Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:18 pm 

Back Stabbath wrote:
No one even goes to the movies anymore, they just take photos of themselves.

Can't tell if you were being sarcastic with this or not, so just in case, I'll still award you the Grumpy Old Man Comment of the Day :-P

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:18 am 

I'm with Back Stabbath... the amount of idiots playing with their smartphones during the movie at any given screening is shocking. I think I'm gonna sell a coupla records to build my own home cinema...

watched The Loft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bJZYqGfYGE second remake of the 2008 original, if you're into starting at the beginning. and it's (still) much smarter than it looks.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:57 pm 

Finally saw Terminator Genisys, and agree with the assessment from the previous page that it's clearly better than Terminator Salvation. I didn't mind the PG-13 rating that much, and although Emilia Clarke wasn't amazing or anything, I wasn't constantly thinking about Game of Thrones whenever she was onscreen like I'd feared. It's a shame the official poster gives away a plot point that would probably work better if it completely surprised the audience.

Quote:
I read the first quarter of [Kevin Smith's] script for Superman Lives too. I wish that movie had gotten made based on what I read.

I just watched the documentary The Death of "Superman Lives": What Happened? and plenty of people involved in that canceled Tim Burton / Nicolas Cage Superman movie agreed to be interviewed, including Smith. Cage himself apparently didn't, but there is still plenty of old footage of him from the late 90s trying on costumes and talking with Burton and other behind the scenes players. I understand why Warner Brothers, which had a string of underperforming films around the time, eventually got cold feet and pulled the plug. Still, it's tragic that this potentially awesome movie never got made, and fucking Wild Wild West did.

Oh, and back to Kevin Smith for a moment? I'll give him some credit for trying something different with Tusk (as opposed to Clerks 3, which is supposedly in pre-production :nono: ) but honestly I thought the first Human Centipede was better.

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:51 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Back Stabbath wrote:
No one even goes to the movies anymore, they just take photos of themselves.

Can't tell if you were being sarcastic with this or not, so just in case, I'll still award you the Grumpy Old Man Comment of the Day :-P

Thanks man!

I'd rather they film themselves and put it on redtube, so can I have a dirty old man award too?

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:12 pm 

Odd thing I discovered; Vacation is actually funny and a good companion to the first movie. It goes out of it's way to pay homage to the first while retaining a level of modern humour to it's advantage. I thought it was going to suck based on the little arsehole kid in the trailer but he's only a fragment and that attitude is only reserved to him. I never thought Ed Helms as a respectable actor but Vacation won me over. Decent character arcs for a modern American comedy and moments of heart that all good comedies need.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:52 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
I just watched the documentary The Death of "Superman Lives": What Happened? and plenty of people involved in that canceled Tim Burton / Nicolas Cage Superman movie agreed to be interviewed, including Smith. Cage himself apparently didn't, but there is still plenty of old footage of him from the late 90s trying on costumes and talking with Burton and other behind the scenes players. I understand why Warner Brothers, which had a string of underperforming films around the time, eventually got cold feet and pulled the plug. Still, it's tragic that this potentially awesome movie never got made, and fucking Wild Wild West did.
It was mostly disappointing, already heard Kevin Smith's big spiel so it was just retrodden ground but with lots of cool artwork, Tim Burton whines every answer hardly given any further insight at all - just vague explanations about drawings and very brief reasons about it's collapse, Schnepp never says one hard hitting question ever, lame no-acting ability cos-players reenacting scenes, Nic Cage not being in it really ruined something that could have been potentially good.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:05 pm 

Creed, starring Michael B. Jordan, was really fucking good.

Last edited by ~Guest 98976 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:53 pm 

aloof wrote:
I'm with Back Stabbath... the amount of idiots playing with their smartphones during the movie at any given screening is shocking. I think I'm gonna sell a coupla records to build my own home cinema...

Maybe it's different elsewhere, but I've found that people generally keep their phones hidden during the movie here. It has happened that a little rectangular light will appear, but it's really rare.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:14 pm 

So Krampus was fun. Just a silly, enjoyable horror movie with some actually good comedy. I rarely see horror comedies that actually do both of those things well, but this did - funny dialogue mixed with bone-chilling suspense later on and some truly gruesome, over the top creatures. It's a PG-13, which I was wary of, but they managed to crank out an entertaining flick anyway. The only major hindrance was a lack of blood and gore, which would have really given this an extra oomph. But I found myself entertained throughout. I like that this was actually a mainstream horror movie that wasn't shitty, and was about something cool and had cool scenes. So many big, mainstream horror movies are just snoozefests that do nothing interesting, but this gives me some hope for the genre.

Beasts of No Nation - wow, really hardcore, punishing, dark film about African child soldiers. The cinematography was stunning and the story was as harsh and brutal as you'd expect. Abraham Attah as the young boy lead character was stunningly good, and Idris Elba is magnetic. Cary Fukunaga really went above and beyond, and this was a dead serious work of art in film. Masterfully done.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:10 am 

MikeyC wrote:
aloof wrote:

Maybe it's different elsewhere, but I've found that people generally keep their phones hidden during the movie here. It has happened that a little rectangular light will appear, but it's really rare.
I rarely go to the movies but I've had two instances this year of someone looking at their phone, scrolling through google and checking the weather while the movie is playing.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:55 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
I rarely go to the movies but I've had two instances this year of someone looking at their phone, scrolling through google and checking the weather while the movie is playing.

That is crazy and sad at the same time. Not to mention it disturbs other viewers.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:58 pm 

Well, were they shitty movies?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:57 pm 

One was Avengers 2, other was Jurassic World.
MikeyC wrote:
volutetheswarth wrote:

That is crazy and sad at the same time. Not to mention it disturbs other viewers.

If you're sitting next to them it's impossible to ignore. What I do now is put my phone on light mode and shine the obnoxiously bright LED right in their eyes, sometimes strobe it, until they stop and emotionally admit they're a shit human.

Kaickul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:33 am 

Anyone here have seen any of these 2?

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:45 am 

No, but Vampire in Brooklyn is a fine film, underrated as hell.

Goosebumps = buhoooo. Was totally disappointed. I devoured the original books growing up, I read almost all of them up until that Cry of the Cat shit between my first and second grades. But yeah this movie was awkward and predictable and boring, albeit with some cool monster/effects action.

The Night Before - was that even the name? I'm forgetting, but this was also boring and predictable and too re-hashed to feel really funny.

Saw Specter a second time...and man the franchise really has run out of idears.

I also had to begrudgingly sit through a screening of the Waterboy again. The part where the professor gets nailed in the face with the baseball still gets me.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:21 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
If you're sitting next to them it's impossible to ignore. What I do now is put my phone on light mode and shine the obnoxiously bright LED right in their eyes, sometimes strobe it, until they stop and emotionally admit they're a shit human.

That's a... really good idea.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:32 pm 

Kaickul wrote:
Anyone here have seen any of these 2?

Yes, both are decent ultra-schlockfests. Stay the hell away from Blackenstein, though.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:56 pm 

Blacula and the sequel are definitely worth a watch.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:18 pm 

Frankenhooker was surprisingly good with some funny moments, had a Reanimator vibe about it, got the impression from the concept to the wacky humour that Stuart Gordon directed it.

Also has a positive rating from Bill Murray on the cover.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:54 pm 

I wasn't aware that a new Tarzan was coming but this looks decent. Christoph Waltz plays the bad guy again haha.

Spoiler: show

http://comicbook.com/2015/12/09/the-leg ... nder-skar/
Quote:
This time around, Legend starts with Tarzan (played by True Blood's Alexander Skarsgard) out of the jungle, as John Clayton III, a decade removed from his jungle home and completely established in the British upperclass. Tarzan is sent by Parliament as an emissary to return to the Congo, where his now wife Jane (Suicide Squad's Margot Robbie), and old friends are put in danger.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:21 am 

Krampus kicked fucking ass!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:18 am 

Yeah? Please tell me it's goofy, ridiculous, and gory in all the right ways. I'm rather fond of Krampus but skeptical about the movie. After seeing the trailer I figured it would be the typical horror film hollywood makes these days, just middle of the road drek.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:32 am 

It isn't gory, but it's a lot of fun, very creative and an overall good, evil time. You'll like it.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:06 pm 

Is Krampus an R or was it made for a PG audience?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:44 pm 

Christmas with the Krampus?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:52 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Is Krampus an R or was it made for a PG audience?

It's a PG-13, which I was wary of, but they worked around that and delivered a cool movie anyway - it doesn't feel too wimped out.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:18 pm 

Frankly, it didn't need gore.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:53 am 

I could see it having gore and being hilariously over-the-top splatstick, but I think that would ruin its charm. It's like Gremlins in the sense that it's got a lot of dark comedy blended with its horror and you can show it to kids who are a little more mature. Not 5 or 6 year olds, necessarily, but 10? 11? Sure, why not.

re: Frankenhooker
This movie works best, I've found, if you imagine it as a really wild Seinfeld episode. The main character (who I recognized from a bit part in Robocop 3 the first time I saw it) is George, his girlfriend's Elaine, etc. It's a fun piece of schlock that just gets goofier as it goes on, so I'd absolutely recommend it.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:15 pm 

Krampus seems like the kind of film that would come across as insincere if it was made R-rated. And that's coming from someone who's generally opposed to the idea of PG-13 horror.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:58 pm 

So The Good Dinosaur might be Pixar's most unnecessary movie. On one hand, the environments might be the most realistic animation I've ever seen in my life, on the other, everything about it is boring as hell and it tries way too hard to elicit feels without making them feel earned or good writing to back it up. Very easily skip worthy.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:34 am 

^I'm devastated. I really had my hopes up for The Good Dinosaur. Not really.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:21 am 

Southpaw is like the modern Rocky! super good movie!

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:08 am 

Saw Creed. Kept me engaged throughout, good performances, all around a solid flick but I couldn't help but feel like they could have done more with it. Guess it's easy to feel like that when you aren't the one actually making the movie though. 7/10

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:26 am 

Trailer for the new Star Trek movie is out.

Yuck. I need a shower.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:14 am 

That looks fucking atrocious.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:24 am 

I don't really watch movies anymore, but I saw this one last night:

The Beast of Xmoor - 0/100 - Words cannot describe how fucking terrible this film was, absolutely horrendous. For starters, throughout the movie they prounounce it "X-moor" and in the movie it's spelled "Ex-moor"...so the name of the fucking "beast" is literally misspelled in the title. It's basically a film about a couple who are trying to film a documentary about panthers killing sheep in Ireland, and they have this weird guide with them. yada yada yada they find themselves in the middle of a serial killer's dumping ground, and the guide says "Actually, there is no such thing as panthers, I lead you here so we can capture this killer". Radical hijinks ensue. Like any current horror flick, it's filled with ridiculous dialogue and stupid decisions from characters...but I have literally never seen anything quite like this. For example, after the "real" killer emerges, the group separates and the boyfriend trips on a root, and from there he literally spends the rest of the movie comatose. At one point, the girlfriend is looking at the surveillance cameras they set up to capture the "beast", and sees the killer standing over his unconscious body with a machine gun. Naturally, the next logical step in any rational human being would be to grab a handful of flares and runs into the woods lighting the flares and screaming at the top of her lungs, and is completely shocked when the killer notices her and starts to blindly shoot at her...I mean what the fuck?. There's a Romanian girl they find in the woods who is apparently supposed to be a "good guy" (or girl, whatever), but she makes a habit of randomly attacking the people who are trying to save her for no apparent reason...the movie also makes a habit of establishing just about every current horror movie trope or cliche you could imagine, but only bothers to go about 25% of the way before abandoning it. It's as if the directors weren't sure what kind of movie they wanted to make...they just wrote down a list of everything that is popular and trendy today and randomly threw it into their generic pile of shit movie. It's like this movie has ADHD or something - a lot of really terrible half-baked ideas too short of an attention span to even completely form them. Fuck this movie. I'll admit it was well shot and looked professional, but honestly I think that makes it worse, because it shows that the film actually had a budget (something you can't say for something like "Glen or Glenda?", for example). Anyway, rant over.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:27 am 

Expedience wrote:

Yuck. I need a shower.

It looks okay but there's a certain action/Fast and the Furious feel about it which is not Star Trek. I'll reserve judgement until I see it, but expectations have been slightly lowered.

true_death wrote:
The Beast of Xmoor - 0/100

Your experience makes me want to see this. :P

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Redclouds
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:50 am 

Expedience wrote:

Wow, the director has probably never seen a Star Trek movie in his life. This is pretty much Guardians of the Galaxy.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:03 am 

Haha wow...yeah. Hmm. I liked the nu-Trek movies pretty well when I first saw them, then still enjoyed them after watching all of TOS and TAS and the original cast movies. They're not perfect and certainly not as good as the best TOS cast movies, but they're also far better than the worst of those.

That said, this looks completely shitty. I can barely even remember anything about the trailer I just watched except for reusing "Sabotage" and a bunch of slo-mo jumping and fighting. This looks like dumb bro Avatar or something more than Trek.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:32 pm 

hahahaha, that trailer looks like sheer AIDS.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 564, 565, 566, 567, 568, 569, 570 ... 818  Next