it was just as unengaging as Inception. Then again it's possible blockbuster movies like these need to be seen on a big screen, but as I said I liked Momento on DVD.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:44 pm 

I think Memento gets a pretty raw deal when people call it a movie that is only interesting when you don't know the twist, kind of like Fight Club in that regard. Sure the twist is pretty shocking and is a big event, but the way he interacts with people is fun to watch, there are a few bits of black humour, and I could watch it over and over without getting bored. These movies aren't The Sixth Sense.

Edit: And the topic of Inception, it did have a lot of exposition, but I felt it was largely warranted, since they were basically doing a heist movie, which always have a lot of the planning phase, I guess Nolan maybe over did the explaination of the mechanics of how the whole dream world works, but I still had fun. My biggest issue with the film was how mediocre most of the action was, except for the rotating gravity fight. On the topic of the Dark Night, I really loved it in the cinemas, but watching on DVD all of the multitude of flaws/"old superhero cliches that the series supposedly is above doing" show up a lot more clearly for some reason. I always thought Batman Begins was a turd.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:11 pm 

Inception had some great cinematography and a cool premise, but the execution wasn't quite right - the plot falls to bits upon closer inspection, there are simply too many plot elements introduced too late in the film, it gives the feeling that they were sort of making it up as it went along. By the end, it's just an incoherent jumble of half-developed ideas, each of which could have been cool if it were fully thought-out but ultimately unsatisfying and incomplete. The "twist" at the end was silly, as well.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328 ... 818  Next